PDA

View Full Version : Student surpass the mentor.

ctyhntr
05-30-2011, 01:16 PM
Right before the start of last season, a friend in the league introduced me to a new player on his 8-ball team. The guy liked the pool league that he was going to come back. I noticed he didn't have a cue, and offered to lend him one of my backup cues. I lent him a sneaky pete that I keep in my locker, told him that can keep it as long as he wants. Rather than rush to make a purchase, he can take his time and buy the stick that's feels right for him.

He calls me up last week and let me know that his team won the 8-ball league championship. He played well enough that the league operator raised him and 2 other players on the team for this season. He bought a new cue, wanted to return my cue, and buy me drinks. Yesterday we met at the poolhall. Previously I showed him basic drills to practice stop, follow, and draw. After getting bored, he asked to learn english. I told him I barely knew the fundamentals, but would teach as much as I know. After 45 minutes of practicing, I took this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L1yJ5psoJ_A

I suggested he invest some of his winnings to buy lessons.

gordml
05-30-2011, 01:20 PM
Right before the start of last season, a friend in the league introduced me to a new player on his 8-ball team. The guy liked the pool league that he was going to come back. I noticed he didn't have a cue, and offered to lend him one of my backup cues. I lent him a sneaky pete that I keep in my locker, told him that can keep it as long as he wants. Rather than rush to make a purchase, he can take his time and buy the stick that's feels right for him.

He calls me up last week and let me know that his team won the 8-ball league championship. He played well enough that the league operator raised him and 2 other players on the team for this season. He bought a new cue, wanted to return my cue, and buy me drinks. Yesterday we met at the poolhall. Previously I showed him basic drills to practice stop, follow, and draw. After getting bored, he asked to learn english. I told him I barely knew the fundamentals, but would teach as much as I know. After 45 minutes of practicing, I took this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L1yJ5psoJ_A

I suggested he invest some of his winnings to buy lessons.

i think im missing the point here.....

paksat
05-30-2011, 01:32 PM
what a shot.................

ctyhntr
05-30-2011, 02:54 PM
Actually, I try to take lessons when I can afford it. It took me alot longer, so I'm happy that I was able to pass along knowledge that enable him to learn it much quicker.

so you're saying you cant make that shot???? hmmm maybe you should take lessons

TannerPruess
05-30-2011, 03:30 PM

Attitudes like that toward new players is not what helps grow our sport.

ctyhntr - Thank you for sharing your knowledge to new players and welcoming them into the great sport.

Blue Hog ridr
05-30-2011, 03:41 PM
Yeah, thats actually pretty cool that you could admit to the new player that you are a new player as well and yet teach him what you do know.
That helps immensely and you have no idea how much that means to novice players. They are nervous and try their best but it can also be a little embarrassing for them at times.

When I met my wife, she told me that she probably played 30 games of pool
on a box in her life. She improved 100% and I improved greatly along with her. Now, shes a strong player and many league players give her compliments on her game.

You should be proud that you helped a novice get going in the game.

zrx replica
05-30-2011, 08:03 PM
just callin em like i see em. this thread seems pretty pointless to me. i could have my 8 year old cousin makin that shot within twenty minutes.

i do appreciate any enthusiasm and desire to learn directed at pool. so good for him

I'm with T.P....Kool ya made your point with tact...Too bad he couldn't pick up on it... He then backs up his arrogance with another ass-hat statement...
Surely gives pool a red mark for newbies wanting to get in the game...:angry:

ctyhntr
05-30-2011, 08:06 PM
Yesterday, introduced him to tangent lines and how spin can influence cue-ball path.

The shot on the left, he can probably make the ball 7 out 10 times. Even less if he puts draw or follow.

The shot on the right, I was showing him tangent lines and cue ball path (effects of draw, follow, centerball).

Next couple of weeks, we're going to work on the concept of a pre-shot routine. He bought Phil Capelle's practicing pool. So, I'm thinking of using that as a study guide.

He wanted to know about making position, as other more advanced players stressed the importance of making shape.

I told him to focus on consistency in making the ball. I explained to him that every shot is like an algebra equation. You have two parts to solve, making the ball (X) and getting shape (Y). Getting shape can help you make it easier to make on the next shot (X). Until you solve for X (making the shot), there is no point in solving for Y (positioning).

At least he plays better safeties than me. :D

RunoutJJ
05-30-2011, 08:17 PM
Read my sig at the very bottom....

poolplayer2093
05-30-2011, 08:27 PM
i showed a buddy of mine the basics of playing pool. within 4 months we were playing even.

i met another guy that had been playing for 6 months that could give me the 8. it's always funny to see how people learn the game

Spade
05-30-2011, 10:27 PM
Thats a very nice story. need more people like u to pass things on

Strike First
05-31-2011, 12:09 AM
its great that someone new is getting interested in pool. thats not the point. i just dont see why a thread about a guy who knows very little about pool teaching a guy who knows basically nothing about pool is on here.

waste of time.

side note- what does ass-hat mean? i like that one.

This is a forum about pool..what the hell are you expecting?

Blue Hog ridr
05-31-2011, 05:28 AM

One who has their head up their ass. Thus wearing their ass as a hat.

I got called a Twat Waffle here.
I had to look it up and found out I was supposedly a Total Slam Piece.

3kushn
05-31-2011, 07:40 AM
Not sure if you saw the shot correctly? He's not bi-secting the angle. He clocked it.
I'm sure there's been some 8 year olds that could understand and apply this technique but its not common. Actually not common knowledge at any age.

Where is the tip placement to get a 1,2,or 3 diamond spread hitting the CB parallel to the short rail?

Sorry just think he got a good lesson and apparently listened. Maybe you do know this and did notice. If so excuse the accusation.

MOJOE
05-31-2011, 08:22 AM
It's very cool that you have taken the time and initiative to help someone learn the game of pool. Most of us appreciate it, many are too selfish to do what you have done..

Ignore the douche bag comments, you'll find at least one in nearly every thread.. Don't bother responding, it's attention that they crave..

Peace, JoeyK

zrx replica
05-31-2011, 08:38 AM
Wont do any good explaining to someone this arrogant...

donuteric
05-31-2011, 08:44 AM
its great that someone new is getting interested in pool. thats not the point. i just dont see why a thread about a guy who knows very little about pool teaching a guy who knows basically nothing about pool is on here.

waste of time.

Quite simple. Really. Look into the mirror and you'll see one.

zrx replica
05-31-2011, 08:52 AM
Quite simple. Really. Look into the mirror and you'll see one.

Dont get mo-betta dan dat!! Lol...(prolly still wont get it)--Smug folks seldom do...

scottjen26
05-31-2011, 09:04 AM
Very nice of you to get another player started into pool, and especially borrowing him your cue so he had something nice to shoot with.

I got started myself in a very similar manner. A girl I worked with, her boyfriend came down to the rec center at school to shoot some, he was pretty good and took some time to show me a few basic things. He saw I liked it, and instead of playing video games or bowling all the time I started really getting into pool. I practice a ton, like 6 - 8 hours a day, and we met several times over the next month or two so he could show me more. He borrowed me his backup Sailor cue as well to practice with. The Color of Money came out around that same time, and after practicing for a while, watching the movie, and working my way through Ray Martin's 99 Critical Shots I was hooked.

I actually beat my mentor in a few games of 8 ball a few months later, and then I lost track of him, but I'll always remember his generosity with his knowledge and his cue to help me get started. 25 years later still going strong, and I'm always willing to share whatever knowledge I can as well.
Scott

RunoutJJ
05-31-2011, 10:46 AM
I like calling pieces of filth Sugar Tit* or Nerf Herde. Or even better....

Twat :bash:

ctyhntr
05-31-2011, 07:10 PM
I sincerely appreciate the encouragement.

trustyrusty
05-31-2011, 07:28 PM
You can learn something new from ANYONE!!! I don't care if they've just recently learned to hold a cue, or if they're a champion. Heck, someone might even learn something from AJ (zrx replica)!!!! :p kidding bud. Teaching someone something they didn't know is GREAT. Be proud that you could help in any way. Wish more folks would be willing to share these kinds of things instead of always just being worried it could come back to bite them (the newbie ends up beating the teacher at a later date). :thumbup:

Spantiznik
05-31-2011, 07:36 PM
Thanks for sharing the little clip and your knowledge.. Keep up the good work :-)

Scott Lee
05-31-2011, 08:09 PM
Henry...Good job! I hope you showed him the Mother Drills, and how to use them to correct and ingrain an accurate and repeatable setup and delivery process! If not, next time bring your pool school workbook with you, and share that stuff with him! :thumbup:

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com

I sincerely appreciate the encouragement.

ctyhntr
06-01-2011, 01:32 PM
Scott,

I was going to show him the concept of the pre-shot routine, so he doesn't overwhelm himself. Showing him, helps me reinforce what I learn, and probably forgotten.

mattb
06-01-2011, 07:05 PM
I learned the hard way with no teacher other than "paying" for lessons. I even asked a guy I looked up to one time to teach me and offered to pay him, but he knew he was better and only wanted to gamble and not teach. I wish I could find him now, I would take him up on that so I could hand him his rear on a plate and remove his wallet.

What you are doing is great don't let people discourage you. We ALL have to start somewhere.