PDA

View Full Version : Corporate Sponsorship

cuesmith
05-29-2011, 12:18 PM
I have been watching a little of the Indy 500, for the first time in many years. I used to go to Indy every year for both the time trials and the race when I was a kid, but all auto racing, especially Nascar is a sure couple of hour nap for me now watching it on TV. When I was young I even worked the pits at Sebring a few years, but on TV that droning sound just lulls me to sleep every time. While I was laying here about to doze off I got to thinking about all the money spent in corporate sponsorship for auto racing and have to wonder why pool can't grab just a small portion of that? It's a damn shame! There are many more people in the US that participate in playing than participate in auto racing. And pool is IMHO more exciting to watch than racing, unless they have a lot of wrecks. Some how we have to have a grass roots effort to get the big corporations to realize that we're consumers also.

TX Poolnut
05-29-2011, 12:49 PM
Did you see how it ended? Wow!

cuesmith
05-29-2011, 01:06 PM
Did you see how it ended? Wow!

Yeah, it was like in the finals of the U.S. Open, it was hill-hill and a player was running out and scratched on the 9-ball!

Ken_4fun
05-29-2011, 01:16 PM
Well just when I think we are on the verge of making a surge forward, we have an "Earl Moment" or something else.

I will never forget Earl at Romines at the finals walking out and driving the nail in the coffin for pool sponsorship.

Hell, even the women pool players have gone to practically zero lately.

I still think we need a leader or champion that can go to the networks and get it on TV. I think TV is the key for growth.

I look at Poker and think what amazing payouts for no talent "coin flipping". (How many times can they say, "Well its a coin flip here"?)

The mens tour has shot itself in the foot so many times, its amazing that pool does as well as it does.

My ideas for potential growth. Again, TV is the key.

APA has a huge audience and following. Is there anyway that they could "Springboard" the finals matches on TV?

Greg Sullivan has a great event, IMO the best of the year. There is a huge potential for moving this to an event for TV. To a lesser degree the US Open.

The final has been my contention for a number of years and that is to pit a man verses woman ala Billy Jean King and Bobby Riggs. Corny? Maybe, but that is an event that everyone wants to see.

It will take a charismatic leader that is selfless and will need to be marketed to the masses, not the folks like us who are "POOL JUNKIES".

Just my thoughts and ramblings, but I too, would like to see pool get the jump.

Ken