PDA

View Full Version : HELP: Forum "Lingo" and Basics

FriendofBillW
05-27-2011, 02:27 PM
hello everyone. i am brand new to this forum and am incredibly interested in becoming a bigger part in it or atleast getting more involved. in order to do so i am still trying to figure out the basics of how to go about doing things on here. i've noticed some lingo on here that i just dont understand. wondering if some people would be kind enough to help. here is a few examples:

ive been able to find out that PM = private message

but what about WTB, WTT, "bump", etc.

also. are there any tips anyone can give me as to how to go about participating in the forum? thank you all!!

softshot
05-27-2011, 02:31 PM
hello everyone. i am brand new to this forum and am incredibly interested in becoming a bigger part in it or atleast getting more involved. in order to do so i am still trying to figure out the basics of how to go about doing things on here. i've noticed some lingo on here that i just dont understand. wondering if some people would be kind enough to help. here is a few examples:

ive been able to find out that PM = private message

but what about WTB, WTT, "bump", etc.

also. are there any tips anyone can give me as to how to go about participating in the forum? thank you all!!

WTB Want to Buy

WTT Want to Trade

bump bring up my post

OP Original Post

CB Cue ball

OB object ball

STFU shut the F*** up

LOL Laugh out loud

YMMV Your Mileage may vary

OMGWTF Oh MY God What the F***

just off the top of my head:thumbup:

justadub
05-27-2011, 02:37 PM
To elaborate, a "bump" is someone making a post in a thread to move it back to the top of the most recently posted threads, "to the top" of the list, where folks see it first. Often used to bring a thread back onto the first page of the forum, after so many other threads have had posts that it is moved to the second (or later) page.

OP is original poster.

Can't think of any others this moment, if they strike me I'll chime back in.

softshot
05-27-2011, 02:37 PM
P.S. never ask how to aim a cut shot.... just trust me on that:cool:

DogsPlayingPool
05-27-2011, 02:39 PM
Welcome to the forum. Here are some things you will need to know:

AZB Orientation:

1) Garbage is collected on Mondays.

2) The showers are in the main forum, down the hall on the left.

3) Do not put chalk face down on the rails.

4) The toilets are located directly above the “Ask the Instructor” area. The door is marked “Non Pool Related”. Take air freshener because it gets foul in there sometimes.

5) See Jay Helfert for your bunk assignment.

--------

WTS = Want to sell.

IIRC = If I recall correctly.

GMTA = Great minds think alike.

IMO, IMHO = In my humble opinion.

LMAO = Laughing my ass off.

LTIC = Last time I checked.

AFAIK = As far as I know.

SVB = Shane Van Boening.

BCA = Billiard Congress of America, although also used to refer to the BCA Pool League (no affiliation with the BCA)

WPA = World Pool Association.

DCC = Derby City Classic.

First! = I'm still not sure what this means.:grin-square:

justadub
05-27-2011, 02:41 PM

Oh hell, that reminds me...

CTE - Center-to-edge, a controversial aiming system.

DCP - Dr.Cues Protege, a poster here.

SBE - Super Billiards Expo, a huge pool extravaganza

APA - American Poolplayers Association, a pool league

BCAPL - another league

VNEA - and another

TAP - and yet another

not to be confused with "tap, tap, tap" a phrase used to acknowledge a good post.

justadub
05-27-2011, 02:44 PM
CSI - Cue Sports International, the folks that run BCAPL and several other things in the pool world, generally acknowledged to be industry leaders (they post here often, very cool)

DCC - another huge pool extravaganza

Maniac
05-27-2011, 02:45 PM

What he meant was: If you see the acronym "CTE" on a forum, DO NOT open that thread ;):grin::grin::grin:!!!

Seriously Friend, play around with thing like User CP, Search, and other assorted places that can bring up info (like clicking onto someone's username in their avatar). You can find a whole lot of things out by just "playing around".

Maniac

TX Poolnut
05-27-2011, 02:48 PM

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to softshot again.

Tramp Steamer
05-27-2011, 02:50 PM

Ditt-freakin'-o.
Welcome to AZB, by-the-way. :)

9BallPaul
05-27-2011, 02:52 PM
quote; also. are there any tips anyone can give me as to how to go about participating in the forum? thank you all!!

Stay away from the NPR forum, where mods lurk with sharp teeth and blood on their hands.

danquixote
05-27-2011, 02:57 PM
Welcome to the forum. I'll not elaborate on the acronyms as you seem to be getting a good start from others. I will offer some friendly encouragement. You have stumbled upon what I perceive to be, the best collection of pool knowledge ever assembled. There are those here that will demand you learn the search function, there are also some that will deliberately disagree with whatever opinion you may put forth on any subject. By and large though, this is the greatest bunch of folks bonded by a common passion that I have ever had the pleasure of associating with. Most of the time your questions will be answered with honesty and enthusiasm. Again.....welcome to the forum........Dan

PS.....never post anything concerning the APA or Kamui products j/k

PSS..... j/k = just kidding

ric23
05-27-2011, 03:07 PM
It's okay to ask questions and help BUUUUTTTTTTT, please learn how to use the search function too. People are more than willing to help here but sometimes, are just tired of repeating themselves. Welcome to the forum!

sfleinen
05-27-2011, 03:09 PM
quote; also. are there any tips anyone can give me as to how to go about participating in the forum? thank you all!!

Stay away from the NPR forum, where mods lurk with sharp teeth and blood on their hands.

FriendofBillW:

And that's a good one right there:

NPR = Non-Pool Related, a forum here that is the veritable "bit bucket" (black hole) of AZBilliards. They do NOT talk about pool there.

If you are ever concerned about your total post count (you'll notice all the posters have a post count under the "Status" line under their screenname/avatar), all you have to do is cross the event horizon into the Non-Pool Related forum, and you'll be sucked up into an abyss. You'll have to find ways of breaking Einstein's Theory of Relativity, by escaping NPR's immense gravity. But once you do, you'll find out that you'll emerge from the event horizon with 10,000+ posts credited to your total post count, and much wearier/haggard from the experience. Don't do that until you're ready, though. Some posters have crossed the event horizon and never returned.

You've been warned! :)

-Sean

jimmy-leggs
05-27-2011, 03:32 PM
Nit-DippyD

Slasher
05-27-2011, 03:35 PM
OGNASFAT

Oh
God
Not
Another
Stupid
F*****g
Aiming
Thread

justadub
05-27-2011, 04:09 PM
Oh, and certainly be prepared for the time when you ask a question, and someone responds... "use the search function, dammit!"

Never mind that very often the search function doesn't give you the results you are looking for, or so many responses that you have no way of picking through them all. You are supposed to know this.

I'm only partially joking. Seriously, the real message here is to not let those who wanna play forum-cop get you down. They really are the minority.

TX Poolnut
05-27-2011, 04:12 PM
Don't forget your password.

justadub
05-27-2011, 04:33 PM
"rep"

There is a little button with blue in it in the top right corner of each post, that says "add to (posters name)s reputation.

You can use it to "reward" someone ("green") for what you consider to be a really good post, or you can use it to take someone to task ("red") for what they posted.

In the end it doesn't matter, because it's so easily manipulated these days. But I use it as an "attaboy/girl" when I really agree with someone. There is a way to see what everyone's rep is, tho i can't tell you how to do so. (Use the search funstion, dammit! :p )

You can check what has to been sent to you by clicking on the "User CP" button in the top left hand corner. I'll leave you some for example.

TX Poolnut
05-27-2011, 04:51 PM
OGNASFAT

Oh
God
Not
Another
Stupid
F*****g
Aiming
Thread

I'm gonna have to remember that one. :)

rayjay
05-27-2011, 06:06 PM
Welcome to AZB...there's lots of Bill's friends here. Does he have an aiming system too?
:p

Roadking
05-27-2011, 08:03 PM
Get outta here wile you still can!!!!

pwd72s
05-27-2011, 08:10 PM
You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to softshot again.

\That's okay...I gave him a greenie...funnier than hell.

DogsPlayingPool
05-27-2011, 08:10 PM
FriendofBillW:

And that's a good one right there:

NPR = Non-Pool Related, a forum here that is the veritable "bit bucket" (black hole) of AZBilliards. They do NOT talk about pool there.

If you are ever concerned about your total post count (you'll notice all the posters have a post count under the "Status" line under their screenname/avatar), all you have to do is cross the event horizon into the Non-Pool Related forum, and you'll be sucked up into an abyss. You'll have to find ways of breaking Einstein's Theory of Relativity, by escaping NPR's immense gravity. But once you do, you'll find out that you'll emerge from the event horizon with 10,000+ posts credited to your total post count, and much wearier/haggard from the experience. Don't do that until you're ready, though. Some posters have crossed the event horizon and never returned.

You've been warned! :)

-Sean

Boy, ain't that the truth, Sean. I remember the elders telling scary tales of NPR around the campfire at AZB overnight camp when I was a boy. :grin:

Scaramouche
05-27-2011, 09:00 PM

Check the Snooker forum - the gentlemen's game :D

Be warned:
Throughout this site lurk trolls who will attack you.
Don't argue or retaliate in kind.
Ignore them.
You need not point out that they are idiots, we already know what they are.

3RAILKICK
05-27-2011, 09:06 PM
Friend of -

Welcome to the forums.

In many ways AZ can be like being in your local poolroom. Stuff happens.

Have fun. Protect yourself at all times.

Take Care

12310bch
05-28-2011, 12:29 AM
It's okay to ask questions and help BUUUUTTTTTTT, please learn how to use the search function too. People are more than willing to help here but sometimes, are just tired of repeating themselves. Welcome to the forum!

Ignore this post. ric23 is probably a a really nice guy but he doesn't spend enough time on the Main Forum to understand that your questions are welcome and the members are always willing to give you advice on how to get the effing ball in the hole. You will also get links for information to follow.
These are invaluable and will open up the pool world to you.

Oh shit! One exception. If you want info on aiming systems,

Use the effing Search Function!!!

:welcome:

gunzby
05-28-2011, 04:50 AM
Wheatbucks = better than gold

pt109
05-28-2011, 05:03 AM
Get outta here wile you still can!!!!

You can check out any time you like....
..but you can never leave

pt..<...loves the Eagles

pulzcul
05-28-2011, 08:53 AM
Run Forrest Run !! Welcome and enjoy. You can't go back now. Don

pulzcul
05-28-2011, 08:57 AM
Ok who's BillW?:confused:

donuteric
05-28-2011, 09:41 AM
BEM - Bird-eye maple.

Took me forever to realize that.

pulzcul
05-28-2011, 10:57 AM
BEM - Bird-eye maple.

Took me forever to realize that.

Now your just showin' off

DogsPlayingPool
05-28-2011, 12:38 PM

Hopefully you'll find out if you ever need to. :wink:

asiasdad
05-28-2011, 01:52 PM

Hopefully you'll find out if you ever need to. :wink:

and hopefully if you ever need to, you'll find a friend who is
really doing the deal.
:cool:

Frankenstroke
05-28-2011, 02:28 PM
Jay Helfert is THE MAN. When he talks, you listen.
And buy his book.

paksat
05-28-2011, 05:15 PM
Welcome to the forum. Here are some things you will need to know:

AZB Orientation:

1) Garbage is collected on Mondays.

2) The showers are in the main forum, down the hall on the left.

3) Do not put chalk face down on the rails.

4) The toilets are located directly above the “Ask the Instructor” area. The door is marked “Non Pool Related”. Take air freshener because it gets foul in there sometimes.

5) See Jay Helfert for your bunk assignment.

--------

WTS = Want to sell.

IIRC = If I recall correctly.

GMTA = Great minds think alike.

IMO, IMHO = In my humble opinion.

LMAO = Laughing my ass off.

LTIC = Last time I checked.

AFAIK = As far as I know.

SVB = Shane Van Boening.

BCA = Billiard Congress of America, although also used to refer to the BCA Pool League (no affiliation with the BCA)

WPA = World Pool Association.

DCC = Derby City Classic.

First! = I'm still not sure what this means.:grin-square:

LOL nice

Discussion starts at sun-up, bright and shine... don't be late

TX Poolnut
05-28-2011, 05:21 PM
Never forget PINOY = safe bet. :thumbup:

FriendofBillW
05-31-2011, 10:39 PM
thank you so much everyone.. i must say... i really do feel welcomed.. it feels great to be around fellow pool lovers. be it internet or not. thanks again look forward to the az life!

Brian in VA
06-01-2011, 09:31 AM
Welcome to AZ! Since everyone else has schooled you on some of the tricks of the trade I'll suggest:

Go back and read anything started by SmorgAssBored....probably belongs in the AZ HOF.

Read anything by JAM...I've never seen her post anything that didn't make me smile and / or think.

Finally, never shave or post when you're angry. Or have had too much to drink. Don't ask how I learned this.

Enjoy your time in the greatest collection of pool info on the web.

Brian in VA