PDA

View Full Version : what the difference between a friendly game and blatent fouls

FASTEDDIE427
05-30-2011, 07:09 PM
today there was a little round robin tourney at a friend of my familys table. now im sure we've all accidentally hit an object ball that was very close to a cue ball and moved it a little right, the opponent says no harm no foul and you place it back. life moves on.

today the third place finisher was playing me and on the last rack lined up for a 4 -9 combo. only problem is on her final stroke her back hand struck the 7 ball and it actually followed the 4 into the pocket after the 9 sank. this is where i gotta say wait a min, that a blatent foul.

she says lets put the 7 back and since she legally sunk the 9 the game is over, i say no the foul occured before the lowest numbered ball was hit spot all 3 and i get ball in hand. i didnt put up to much of a fight ( ok maybe some swearing and snide comments the rest of the night, but she started it. )

what do you guys think

SKILLZELITE
05-30-2011, 07:19 PM
iF THERE ISNT MONEY ON THE LINE , THEN i WOULDNT sweat it..

tom mcgonagle
05-30-2011, 07:23 PM
Eddie, It was harder for her to foul the seven and make the shot. Applaud her effort.

JDB
05-30-2011, 07:27 PM
today there was a little round robin tourney at a friend of my familys table. now im sure we've all accidentally hit an object ball that was very close to a cue ball and moved it a little right, the opponent says no harm no foul and you place it back. life moves on.

today the third place finisher was playing me and on the last rack lined up for a 4 -9 combo. only problem is on her final stroke her back hand struck the 7 ball and it actually followed the 4 into the pocket after the 9 sank. this is where i gotta say wait a min, that a blatent foul.

she says lets put the 7 back and since she legally sunk the 9 the game is over, i say no the foul occured before the lowest numbered ball was hit spot all 3 and i get ball in hand. i didnt put up to much of a fight ( ok maybe some swearing and snide comments the rest of the night, but she started it. )

what do you guys think

If the 7 ball did not interfere (ie., hit) the 4 ball or the 9 ball then I don't think it is a foul and the 7 would be replaced. However, it doesn't need to be replaced because the game is effectively over once the 9 ball went in.

lorider
05-30-2011, 07:27 PM

what do you guys think

if the 7 did not cause the 9 to drop i dont see where it changed the outcome of the game. sounds like you are pissed cause she beat your ass :wink:.

FASTEDDIE427
05-30-2011, 07:32 PM
yes there was money on the line

the seven did not affect the outcome of the game thats true but i personally beleive this to be a foul

if this happened at the us open 9 ball there would be mass hysteria

DallasHopps
05-30-2011, 07:55 PM
were you playing all-ball fouls, or cue-only fouls? If it hadn't been a money ball shot, or if the severity of the bump of the 7 hadn't been so extreme, would you have let it slide? I agree that it's a sucky situation, but the rules that had been followed up to that point sound like you were only calling fouls on the cue ball. The game goes to her.

richiebalto
05-30-2011, 08:20 PM
were you playing all-ball fouls, or cue-only fouls? If it hadn't been a money ball shot, or if the severity of the bump of the 7 hadn't been so extreme, would you have let it slide? I agree that it's a sucky situation, but the rules that had been followed up to that point sound like you were only calling fouls on the cue ball. The game goes to her.

This sounds like the right call!

manwon
05-30-2011, 08:36 PM

what do you guys think

I think taking Pool serious with recreational players is not worth the time or the bad thoughts.

Have fun or play serious players who understand the game!!:)

JIMO

GADawg
05-30-2011, 08:52 PM
If you are normally replacing accidentally moved balls, then you are actually playing cue ball fouls only. In this case, since the action did not affect the outcome of the shot, there was no foul and game over with sinking of 9 ball.

If you had been playing all fouls , then this would be a foul, the 9 ball spotted and you have ball in hand.

Zivan1967
05-30-2011, 09:19 PM

what do you guys think

If you're playing cue ball fouls only since it's a "friendly game" then moving the 7 is fine as long as she places it back where it was BEFORE the shot. If the ball is not put back where it's suppose to be before the shot, then it's a foul.

To those who say it's alright because the 7 didn't interfere with the shot, well it did interfere with her stroke or she wouldn't have moved it in the first place. It sounds like she needed to jack up on the shot and instead tried to stay level (in order to make sure she made the shot) and it cost her.

edit: I checked the BCA rules and it says that the shot would be good as long as nothing travels through the unrestored spot, but if I was gambling and you tried to call that shot good, I'd definitely have a problem with it because you stroked the shot in an area on the table that was impossible to do so since a ball was there. So while I have to jack up making my shots harder because I don't want to hit anything you can stroke however you want? In my rule book this is a foul, stroke better next time.