PDA

View Full Version : Shane / Scott Showdown

Zorro
05-30-2011, 02:38 AM
At Pool sharks is Las Vegas, Scott Frost spotted Shane Van Boening 8 - 7 in an 8-ahead contest for $15K. It pitted the long established champion play and superior one-pocket knowledge of Scott against the unparalleled shooting ability of Shane who has only been playing one-pocket for a year. It was all over in a a few hours with Shane the clear victor. It looked easy, with Shane often running the table, but the truth is, it could have gone either way. I am looking forward to seeing the two matched up even sometime in the near future.

Nostroke
05-30-2011, 03:01 AM
At Pool sharks is Las Vegas, Scott Frost spotted Shane Van Boening 8 - 7 in an 8-ahead contest for $15K. It pitted the long established champion play and superior one-pocket knowledge of Scott against the unparalleled shooting ability of Shane who has only been playing one-pocket for a year. It was all over in a a few hours with Shane the clear victor. It looked easy, with Shane often running the table, but the truth is, it could have gone either way. I am looking forward to seeing the two matched up even sometime in the near future.

anything on Dippy/Scott round 4?

ABall
05-30-2011, 04:13 AM
You have bad info if you think Shane has only been playing one pocket for a year.

TheConArtist
05-30-2011, 04:47 AM
SVB is a beast

Just read this from the main page also

"Van Boening had recently returned from a lengthy sojourn in Asia which included a number of highly successful match ups in Manila. He played seven sets against the likes of Ronnie Alcano, Francisco Bustamante and Jeff De Luna and was undefeated."

JB Cases
05-30-2011, 04:48 AM

Shane was in the room studying Scott's "Power One Pocket" before the match :-)

Shane's still got a little of the Hustla in him.

I find that whenever I play a good player who isn't a one pocket player that they pick up the moves REAL fast. So whatever Scott does to Shane that Shane doesn't already know how to do will be absorbed almost instantly and used against Scott in subsequent play.

JB Cases
05-30-2011, 04:49 AM
SVB is a beast

Just read this from the main page also

"Van Boening had recently returned from a lengthy sojourn in Asia which included a number of highly successful match ups in Manila. He played seven sets against the likes of Ronnie Alcano, Francisco Bustamante and Jeff De Luna and was undefeated."

Was a sad day in Manila when that happened I bet.

Johnnyt
05-30-2011, 05:41 AM
Shane is a " Power Ball Pocketing Machine". I never went for this "he out moved him" crap. Now that a lot of the top pros are playing it (1-hole) you can see that they do just as well as the "kings of one pocket". It's a good game if you enjoy a slower pace but if you can make balls, kick, and bank the rest comes with playing good players for a short time. For playes like Shane, a very short time. Just like 14.1, if the top pros played it often they would all be 200+ runners. Johnnyt

vagabond
05-30-2011, 06:47 AM
Shane is a " Power Ball Pocketing Machine". I never went for this "he out moved him" crap. Now that a lot of the top pros are playing it (1-hole) you can see that they do just as well as the "kings of one pocket". It's a good game if you enjoy a slower pace but if you can make balls, kick, and bank the rest comes with playing good players for a short time. For playes like Shane, a very short time. Just like 14.1, if the top pros played it often they would all be 200+ runners. Johnnyt

That is an excellant point.
That brings some memory of something I read in the book ' Rags to Riffleman '.Buddy and Grady matched up in Johnston city and Grady did not think Buddy was playing the game of one pocket game as it was supposed to be played. Grady suggested to Buddy that he has to make 'Moves'.Buddy replied saying why he had to make moves when he could pocket the balls to run out.
When Jeremy Jones won US open one pocket in (?) 1999 he did not make too many moves.He won it with aggressive shot making from every where.
Tony REX, also a very aggressive shot maker with his banking,kicking,cutting etc from everywhere.
But in the recently concluded US one pocket most of the players played old style-moves,moves & moves.

JarnoV
05-30-2011, 07:05 AM
The problem for unexperienced 1p players but otherwise great shooters isn't perhaps the lack of some mysterious deep knowledge, but comfortability with shots that don't come up in other games. Of course, you can come up with better shots with better percentages if you're more experienced, but the game of one pocket gives so much leverage to the execution of shots that a shooter like Shane can overcome anything he might give up strategically.

I feel like the "old schoolers" often disapprove even Efren's shot choices, but at his prime and even today, Efren is so great at executing complicated and touchy shots that no one could beat him. Playing one pocket you are constantly faced with shots that require very fine control of the object ball and the cue ball. I'm not saying that rotation games or 8-ball are easy. Only that one pocket gives more leverage. By executing the position play an inch more accurate, you might be making the job for your opponent much more difficult.

(Obviously I'm not an expert, this is just my feeling about the issue. :-))

Realizm
05-30-2011, 08:08 AM
Shane has been playing 1 hole for a long time . I been playing big matches over sea's getting back that killer we all saw when he saw winning the bg tournaments with ease.. He's is a very well rounded player .. and does come from a line of great road players .. I think his granddad was a great player...

jay helfert
05-30-2011, 08:25 AM
The problem for unexperienced 1p players but otherwise great shooters isn't perhaps the lack of some mysterious deep knowledge, but comfortability with shots that don't come up in other games. Of course, you can come up with better shots with better percentages if you're more experienced, but the game of one pocket gives so much leverage to the execution of shots that a shooter like Shane can overcome anything he might give up strategically.

I feel like the "old schoolers" often disapprove even Efren's shot choices, but at his prime and even today, Efren is so great at executing complicated and touchy shots that no one could beat him. Playing one pocket you are constantly faced with shots that require very fine control of the object ball and the cue ball. I'm not saying that rotation games or 8-ball are easy. Only that one pocket gives more leverage. By executing the position play an inch more accurate, you might be making the job for your opponent much more difficult.

What a great analysis, worth reading again! :thumbup2:

allprobilliards
05-30-2011, 08:28 AM
You have bad info if you think Shane has only been playing one pocket for a year.

Lol thats true. Shane has been gambling 1hole for years. He played chohan 9-7 2 years ago and got beat quick.
obviously hes improved alot since

8ballEinstein
05-30-2011, 09:00 AM

Agreed, good analysis.

Robert Le Blanc told me that he and Artie Bodendorfer were watching the finals of the One-Pocket event in Vegas and were surprised at how often some known moves were passed up, most likely because the players flat didn't know them.

I'm sure the fine control you speak of can overcome some of the "moves" that the old-schoolers might have learned many years ago.

No expert here either. Just a railbird who thinks he knows something.

thebighurt
05-30-2011, 09:05 AM
It sounds like Shane is ready for Efren. Everyone seems to think Scott is better than Efren now. So since shane won 8 to 7 against scott, Efren and Shane should be an even match. The next TAR should be Efren and Shane one pocket, 10 ball, big table 8 ball, best 2 out of 3 for all the cheese

BigFish
05-30-2011, 09:28 AM
If I'm not mistaken, didn't Shane win the one-pocket event at DCC this year enroute to his Master of the Table Award?

tanco
05-30-2011, 10:33 AM
Lol thats true. Shane has been gambling 1hole for years. He played chohan 9-7 2 years ago and got beat quick.
obviously hes improved alot since

At the 2007 DCC he played Chohan getting 9-7 with a coach and beat Chohan the first 4 games. Chohan's camp pulled up.

mikeyfrost
05-30-2011, 10:39 AM
SVB is the best

pulzcul
05-30-2011, 10:44 AM
I think the best play Shane made was getting the spot in the first place. Nice hustle. But he probably won't get another spot from anyone!

jay helfert
05-30-2011, 11:10 AM
Efren's still the best for a little while longer. His creativity, shot making and execution is still superlative at One Pocket. But Shane and others are breathing down his neck. Contrary to what has been said so far, great moves still win games. And seeing and then executing that move is a skill all it's own.

chipperd
05-30-2011, 11:23 AM
I cant believe it wasnt streamed, would have been a good ppv. I would much rather watch action than a tournament. That would be a good poll if someone knows how to do it.

vagabond
05-30-2011, 09:34 PM
Scott and shane will be playing again tonight but the spot is adjusted to 9-8

rackem
05-30-2011, 09:43 PM
For how much? Who's getting the ball this time? :rolleyes:

vagabond
05-30-2011, 10:21 PM
For how much? Who's getting the ball this time? :rolleyes:

Scott giving weight to shane.I don`t want to mention the $ amount.I actualy forgot the amount of bet.

Roy Steffensen
05-31-2011, 07:04 AM
What's the latest?

cleary
05-31-2011, 07:26 AM
What's the latest?

Shane up 3 games. Was up 6.

derekdisco
05-31-2011, 07:54 AM
Shane up 3 games. Was up 6.

http://i51.tinypic.com/2r7yibt.gif

Black-Balled
05-31-2011, 07:55 AM
I think Frost is a tad too offensive. Often works, but you get bit sometimes when you make your opponent shoot at his hole. And who the F wants SVB shoooting at his hole?

I'd like to see someone squeeze SVBs head for a couple of hours, see how things turns out when SVB bunts for an hour or so...every game.

Not sure who could do it, but I don't think Frost could. Perhaps Varner, circa 1982:o?

brandoncook26
05-31-2011, 08:22 AM
I think Frost is a tad too offensive. Often works, but you get bit sometimes when you make your opponent shoot at his hole. And who the F wants SVB shoooting at his hole?

I'd like to see someone squeeze SVBs head for a couple of hours, see how things turns out when SVB bunts for an hour or so...every game.

Not sure who could do it, but I don't think Frost could. Perhaps Varner, circa 1982:o?

Varner was the king of the squeeze. His ideal game was locking up every ball and fighting for one ball at a time. Every Accu-Stats I have with Varner ends up in the "wedge". He was really a master at controlling the game the way he wanted.

I don't know if there is anyone playing today that is as patient as Varner was. He really could bunt balls and not shoot at his hole for hours. I would think the most similar players today would be Gabe or JJ. They both play a much more methodical game and don't mind moving. Granted, Varner was on a whole other level, but those two would be the closest today IMO.

-Brandon

Black-Balled
05-31-2011, 09:07 AM
Varner was the king of the squeeze. His ideal game was locking up every ball and fighting for one ball at a time. Every Accu-Stats I have with Varner ends up in the "wedge". He was really a master at controlling the game the way he wanted.

I don't know if there is anyone playing today that is as patient as Varner was. He really could bunt balls and not shoot at his hole for hours. I would think the most similar players today would be Gabe or JJ. They both play a much more methodical game and don't mind moving. Granted, Varner was on a whole other level, but those two would be the closest today IMO.

-Brandon

Shame- don't think there are too many that can out-offense SVB on a pool table, and there are probably just as many who can duck and not get tortured.

gordml
05-31-2011, 11:28 AM
If I'm not mistaken, didn't Shane win the one-pocket event at DCC this year enroute to his Master of the Table Award?

It was a bad game, Shane would have played even - hes up a fortune on the year and killing everybody.
Scott should ask for 8-7 hed prob get it.

xianmacx
05-31-2011, 11:32 AM
So shane won the second set also?

12squared
06-01-2011, 10:32 AM
Any update on the second set results?

Thanks,

Dave

onepocket1
06-01-2011, 05:42 PM
bump for an update -

spanky79
06-01-2011, 09:02 PM
It was a bad game, Shane would have played even - hes up a fortune on the year and killing everybody.
Scott should ask for 8-7 hed prob get it.

dont' count on Shane giving Scott weight playing one hole
even maybe but 8 -7 with Scott getting the weight , I don't see that happening any time soon

rackem
06-01-2011, 09:24 PM
Will they be playing tonight?

Fast Lenny
06-01-2011, 10:21 PM
Wanna bet something? Scott and him are back to even and will be resuming the ahead set battle tomorrow at 3pm, I am under the impression this will be the last day of play. I got a couple hundred for you if you want it, I have Scott and you have Shane, you must be on the GAL, if they quit even bets off, if they pro-rate so do we, any questions? Come get your Lenny bucks. :)

spanky79
06-01-2011, 11:52 PM
Wanna bet something? Scott and him are back to even and will be resuming the ahead set battle tomorrow at 3pm, I am under the impression this will be the last day of play. I got a couple hundred for you if you want it, I have Scott and you have Shane, you must be on the GAL, if they quit even bets off, if they pro-rate so do we, any questions? Come get your Lenny bucks. :)

looks like Scott figured out how to play against Shane, should be a nice sweat , wish I had some action for you.
Just wish I could sweat it in person.

JesseBfan
06-02-2011, 12:45 AM

I'll take $100 of that, Lenny. If they prorate it, let's do it $15 a game so there's no change.

Nostroke
06-02-2011, 03:09 AM
I'll take the other $100.

Black-Balled
06-02-2011, 06:45 AM

Go get 'em, tiger!

Did Scott learn from dippy do?

Zorro
06-02-2011, 07:20 AM
anything on Dippy/Scott round 4?

Nothing, except that Dippy sweated some of the Scott/Van Boening action.

Zorro
06-02-2011, 07:40 AM
The lastest update:

As you know, Shane won the 8-7 match, $15K. Then they played a 10 hour match 9-8 and Shane was 3 ahead at the end, but instead of prorating, they decided to play the next day. At the end of 22 hours they were dead even. The next and possibly final match will be today, possibly at 3pm Pacific Daylight Time. Like the first match, this one is for $15K.

Scott's superior one-pocket savvy has been showing up big time, but Shane's pure shooting ability, plus the fact that he is a quick learner, brought him back yesterday from a 3-game deficit. So far, Shane has been the only one on the hill (7 games), and that was the first day, twice. Since then it has been seesaw back and forth between Shane being up 3 games and Scott being up 3 games (4 games once). To Scott's credit, he began the second day 3 down, but won 7 straight to put him in the lead by 4 games. But after 32 hours play this second set, it is dead even. Each player has seemed about to go down when they reached down deep and came up with some outstanding play to not only pull out of a tailspin, but to put themselves back in the lead. It is anyone's guess who will prevail; they are really that dead even at 9-8. If Scott wins he can still claim number one in one-pocket. If Shane wins, it will be up in the air who's the best, since they have not yet played even. At least that's the way I see it. ;)

12squared
06-02-2011, 09:07 AM
The lastest update:

As you know, Shane won the 8-7 match, $15K. Then they played a 10 hour match 9-8 and Shane was 3 ahead at the end, but instead of prorating, they decided to play the next day. At the end of 22 hours they were dead even. The next and possibly final match will be today, possibly at 3pm Pacific Daylight Time. Like the first match, this one is for $15K.

Scott's superior one-pocket savvy has been showing up big time, but Shane's pure shooting ability, plus the fact that he is a quick learner, brought him back yesterday from a 3-game deficit. So far, Shane has been the only one on the hill (7 games), and that was the first day, twice. Since then it has been seesaw back and forth between Shane being up 3 games and Scott being up 3 games (4 games once). To Scott's credit, he began the second day 3 down, but won 7 straight to put him in the lead by 4 games. But after 32 hours play this second set, it is dead even. Each player has seemed about to go down when they reached down deep and came up with some outstanding play to not only pull out of a tailspin, but to put themselves back in the lead. It is anyone's guess who will prevail; they are really that dead even at 9-8. If Scott wins he can still claim number one in one-pocket. If Shane wins, it will be up in the air who's the best, since they have not yet played even. At least that's the way I see it. ;)

thank you!

dave

richiebalto
06-02-2011, 09:16 AM
The lastest update:

Thank you ZORRO,you cover from day1 until present,very nice of you,thanks again!

Zorro
06-02-2011, 12:56 PM
looks like Scott figured out how to play against Shane, should be a nice sweat , wish I had some action for you.
Just wish I could sweat it in person.

Don't forget, it is Scott who is GIVING the spot. The difference between the two players seem to be that when Scott gets in trouble, he tends to think his way out of it, and when Shane gets into trouble, he tends to shoot his way out of it. But that is an oversimplification. Both players shoot superbly and both players know and understand the thinking side of the game, the difference being that Shane has only been playing one-pocket for a year. And if you think Scott has no fire power, think again. He runs balls like it was a bar table. :lmao:

PS-- The action is on the Diamond table in the pit at Pool Sharks.

Fast Lenny
06-02-2011, 02:59 PM
I'll take $100 of that, Lenny. If they prorate it, let's do it $15 a game so there's no change.

Your on for $100, they are supposed to be starting now but if they are not playing then no big deal. Good luck.

spanky79
06-02-2011, 03:38 PM
The lastest update:

I will still take Efren over both of them in one hole.

spanky79
06-02-2011, 03:40 PM
Don't forget, it is Scott who is GIVING the spot. The difference between the two players seem to be that when Scott gets in trouble, he tends to think his way out of it, and when Shane gets into trouble, he tends to shoot his way out of it. But that is an oversimplification. Both players shoot superbly and both players know and understand the thinking side of the game, the difference being that Shane has only been playing one-pocket for a year. And if you think Scott has no fire power, think again. He runs balls like it was a bar table. :lmao:

PS-- The action is on the Diamond table in the pit at Pool Sharks.

Shane has been playing one pocket alot longer then a year, ask around

Zorro
06-02-2011, 05:07 PM
Shane has been playing one pocket alot longer then a year, ask around

True, but not so seriously, if you believe the street.

Anyway, here's the rundown:

I arrived at Pool Sharks at 3pm, and Shane and Scott had already been there and left. According to Ed Kelly (yes, Champagne Ed Kelly), they agreed not to continue play. Shane is heading to China soon to play a tournament there. Anyway, I think the evidence is pretty convincing that the two are evenly matched. Forget the one ball, or is it one/half ball at 9-8 :grin:, but I'm sure Scott will not. I doubt the outcome would be any different if they had played even up-- to which I'm sure Scott Frost fans will wholeheartedly disagree. But really, how many games do you think between these two would hinge on one ball one way or the other? It's really a joy to sweat this level action, with run-outs from every conceivable position and table configuration. At times, both of there play seemed to defy human capability and the laws of physics.

Zorro
06-02-2011, 05:13 PM

Who would disagree? But don't forget, Shane is only 26/27. Efren is approaching 60. Shane has the same outstanding mechanics and stroke. Isn't it only a matter of time before he equals, maybe even surpasses, the great one? He pulled a few "magic" tricks of his own in the match with Scott. How he managed to pull off a couple of shots, I'll never know. I was wondering, "Is he that good, or was it luck?"

TASK
06-02-2011, 05:24 PM
I arrived at Pool Sharks at 3pm, and Shane and Scott had already been there and left.

That sucks, I was just about to head down there to check 'em out. Been too busy the past few days. Oh well, at least I found out here before I burned the gas.

westcoast
06-02-2011, 06:16 PM
Who would disagree? But don't forget, Shane is only 26/27. Efren is approaching 60. Shane has the same outstanding mechanics and stroke. Isn't it only a matter of time before he equals, maybe even surpasses, the great one? He pulled a few "magic" tricks of his own in the match with Scott. How he managed to pull off a couple of shots, I'll never know. I was wondering, "Is he that good, or was it luck?"

While I think Shane is a great talent, it is a bit presumptious to talk about him surpassing the all-time greats like Efren, Earl, Mosconi, etc.

spanky79
06-02-2011, 06:19 PM

No doubt Shane is talented, I guess we will have to wait about 30 years and see if he is still around adn able to play like Efren does at 58.

Zorro
06-02-2011, 06:27 PM

And so will I, for the time being......... :grin-devilish:

Zorro
06-02-2011, 06:40 PM
No doubt Shane is talented, I guess we will have to wait about 30 years and see if he is still around adn able to play like Efren does at 58.

I think the real test will be to see if Shane matures to play as Efren did in his absolute prime. Unfortunately, Efren did not take on one-pocket in his prime, although he seems to have mastered it anyway if being the world's greatest one-pocket champion means anything. :D I'd take Shane over Efren now in nine-ball and eight-ball play, but in one-pocket?... who comes anywhere near the master...? or should we still call him the magician? As far as I'm concerned, he has revolutionized one-pocket, bringing new dimensions to a game that was once thought to be set in stone. Watching him do feats that were once thought to be too difficult for being the "right shot" and making it look easy and effortless, makes me think Shane still has a long way to go-- but he does have the talent and I am expecting him to reach that same pinnacle of excellence as Efren. Besides that, he doesn't seem to have any of the bad habits that have ruined many a would-be great in the game of pool. To me he is the brightest hope of retaining (or regaining) American dominance. Others may play it-- but it's OUR game!

Zorro
06-02-2011, 06:43 PM
While I think Shane is a great talent, it is a bit presumptious to talk about him surpassing the all-time greats like Efren, Earl, Mosconi, etc.

Perhaps. Currently my money's on him, so to speak.

spanky79
06-02-2011, 08:37 PM
I think the real test will be to see if Shane matures to play as Efren did in his absolute prime. Unfortunately, Efren did not take on one-pocket in his prime, although he seems to have mastered it anyway if being the world's greatest one-pocket champion means anything. :D I'd take Shane over Efren now in nine-ball and eight-ball play, but in one-pocket?... who comes anywhere near the master...? or should we still call him the magician? As far as I'm concerned, he has revolutionized one-pocket, bringing new dimensions to a game that was once thought to be set in stone. Watching him do feats that were once thought to be too difficult for being the "right shot" and making it look easy and effortless, makes me think Shane still has a long way to go-- but he does have the talent and I am expecting him to reach that same pinnacle of excellence as Efren. Besides that, he doesn't seem to have any of the bad habits that have ruined many a would-be great in the game of pool. To me he is the brightest hope of retaining (or regaining) American dominance. Others may play it-- but it's OUR game!

Well said. I have had the pleasure if getting to see Efren play in persona. I love telling people in the crowd what he is going to do and they look at me like I'm nuts, then he does exactly what I said he was going to do and they look at me and say "how did you know that, I didn't even know that was possible", I just laugh and say well now you know.

I can't wait until Oct. when i am supposed to play his some cheap sets of one pocket with a BIG spot, it will be fun.

1 Pocket Ghost
06-02-2011, 08:42 PM

And possibly following in Shane's footsteps, re. the future of U.S.A. One Pocket, is 19 yr. old Jesse Engel - good level headed attitude, playing pretty strong One Pocket right now and getting better all the time.

- Ghost

westcoast
06-02-2011, 09:55 PM

he has a long ways to go. Earl was the greatest tournament 9 ball player ever in his prime. Efren, the jack of all trades and Mosconi, the 14.1 master. All 3 maintained greatness over decades. Not saying Shane can't do it, but lets wait awhile to see.

Scott Lee
06-02-2011, 10:02 PM
Zorro...This is a great assessment from a curbside perspective! :thumbup: Lucky you, and anyone else who was able to watch these two champions play each other for days! Thanks for sharing your opinion!

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com

True, but not so seriously, if you believe the street.

Anyway, here's the rundown:

I arrived at Pool Sharks at 3pm, and Shane and Scott had already been there and left. According to Ed Kelly (yes, Champagne Ed Kelly), they agreed not to continue play. Shane is heading to China soon to play a tournament there. Anyway, I think the evidence is pretty convincing that the two are evenly matched. Forget the one ball, or is it one/half ball at 9-8 :grin:, but I'm sure Scott will not. I doubt the outcome would be any different if they had played even up-- to which I'm sure Scott Frost fans will wholeheartedly disagree. But really, how many games do you think between these two would hinge on one ball one way or the other? It's really a joy to sweat this level action, with run-outs from every conceivable position and table configuration. At times, both of there play seemed to defy human capability and the laws of physics.

JesseBfan
06-03-2011, 01:18 AM
Thanks for the action, Lenny. Of course this time it didn't pan out but I'm sure we'll do something in the future.

Zorro
06-03-2011, 03:11 AM
he has a long ways to go. Earl was the greatest tournament 9 ball player ever in his prime. Efren, the jack of all trades and Mosconi, the 14.1 master. All 3 maintained greatness over decades. Not saying Shane can't do it, but lets wait awhile to see.

You are 100% correct. :smile: And when you talk nine-ball, do not leave out the great Luther "Wimpy" Lassiter, who whether it was tournament play or playing for cash, never seemed to fail. There was a standing offer to play anyone for any amount for many years and, sorry to say, no takers. I once went to see him play an exhibition of straight pool. I said to myself, "This ought to be a joke. He's a nine-ball player and I never heard of him playing straight pool." I figured he must need the money to be giving a straight pool exhibition. Not only that, with his style, position play seemed the last thing on his mind. Well, he had me fooled, He ran 150 and out in his "exhibition."

He, Willie Mosconi and Eddie "The Knoxville Bear" Taylor were the champions of my day. I just missed Ralph Greenleaf, Willie Hoppe, John "Rags" Fitzpatrick and a few other extreme talents. Whatever one might say negatively about pool, it has also had its shining moments and its fantastically great champions. I do not think this generation will disappoint either. As you might have guessed, I love the game of pool. :smile:

bud green
06-03-2011, 06:44 AM
Frost predicted Shane would eventually be a monster at the game a while ago...even before Shane made the finals of DCC, Scott said Shane plays so good and learns so fast that even a year ago he wasn't comfortable giving him any more than one ball.

TorranceChris
06-03-2011, 08:57 AM

Thanks for your update Zorro; it's refreshing to have an older generation giving props to the younger generation. It's all to the good as we venerate our icon, Efren as well. :cool: If you can share more stories of Luther, Mosconi, you know we always would appreciate them.

nancewayne
06-03-2011, 09:41 AM
If anyone noticed, Strickland IS playing very good One-Pocket ! I'm sure he is if the Shane school (shooting his was out of trouble and to victory rather than the old school conservative safe play). Any comments ?

Zorro
06-03-2011, 11:12 AM
If anyone noticed, Strickland IS playing very good One-Pocket ! I'm sure he is if the Shane school (shooting his was out of trouble and to victory rather than the old school conservative safe play). Any comments ?

Earl is a monster. Nothing is beyond his capability. Time will tell as he matches up more and more in the one-pocket arena.

Old school sounds funny to me. Maybe "really old" school is better for the safe, conservative play. Even as far back as Johnston City (sixties?) there were proponents of the extremely aggressive play. Today's style of play seems to fluctuate between the two extremes often all in one player. Try to force it, overwhelm, dominate, if that doesn't work, wait out your opponent. Whatever works. It's when you back's against the wall, what do you do? Do you place more faith in your ability to shoot your way out (take the flyer), or do you figure you can out-think your opponent and get to the next "good" shot before him? Shane seemed a tiny bit more inclined to fire away; Scott seemed more often to play it "smart." In the final analysis, whatever works is "smart." Either player, when they got momentum fired away all barrels. It looked at times that one could not withstand the onslaught of the other-- both players in turn. As it turned out, you could not count either player out of it, as they played a little rope-a-dope mustering up new energy for a comeback. Both are truly champions.

Celtic
06-03-2011, 11:38 AM

Efren being 60 is not a positive. His game is 15 years past his prime. Shane and Efren are going in opposite directions and have been for a long time.

DRW
06-03-2011, 02:46 PM
Efren being 60 is not a positive. His game is 15 years past his prime. Shane and Efren are going in opposite directions and have been for a long time.
Just to be a little more accurate, Efren will be 57 Aug 26th, 2011.:)

westcoast
06-03-2011, 04:09 PM

Earl has always insisted that he plays all games well and gets offended when people call "the greatest 9 ball player ever"- he wants to be known as an all around pool master.

Luxury
06-03-2011, 07:18 PM
How about Earl vs Shane one pocket race on the 10 footer?

Williebetmore
06-04-2011, 05:36 AM

-Brandon

I can tell you that Nick Varner, even today, has significant offensive skills at one pocket. Against even low pro level players he often plays "8 and out or no count." His banking skills are unbelieveable, and HE GETS OUT. I would not advise leaving him a shot, hoping he's going to nudge balls upstream.

I recently saw him go 8 and out in 3 out of 4 games. Each 8 and out started with 3 banks, then 5 and out.

westcoast
06-04-2011, 11:34 AM
I can tell you that Nick Varner, even today, has significant offensive skills at one pocket. Against even low pro level players he often plays "8 and out or no count." His banking skills are unbelieveable, and HE GETS OUT. I would not advise leaving him a shot, hoping he's going to nudge balls upstream.

I recently saw him go 8 and out in 3 out of 4 games. Each 8 and out started with 3 banks, then 5 and out.

Where does he play? Somewhere in Kentucky?

TX Poolnut
06-04-2011, 11:41 AM
How about Earl vs Shane one pocket race on the 10 footer?

That would be worth the price of the stream for sure.

Spider1
06-04-2011, 01:23 PM
Anyway, I think the evidence is pretty convincing that the two are evenly matched. Forget the one ball, or is it one/half ball at 9-8 :grin:, but I'm sure Scott will not. I doubt the outcome would be any different if they had played even up

:lol:

There's a reason there is a spot there.

Williebetmore
06-04-2011, 06:10 PM
Where does he play? Somewhere in Kentucky?

coast-man,
I was fortunate to see him play for a few days here in Betmore's Basement. He IS from Owensboro, Kentucky though.