PDA

View Full Version : What do people really want from a pool room?

ignomirello
05-30-2011, 11:05 AM
What do people really want from a pool room?

1. To be treated like VIP's?
2, to play on good equipment?
3. To have tournamebts?
4. Play for a reasonable rate?
5. Control over how loud music plays?
6. not have a waiting list?
7. open for lunch?
8. other game tables?

pulzcul
05-30-2011, 11:33 AM
They don't have to give me the VIP treatment. Just a little attention is ok. My big thing is the equipment. Tells me everything I need to know about the place. The rates are a close second. If its reasonable I'll play for hours and come back often. If its expensive I don't stay long and won't come back as much. In my area there's only bar tables and right now it's 75 cents a game. I complained about that until it went to a dollar or more in other cities. Not bragging but I can run a table in under 5 min. when I pay attention. Thats about $9 an hour @ .75. So yeah rates count. The music [ I hate most of the "modern" stuff ] is a big factor. If it gets real bad I will leave. Problem[for me at least] is we only have bars up here to play in. You can't complain about the noise if his customers are paying for it. Asking a drunk patron to turn his music down is like :banghead:. Other than that I'd just like it to be clean.

greyghost
05-30-2011, 11:41 AM
numbers 2-4 are MOST IMPORTANT.........and #5 is also as I've been to some nice places to play that gaffed it all up with loud aggravating music that was never meant to be played in a pool hall to begin with.

A pool hall is a pool hall, not a rave,rap, lady gaga 200decibel club

jason
05-30-2011, 11:42 AM
...but I can run a table in under 5 min. when I pay attention. Thats about $9 an hour @ .75. So yeah rates count.

Another example of "the better you get at pool the more you get punished".

Good players pay more than average players on a bar box.
Good players don't get action.
Good players aren't allowed to play in some tournaments.
Good players have to travel further and pay more expenses for tournaments.
Good players fall in to the trap of thinking there is a living to be made from pool.

The better you get at pool the worse it seems to get in many ways. :(

Tramp Steamer
05-30-2011, 11:46 AM
Numbers 2, 4, and 7, pretty much does it for me. Lunch, of course, would be least important but maybe a little discount on table time for the hanger rounders would be good. :)

poolcuewarehous
05-30-2011, 11:57 AM
Most important
1# good environment
2# friendly staff,Knowledgeable and interested the game.
3# ambient music, i think when it is dead silent it makes it boring. and turned down low so that people still want to put money in the juke box.
3# level tables, and always have a couple of real nice tables for the good players.

Less important.
4# monthly tournaments
5# descent table rates for the players that want to improve there game, for the people that are always there, also for those that like to drink because if you give them cheap table, they will keep drinking.

Pool Cue Warehouse.com (http://www.poolcuewarehouse.com)

manwon
05-30-2011, 12:13 PM

3. To have tournamebts?
7. open for lunch?
8. other game tables?

While you covered many of the bases you missed a very important one. Today people are also very interested in the establishment being clean and safe, and safety is an absolute must.

Room owner

SpinDoctor
05-30-2011, 12:55 PM
1. Good quality equipment that is well maintained
2. Reasonable rates

Everything else is less important to me.

vasilios
05-30-2011, 01:05 PM
While you covered many of the bases you missed a very important one. Today people are also very interested in the establishment being clean and safe, and safety is an absolute must.

Room owner

believe it or not,the type of music and how you play it will compliment the clean and safe results.

bill

9BallPaul
05-30-2011, 01:28 PM
Important to me is the presence of good players who like to gamble. Good equipment goes without saying.

But maybe most important of all: Characters. Treat yourself to a trip to the DCC to feel what it's like to be among a real pool crowd. I've been in pool rooms that have the same vibe nearly any day of the week. You know it when you find it.

That's one reason I like AZ -- it's a virtual hall.

wontonny
05-30-2011, 01:36 PM
1. To be treated like VIP's? not entirely necessary, but just attention would be nice
2, to play on good equipment? very important
3. To have tournamebts?yes, not necessary to play in, but to watch
4. Play for a reasonable rate? this is what would get me to come in more often and for longer, also have a frequent visitors card/membership program to have incentives to come in more often
5. Control over how loud music plays? this isn't a huge issue, but have a limit to how many songs people can put in on the juke box. at a local bar, they USED to have free play on the juke on wednesdays and a regular (every day) visitor there put on "some" music, a friend and I put on some music. We didn't hear it until we left...3 hours later.
6. not have a waiting list?that's hard to do...
7. open for lunch?one thing my local pool room does it have free pool with the purchase of any lunch entree
8. other game tables?"This is Ames, mister."

manwon
05-30-2011, 01:50 PM
believe it or not,the type of music and how you play it will compliment the clean and safe results.

bill

Bill, I agree with you completely. I opened my Room in 2004 and this will be my 7th year in business. Now, I don't know about how much Music will effect your ability to play, ( Some like it quite, the old farts :D) but it certainly have a major effect on the people who frequent a room.

In my Room we play everything except Hip Hop, I found out early that for some reason the people this Music attracts bring far to much drama with them. Now this is not always true, but unfortunately it is true more times than not!!!!!:cool:

Take Care and great post.

SirNoobs
05-30-2011, 04:01 PM

3. To have tournamebts?
7. open for lunch?
8. other game tables?

2, 4, 5, and 8. I'd like to play snooker at my pool hall and I'd like reasonable rates so I can practice all day without breaking the bank. As for music loudness, I don't mind the music being loud as long as it's like easy listening music.

The equipment is alright though some of the tables have rolls and some pockets take shots easier. Last week I had a difficult cut on a game ball and the shot looked good going in but when it hit the wall of the pocket it stopped dead. Sold out the game when my opponent was on the hill and I was one rack away from the hill. :( Even my opponent thought the ball should've went in.

Matt90
05-30-2011, 04:37 PM
Places need to know this , especially the VIP part. No one has to kiss my .....
however at my local room there are a couple of waitresses that need to learn how to be NICE .Maybe life has not taught em what life needs to teach them yet but to put it plain I have been in ALOT nicer rooms with ALOT better looking waitresses that treated me like GOLD.A good example Diamond Billiards in Fort Myers ,Fl .Now back to my local room ,seems that they have promoted one no personality having waitress to some sort of manager a few nights a week .....WOW. If I am ever asked I will just speak my truth and say "she just ain't a people person ,not personal just a very good objective point of view" and if she asks me it will be something like "honey I am older than you and have seen this before , your looks will fade one day and maybe by then you will have developed some character, kindness, and a pleasing personality "
Thanks for posting this I needed to vent in a constructive way :grin:

manwon
05-30-2011, 04:54 PM
Places need to know this , especially the VIP part. No one has to kiss my .....
however at my local room there are a couple of waitresses that need to learn how to be NICE .Maybe life has not taught em what life needs to teach them yet but to put it plain I have been in ALOT nicer rooms with ALOT better looking waitresses that treated me like GOLD.A good example Diamond Billiards in Fort Myers ,Fl .Now back to my local room ,seems that they have promoted one no personality having waitress to night manager .....WOW. If I am ever asked I will just speak my truth and say "she just ain't a people person ,not personal just a very good objective point of view" and if she asks me it will be something like "honey I am older than you and have seen this before , your looks will fade one day and maybe by then you will have developed some character, kindness, and a pleasing personality "
Thanks for posting this I needed to vent in a constructive way :grin:

If I were the Room Owner and my staff were not doing their job I would want to know. I think you made a very good point, VIP treatment is not important, but there is no excuse for a Wait staff not to be kind and courteous.

Like I said above I would talk to the room owner, because I doubt your the only who has had this experience and anyone who cares about their business will take interest in what their customers have to say.

JIMO

The Pool Hall
05-30-2011, 04:58 PM
They want EVERYTHING a room owner DOES NOT have. Just that simple.

jason777r
05-30-2011, 05:26 PM
This is a great thread by the way.

1. Clean and safe is at the top for me.
2. Good and well taken care of equipment with plenty of seating and room.
3. Have a staff that is friendly and knows pool etiquette. I can't stand it when you're down on a shot and the waitress is trying to speak to you.
4. Good pool specials. Take care of your pool hall junkies by offering a membership or discount of some sort.
5. No bands in a pool room. That is all too common around here and all of the pool players can't stand it.
6. Have a good weekly tournament with a break-n-run contest. The house adding 50-60% will bring in lots of players also.
7. Have a decent menu. Something besides a bag of chips and corndogs.
8. Have at least a nice 10 or 12ft snooker table. In my local room the snooker table has at least 4-6 players on it every afternoon from about noon to 4pm. Of course they are usually only charged $3 per person,but it makes the parking lot look better which helps bring in more customers. The table is also regularly used most evenings.

This is just my thoughts on what would make a nice room. Too bad there isn't one around here.
Jason

vasilios
05-30-2011, 10:16 PM
Bill, I agree with you completely. I opened my Room in 2004 and this will be my 7th year in business. Now, I don't know about how much Music will effect your ability to play, ( Some like it quite, the old farts :D) but it certainly have a major effect on the people who frequent a room.

In my Room we play everything except Hip Hop, I found out early that for some reason the people this Music attracts bring far to much drama with them. Now this is not always true, but unfortunately it is true more times than not!!!!!:cool:

Take Care and great post.

manwon

if you post your square footage,sound system with speaker count and tv count.i will be able to give you a guide to wire the room to be lady friendly.

bill

Spider1
05-30-2011, 10:26 PM
I think what 'pool players' want is not necessarily what 'recreational players' want. And guess which group spends more money?

cueandcushion
05-31-2011, 12:46 AM
I think what 'pool players' want is not necessarily what 'recreational players' want. And guess which group spends more money?

^^^This ^^^

master9baller
05-31-2011, 08:13 AM

3. To have tournamebts?
7. open for lunch?
8. other game tables?

#9 Action, which is getting very hard to find

justadub
05-31-2011, 08:21 AM

And we have a winner!

TNKen
05-31-2011, 08:29 AM
No smoking.

donuteric
05-31-2011, 08:36 AM

3. To have tournamebts?
7. open for lunch?
8. other game tables?

Equipments, friendly stuffs, reasonable rates, decent food and cleanliness/safety are among the important ones. I'm less concerned with music and other stuffs. I believe pool halls will not survive easily if owners only make money from table time. Ultimately, they need to profit from something else in order to keep the place up the par.

I think it's unreasonable for us folks to demand, let's say, $5/hr on well maintained tables and kick those folks at the bar (who, btw, actually spends money on more profitable items) out because they like to listen to music that we don't.

GConn
05-31-2011, 08:58 AM
I guess:
1) equipment HAS to be good
2) stuff needs to be polite (not treat clients as VIPs, just nice is enough)
3) Cleanliness
4) Rates need to be reasonable, at least for the people that spend their day in the hall. If a couple of beers/water/coffee/whatever and a couple of hours practise costs a million and a half, I am not going back. As said before, people that spend many hours a week there expect to be treated a bit better on pricing.

Anything else is secondary for me. I hope this helps

Jimbojim
05-31-2011, 09:05 AM

I know its the reality but I doubt recreational players went to see the owner and said:

WE WANT HIGH RATES.
WE WANT LOUD MUSIC SO THAT I HAVE TO MIME TO SPEAK TO SOMEONE
WE WANT CROOKED TABLES
WE WANT PMS-INS WAITRESSES

Come on! The recreational player will come once a week or once every 2 weeks. It just happened that on that night the group gathered and discussed

" Alright guys, what do you wanna do?...-We can go have a few drinks and bang some balls around while spilling drinks on the cloth....the owner loves it! "

It might just happen that they won't come back for a few weeks because they have a list or things to do on rotation.

The pool player will come back many days a week and make put some life in a sunday afternoon or monday morning.

Unfortunately, the pool scene is a very sad and unlucrative one. If pool was so popular that players would fight to get a table and I had a room, recreational players wouldn't be allowed in my room.

CocoboloCowboy
05-31-2011, 09:12 AM
Most Pool in the Valley of the Sun is played in Bars, or Sports Bars. Can only think of ONE PLACE CLOSE TO A REAL POOL ROOM (Kolby's in TEMPE) like we had years ago, in the Valley of the Sun. Most Bars, and Sports Bar Pay the BILLS OFF SELLING BOOZE, and Pool IMHO take second fiddle to what pay the bills. Take away the Booze Sales and these places would close. JMHO.

So the old time REAL POOL ROOM that many of us recall from our younger days are GONE. Like Doctors who make house calls, and charged $5.00 for an office visit. Pay telephone booths on ever busy corner in the USA are gone. Kids who pumped your gas, cleaned your windshield, and checked your oil level, and tire pressure when you bought Gas at a Service Station are not there also.

donuteric
05-31-2011, 09:26 AM
I know its the reality but I doubt recreational players went to see the owner and said:

WE WANT HIGH RATES.
WE WANT LOUD MUSIC SO THAT I HAVE TO MIME TO SPEAK TO SOMEONE
WE WANT CROOKED TABLES
WE WANT PMS-INS WAITRESSES

Come on! The recreational player will come once a week or once every 2 weeks. It just happened that on that night the group gathered and discussed

" Alright guys, what do you wanna do?...-We can go have a few drinks and bang some balls around while spilling drinks on the cloth....the owner loves it! "

It might just happen that they won't come back for a few weeks because they have a list or things to do on rotation.

The pool player will come back many days a week and make put some life in a sunday afternoon or monday morning.

Unfortunately, the pool scene is a very sad and unlucrative one. If pool was so popular that players would fight to get a table and I had a room, recreational players wouldn't be allowed in my room.

Good points.

And those places that run their businesses with both spectrums of customers in mind end up running a successful business. I know a few of those places, and I know a bunch of others that gear too much toward one side (especially toward the side of pool players) are struggling and will eventually be forced to shut down.

Jimbojim
05-31-2011, 10:01 AM
Good points.

And those places that run their businesses with both spectrums of customers in mind end up running a successful business. I know a few of those places, and I know a bunch of others that gear too much toward one side (especially toward the side of pool players) are struggling and will eventually be forced to shut down.

I know and its somewhat sad.

Sometimes I feel like room owners do everything they can to get rid of pool players. Yeah recreational players spend more THAT ONE NIGHT but pool players play a lot more pool, have lunch and have a few drinks here and there. Add it all up and its gonna make more than those recreational players spent before they come back again...in 2 weeks.

Spider1
05-31-2011, 11:31 AM
Most Bars, and Sports Bar Pay the BILLS OFF SELLING BOOZE, and Pool IMHO take second fiddle to what pay the bills. Take away the Booze Sales and these places would close. JMHO.

I guarantee kolby's is making way more off beer and food sales than they ever do off table time. You're nuts if you think otherwise. Times have changed.

From first hand observation as a house man for 3 years: the problem is many of them don't want to spend any money. They want free or nearly free pool, want to bring in their outside purchased lunch, and want to sip coffee or soda (with free refills) or water all day. I am not saying all players were like that, but a good percentage of the semi-serious players were deadbeats like this.

Oddly enough it always seemed to be the mid or low tier players who were like that. The nits who didn't gamble but had $700+ cues and ran drills all afternoon and railbirded the real serious players. The top tier guys who came into our place to gamble were not that way at all, they bought lunch, didn't ***** about table time, etc.

But that is a digression I guess. ;)

Edit:

Yeah recreational players spend more THAT ONE NIGHT but pool players play a lot more pool, have lunch and have a few drinks here and there. Add it all up and its gonna make more than those recreational players spent before they come back again...in 2 weeks.

That's a nice theory, but I'll just say this: there's a reason there are tons more places offering league and league nights than there are tournaments. That speaks volumes by itself.

14oneman
05-31-2011, 11:36 AM

3. To have tournaments?
7. open for lunch?
8. other game tables?

2-7, mainly, with 2,4,5 being the most important to me.

Spantiznik
05-31-2011, 11:41 AM
Great post.

I would like to see cheaper rates. Here in MTL it costs me about 15$ an hour to play on 9' tables.

So I normally end up playing at the little dive to play on the Bar tables at 1$ tables.

What I have seen in some places in the mid'80's and ealry 90's were membership tables. You pay an annual membership fee and this tables where very well maintained, cloth changed at least once a year, depending the wear and tear. I have seen them changed up to 4 times in one year.

There was only one down fall, when I was going to these places and having the membership. You almost had to book a week or 2 in advance if you wanted to reserve the table(s) on a Friday or Saturday night.

Plus, one of the perks was, if there wasn't a membership table free, you got a little discount off the hourly rate. Able to buy an extra beer is always good ;-)

Jimbojim
05-31-2011, 12:13 PM
Great post.

I would like to see cheaper rates. Here in MTL it costs me about 15$ an hour to play on 9' tables.

So I normally end up playing at the little dive to play on the Bar tables at 1$ tables.

What I have seen in some places in the mid'80's and ealry 90's were membership tables. You pay an annual membership fee and this tables where very well maintained, cloth changed at least once a year, depending the wear and tear. I have seen them changed up to 4 times in one year.

There was only one down fall, when I was going to these places and having the membership. You almost had to book a week or 2 in advance if you wanted to reserve the table(s) on a Friday or Saturday night.

Plus, one of the perks was, if there wasn't a membership table free, you got a little discount off the hourly rate. Able to buy an extra beer is always good ;-)

15$/h in Montreal? Where the **** are you playing? You know can get fixed rate at Boul Noir on Mont-Royal street.

I live on the south-shore and there a few good pool halls here that you can get a fixed rate (depending on the hour)

Skratch (Brossard)
Maximum (Saint-Hubert)
Dooly's (Longueuil)
Billard le Diable (Longueuil)

there are many more but these are the closest to a bridge leading to the shore.

cigardave
05-31-2011, 12:32 PM

3. To have tournamebts?
7. open for lunch?
8. other game tables?
9. an endless supply of ice cold beers at my fingertips
10. an effective exhaust/ventilation system so I can smoke cigars without disapproving scowls and stares
11. free snacks delivered to my table
12. TV with remote control at my table

justadub
05-31-2011, 12:38 PM
I guarantee kolby's is making way more off beer and food sales than they ever do off table time. You're nuts if you think otherwise. Times have changed.

From first hand observation as a house man for 3 years: the problem is many of them don't want to spend any money. They want free or nearly free pool, want to bring in their outside purchased lunch, and want to sip coffee or soda (with free refills) or water all day. I am not saying all players were like that, but a good percentage of the semi-serious players were deadbeats like this.

Oddly enough it always seemed to be the mid or low tier players who were like that. The nits who didn't gamble but had $700+ cues and ran drills all afternoon and railbirded the real serious players. The top tier guys who came into our place to gamble were not that way at all, they bought lunch, didn't ***** about table time, etc.

But that is a digression I guess. ;)

Edit:

That's a nice theory, but I'll just say this: there's a reason there are tons more places offering league and league nights than there are tournaments. That speaks volumes by itself.

This post is spot on. 100%.

If the "real pool players" don't like these aspects of the places where they play, it's a shame. But they are going to either have to come to grips with it, play at home, or else not play at all. Most places, anyway. However, if the conditions bother them that much, perhaps instead of complaining they can try working with the management to come up with a compromise. Maybe "quieter" periods of time early in the day, etc, etc.

The booze and food and music pay the bills, and keep those tables available.

Tony_in_MD
05-31-2011, 01:36 PM
Number 2 for me.

3. To have tournamebts?
7. open for lunch?
8. other game tables?

ignomirello
05-31-2011, 01:46 PM

This is true but I was thinking a happy medium Or seperate sections :-)

highrun55
05-31-2011, 01:47 PM
They want EVERYTHING a room owner DOES NOT have. Just that simple.

They want EVERYTHING a room owner DOES NOT have.
or can`t afford, Just that simple.

BrokeHustler
05-31-2011, 02:00 PM
#9 Action, which is getting very hard to find

second the action

Spider1
05-31-2011, 02:05 PM
This is true but I was thinking a happy medium Or seperate sections :-)

Yeah, similar to that and what Justadub mentioned, we used to do 'gambling/quiet time' during the day with the jukebox turned down, etc for the serious players. Worked pretty well as the casual crowd isn't out during the day generally. I still heard "hey can you turn the jukebox up?!" at least a dozen times a week. :grin:

I'm not really sold on the idea of separate sections though. If you have one area for 'serious' players all the recreational guys will want to think they are real players and will want to shoot there anyways. We had one specific 9 foot that was super tight and was on permanent reserve for the gamblers. Guess which table all the worst hackers and nits always wanted to shoot on? ;)

DoubleA
05-31-2011, 03:49 PM
No's 2,4, and 5. Also add cleanliness.

Trent
05-31-2011, 05:04 PM
Good equipment nice customer service and a good temperature in the pool room i hate to sweat when im doing light practice.

Spantiznik
05-31-2011, 05:46 PM
15$/h in Montreal? Where the **** are you playing? You know can get fixed rate at Boul Noir on Mont-Royal street.

I live on the south-shore and there a few good pool halls here that you can get a fixed rate (depending on the hour)

Skratch (Brossard)
Maximum (Saint-Hubert)
Dooly's (Longueuil)
Billard le Diable (Longueuil)

there are many more but these are the closest to a bridge leading to the shore.

The closest place for me to go play at is Sharx Downtown on St. Cath's. And from what I remember (2 years ago) the tables were 15$ an hour, No ? I didn't have to pay for the tables because it was a B-day gift. But, my friend said that we are not going back there again because it cost him like 15$/hr. So I never went back

Boul Noir, on mont-royal ? Is that the one that is upstairs from the pharmacy ? If it is that is where I got my playing Cue from about 8 years ago.

I am not all that mobile as I would need a Car for easy access to the ones in the South Shore or the ones in the West Island. Normally I find what is close and play there. They use to have a great little Pool room on Decarie, put I heard that they closed that one down acouple of years ago.

Jimbojim
05-31-2011, 07:51 PM
The closest place for me to go play at is Sharx Downtown on St. Cath's. And from what I remember (2 years ago) the tables were 15$ an hour, No ? I didn't have to pay for the tables because it was a B-day gift. But, my friend said that we are not going back there again because it cost him like 15$/hr. So I never went back

Boul Noir, on mont-royal ? Is that the one that is upstairs from the pharmacy ? If it is that is where I got my playing Cue from about 8 years ago.

I am not all that mobile as I would need a Car for easy access to the ones in the South Shore or the ones in the West Island. Normally I find what is close and play there. They use to have a great little Pool room on Decarie, put I heard that they closed that one down acouple of years ago.

I'll be honest, I'm not that familiar with the pool halls in MTL. I know there are a bunch of 3-4 tables small bars but usually the conditions are shit.

OneIron
05-31-2011, 08:24 PM
Mute button on the jukebox...

LAlouie
05-31-2011, 10:55 PM
Free time and to be treated like royalty.

ignomirello
06-08-2011, 10:16 AM

Free Time? Then how would they make money?

cigardave
06-08-2011, 10:32 AM
Alcohol sales.

I had a relationship like that. I would come in and play about 25 hours a week for free but would tip the bartender generously... win/win for us both.

The free pool was a benny for having run an in-house 8-ball league at this bar for about 10 years.

The benny continued for several years after I stopped being the league director. I guess the bartender didn't have the heart to start charging me for table time after all those years. :thumbup:

I'm guessing that it saved me about $5000 a year.

vincentwu817
06-15-2011, 01:01 AM
Equipment and rate is the key. In Taiwan, table cloth is changed every 3-6 months and the AC is always on and costs about 2 dollars an hr, and when I come back here to my local room, its extremely painful - I almost want to cry. The cloth hasn't been changed in at least 2 years, my hands turn blue after a rack, and it would require Larry Nevel to draw full length on these tables. The funny thing is that the room are all Diamonds and Gold Crowns.

ignomirello
06-15-2011, 04:28 AM

ok if Equipment & Rate is key then why do some poolhalls who have both FAIL? what else do they need?

C.Milian
06-15-2011, 04:35 AM
#1. Pretty, ditsy bartender that always fills adjacent tables with non pool players. j/k.

Clean equipment, good food, good people, good vibes is all I want. And a really clean bathroom.

vincentwu817
06-15-2011, 04:44 AM
ok if Equipment & Rate is key then why do some poolhalls who have both FAIL? what else do they need?

Sadly, I don't think most pool halls' target audiences are serious players like the guys on AZBilliards. At least from what I've seen here in America, its more of a hang out spot.

Donny Lutz
06-15-2011, 06:11 AM
Clean and un-damaged equipment (tables, balls, house cues, etc.).
Clean rest rooms.
Adequate lighting.
No smoking or at least good ventilation.
Safe place to keep your cues, case, jacket, etc.
Owners who care about pool and actually talk to customers.
Employees who can answer questions about league, tournaments, lessons, etc.
Employees who watch for customers who abuse equipment.
Carpeted floor.
Not too loud music.
A variety of tables: 7-foot, 8-foot, 9-foot, snooker, billiard, bumper pool.
A variety of league choices: APA, BCA, ACS, VNEA, etc.
A variety of tournaments: 8-ball, 9-ball, 7-ball, 14-1, billiards, doubles, etc.
A Certified Instructor available for lessons.
High school or other leagues for youth.
Bulletin board with league standings, schedules, specials, info on lessons, etc.
Playing rules posted on wall.
Quality equipment for sale, including books and magazines.
Ample, comfortable seating for team play.
Decent food and drinks.

ignomirello
06-15-2011, 06:54 AM
:thumbup:
Clean rest rooms.
Adequate lighting.
Carpeted floor.
Not too loud music.
A variety of tournaments: 8-ball, 9-ball, 7-ball, 14-1, billiards, doubles, etc.
Bulletin board with league standings, schedules, specials, info on lessons, etc.
Decent food and drinks.

:thumbup: Wow thanks so much any others?

LAlouie
06-15-2011, 02:46 PM

A place to sleep.

david(tx)
06-15-2011, 03:02 PM
Clean rest rooms.
Adequate lighting.
Carpeted floor.
Not too loud music.
Decent food and drinks.

I thinks this is very important. Save a lot hassles playing strangers .

A couple of challenge tables , if possible , at certain wagering points . 5 or 10 dollars , 8 or 9 ball , limit 4 per table . If you beat all 3 of the other players at the table then you go to the end of the line . That way people can play small stakes and have predictable rules to play by.

Mickey Qualls
06-15-2011, 03:42 PM
A intelligent staff, pool and otherwise.

The local hall around here is more of a bar/restaurant/poolhall. The leagues are primarily out of here. When the dinner patrons want to 'hit a few', the majority of the waiters/waitresses are smart enough to put these folks on a table away from any action/league games.
Even better is when the wait staff knows enough not to walk in front of the league/action table, and knows enough to not interfere with the player at the table if that person's food or drink arrives.

I think if the establishment has employees that "get it" when it comes to more serious players, then some of the other suggestions listed that are somewhat within thier control (i.e. discounted table time, free drink or two, etc.) will fall into place the majority of the time.

Rickw
06-15-2011, 03:47 PM
I worked in a pool hall for 3 years. I think the following are essential:

1. Good location - easy to get there and good parking
2. Cleanliness - Huge
3. Good equipment
4 Place for recreational players with music, beer, wine and food available
5. Place for players to play - tournament room
6. Safety - everyone should feel safe being there.
7. Tournament room needs the best tables and equipment
8. Recreational area - bar boxes and decent 9 footers
9. Waitresses to walk around room to take orders - no one wants to stand at the counter waiting for service while they're paying table time

Drew
06-15-2011, 04:29 PM
Important to me is the presence of good players who like to gamble. Good equipment goes without saying.

But maybe most important of all: Characters. Treat yourself to a trip to the DCC to feel what it's like to be among a real pool crowd. I've been in pool rooms that have the same vibe nearly any day of the week. You know it when you find it.

That's one reason I like AZ -- it's a virtual hall.

Huh? Good players who gamble? But you don't gamble...

Top things I look for in a room.
1. Lots of action.
2. Decent tables.
3. Lots of action.
4. Beer.
5. Lots of action.

LC3
06-15-2011, 04:41 PM
Well maintained equipment.
Professional, courteous staff.
Appropriate music (blues, classic rock) low enough to create mood and not be a distraction.
"If you need to be a punk, this isn't the place for you."
Good food selection, or a quality eatery nearby.

The ability to at least replace tips is also nice.

CocoboloCowboy
06-15-2011, 04:54 PM

Who do you think you are? Willie Mosconi?

chicken ranch
06-15-2011, 04:56 PM
a sucker would suffice
:D

ignomirello
06-16-2011, 04:16 AM
I worked in a pool hall for 3 years. I think the following are essential:

1. Good location - easy to get there and good parking
2. Cleanliness - Huge
3. Good equipment
4 Place for recreational players with music, beer, wine and food available
5. Place for players to play - tournament room
6. Safety - everyone should feel safe being there.
7. Tournament room needs the best tables and equipment
8. Recreational area - bar boxes and decent 9 footers
9. Waitresses to walk around room to take orders - no one wants to stand at the counter waiting for service while they're paying table time

Good post Rick W :-) Thanks for your input

ignomirello
06-17-2011, 02:30 PM
Good post Rick W :-) Thanks for your input

Rick nice job!

What do you want from your pool hall?

Tominator
06-17-2011, 02:47 PM
Look at Snooker's in Providence, RI. That about covers everything that a pool hall can do right.

PoolBum
06-17-2011, 02:58 PM
Free beer?

ignomirello
06-17-2011, 08:33 PM
Look at Snooker's in Providence, RI. That about covers everything that a pool hall can do right.

I was there many many years ago at a tri-State tournament I was very nice back then.