PDA

View Full Version : Update on Denver pool room "Felt"

measureman
05-29-2011, 05:40 PM
Today was going to be the first tournament since the room reopened. It did not happen. There were about 6 of us there so not enough.
Was it because of the holiday week end?
Maybe not enough people knew about it?
Or could summer be a bad time to start this?
It was a nice day here today.

stormshadow1
05-29-2011, 05:50 PM
Is that the new name of Rack em Measureman?I thought there would be a nice turnout.That is usually one of the strongest tourney fields in Denver on Fri.Many great players.

Keith

PoolSharkAllen
05-29-2011, 06:18 PM

measureman
05-29-2011, 06:26 PM
Is that the new name of Rack em Measureman?I thought there would be a nice turnout.That is usually one of the strongest tourney fields in Denver on Fri.Many great players.

Keith

No it is the new name of what was "table steaks" then "billiards ink" on the west side.
rack em is on the east side.

PoolSharkAllen
06-05-2011, 07:10 PM

measureman
06-05-2011, 08:51 PM
Can anyone report back on what happened with today's tournament? Did they have a better turnout than last week?

I heard the Thurs night tournament did not happen so I decided not to waste my time and gas this Sunday to go down there.
Summer just isn't the time to try to start a new venue in pool.

Derek
06-05-2011, 09:16 PM
Match-Ups in Fort Collins has a good 9-ball crowd every Sunday starting at 3 pm. Best local tournament consistently in the northern front range in my opinion. $10 entry on the big tables. Just depends if you are willing to drive.

metallicane
06-06-2011, 07:19 AM
What part of Denver is it in? I will be out there the first week of August and would love to find a place to play.

measureman
06-06-2011, 07:25 AM
What part of Denver is it in? I will be out there the first week of August and would love to find a place to play.

Which room are you talking about?

Island Drive
06-06-2011, 07:32 AM

Thats in Ft. Collins, I 25 north exit 269 B, then 5 miles west into campus, a good hour + north.

PoolSharkAllen
06-06-2011, 07:49 AM

measureman
06-06-2011, 07:59 AM
IMO, it's silly for Denver folks to have to drive 50 miles to Ft. Collins when we could be having tournaments right here in Denver.

Rack 'em, in Aurora, has $5 rates all day on Sunday. Surely, we can get something organized with Rack 'em on Sundays? Next time I stop by Rack 'em I'll inquire about it.

Good idea. I have thought about making the trip to Ft. Collins but If I was lucky enough to make the finals plus the hour drive home I was thinking I would not get home until midnight maybe. Thats too late for me.
Does anyone know what time it ends?

12squared
06-06-2011, 08:41 AM
Good idea. I have thought about making the trip to Ft. Collins but If I was lucky enough to make the finals plus the hour drive home I was thinking I would not get home until midnight maybe. Thats too late for me.
Does anyone know what time it ends?

The Match Up's tournament usually ends around 10-10:30 (sometimes earlier if a smaller field of 14-16). If it has many people and there is slow play, it could go as long as 11-12. But I invite you to bring your Lucasi up here and play one time to see for yourself :). You can afford to go home late one time to test the waters.

Dave

Black-Balled
06-06-2011, 08:44 AM
The Match Up's tournament usually ends around 10-10:30 (sometimes earlier if a smaller field of 14-16). If it has many people and there is slow play, it could go as long as 11-12. But I invite you to bring your Lucasi up here and play one time to see for yourself :). You can afford to go home late one time to test the waters.

Dave

I do love me some Ft. Collins...!
http://outdoortravels.com/files/co_poudre_trail_04.jpg

measureman
06-06-2011, 08:46 AM

Dave

Sure, you want no part of the Pechauer! :grin:
But as the Lucasi is somewhat of a legend maybe I will bring it.
I play same with either one.
You know I'm an old guy and need my rest.:(

Derek
06-06-2011, 03:46 PM
IMO, it's silly for Denver folks to have to drive 50 miles to Ft. Collins when we could be having tournaments right here in Denver.

Totally agree with that. At least I live in Longmont and the drive isn't as bad. If Denver could have some decent weekly tournaments on big tables, then I could make the trek either way.

The Bit of Billiards in Longmont has bi-weekly (?) tournaments on Saturday (?) but they need some more work to draw in people from out of town.

RobertR
06-06-2011, 03:58 PM

Rack 'em, in Aurora, has $5 rates all day on Sunday. Surely, we can get something organized with Rack 'em on Sundays? Next time I stop by Rack 'em I'll inquire about it.

Rack'em on a sunday is APA hell. Not to mention they got greedy and won't rent 7 footers anymore. They made it pretty clear that non-drinkers aren't welcome there.

measureman
06-06-2011, 04:16 PM
Rack'em on a sunday is APA hell. Not to mention they got greedy and won't rent 7 footers anymore. They made it pretty clear that non-drinkers aren't welcome there.

Now that's the way to build a business.Pool (big tables) is on life support in this metro area of 2 million.

12squared
06-06-2011, 05:22 PM
I do love me some Ft. Collins...!
http://outdoortravels.com/files/co_poudre_trail_04.jpg

Mr. Balled,

I will put you in the $10 tourney if come out here :). But you have to bring a crab cake for my wife.

Dave

Tokyo-dave
06-06-2011, 10:20 PM
In response to Derek. Does "Bit-O" have a tourney on the "manly man" tables? Been thinking about heading up there, but I hate to drive that far for the bar boxes.
dave

Black-Balled
06-07-2011, 06:35 AM
Mr. Balled,

I will put you in the $10 tourney if come out here :). But you have to bring a crab cake for my wife.

Dave

Very tempting. I get to donate $10 and your Wife gets food poisoning.

I must be feeling crabby, don't even know the woman and I have brought doom.

Derek
06-07-2011, 06:56 AM
In response to Derek. Does "Bit-O" have a tourney on the "manly man" tables? Been thinking about heading up there, but I hate to drive that far for the bar boxes.
dave

Yes, on the manly tables. It's the only size I enjoy shooting on also.

The talent level can be hit or miss as well as the amount of entrants. There are some decent local shooters but they are not always at the tournament. I'll see one of the guys who helps run the tourneys Thursday night and I'll ask how the turnout has been lately.

PoolSharkAllen
06-07-2011, 08:08 AM

measureman
06-07-2011, 08:23 AM
I spoke to Brandi last night at Rack 'em about having tournaments there on Sundays.

Since the APA tournaments are on the bar tables, the 9' foot tables are available if we want to have a tournament on Sundays. The tournament entry fees would be $15. Since Brandi is busy running the APA tournament, we would need to find someone to help run the tournament on the 9' tables. This is doable, however, we would need to get the word out so that we can have a decent turnout.

As an alternative, since Rack 'em does have $5 rates to play all day on Sundays, perhaps we could just find a opponent and play "race to 5" (or whatever) and rotate tables amongst the winners and losers. We would need to get the word out so that we can have a decent turnout.

We might also want to consider having different start times. Instead of starting play at 1PM, perhaps more people would be interested in playing if we started at 3PM or 5PM?

By the way, three of the 9' tables have been re-felted with new cloth.

Good idea. But the 3 or 5pm start times could mean a finish at midnight or later depending on turn out. Been there and dont like it. Too late on a Sunday. 1 PM sounds better. Rack'em does have an ad in the Cue Times so the word can get out.

measureman
06-07-2011, 04:33 PM
Bump for the night crew.

9BallPaul
06-07-2011, 04:51 PM
Wynkoop Billiards is shedding all its old Brunswicks (for sale in an ad in cuetimes.com) and replacing them with Diamonds.

Don't know if RKC will installing them, but I'm hoping. Melissa, meanwhile, has her own Diamond at the Wynkoop, but it's off-limits to outsiders. I'm thinking that her pal Mark Haddad probably plays on it, but the houseman refused my offer of double-time for a couple hours. Oh well.

Should Wynkoop replace all its tables with Diamonds, anyone think it might become a players room? Take the place of Shakespeare's?

Island Drive
06-07-2011, 05:07 PM
Wynkoop Billiards is shedding all its old Brunswicks (for sale in an ad in cuetimes.com) and replacing them with Diamonds.

Don't know if RKC will installing them, but I'm hoping. Melissa, meanwhile, has her own Diamond at the Wynkoop, but it's off-limits to outsiders. I'm thinking that her pal Mark Haddad probably plays on it, but the houseman refused my offer of double-time for a couple hours. Oh well.

Should Wynkoop replace all its tables with Diamonds, anyone think it might become a players room? Take the place of Shakespeare's?

I thought it was a Black top Gold Crown.....?

Cuebuddy
06-07-2011, 05:59 PM
I thought it was a Black top Gold Crown.....?

I was in a tourney there last August and nearly all the tables were the same make. I did not think they were Brunswicks but rather an off name brand. I do remember they had buckets for pockets.....I am thinking the corners were 5 1/2 inch's. The only other table I noticed in the main room was a decent black Gold Crown at the North end of the room.

I think that it would be a great move to change to a competition table and Diamonds would be great or maybe a mix with Gold Crowns. I know I would start playing there more then I do now.:cool:

Tokyo-dave
06-07-2011, 06:06 PM
Melissas table is a Brunswick black rail. Seven of the other tables are being, (or may already have been) replaced by the Gold Crowns from Charlies. No Diamonds, but surely a move in the right direction to attract more 'players.'
dave

9BallPaul
06-07-2011, 08:49 PM
Melissas table is a Brunswick black rail. Seven of the other tables are being, (or may already have been) replaced by the Gold Crowns from Charlies. No Diamonds, but surely a move in the right direction to attract more 'players.'
dave
OK, I'll take your word on it, y'all. Just wondering why the graphics on the table in question read Diamond. Guess it's a mystery.

Derek
06-07-2011, 10:02 PM
The tables being sold off are old Brunswicks, not an off-brand. However, some of them were beat up enough that an off-brand might be more appealing. In my opinion, in the current economy and the lack of rooms in Denver, the $1200 or so they are asking for the Brunswicks is too much. There have been crowds of night-time partiers hanging on those tables for years.

Which takes us to why the Wynkoop cannot be a players room, no matter what tables get installed. Maybe Melissa has something in the works, but have you ever tried shooting pool in a bar/restaurant setting on a weekend night crowded with yuppies? It's impossible to shoot adequate pool. Shakespeare's was a pool hall first.

Tokyo-dave
06-07-2011, 10:14 PM
Not to mention that Melissas table is the only one in the whole place where you're not backed up against a wood pillar, or having to move chairs around to take a shot. Also, much to be said about the temperature on summer afternoons when you might try to sneak in without the crowd.
Until "Felt" makes a serious run at being a players room, Ft. Collins, and Longmont for me for tourneys, and practice at Hanks.
dave

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S2nguCDpwCk

Island Drive
06-08-2011, 07:26 AM
Not to mention that Melissas table is the only one in the whole place where you're not backed up against a wood pillar, or having to move chairs around to take a shot. Also, much to be said about the temperature on summer afternoons when you might try to sneak in without the crowd.
Until "Felt" makes a serious run at being a players room, Ft. Collins, and Longmont for me for tourneys, and practice at Hanks.
dave

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S2nguCDpwCk

Nope there is a support beam in the way, I think its at the foot of the table. The other tables are all Brunswick home tables, the exact same ones as Phantom Canyon in the Springs. Melissa mentioned they might do the same b conversion in the Springs, putting Gold Crowns in, the existing aprons are currently held up by masking tape on many tables and no one there has the sense to maintain their current equipment.

PoolSharkAllen
06-26-2011, 09:35 AM

Tokyo-dave
06-26-2011, 09:40 AM
Was thinking about going today in hopes that they're doing their Sunday tournaments. Anybody know anything? Can't find a website for Felt. Anybody know if it's worth the drive? Time, handicapped?

dave

HereWeGo
06-26-2011, 09:59 AM
From their website:

Upcoming events...

Sunday July 10th at 1:00pm will be the start of our weekly Sunday 9-ball tournament! Featuring:

Race to 5, no handicap
Entry fee $20 plus $2 green fee
$100 added with 16+ players

Thursday July 7th at 7:00pm will be the start of our weekly Thursday 9-ball tournament! Featuring:

Race to 3, 4 or 5, depending on skill-level handicap
Entry fee $10 plus $2 green fee
$100 added with 16+ players
Great for all skill levels!

Also we will have a progressive 9-ball "break and run" raffle during each Thursday and Sunday tournament. Featuring:

$100 initial pot provided by the house
Raffle tickets are $1 each for Sunday tournament players, or $2 for spectators
Each week we will draw one ticket. The winner gets to try to break and run a 9-ball rack. For each consecutive ball sunk (including on the break), the winner will get 10% of the pot (e.g. two balls on the break, plus one ball after, then a miss, would equal 3 balls, or 30% of the pot). Once the player misses, the contest ends and any remaining pot money for that week will be carried over to the following week's raffle

Also on Monday nights starting July 11th...free Texas Hold-em Poker tournaments! Bring your poker friends and join us! Weekly prizes to be determined based on attendance, but a minimum of a $25 Felt tab for first place and a $10 Felt tab for 2nd place will be given each week!

PoolSharkAllen
06-26-2011, 09:59 AM

PoolSharkAllen
07-10-2011, 09:09 PM

12squared
07-10-2011, 09:47 PM
I heard there were 3 people that showed up for their 1st Sunday tournament. My guess would be they have to prove that there will be a tournament every Sunday and people will come. But it looks good now if people show up. So if you want it to happen go and play :).

Dave

PoolSharkAllen
07-10-2011, 10:06 PM

9BallPaul
07-11-2011, 02:15 AM
I heard Felt was a dud on Sunday so yesterday I popped into Hank's. Pretty dull in the afternoon, but it was getting busier by 5 when I left. No tourney.

Spent some time talking with Hank, who says the summer is gonna be slow. Doesn't sound as if he's planning any tourneys.

PoolSharkAllen
07-17-2011, 04:15 PM