PDA

View Full Version : Bar box - 8 ball in last pocket

Blue Hog ridr
05-30-2011, 02:51 PM
Looking for answers or incites into how you guys play or the rules you follow.

I was playing a month end 8 ball Scotch tourney yesterday. 8 ball in last pocket. It seems that the rules change every month and the young girl who runs the tournament (most time begrudgingly) doesn't know the rules when someone asks.

My partner took a shot and missed. Our opponents were then shooting the 8 ball that was partially tied up between 2 of our balls. The shooter said that he has to be able to see 100% of the 8 ball or he doesn't have to hit it.

I showed him that he could see at least 50% of the 8 and that I was told that if in fact you could see that much, you have to play it. Thats how I had to play the 8, the last time I was in the same situation.
Seems that some people have their own ideas of what the rules are or should be.

So anyway, here lies the small problem in playing bar box. The shooter gets to push the cue ball out and as long as he doesn't hit one of our balls, its a fair shot.
In doing so he isn't going to leave us in a good position, and I wouldn't expect him to either. But essentially, he is hooked which gives him the opportunity to hook us or leave us bad until they have a somewhat perfect shot on the 8.

Now, the 8 was left close to being over a corner pocket, but not their last pocket. I did mention that he didn't want to play the 8 because it wasn't close to their last pocket, but if it had have been their last pocket, they probably would have gladly played the 8 at being able to see 50% of it and most likely would have gotten it in. The angle of the cue ball in proportion to the 8 was a pretty easy hit.

I will mention that it is just a fun tourney between the regulars, most of us being good acquaintances so its not really a huge deal. We are just there for the fun of killing a Sunday afternoon.

It would be nice to hear how you guys play with some of the rules you follow and some new incites. I might be able to take some of these back to the girl who runs the tourney and maybe then we can set down some
regular rules so at least we can all be reading from the same page and not allowing people to make rules as it suits them.

It would help immensely as their are some heated arguments on occasion
regarding the rules of bar box, last pocket. Even tho we are good friends, the end result is some arguments at times.

Thanks for the help, I appreciate it.

Also, I'd like to add another situation. My friend lost the B side of the tourney over this.
He was on his last ball. He said it was pretty obvious to which pocket it was going and that he motioned with his cue to the pocket.
he shot it and made the ball. He got shape on the 8 and put it in his last pocket. It was then that his opponents told him that he didn't call his last pocket and therefore lost the game.

Now, I'm thinking that because his opponents didn't question him on his second last shot and allowed him to shoot the 8, that it should have been his game, but then again, like I mentioned, this is bar box pool and people seem to make the rules as they go if it suits them.
Anyone like to add their opinion on this situation, feel free.

wontonny
05-30-2011, 03:26 PM
It seems that the rules change every month and the young girl who runs the tournament (most time begrudgingly) doesn't know the rules when someone asks.

The shooter said that he has to be able to see 100% of the 8 ball or he doesn't have to hit it.

So anyway, here lies the small problem in playing bar box. The shooter gets to push the cue ball out and as long as he doesn't hit one of our balls, its a fair shot.
In doing so he isn't going to leave us in a good position, and I wouldn't expect him to either. But essentially, he is hooked which gives him the opportunity to hook us or leave us bad until they have a somewhat perfect shot on the 8.

I will mention that it is just a fun tourney between the regulars, most of us being good acquaintances so its not really a huge deal. We are just there for the fun of killing a Sunday afternoon.

Also, I'd like to add another situation. My friend lost the B side of the tourney over this.
He was on his last ball. He said it was pretty obvious to which pocket it was going and that he motioned with his cue to the pocket.
he shot it and made the ball. He got shape on the 8 and put it in his last pocket. It was then that his opponents told him that he didn't call his last pocket and therefore lost the game.

Now, I'm thinking that because his opponents didn't question him on his second last shot and allowed him to shoot the 8, that it should have been his game, but then again, like I mentioned, this is bar box pool and people seem to make the rules as they go if it suits them.
Anyone like to add their opinion on this situation, feel free.

:rotflmao1: :rotflmao1: :rotflmao1: :rotflmao1: :rotflmao1: :rotflmao1:

With all this being said, it's incredible that you still play there. 100% of the 8? Are you kidding me?

SirNoobs
05-30-2011, 04:07 PM
Because of BS like that I make sure to poke my opponent or get his attention and then VERBALLY say which pocket. Sometimes I even walk over and point to the pocket like a madman. At least they won't dispute that you didn't call the pocket.

TheConArtist
05-30-2011, 04:14 PM
The way we play here is valley rules so if they couldnt see the 8 they must try and hit it if not ball in hand... Period. Except if you play straight 8 you know kitchen, loss of game if you scratch on the break etc... But its so easy to win at that game

Mikjary
05-30-2011, 04:27 PM
You don't have to call the pocket for the eight in last pocket eight ball! Think about it. :D

The other rules are; no same last pocket. If you can it is a good move to knock the opponent's last ball into the side pocket (legally) to make it tough on them. If the last ball is illegally pocketed, it gets spotted. If they make their last ball in the your same last pocket, you get to choose a different pocket for them.

All scratches are ball in hand in the kitchen. I try not to take a last pocket behind the headstring for this reason.

If the eight ball is in the jaws of a neutral pocket and neither player/team wants to attempt to hit it out of the pocket, you can kick three or more rails at it. The rail next to the pocket doesn't count as a rail. Or the eight can be spotted, but the first shot at it by either team must be banked, in order to not give one team a clear shot to its last pocket.

You don't lose if you scratch on the eight, unless you pocket the eight ball at the same time.

Best,
Mike

Str8PoolPlayer
05-30-2011, 11:24 PM
Many Moons ago, we used to play 1 & 15 in opposite side pockets and
8-Ball in the last pocket or Bank the 8.

It works out great when you can retrieve and spot the balls
(if pocketed in wrong pocket), but with the advent of so many
coin-op tables, the current form of 8-Ball is about the best
we can hope for, especially on Bar Boxes.

Luckily, a few Bars in my area actually open the tables and allow
us to pay by the hour instead of by the game, allowing more
flexibility of game/rule choice.