PDA

View Full Version : Resources to teach jumping

Big Arm
05-28-2011, 10:44 AM
I used the search function, but maybe used the wrong words to get what I wanted. I would like to learn to jump the cue ball. Does anyone have good resources on how to do that? Videos, articles, etc.? Thanks for the help.

pulzcul
05-28-2011, 10:53 AM
Mike, try these. Then practice. Then come play us. Don
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vhRdDcKlyZo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XPBQqmPEM4g&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qz_aERglSgw&feature=related

cigardave
05-28-2011, 11:20 AM
Here's another... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vx28lpJgwEc

The thing to focus on after you understand the basics is to aim the jump cue through (or just slightly below) the core of the cue ball.

The "core" of the cue ball is an imaginary small dot in the very center of the cue ball.

Remember... Align the jump cue with the core.

dr_dave
05-28-2011, 02:07 PM
I used the search function, but maybe used the wrong words to get what I wanted. I would like to learn to jump the cue ball. Does anyone have good resources on how to do that? Videos, articles, etc.? Thanks for the help.FYI, links to some good videos and articles on this topic can be found here:
http://billiards.colostate.edu/threads/jump.html#technique

Enjoy,
Dave

justadub
05-28-2011, 02:23 PM
If I remember correctly, Robin Dodson posted here recently that she was making an instructional video regarding jumping, as well. Don't recall seeing if it had been completed or not yet.

JesseAllred
05-28-2011, 02:40 PM
this guy has my favorite jumping instructional on how to do the "dart" jump method, check it out, it might be easier to learn than the traditional method.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FrHcCBJp0wY&playnext=1&list=PL29743C50097E820E

Big Arm
05-28-2011, 06:47 PM
Thanks for the information. I watched a couple of videos and went to the bar. My wife and I practiced for an hour or so and we were able to get the cue ball to raise a little but not nearly enough to jump a ball. The videos I watched said "It's fun and easy!". I found it fun trying, but by no means EASY.

whammo57
05-28-2011, 06:58 PM
If you have a good jump cue with a good jump tip (most important) the cue ball almost jumps by it self. I like the dart method but it is not as accurate as other methods.

Kim

pulzcul
05-28-2011, 09:13 PM
When and if you get to Kalispell let me know. I've got some white diamond tips that will amaze you. Try my old Quetec Eliminator jump/break. With the diamond tip it jumps as well or better than any jumper I've tried. Don

pulzcul
05-28-2011, 09:15 PM
Thanks for the information. I watched a couple of videos and went to the bar. My wife and I practiced for an hour or so and we were able to get the cue ball to raise a little but not nearly enough to jump a ball. The videos I watched said "It's fun and easy!". I found it fun trying, but by no means EASY.

The cue ball you were jumping at the bar was probably a bit heavy. Very difficult to move. Try it with your home ball.

JB Cases
05-28-2011, 11:05 PM
http://www.bunjeebilliards.com/

You can download a tutorial that Tom Simpson did for us when I owned Bunjee. Also you can see some videos of jumping.

Big Arm
05-29-2011, 10:06 AM
Plan on going again today to try. I will take my own cue ball this time and see if it helps. Thanks for the help!

chevybob20
05-29-2011, 10:35 AM
Relax, relax, relax. If you tighten your grip it won't work. Think loose and quick through the ball.

Big Arm
05-29-2011, 12:11 PM
Don,
I have two weeks to work and then get about two months off so I will be able to meet you just about anytime it is convenient for you. I think I would like that very much!

Rod
05-29-2011, 12:49 PM

As mentioned the bar cue ball is probably heavier. Another disadvantage is 3/4" slate used on most bar tables (it gives or flexes). Just like the c/b, slate thickness makes a big difference.

Rod

pulzcul
05-29-2011, 03:21 PM
Don,
I have two weeks to work and then get about two months off so I will be able to meet you just about anytime it is convenient for you. I think I would like that very much!

Just shoot me a pm. I looking to get work out of town so it will be about timing. Don

Big Arm
05-29-2011, 06:10 PM
Don,

I hope looking for work out of town is what you want. I will pm you. My wife and I went to the bar again today (as if that isn't everyday!) and we were able to jump over a piece of chalk. Still not high enough for a ball, but an improvement!

Chi2dxa
05-29-2011, 06:36 PM
If you want to get better at jumping go to the hardware store and by a small piece of plexi-glass and put it on the table and the CB on top of that to practice your jumps. This way you will not harm your cloth. You will soon get the hang of it and will never look back because once you have learned how to jump you never forget it.

poolandpokerman
05-29-2011, 07:31 PM
I can jump very good in a pool room, when I get to a bar and heavy cue ball, well I have problems. What should you do different when jumping in a bar with big cue ball. Thanks for the help. Tom

Big Arm
05-30-2011, 10:02 AM
Will work on it again today. Wish me luck.

Spantiznik
05-30-2011, 10:24 AM
If you have a good jump cue with a good jump tip (most important) the cue ball almost jumps by it self. I like the dart method but it is not as accurate as other methods.

Kim

What type of tip ?

Would this be the same type of tip that you would have on a Breaking Cue ?

Joelh
05-30-2011, 11:09 AM
I just want to thank Big Arm for starting this thread and Pulzcul & Cigar Dave for the links.

I've never been able to jump, but after watching those videos and twenty minutes of practice I was able to jump with my playing cue (I don't have a jump cue).

The loose grip is extremely important.

Thanks Again!:thumbup:

Scott Lee
05-30-2011, 11:19 AM
A couple of learning hints that others haven't mentioned yet...

1) the tip should go through the CB to the cloth...not a stabbing motion. Imagine the tip penetrating the top of the CB, and coming out the back side.

2) angle the jump cue, based on how close you are to the OB to be jumped...the closer you are, the steeper the angle. The CB will leave the table at the same angle it goes into the table.

3) keep your elbow (grip hand) in close to your body. This works well for underhand jumping, or dart style.

4) keep a very loose grip. It's the lightness of the jumpcue that allows it to 'get out of the way'. A tight grip will not aid in jumping.

Hope this helps...

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com

dr_dave
05-30-2011, 06:49 PM
A couple of learning hints that others haven't mentioned yet...

1) the tip should go through the CB to the cloth...not a stabbing motion. Imagine the tip penetrating the top of the CB, and coming out the back side.

2) angle the jump cue, based on how close you are to the OB to be jumped...the closer you are, the steeper the angle. The CB will leave the table at the same angle it goes into the table.

3) keep your elbow (grip hand) in close to your body. This works well for underhand jumping, or dart style.

4) keep a very loose grip. It's the lightness of the jumpcue that allows it to 'get out of the way'. A tight grip will not aid in jumping.

Hope this helps...

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.comGood list Scott.

FYI to people interested, various elements of jump shot technique are summarized and demonstrated in the following video:
NV B.87 - Jump shot technique, from VEPS V (http://billiards.colostate.edu/normal_videos/new/NVB-87.htm)

and other info and examples can be found here:
http://billiards.colostate.edu/threads/jump.html

Enjoy,
Dave

manwon
05-30-2011, 06:57 PM
What type of tip ?

Would this be the same type of tip that you would have on a Breaking Cue ?

I made the cue, the Tip used is a solid phenolic ferrule / tip combination on a flat laminated shaft that is approximately 13.5 mm in diameter.

Hope this helps

pooltchr
05-31-2011, 05:40 AM
this guy has my favorite jumping instructional on how to do the "dart" jump method, check it out, it might be easier to learn than the traditional method.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FrHcCBJp0wY&playnext=1&list=PL29743C50097E820E

I agree. I have taught people to jump a ball in 5 minutes using pretty much the same description and method used in this video.

Good find!

Steve

Big Arm
05-31-2011, 06:34 AM
Boy, I am beginning to feel like a remedial student because I am not finding it that easy! I did not get to practice yesterday as we decided to go bar hopping!

pooltchr
05-31-2011, 06:40 AM
Boy, I am beginning to feel like a remedial student because I am not finding it that easy! I did not get to practice yesterday as we decided to go bar hopping!

It's all in the wrist.

Steve

cigardave
05-31-2011, 09:23 AM
When using the dart method, you almost throw the jump cue at the cue ball... the grip should be that loose.

You almost momentarily lose touch/contact with the cue.

xxroodoggxx
06-07-2011, 01:21 AM
Thx 4 this post. I read and watched these vids because I've never been able 2 jump very good (1st two attempts usually fly off table) but using this dart method was really easy and I was able too jump as close as 5-6 inches. Thx again for this great info

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk. **roo$t@r**

JB Cases
06-07-2011, 01:29 AM
When using the dart method, you almost throw the jump cue at the cue ball... the grip should be that loose.

You almost momentarily lose touch/contact with the cue.

Not entirely true.

You can jump with a very tight grip but you should have a loose grip. The technique is in the follow through. A tight grip makes it very hard to follow through properly.

The stroking procedure through is pretty much the same as when you play normally.

The only time you want to throw the cue as if you are throwing a dart is when the balls are very close, like a a chalk's width. Then you must let the cue do the work because no matter what any other type of grip will be too heavy handed and inadvertently put the tip into the wrong position.

The closer to the ball the lighter the grip. You can jump a dollar bill's width if you master the art of of letting the cue go right before it hits the ball. I have seen it done on a $500 bet.