PDA

View Full Version : Whats so bad with moori???

bbb
05-29-2011, 05:07 PM
everyone seems to have an opinion on kamuri
tell me how you would compare the 2 and if you had to choose moori would you and which one??

Get_A_Grip
05-29-2011, 05:09 PM
tell me how you would compare the 2 and if you had to choose moori would you and which one??
If I had to choose, I would pick Demi Moori. :grin:

wontonny
05-29-2011, 05:14 PM
I've played with a moori medium as well as a kamui black medium. I'd choose the kamui hands down. The kamui doesn't glaze over like the moori does.

Jason Koopman
05-29-2011, 05:16 PM
I personally don't like the hit of Moori tips.

asbani
05-29-2011, 05:17 PM
to be honest with you, I don't find moori to be bad, in fact its a great tip, but here's the situation that i'm facing.

Whenever I order a new shaft that comes with Moori, the tip would play just perfect, and I love it so much, but once its done and I go to replace it with another Moori from our local cue guy, he puts a Moori that looks the same, but it plays different for my feeling, and it plays so badly, the hit is terrible, whats up to that? I never figure it out, or is it all in my head? :(

DrGonzo
05-29-2011, 05:25 PM
to be honest with you, I don't find moori to be bad, in fact its a great tip, but here's the situation that i'm facing.

Whenever I order a new shaft that comes with Moori, the tip would play just perfect, and I love it so much, but once its done and I go to replace it with another Moori from our local cue guy, he puts a Moori that looks the same, but it plays different for my feeling, and it plays so badly, the hit is terrible, whats up to that? I never figure it out, or is it all in my head? :(

How long did you play with the new tip for? Tips, like most equipment, have a "break in" period. You may not remember this with the first moori, since you were playing with a new cue and getting used to the feeling of that at the same time. If you liked the first moori, I would play with this one for a bit while longer...jmo...

OneIron
05-29-2011, 07:31 PM

Maybe he's using a different hardness. Maybe not a real Moori. Maybe installations issues such as shaving the edge with a dull razor knife and partially delaminating the layers. Maybe he's pressing his Moori's. (I don't press layered tips). Just speculating...

I've found Moori's to be very consistent.

Playin4Dinner
05-29-2011, 08:15 PM
I'm still playing with a medium moori on an original wood to wood predator sneaky pete. The perfect combo for the washed up player that's lost some of his/her stroke. Every once in awhile, I can get dialed in and put the rock anywhere I want. It's truly effortless, or like my buddies and I have coined "efrenless"

I can't speak on any of the new stuff without ever using them....

Imo, my medium moori hits very consistent and has held up for a long period of time. I could've gotten a really good batch, who knows. It all comes down to personal preference and playing style I guess....

jayman
05-29-2011, 08:26 PM

I just recently took my showcase true-hit shaft with an Ivory ferule and a Moori med out and shot with it for a while.. I had forgotten how much I really love that combination. Moori for sure.

cuejo
05-29-2011, 08:35 PM
I've foud the Moori's to be very good quality, very consistent from tip to tip

I have never personaly had the glazing problems that are mentioned on AZ all the time, although I do use a tip pik regularly....

I have recently tried out the Kamui black, both hard and medium.
I have found that I really like the feel of the tip, but something isn't quite perfect with it.....

I may be switching one of my spare shafts to a Moori again to see if I am making things up :)

luv1pocket
05-29-2011, 10:28 PM
I've had a couple Moori tips mushroom out on me and they were the hard ones straight out of the package.
Tried Kamui little different hit but I enjoy it. No mushrooming.
For $10-$15 per tip I want the tip to not mushroom.

poolplayer2093
05-29-2011, 11:05 PM
I personally don't like the hit of Moori tips.

i really like the way they hit. that is until they start to glaze over

Mitch1
05-29-2011, 11:22 PM
played with moori medium for years. Once I tried kamui never looked back. I use the kamui black ss and love the feel of it. Plus no more mushroom problem

gunzby
05-29-2011, 11:27 PM
I bought a dozen Mooris a while back and while I do like Snipers way more I would still say the Moori mediums I bought are better than Kamui tan mediums, but that is my opinion.

I will say that Kamui tan and blacks install better than Mooris and Snipers. I also think that the Kamui tips look better. The Kamui tips shape great, hold their shape, chalk well and don't seem to mushroom anymore than a Sniper. I just don't like the hit of them and as we all know that is all opinion.

I have pulled off my Sniper in a quest for a magically better tip. In that time I pulled off a Sniper for a Moori medium, a Sniper for a Kamui black soft, a Sniper for a Kamui black SS and a Sniper for a Kamui tan medium. Every time I went straight back to Snipers. I guess that Sniper has my target hardness.

Ken_4fun
05-29-2011, 11:55 PM
I play with Moori softs but have also tried Kaumi softs.

I cant tell a difference.

Normally I just use Moori softs and I am happy with them.

Ken

cesarmorales
05-30-2011, 02:20 AM
I put a Moori medium on my Judd cue and I was getting a weird hit about once in every twenty shots. I had my cue tip guy cut it down to about half of its size and now I have no problems with it. Now it is shooting good and doing lots of good stuff on the cue ball.

SCCues
05-30-2011, 04:12 AM
I bought a dozen Mooris a while back and while I do like Snipers way more I would still say the Moori mediums I bought are better than Kamui tan mediums, but that is my opinion.

I will say that Kamui tan and blacks install better than Mooris and Snipers. I also think that the Kamui tips look better. The Kamui tips shape great, hold their shape, chalk well and don't seem to mushroom anymore than a Sniper. I just don't like the hit of them and as we all know that is all opinion.

I have pulled off my Sniper in a quest for a magically better tip. In that time I pulled off a Sniper for a Moori medium, a Sniper for a Kamui black soft, a Sniper for a Kamui black SS and a Sniper for a Kamui tan medium. Every time I went straight back to Snipers. I guess that Sniper has my target hardness.

I played with Moori Slow tips for years and when they updated their tips to the newer Moori III they didn't seem the same. I tried Kamui Black Soft tips and I didn't care for them and then I made the switch to Sniper tips and for me it's the best tip i've played with. I really like Sniper tips and it seems that they get better after they break in.

James

Bamacues
05-30-2011, 04:36 AM
I played with Moori Slow tips for years and when they updated their tips to the newer Moori III they didn't seem the same.
James

Ditto...the Moori III tips just don't do it. I switched over to a Kamui Soft, and it plays great and doesn't glaze over.

I install tips for folks. I found that the Moori tips have become inconsistant. I installed a Moori Medium on a cue recently, and it played and sounded like an extra hard tip...that was right out of the sealed package. We had to switch the cue to a Kamui.

I think that when they "improved" the tip, they screwed it up. Anyone remember when Coca Cola decided to "improve" original Coke with the newer Coke? They forgot what got them to the top in the first place, and almost lost their dominant place in the market. I think Moori did the same thing.

If itti't broke, don't fix it.Joe

oldplayer
05-30-2011, 04:40 AM
i have a predator and changed from the lepro to a moori medium. problems with mushrooming from the "get -go", and then glazing over. had more than expected miscues....after having it on for about 2 months, i just changed over to a kamui soft 3 days ago. i have shot with it about 16 hours. so far, no mushrooming, no glaze problem and i am liking the way it "hits". it does seem harder than "soft" but i have no complaints with it and i will never go back to a moori.

ArizonaPete
05-30-2011, 06:35 AM
I've tried quite a few different tips and always go back to the Moori Soft. They don't glaze over or mushroom for me.

Gsitz89
05-30-2011, 06:44 AM
I love Moori Mediums (for at least the first two weeks). And then it seems that I have the same two problems as everyone else. My tip starts mushrooming, and it starts to glaze over. So my question is since Kamui Black seems to be all the rage right now, Whats the life on them?

CocoboloCowboy
05-30-2011, 07:24 AM
Go to the Web-site of any place like CueSight, Muellers, etc. See about 20 BRANDS of Tips for sale, the World has not all Switched to KUMUI.

mystery shooter
05-30-2011, 08:04 AM
I've used Moori tips for 10 plus years. I finally got fed up with the mushrooming and tried a few different tips. Out of those few tips, was a Kamui Black soft. :D I found the tip that works for me, no mushrooming and no glazing over. I was a big fan of Moori also until the New Moori tips came about. I agee with Joe. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Now when people ask me what's a good tip to buy. The first words outta my mouth are Kamui tips. With a standard shaft or a LD shaft. I have seen, and felt the difference. Outta my three shafts, all three have Kamui Black soft's. :thumbup: