PDA

View Full Version : I Remeber...

pulldapin
05-30-2011, 11:40 AM
Aloha all,

Especially for those who served and continue to serve our great nation.

I remember my Father LT Rodney Edwin Kuehn USN (Operational Lose) VA-36 27 Oct 1943-7 Jan 1970 and my fallen commrads of Operation Redwing and to those who have fallen in support of it. Because of these sacrifices we continue to live in freedom (somewhat).

Mahalo and God bless all,
Carl

PS If you find the time visit http://navy.togetherweserved.com/usn/index.jsp and contribute to someones rememberance.

Again Mahalo.

Tramp Steamer
05-30-2011, 11:54 AM
I'll bet you a dime to a speckled cue ball that there isn't a veteran here that doesn't get a lump in his, or her, throat when old glory is raised, or taps is played.
Tell us when and who for, boys and girls. :)

Tramp Steamer BT2
USNR 1966-1971

pulldapin
05-30-2011, 11:56 AM
I'll bet you a dime to a speckled cue ball that there isn't a veteran here that doesn't get a lump in his, or her, throat when old glory is raised, or taps is played.

Tramp Steamer BT2
USNR 1966-1971

HERE HERE and again Mahalo

0ne9marine
05-30-2011, 12:56 PM
USMC Bravo Company 1st Battalion 9th Marines "The Walking Dead" 1969 RVN

Vietnam was hours and hours
of sheer boredom punctuated
by moments of sheer terror

pulldapin
05-30-2011, 12:59 PM
USMC Bravo Company 1st Battalion 9th Marines "The Walking Dead" 1969 RVN

Vietnam was hours and hours
of sheer boredom punctuated
by moments of sheer terror

Thank you for reminding me. Also to thank "Suicide Charlie".

Again Mahalo,
Carl

Mr. Wiggles
05-30-2011, 01:05 PM
HERE HERE and again Mahalo

James Leonard. RIP Rusty Wooden, still kickin in Wellston OK. Vietnam vets. Class of 1967 Edmond High School. We were all altar boys at St Johns, including my older brother. Four went, three came back.

9BallPaul
05-30-2011, 01:13 PM

Tramp Steamer BT2
USNR 1966-1971

Count me as one Vietnam vet who's sick and tired of the jingoism that's taken over this country since 9-11. Don't need to hear the national anthem before every sporting event, darn sure don't need "God Bless America" during the 5th inning, and only wish this country could get past seeing the planet as a vast game of Risk.

Cut the defense budget, get the homeless off the street corners, and use the leftover cash to buy every able-bodied male a McDermott G-core cue. We'll be a happier country. I add that because I think this thread is in the wrong forum, and I'm trying to steer it in the right direction.

Who are the top pros who also are vets? Anyone?

pulldapin
05-30-2011, 01:29 PM
Count me as one Vietnam vet who's sick and tired of the jingoism that's taken over this country since 9-11. Don't need to hear the national anthem before every sporting event, darn sure don't need "God Bless America" during the 5th inning, and only wish this country could get past seeing the planet as a vast game of Risk.

Cut the defense budget, get the homeless off the street corners, and use the leftover cash to buy every able-bodied male a McDermott G-core cue. We'll be a happier country. I add that because I think this thread is in the wrong forum, and I'm trying to steer it in the right direction.

I put it in this forum because it belongs in all forums.
Mahalo for your contribution, however much to our great nation. This thread is keeping in spirit with the long standing tradition of what this day is for, rememberance of those who gave their lives so we might live in freedom. Just one Vet's thoughts to another.

Respectfully,
Carl

TX Poolnut
05-30-2011, 01:38 PM
Charlie "hillbilly" Bryant proudly served in the US Army.

JoeyA
05-30-2011, 02:32 PM
The subject is close to my heart. Thanks for remembering those who gave their all.

Underclocked
05-30-2011, 02:33 PM
USN 1969-1977 EM1(SS) with a very short vacation in and off-shore Nam while aboard and getting to the USS Constellation in late 69. Primarily a bubblehead nuke though.

pulldapin
05-30-2011, 02:56 PM
The subject is close to my heart. Thanks for remembering those who gave their all.

My bad. Didn't remember and again many Mahalo's.

Carl

JoeyA
05-30-2011, 04:24 PM
Michael Sanchez, PFC, USMC
June 12, 1950 - September 19, 1970.
Dallas, TX.

9BallPaul
05-30-2011, 04:24 PM
I put it in this forum because it belongs in all forums.
Mahalo for your contribution, however much to our great nation. This thread is keeping in spirit with the long standing tradition of what this day is for, rememberance of those who gave their lives so we might live in freedom. Just one Vet's thoughts to another.

Respectfully,
Carl

Horsemanure. It belongs in NPR -- jingoism is no excuse for overlooking forum decorum. I say that as a vet. You gotta problem with that?

When did you serve? And where?

Mike_S
05-30-2011, 04:33 PM

Fortunately they don't sing "God Bless America" during the 5th inning.
It's the middle of the 7th inning. If you are so set on harping on people, and dropping your e*crap in an otherwise fantastic thread, at least get your facts straight.

JoeyA
05-30-2011, 04:46 PM
A couple of weeks ago I ran into another marine who is a Vietnam veteran and we got to talking about his health and it turns out that he has diabetes and some heart problems.

He didn't know that Congress had passed some bills that acknowledged that Agent Orange is a common denominator for diabetes and some other common ailments that veterans suffer from.

Any Vietnam veteran is entitled to compensation (monthly check) for this disability as well as the medicines and treatment of this military related disease.

If you know a Vietnam veteran and he has diabetes, ask him if he is being compensated by the government or treated by the Veterans Administration Hospital in his local area.

It still amazes me that after all these years, some veterans still don't know about this compensation.

It doesn't matter if they spent one month in Vietnam or 5 years in Vietnam.

BRKNRUN
05-30-2011, 05:04 PM
Thank you to all those that have served...

I am sure there are many great military pool stories.....

I know one guy that told me of a time when they had a pool table in the barraks....and his improvisation of using a band-aide in place of a missing tip so that he could win back some money that his buddy had lost...

TX Poolnut
05-30-2011, 05:50 PM
If you're in the Navy and get the chance to go to the MWR lounge in Limmasol, Cyprus, you will be pleasantly surprised to find a bar box waiting to greet you. :)

There's also several 8' pool tables at NTTC Correy Station, Pensacola, FL in the MWR club.

CTO2(SW) TX Poolnut :)

alstl
05-30-2011, 05:52 PM
Aloha all,

I remember my Father LT Rodney Edwin Kuehn USN (Operational Lose) VA-36 27 Oct 1943-7 Jan 1970 and my fallen commrads of Operation Redwing and to those who have fallen in support of it. Because of these sacrifices we continue to live in freedom (somewhat).

Carl

PS If you find the time visit http://navy.togetherweserved.com/usn/index.jsp and contribute to someones rememberance.

Again Mahalo.

Good for you partner. I remember Robinson, Taylor and Leaver. As long as I'm alive and my find doesn't fail me I'll remember them on this day.

9BallPaul
05-30-2011, 05:59 PM
Fortunately they don't sing "God Bless America" during the 5th inning.
It's the middle of the 7th inning. If you are so set on harping on people, and dropping your e*crap in an otherwise fantastic thread, at least get your facts straight.

That's what you consider a proper rebuttal? Just what I'm talking about.

Tramp Steamer
05-30-2011, 06:10 PM
When not at sea our ship spent most it's time alongside the piers in Little Creek, Virginia. On occasion, my buddies and me would take the bus to downtown Norfolk, where we would drink beer and play pool at the Navy YMCA.
Just down the street, and around the corner, was one of the great poolrooms of that period, St. Elmo's.
If you got there at the right time, on the right day, you could watch the great Luther Lassiter practicing, over in the corner.
Veterans are not pool related? I beg to differ. Veterans and pocket billiards go together like cornbread and beans. :)

P.S. With a slice of onion on the side.

9BallPaul
05-30-2011, 06:51 PM
When not at sea our ship spent most it's time alongside the piers in Little Creek, Virginia. On occasion, my buddies and me would take the bus to downtown Norfolk, where we would drink beer and play pool at the Navy YMCA.
Just down the street, and around the corner, was one of the great poolrooms of that period, St. Elmo's.
If you got there at the right time, on the right day, you could watch the great Luther Lassiter practicing, over in the corner.
Veterans are not pool related? I beg to differ. Veterans and pocket billiards go together like cornbread and beans. :)

P.S. With a slice of onion on the side.

Now that's what I'm talking about. Thanks, Trampster.

Reminds me that in basic training, I was assigned all-night guard duty in the day room, of all places, which was equipped with a pool table. Couple of the drill instructors waltzed in from the NCO club, where they'd gotten liquored up, and wanted to play pool. Yessiree
Bob. I'd been on the road in San Francisco just before getting drafted, and was still well in stroke.

That session freed me from KP for the rest of basic training.

Happy, everyone?

P.S: Oh, and by the way: Thanks for all the red rep, you yellow bellies. I'm gonna send you all green in gratitude.

Thunderball
05-30-2011, 07:27 PM
3/178 HQHQB field artillary.

USNG.

13E.

8 years....never called into action. Honestly glad for that.

I was indeed ready to serve, but I'm proud and thankfull for those who actually did.

The freedom to ***** about our freedoms ain't cheap folks.
Many who have provided it will have no futher opinions on the matter.

Str8PoolPlayer
05-30-2011, 11:06 PM
U.S.N. '61 - '68 ... CWO4 ... Naval Air Intelligence.

I was "shot at and missed, shit at and hit."

Proudly served Our Country and always regretted not
staying at least 20 years. Those are the most memorable
days/years of my life.

God Bless America and Our Troops.

phread59
06-01-2011, 06:02 PM
I am not a vet. I was denied voluntary enlistment due to life long asthma. I have many friends and family that are Vets. My wife is ex Coast Guard. I respect and admire all those who serve my country. God bless each and every one of you. I have the greatest respect and admiration for you. In the truest way.... Semper Fidelis.

Mark Shuman

mfinkelstein3
06-01-2011, 06:25 PM
I spent 21 years in the US Navy. Got shot at and missed at Quang Tri and some other god forsaken places. Played lots of 3 day sessions in Olangapo, Clark, Yokosuka, Sasebo, and more places than I care to remember.

Funny how they always sent some guy from Manila down to try and beat me. They never could believe a sailor could play. Nothing beats the Pan Disal and stale beer after an all night session.

I'm the house pro at Slate's in NYC (used to be Chelsea Billiards).

My hats off to all the veterans! Thank you for your service.

danquixote
06-01-2011, 07:11 PM
I'll not red rep ya 9ball. I never met a yellowbelly during my time serving and all the heros I knew have passed. I will say to you that there is no improper place or time to pay honor and tribute to those who have served.

USN 67-71

measureman
06-01-2011, 08:42 PM
USMC nov'65 to Oct '69 2 years in Viet Nam. Thats it.

risky biz
06-02-2011, 03:30 AM
I spent 21 years in the US Navy. Got shot at and missed at Quang Tri and some other god forsaken places. Played lots of 3 day sessions in Olangapo, Clark, Yokosuka, Sasebo, and more places than I care to remember.

Funny how they always sent some guy from Manila down to try and beat me. They never could believe a sailor could play. Nothing beats the Pan Disal and stale beer after an all night session.

I'm the house pro at Slate's in NYC (used to be Chelsea Billiards).

My hats off to all the veterans! Thank you for your service.

There were pool tables in Olongapo? I was there a year and a half, '68 - '69, and never saw one. And I lived offbase in Olongapo ("illegally"). Where were they? I never heard of any onbase, either, at Cubi or Subic. If there were any around that I knew of I would have been using them.

risky biz
06-02-2011, 03:42 AM
Aloha all,

Carl

Again Mahalo.

We continue to live in freedom because we poured a gazillion tons of high explosives on a little country like Vietnam, finally admitted defeat, and now our warmongering leaders are shipping American jobs over there as fast as they can get their tax credits for doing it? OK.

WWII at least had a moral rationale underneath it even if the results were hideous. The rest of America's "wars"- forget about it.

CarlB
06-02-2011, 04:04 AM
SSG Carl Bekowitz, United States Army, June 2001 to Present. 35F Intelligence Analyst. Served with 1st Cavalry Division Artillery,
5th Brigade Combat Team.
US Army Joint Intelligence Combat Training Center.
1st Squadron, 11th Armor Cavalry Regiment.
304th Military Intelligence Battalion.
United States Forces Afghanistan.
Afghanistan Document & Media Exploitation.
1-34 Cavalry Recon Squadron.
1st Battalion, 9th Marines, Marjah, Afghanistan.

To all the are serving and have served, Thank you. Sorry this is a little late for memorial day, but it doesn't take away from the appreciation that I have for each and every person that has served the United States of America.

You don't have to agree with policy,
You don't have to agree with politics,
you don't have to like the administration,
but don't take that out on the soldier.

It is the Soldier, not the reporter
Who has given us freedom of the press.

It is the Soldier, not the poet
Who has given us freedom of speech.

It is the Soldier, not the campus organizer
Who has given us freedom to protest.

It is the Soldier, not the lawyer
Who has given us the right to a fair trial.

It is the Soldier, not the politician
Who has given us the right to vote.

It is the Soldier who salutes the flag,
Who serves beneath the flag,
And whose coffin is draped by the flag,
Who allows the protester to burn the flag.

Carl

tedkaufman
06-02-2011, 06:43 AM

Thank you for such an elucidating post! I was going to write nearly the same thing until I got to yours. Well said, my friend!

I am so sick of knee-jerk "thanks" when people today hear of my service in VN. Ironically, about 3 months into my tour, I realized we had no business in VN.

And today, in Iraq and Afghanistan, the situation is the same. We never had ANY business in Iraq or Afghanistan that advanced our national security--unless you consider making rich people richer an issue of national security.

Since WWII we've been a nation bent on imperialism, and sadly, the nation my ancestors fought to create is following the same course of imperialistic demise characterized by the Romans and British.

tedkaufman
06-02-2011, 06:51 AM
We continue to live in freedom because we poured a gazillion tons of high explosives on a little country like Vietnam, finally admitted defeat, and now our warmongering leaders are shipping American jobs over there as fast as they can get their tax credits for doing it? OK.

WWII at least had a moral rationale underneath it even if the results were hideous. The rest of America's "wars"- forget about it.

Well said! Props to you!

JoeyA
06-02-2011, 07:16 AM
I am so sick of knee-jerk "thanks" when people today hear of my service in VN. Ironically, about 3 months into my tour, I realized we had no business in VN.

And today, in Iraq and Afghanistan, the situation is the same. We never had ANY business in Iraq or Afghanistan that advanced our national security--unless you consider making rich people richer an issue of national security.

I think some people are just trying to make up for the reported way that some of our military was treated when they returned from Vietnam.

JoeyA

tedkaufman
06-02-2011, 08:16 AM
It's true VN vets were, to say the least, not thanked. But the fact is, just like our troops today, we were sent on a wrong-headed mission with no real purpose. It's not the troops' fault; it's the fault of corporate greed and bought and paid for politicians who service their corporate benefactors.

When I returned from VN, I knew the protesters were right. I knew first hand. Just as I know the folly of the faux rah-rah patriotism promoted by Fox News to justify and support George Bush's wars of opportunity. It was all a lie.

When soldiers returned from WWII, they were justly and deservedly thanked for literally saving our country and our way of life. That has never been the case in any war since then. Our soldiers lives have been thrown away as so much fodder, to increase the wealth of those who don't need more and have never served to protect our nation.

risky biz
06-02-2011, 08:16 AM
I think some people are just trying to make up for the reported way that some of our military was treated when they returned from Vietnam.

JoeyA

I didn't serve in Vietnam but I have plenty of friends and acquaintances who did. They haven't mentioned anything unusual. What are you talking about?

risky biz
06-02-2011, 08:19 AM
When soldiers returned from WWII, they were justly and deservedly thanked for literally saving our country and our way of life. That has never been the case in any war since then. Our soldiers lives have been thrown away as so much fodder, to increase the wealth of those who don't need more and have never served to protect our nation.

"Nail on the head" nomination for that.

risky biz
06-02-2011, 08:31 AM
It is the Soldier who salutes the flag,
Who serves beneath the flag,
And whose coffin is draped by the flag,
Who allows the protester to burn the flag.

Carl

Carl, associating anyone who criticizes an imperialist foreign policy with someone who burns an American flag borders on ridiculous. We love our flag. That doesn't mean we have to love a government that tramples on it and what it is supposed to represent.

It's those who have turned this country into an imperialist empire who burned and are burning our flag, our Constitution, and everything else America was supposed to stand for when it was founded. Read a little history and figure out what it really means to be an American.

Chicago Tribune: 'You have been quoted here as an anti-imperialist.'
Mark Twain: 'Well, I am.'
~ Oct. 15, 1900

Fatboy
06-02-2011, 08:31 AM
Aloha all,

Carl

Again Mahalo.

Great post,

My dad and Uncle(alive) served in WW2.

while I dont agree with the wars-I 10000% support the troops and have the highest respect for them and am greatful more than I can put into words. If it was not for them, I couldnt have done what I have done, I have awalys liked to think my taxes I pay is for them the troops. They deserve it and the vetrains equally deserve it. I couldnt have ever went to war, I'm a chicken, wimp what ever you want to call me. I dont have the balls to go into battle. I would like to be the people in Vegas that fly the drowns and blow shit up-it's like a video game. Or be a sniper in a well covered protected place. I'm very good with guns(wish I played pool as good as I shoot fire arms). But to be in a spot where a rad side bomb could blow up the Hummer I piss my pants and couldnt stand the ride. I have huge respect for the guys in battle, and even the support people working that are not at risk, they bust their asses and are underpaid.

The miliary should increase all compensation for active duty people and offer them more $ for education after their service. I dont give a rats ass about how "Broke" the economy is, pay the people more.

Tom In Cincy
06-02-2011, 08:38 AM
US Navy, ASW3, 1965-1968, VN 67-68. VP-19, P3-Orion crew member (radio, radar, julie, ecm)

I forgot everything I was tought.

Tramp Steamer
06-02-2011, 08:58 AM
Pay no attention to those here who have a political agenda to whine and cry about. This thread was begun in order to salute those who have served our nation, and those who continue to serve.
If you don't wish to do so then stay out of it.

risky biz
06-02-2011, 08:28 PM
Pay no attention to those here who have a political agenda to whine and cry about. This thread was begun in order to salute those who have served our nation, and those who continue to serve.
If you don't wish to do so then stay out of it.

I've served my nation plenty and I'm not the one whining.

In any case, I'm going to go look for a pool thread.

CarlB
06-02-2011, 11:25 PM
Carl, associating anyone who criticizes an imperialist foreign policy with someone who burns an American flag borders on ridiculous. We love our flag. That doesn't mean we have to love a government that tramples on it and what it is supposed to represent.

It's those who have turned this country into an imperialist empire who burned and are burning our flag, our Constitution, and everything else America was supposed to stand for when it was founded. Read a little history and figure out what it really means to be an American.

Chicago Tribune: 'You have been quoted here as an anti-imperialist.'
Mark Twain: 'Well, I am.'
~ Oct. 15, 1900

umm, its a poem. lmfao. but I love how everything has to be twisted to a political agenda to some. Did you NOT read the purpose of the poem and the last part of my post, or did you simply jump at the opportunity to twist one small part of my words?

The point of my words and that of the poem are the despite YOUR or anyones personal views on government, reason for war, poilicy, whatever, you should never waiver your support for the soldiers. I guess some cant possibly draw that line and understand where I am coming from.

I may or may not agree with why I am here in afghanistan, why I was in Iraq 3 times, why we went to any other war, but nevertheless I stand ready to defend our countries freedoms, enhance our security, and follow the orders that are given to me.

I have been punched by protesters, they have spit in my face, called me names, called me a homosexual, and I have guarded military funerals from these mongrels that dare to disrespect the fallen. It is the ignorance of some that really make me see what I fight for. I fight for the freedom to express the most extreme and ridiculous opinions that are so ignorant in nature, however, they still have the freedom to do so. I serve so that you have the freedom to post comments about hating the government, go to england and talk bad about the queen, or go to China and attempt to openly disrespect the government and see what happens.

It isn't until your freedoms are taken away that you truely appreciate them. We live in a country full of unappreciative, disrespectful, and ignorant people, but guess what, they have the freedom to be that way.

It is not everyday that you can run into a soldier that feels so passionate about what I do, and I can speak intelligently about it, so you might want to think twice before poking me with that little political stick you guys wield in NPR. My passion for our country will far outweigh any political agenda, and words that speak out against our service men and women.

I Love Our Country, I appreciate everything I am afforded. Enjoy your freedom and never EVER forget who readily defends its. Your veterens and current service men and women are ALWAYS to thank.

Carl

risky biz
06-03-2011, 12:12 AM
umm, its a poem. lmfao. but I love how everything has to be twisted to a political agenda to some. Did you NOT read the purpose of the poem and the last part of my post, or did you simply jump at the opportunity to twist one small part of my words?

The point of my words and that of the poem are the despite YOUR or anyones personal views on government, reason for war, poilicy, whatever, you should never waiver your support for the soldiers. I guess some cant possibly draw that line and understand where I am coming from.

I may or may not agree with why I am here in afghanistan, why I was in Iraq 3 times, why we went to any other war, but nevertheless I stand ready to defend our countries freedoms, enhance our security, and follow the orders that are given to me.

I have been punched by protesters, they have spit in my face, called me names, called me a homosexual, and I have guarded military funerals from these mongrels that dare to disrespect the fallen. It is the ignorance of some that really make me see what I fight for. I fight for the freedom to express the most extreme and ridiculous opinions that are so ignorant in nature, however, they still have the freedom to do so. I serve so that you have the freedom to post comments about hating the government, go to england and talk bad about the queen, or go to China and attempt to openly disrespect the government and see what happens.

It isn't until your freedoms are taken away that you truely appreciate them. We live in a country full of unappreciative, disrespectful, and ignorant people, but guess what, they have the freedom to be that way.

It is not everyday that you can run into a soldier that feels so passionate about what I do, and I can speak intelligently about it, so you might want to think twice before poking me with that little political stick you guys wield in NPR. My passion for our country will far outweigh any political agenda, and words that speak out against our service men and women.

I Love Our Country, I appreciate everything I am afforded. Enjoy your freedom and never EVER forget who readily defends its. Your veterens and current service men and women are ALWAYS to thank.

Carl

Yeah, a poem which "associates anyone who criticizes an imperialist foreign policy with someone who burns an American flag".

And, now you're associating anyone who criticizes an imperialist foreign policy with the religious nuts who scream "fag" at military funerals. You're stretching really far for the guilt by association ploy.

Also, it would seem a little odd to me to thank both them and myself since I'm a veteran.

I'm wondering if you couldn't care less about the Bill of Rights or the part of the Constitution that says Congress is the branch of government that declares war.

I'm going back to the pool threads and I mean it this time.

pulldapin
06-03-2011, 12:22 AM
Mahalo to all,

First of all my OP was put out on Memorial Day simply to give rememberence for those that have lost thier lives in service to our still great country. I think this country is in a world of hurt right now, however it doesn't take away from the fact that some have given everything for the freedom (however limited it becomes with each passing day) that we continue to share.
This post was not intended to cause retoric or anymosities (some just can't help themselves), but again for anyone wishing to do so, mention someone worth remembering.

Mahalo again to all,

Carl

CarlB
06-03-2011, 01:17 AM
Yeah, a poem which "associates anyone who criticizes an imperialist foreign policy with someone who burns an American flag".

And, now you're associating anyone who criticizes an imperialist foreign policy with the religious nuts who scream "fag" at military funerals. You're stretching really far for the guilt by association ploy.

Also, it would seem a little odd to me to thank both them and myself since I'm a veteran.

I'm wondering if you couldn't care less about the Bill of Rights or the part of the Constitution that says Congress is the branch of government that declares war.

I'm going back to the pool threads and I mean it this time.

Wow, and you dare to question my patriotism and if I "care" about the Bill of Rights and the Constitution. /sigh, I suppose some people just do not get it and simply attempt to take anything and twist it horribly.

You can say whatever you like, my actions speak for me. not you. There is not a doubt in my mind that no matter what you say, you will never put into question my integrity nor my commitment to my country.

If you don't like policy, do something about it. If you don't like a poem, write a better one. If you have a problem with something the president did, thats fine, do not try to push your agenda on those that serve this country.

I hope you do find a pool thread and I really hope you can step back from yourself for a moment and realize that there is a huge difference between your political views and patriotism.

Carl