PDA

View Full Version : how to gain consistent shot?

skybitter
05-30-2011, 08:21 AM
this is my biggest problem, because i know i can easily make the shots, how come i miss it? is it the nerves that make me miss the shots?

what makes the winning ball so hard to pocket even you know you can make the shots?

measureman
05-30-2011, 08:24 AM
Nerves. There are several long threads on this subject. If you use the search function you will find a ton of information.

cigardave
05-30-2011, 08:58 AM
You're most likely changing your pre-shot routine. It doesn't take much change to allow doubt to enter your mind.

Also, remember this... The best players pay attention to detail on every shot.

And for the money ball shot, imagine another ball still on the table that you have to play position for... plan that shot/position... and then pocket the money ball. Try it.

macguy
05-30-2011, 09:01 AM
this is my biggest problem, because i know i can easily make the shots, how come i miss it? is it the nerves that make me miss the shots?

what makes the winning ball so hard to pocket even you know you can make the shots?
The difference is you don't feel in control. When you are shooting the shot half of you is wishing and hoping you make the shot and the other half is just watching. That all has to go out of your mind and you take control of the events no more hoping and wishing make it happen. Easy to say I know, but it is why you miss when it counts when you would not give the shot a second thought in practice.

You tend exaggerate the difficulty of the shot based on it's importance to you and want to step aside and just hope it works out. You may benefit from learning to do meditation, actually I will guarantee you will benefit from it. Imagine what it is like for a pitcher walking out to the mound in a critical situation. There is no way he could preform without a quiet mind. Your mind can be trained to work for you and not against you as it often will.

Top players don't really see the same thing when they get down on a shot as the average player. They see the ball going in and can't really imagine missing, in fact they are shocked when they miss a makable shot. Where as the average player see everything that can go wrong, they see the ball missing in a dozen different ways and are praying they make the shot. They set up a self-fulfilling negative prophecy, you can see it in their eyes. The worst part is as they fail it only confirms what they are telling themselves, that they can't make the shots.

I will tell you one thing that can actually help. You have to get around good players and away for weak players. When you are around good players they make it look easy and you will almost through osmosis pick up on the game. You will begin doing what they are doing with the same ease and not even realize it. When you are around weak player who miss everything, have horrible fundamentals making a zillion excuses and in general make the game look like the hardest thing in the world you can't develop a positive attitude about your own game.

I would wager that every good player on this board will tell you a story of how their game jumped up when they moved to a better room with better players. I have so many thoughts on this subject I know I am rambling but I hope some of it makes sense.

randyg
05-30-2011, 09:13 AM
A process & mantra could certainly help.....randyg

brokenarrowjbe
05-30-2011, 09:14 AM
I have been overcutting any shot to the left. I have bought some paper a$%holes so I can just go in to the pool hall, set up the shot and repeat the same shot. If they are sensitive about the technique, I use the condensation off my soda to mark the table. I have seen people use spit, but really feel the acid in saliva are bad for the table and I don't want my dna embedded into the table. Then I shoot the shot 15 times. I keep count of the number of times I am successful. If I am missing, I move in. I want success. Once I am hitting it, I move back. Pool is not an overnight learning curve, but over several months I have gotten better. Good luck. Also using a straight line of 4 balls and shooting different cue ball positions is helping me understand different english effects. I do best with a center ball hit. id I attempt any english I reduce my chances, but sometimes if I can't make the next shot with out trying english, I go for it. Experience is the end result of practice and playing. John

PS If I am not invested in the game I get sloppy also. I think it is referred to as "playing down to their level"
I played in a tournament and knocked out some fairly good players, then lost to guy that I did not take serious enough, left him on the 9 after running 4 or 5 balls. Sucked, but the truth is I f%^&ked off and lost.

Quesports
05-30-2011, 09:57 AM
A process & mantra could certainly help.....randyg

YEP something like SPF! EVERY time you shoot...

greyghost
05-30-2011, 11:18 AM

the pressure of it..........too much mind is on the winning ball making it some sort of hugely weighted thing compared to every other ball you just made.

Try using a diffirent ball instead of the 9 as the final ball in 9 ball (substitute another ball)

Or just try playing position on another imaginary ball thats after the case ball.

Your brain is just tricking you so trick it right back.

pooltchr
05-30-2011, 12:08 PM
YEP something like SPF! EVERY time you shoot...

SPF is the mantra for the process!

Steve

skybitter
05-30-2011, 04:18 PM
thanks for all your help, hope i can overcome this. im just beginning to get serious about this game, im getting better, i just hope i can fight the nerves and have more consistent shots.

pooltchr
05-30-2011, 05:21 PM
thanks for all your help, hope i can overcome this. im just beginning to get serious about this game, im getting better, i just hope i can fight the nerves and have more consistent shots.

Building a consistent stroke is simply a matter of doing the same things, the same way every shot. Pre shot routines, and a consistent, repeatable stroke are the keys. Get with a qualified instructor who can help you. Two or three days in pool school will do more than anything for your game.

Steve

BRKNRUN
05-30-2011, 05:28 PM

All shots are the "winning ball" or all shots are the "losing ball" just because it is the last ball...does not mean it is any different than the first ball.

You are either giving the last ball too much respect....or....you are not giving the other balls on the table enough respect...:wink:

In other words...you are a "profiler"....of balls and or shots...:wink:

TX Poolnut
05-30-2011, 05:45 PM

Confidence. You know you can do it. It's just another shot. :)

JimmyWhite
05-30-2011, 06:47 PM
If you break with Magic Rack (or if you break with a perfect rack in general) most of the time, the 9-ball will likely stay on the footspot. Practice shots with the OB on the footspot on a daily basis. Shoot 100 balls in or whatever, with the CB on one spot one day, then the next day from another then the next day from another spot etc. etc. You won't be dogging another money ball again.

The pros are so well practiced that they can make the 9 even if there is a dog biting their leg while they shoot. I used to miss money balls too, until I started practicing on shotmaking. Now, when I go down to shoot the 9, I just see it going in and hear the sound of the ball into the back of the pocket while taking the practice strokes. This happens because I have seen so many times the 9 going in I just know I can do it easily now. So the only answer to your problem is practice.

Of course though, if you you are not fundamentally sound, then your stroke would be inconsistent, and even if you practice a lot, there is always a chance you will do something wrong under pressure.

Mikjary
05-30-2011, 06:50 PM
Building a consistent stroke is simply a matter of doing the same things, the same way every shot. Pre shot routines, and a consistent, repeatable stroke are the keys. Get with a qualified instructor who can help you. Two or three days in pool school will do more than anything for your game.

Steve

This is good advice. A good preshot routine and lots of quality practice puts you on automatic. You can focus on the task at hand instead of letting the negative thoughts distract your concentration. Allow yourself to finish your work and understand you deserve to be successful.

Best,
Mike