PDA

View Full Version : 11 ball or 12ball will it ever happen?

richiebalto
05-30-2011, 08:31 PM
ok guys since alot of the top players have figure out the 10ball break,now some r starting to put games together.as in scott frost ran a 5 on appleton,and it just seems that the top players are starting to run out in 10ball as they once did in 9ball,now do you guys ever think that 10ball will get easy for the pros and then just maybe they will start up a new game as in 12ball or 11ball or something different!

peppersauce
05-30-2011, 08:39 PM

BlaineBarcus
05-30-2011, 08:42 PM
I know of a few that practice 13 ball quite a bit, the balls break just like 10 ball and there arnt as many clusters as if there were 15

jamesroberts
05-30-2011, 08:48 PM
its fairly easy to make 3 and 4 balls on the break playing 12 ball.
Whats wrong with running packages?
Make the races longer that way both players should get a chance,
Id like to see a tourney that has races to 21 or so

donuteric
05-30-2011, 08:49 PM
I'm hoping in about 5 to 10 years we'll all be playing 15-ball rotation on 10 footer.

ctyhntr
05-30-2011, 08:49 PM
Eventually someone will crack the secret to 11 ball, then 12, 13, and so on.

Later I may be ridiculed like Bill Gates when he made the fatal statement 640K is enough for anyone. I dare propose we should go to 15 ball rotation on 6 x 12 Snooker tables, refelted with Simonis 860.

That should be go for at least 10-15 years on the Pro circuit, or 6 months on AZB before someone suggest we move to 21 balls.

In all seriousness, they should go back to 14.1 straight pool. Last night I was having a discussion with a friend, turns out he's also a pool player. As he explained to me, 9-ball to him is like playing tic-tac-toe. Its too short, anyone can win. Still wishing I could play 9-ball as well as tic-tac-toe.

At the 14.1 World Championship, it was round robin format. How about changing the semi-final format in single or double elimination to round robin?

Drew
05-30-2011, 09:16 PM

Later I may be ridiculed like Bill Gates when he made the fatal statement 640K is enough for anyone. I dare propose we should go to 15 ball rotation on 6 x 12 Snooker tables, refelted with Simonis 860.

That should be go for at least 10-15 years on the Pro circuit, or 6 months on AZB before someone suggest we move to 21 balls.

In all seriousness, they should go back to 14.1 straight pool. Last night I was having a discussion with a friend, turns out he's also a pool player. As he explained to me, 9-ball to him is like playing tic-tac-toe. Its too short, anyone can win. Still wishing I could play 9-ball as well as tic-tac-toe.

At the 14.1 World Championship, it was round robin format. How about changing the semi-final format in single or double elimination to round robin?

So your friend occasionally loses tic tac toe? Can I play him some?

cyrex
05-30-2011, 10:43 PM
I think full rack rotation will be good for the future.
Or screw it, and just go straight to 25 ball rotation!
Maybe even make it a full contact team sport and call it RollerBall!

http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x197/sku1k/25ball.jpg

TheNewSharkster
05-31-2011, 09:29 AM
I say we cut to the chase and do 15ball

Winston846
05-31-2011, 09:43 AM

In all seriousness, they should go back to 14.1 straight pool.

TAP TAP TAP. No one has cracked the secret to 14.1 yet.

macguy
05-31-2011, 10:05 AM
ok guys since alot of the top players have figure out the 10ball break,now some r starting to put games together.as in scott frost ran a 5 on appleton,and it just seems that the top players are starting to run out in 10ball as they once did in 9ball,now do you guys ever think that 10ball will get easy for the pros and then just maybe they will start up a new game as in 12ball or 11ball or something different!

Who says the game has to be made impossible for it to be challenging and watchable. 10 ball is pretty much perfect. The break is a bit tougher that one more ball creates a little more congestion but the game can still be played at a level that is exciting to the audience. I doubt if I was still promoting tournaments again I would do anything but 10 ball. I would phase out 9 ball, at least at the professional level, all together. If you want to make the game more challenging just add a neutral ball or two to the table. They don't have to be part of the original rack just spotted on the table somewhere out of the way of the break. They would create added problems to running out and the difficulty can be adjusted with the number of neutral balls you add. These balls may not be shot in they are just there to be in the way. I guess you could make a rule they can be used for combination's but not shot in. There are interesting things you can do to the game without changing the essence of it. I played a game in Denmark where they placed little pins on the table and I forget the rules but you had different ways of scoring using the pins. That is the great thing about pool; unlike Golf of tennis or bowling you can play all kinds of games using the same skills.

Eric.
05-31-2011, 10:09 AM
Lemme know when they are playing 16 ball.

Eric

Chicagoplayer
10-17-2012, 10:37 AM
I'm hoping in about 5 to 10 years we'll all be playing 15-ball rotation on 10 footer.

that'd be the shizzz :grin:

desi2960
10-17-2012, 10:52 AM
regular pool balls on a 6 by 12 snooker table covered with billiard cloth, will slow down a few short stops

Brandon79ta
10-17-2012, 11:08 AM
Rotation or 14.1 on 9 footers would do the trick. Me I'd rather see 14.1 instead of a rotation game of any kind.

I can't see changing the table size any time soon since very few rooms in the country have 10 ft tables right now. Most pool rooms are lucky to keep the doors open much less buy new tables.

spindoctor9
10-17-2012, 11:23 AM
I would like to see 10 ball on a 9' with APA scoring (watch the clash of the titans tournament on youtube if you're unfamiliar), with the option to shoot or give it back when your opponent misses. Race to 150 points for the top players. I think the better player will come out ahead more often, as there is little luck involved.

sfleinen
10-17-2012, 11:25 AM
Lemme know when they are playing 16 ball.

Eric

If you play pea pill with all 15 balls, and you draw the pea numbered "16" (the cue ball) -- you definitely are playing 16-ball. ;)

-Sean

Maniac
10-17-2012, 01:03 PM
TAP TAP TAP. No one has cracked the secret to 14.1 yet.

A 526-ball run doesn't qualify???

Maniac (geez, they sure are settin' that pole awful high :sorry:)

CreeDo
10-17-2012, 01:11 PM
I would like to see 10 ball on a 9' with APA scoring (watch the clash of the titans tournament on youtube if you're unfamiliar), with the option to shoot or give it back when your opponent misses. Race to 150 points for the top players. I think the better player will come out ahead more often, as there is little luck involved.

That's a fairly different idea. I like it better than 13 ball on a 13 footer anyway.

APA's 9b scoring is unpopular here because a player can dog the money ball but still win the rack. I guess nobody wants to see the guy who dogged it come out on top. But crediting a player for all his other good shots always made sense to me.

I'd just say... if you want to remove a little more luck, make it call pocket.

Maniac
10-17-2012, 01:13 PM
I think full rack rotation will be good for the future.
Or screw it, and just go straight to 25 ball rotation!
Maybe even make it a full contact team sport and call it RollerBall!

http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x197/sku1k/25ball.jpg

I like the looks of this. Get a player on each end of the table. Put the 25-ball rack in the center of the table. One solid pink cueball, one solid tan cueball. Players must only use their specified cueball. At the end of a countdown, let them break simultaneously. Have it where whoever makes the last ball on the table wins. Can you imagine the drama and suspense this game would produce. The possibilities on defense are endless. I can see that when there are still two or three balls left on the table how the "wheels would turn" in each players head trying to figure out how they are going to get the last shot. Have a timed game so that if it's not over in a certain amount of time (say 5 minutes), then they both are given a loss. :grin:

Maniac

Cornerman
10-17-2012, 01:46 PM

The question is straightforward enough, but I think people need to keep everything in the right perspective. The game of 10-ball is a relatively old game and has been played now for decades and decades with professional tournaments and gambling since... the 60's or 70's.

Some answers (tongue firmly planted or not) read as if 10-ball is a fairly new experiment that we're ready to hurdle and add the next ball.

The game of 10-ball as THE professional tournament game has been pushed for so long that for many of us (especially Joe Tucker), we're relishing this moment of our sport's history. 10-ball in mainstream was a long time coming. I'm glad it's here.

But, on the other hand, I'm very glad you all believe it's mastered already.

Freddie <~~~ no master

Yukon Ed
10-17-2012, 04:34 PM
Don't worry about 11, 12, or 15 ball - Bonus Ball is coming. :eek:

Playin4Dinner
10-18-2012, 12:14 AM
Not sure how this got pulled up from May but I just made a thread for 12-ball ghost in response to best game to practice..... Check it out sometime, tx...

http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=292444

sjm
10-18-2012, 01:25 AM
I don't see why. Make the tables tougher. The toughest pool table I ever played on was a gold crown IV with 3 7/8" corner pockets. Not only that, the rails themselves were shimmed a quarter inch in towards the bed of the table. That makes it quite a bit tougher, believe me. :)

Sort of. I actually don't think nine ball was ever broken, the pockets were just too loose. Tighten the pockets and go back to nine ball. I'll add to that that the pockets used in the major championships should be ever tighte than in other tournaments.

Still, I think we're on the same page here. The main effect of the switch to ten ball is that the racks take longer, which doesn't work for this fan of the game.

seven_7days
10-18-2012, 05:27 AM
Is the rim getting any higher in the NBA?

Maniac
10-18-2012, 06:40 AM
Is the rim getting any higher in the NBA?

No, but some time ago (15-20 years maybe?) they did change the size of the paint area under the basket so that all these incoming seven-foot + players couldn't camp out around the lane and throw down dunks all the game long :thumbup2:.

Maniac (equipment DOES change in all sports eventually)