PDA

View Full Version : Addressing Mod Issues in Chat Rooms

Fast Lenny
05-31-2011, 12:35 PM
Well I have received some complaints about mods in my chat. A mod is a volunteer who keeps order in the chat rooms, if someone is being negative like bashing players or other people in the chat then they are warned and removed.

I know there has been an issue with one person mainly making a mess in the chat rooms and he goes by the handle of pocketbilliards among others. I will pay well to know whom this person is as they are the cause for many chat issues on my stream and others, maybe its really that Kent guy. This person will make a name similar to regular people in the chat and just add an extra letter or something to that effect and will spew out some garbage and then get banned. The problem is when the real user comes on or is already there the mods will ban the real person who causes no trouble. My apologies to those who that has happened to but its something beyond my control.

One thing that will change is that mods will not use the little power of being able to ban, kick or timeout someone for personal vendettas or problems they might have from here or other chat rooms. I do appreciate the mods and the help they provide because during many streams I do I am also playing and I am not always there to keep an eye on things.

As one person remarked to me there are many streams out there so enjoy them and if you had a bad experience because of a mod being abusive in the chat or you were banned because someone made a name close to yours and the mods did not see the differences between the two names my apologies. What I am doing is a FREE stream and what the mods are doing as volunteers is also FREE. Thanks for those who support the live feeds and for people causing trouble on there, you are a moron and need to get a life!!! :wink:

P.S. If you have any suggestions or complaints just list them here, I will respond and address them, thanks again.

Nostroke
05-31-2011, 12:42 PM
cant they double check the banee name with the IP of the original bad actor? Other than that just quickly educate your guys on '0' 'O' '1' 'l' periods, spaces etc. Gotta be a site out there that can help. Good luck

damn creeps.

Fast Lenny
05-31-2011, 12:47 PM
cant they double check the banee name with the IP of the original bad actor? Other than that just quickly educate your guys on '0' 'O' '1' 'l' periods, spaces etc. Gotta be a site out there that can help. Good luck

damn creeps.

The problem is that we might ban the same guy 10 times in one day, he might keep coming back making new names up kind of like a special person on here does. The IP address changes probably because of some computer knowledge or the provider they are using. I know that the mods sometimes do get itchy with the trigger finger and sometimes ban the wrong person because of the 1 off letter or number in the name, I guess the mods will have to look harder at the name they are banning. I personally ban the person making an obscene statement by clicking there name right next to the statement as opposed to in the chat sidebar where everyone is listed because if they hit and run then you might end up banning the person with a similar username.

richiebalto
05-31-2011, 12:48 PM

damn creeps.

Theres always someone out there trying to ruin the fun for someone else!

Nostroke
05-31-2011, 12:54 PM
The problem is that we might ban the same guy 10 times in one day, he might keep coming back making new names up kind of like a special person on here does. The IP address changes probably because of some computer knowledge or the provider they are using. I know that the mods sometimes do get itchy with the trigger finger and sometimes ban the wrong person because of the 1 off letter or number in the name, I guess the mods will have to look harder at the name they are banning. I personally ban the person making an obscene statement by clicking there name right next to the statement as opposed to in the chat sidebar where everyone is listed because if they hit and run then you might end up banning the person with a similar username.

Well there u go- All bans done in this manner whenever doable.

spanky79
05-31-2011, 03:08 PM

As many of you know Lenny has me as a Mod on his streams, this is also the way I kick, ban, people.
When I ban someone it is not because I don't like them, it is because either they say something that gets them kicked or I have deleted there post and asked them to stop what they are doing and they refuse.

There are a few people I would like to kick every time I see them but I don't until they give me a reason. Some people have a bad day or are just passionate about a topic and they say something they shouldn't.

I am guilty of this myself and try not to say things that are mean or will get everyone worked up.

So if you say something and it gets deleted don't take it personal, at least in my case I am just trying to help keep the chat from blowing up.

Hungarian
05-31-2011, 03:20 PM
Last stream I watched was the US Open 10 Ball where Viffer was the Super Mod. Then Viff would Mod up like 5 people. Sometimes he would make me a Mod. Then he would put everyone on a time out. Then 20 minutes later we would all be Mods again. Then he would time out everyone. It was great fun. Viffer puts you on a time out if you say something that he doesn't understand or doesn't like. But then he makes you a Mod again in like 20 minutes. Mikey is a pretty good Mod and so is Dorabelle. I would also like to say that Spanky is one of the best Mods I have come across.

I have never been banned (by mistake or on purpose). I can tell you it would piss me off to get banned without just cause. But it is free to chat. Mods can't ban you from PPV.

Fast Lenny
06-01-2011, 03:04 PM
I just want to say the issues on my chat are being handled, tread lightly in the chat room if you plan on being a jerk because if I ban you it will most likely be forever. :wink:

rossaroni
06-01-2011, 03:15 PM
if you plan on being a jerk because if I ban you it will most likely be forever. :wink:

Well, there goes my plans. ;)

Seriously, why does it always seem to be the same guys always getting in arguements, getting banned, etc.?

It reminds me of a person I know who got booted out of a certain person's tournaments and league. They even used to play on the same team. He is also kicked out of his local poolroom that he grew up in. I mentioned that no matter if he is right it wrong(don't want to tell people like him that they are wrong), maybe it is not everyone else....maybe it is the way you decide to deal with situations.

danquixote
06-01-2011, 03:21 PM
I just want to say the issues on my chat are being handled, tread lightly in the chat room if you plan on being a jerk because if I ban you it will most likely be forever. :wink:

There ya go....good on ya! If folks can't put their big boy pants on and play well with others, then they should be forever banned from ruining the enjoyment of others. Never understood the internet bully. Fighting in chat rooms is childish and moronic.....Dan

"CaliRed".
06-01-2011, 06:04 PM
There ya go....good on ya! If folks can't put their big boy pants on and play well with others, then they should be forever banned from ruining the enjoyment of others. Never understood the internet bully. Fighting in chat rooms is childish and moronic.....Dan

you got that right brother! Streamtards...apparently it's their whole life and exposes why they have social issues in the first place.

How hard is it really, to just talk? I talk as if I was standing in front of the people at the time I'm typing to them. If everyone else used that approach, I think there wouldn't be much of this childish nonsense involving the same people.

UrackmIcrackm
06-01-2011, 07:03 PM
Last stream I watched was the US Open 10 Ball where Viffer was the Super Mod. Then Viff would Mod up like 5 people. Sometimes he would make me a Mod. Then he would put everyone on a time out. Then 20 minutes later we would all be Mods again. Then he would time out everyone. It was great fun. Viffer puts you on a time out if you say something that he doesn't understand or doesn't like. But then he makes you a Mod again in like 20 minutes.

I guess I'm just too old but nothing about this sounds like fun. Just out of curiosity, when you were having so much chat fun during the US Open stream, did you happen to catch any pool being played on the stream? :confused:

Thank goodness for the full screen option.

justnum
06-01-2011, 07:10 PM
A pre-registration to chat on the free live stream is easy to implement.

If you've been doing this for awhile you probably get regulars and some unknowns.

The pre-registration helps filter out the trolls and rewards the nice regulars.

You might be able to limit newbies through word count in a single message and frequency of post.

Once they establish they are clean posters, up the word count and frequency limit.

TO RECAP:
limit the character count of a message by new chatters
increase the wait time between posts by new chatters
THE REWARD SYSTEM WORKS IN FAVOR OF HEALTHY CHATTERS
by giving them larger character counts
and shorter wait times between posts.

AlinEdm
06-01-2011, 07:39 PM
Since your One Pocket stream was the first that held my attention I’d like to offer my newbie perspective.

For most of the night I was on full screen but checked out the chat once the announcer made mention of the problems there. Neither clever or amusing, they were the standard gay references that I did not want to see on my screen. I noticed they scrolled away so my suggestion would be that the other viewers should flood the chat with non-aggressive responses, so as not to encourage others, and let the flames pass into history while the mods deal with the offender once and for all.

I think though there is a place for some needling in the chat room. I find it entertaining to “overhear” a player being called out, especially if it is done with some wit. It would be a shame if users were reduced to writing “so you ride a bike” after the announcer mentions he rode his bike to the tournament.

Thanks for being a provider,
Allan

spanky79
06-01-2011, 08:52 PM
Actually, the chat and PPV are separate.
The PPV is just the live stream, the chat is the chat and mods can still ban people.

bboxgrinder
06-02-2011, 07:52 AM
A pre-registration to chat on the free live stream is easy to implement.

If you've been doing this for awhile you probably get regulars and some unknowns.

The pre-registration helps filter out the trolls and rewards the nice regulars.

You might be able to limit newbies through word count in a single message and frequency of post.

Once they establish they are clean posters, up the word count and frequency limit.

TO RECAP:
limit the character count of a message by new chatters
increase the wait time between posts by new chatters
THE REWARD SYSTEM WORKS IN FAVOR OF HEALTHY CHATTERS
by giving them larger character counts
and shorter wait times between posts.

I'm just curious with this. How exactly are you going to that, with the chat applett itself or a special program? That sounds like quite an extravagent code.

Winston846
06-02-2011, 08:07 AM

If the person is smart enough to use a public proxy server or other service that provides IP masquerading (anonymous internet surfing), then it's impossible to ban him by IP address.

But, IMHO, anyone with that kind of knowledge that would use it just to troll forums and chat rooms can't have all that much going on in their lives. :p

bboxgrinder
06-02-2011, 08:21 AM
That is NOT correct Winston. The proxy IP masks the real IP but the proxy IP also has an address when logging in that gets banned. Most proxy servers are static which means they do not change, and even the ones that do have a root. Ban the proxy IP and it cannot log in. The proxy IP works identical to normal IP when logging onto the server. It is only annonomous surfing as it hides the true IP behind it. Works fine for browser surfing but Ustreams chat servers are actually not browser based though 99.9% of the users log in via browser.

Bigtruck
06-02-2011, 08:31 AM
I'm just curious with this. How exactly are you going to that, with the chat applett itself or a special program? That sounds like quite an extravagent code.

Yes, Im curious as well.

Ray

Winston846
06-02-2011, 08:42 AM
That is NOT correct Winston. The proxy IP masks the real IP but the proxy IP also has an address when logging in that gets banned. Most proxy servers are static which means they do not change, and even the ones that do have a root. Ban the proxy IP and it cannot log in. The proxy IP works identical to normal IP when logging onto the server. It is only annonomous surfing as it hides the true IP behind it. Works fine for browser surfing but Ustreams chat servers are actually not browser based though 99.9% of the users log in via browser.

I know that. I think I just didn't word it properly - or completely. What I should have said was that it was impossible to ban the single user without banning the ENTIRE proxy server, which would ban other users using that service as well. What I said was correct from the standpoint that it is impossible to ban a SINGLE USER going through a proxy server based on their IP address.

I've been out of it for a few years and am probably a little behind on the times, but unless things have changed, the chat is probably UDP based, and UDP can still be proxied.

bboxgrinder
06-02-2011, 08:43 AM
Yes, Im curious as well.

Ray

I already know the answer Ray, I am just curious as to how it was going to be done considering that if even possible to do via java chat would need to be coded in by Ustream itself lol. It would be a word or letter count code bypassing certain usernames but in the end it would actually hinder the chat as it would drive away newbies looking to talk.

Kind of accomplishes the same thing as the remove text option, that actually makes the text show twice, the 2nd time by the mod removing it.

Basically Ustream's chat applett s**** to say the least.

bboxgrinder
06-02-2011, 08:50 AM
I know that. I think I just didn't word it properly - or completely. What I should have said was that it was impossible to ban the single user without banning the ENTIRE proxy server, which would ban other users using that service as well. What I said was correct from the standpoint that it is impossible to ban a SINGLE USER going through a proxy server based on their IP address.

I've been out of it for a few years and am probably a little behind on the times, but unless things have changed, the chat is probably UDP based, and UDP can still be proxied.

You are correct there. I wasn't trying to be a wise a**, I have seen so many ideas and not meaning in this thread but over the time I've been on streams from people who simply just do not have a clue it gets a chuckle at times. It's not UDP based but you are correct there as well in both accounts on UDP being able to be proxied and if the service is banned it bans others using it too. However for those ones using proxies, the server itself masks a portion of the ip so I would say drive them off the proxies or they don't get in. Normal users on ustream can't see their ip via anyway so they in all reality have no reason to use proxies.

justnum
06-02-2011, 09:08 AM

Sounds like I'm chatting with app users. The discussion would be better had with the coders over at the streaming site.

The procedural concept is to use the buffer to filter the messages as well as determine wait times between posts.

Like on AZ there is a character limit count. The difference with a streaming service is the buffer is almost non-existent because people want it streaming, there is a tradeoff. I say almost non-existent because the data still travels from end user to server and then back out for display via the server.

Thinking about getting things done is important, but with programming testing out code is essential.

Besides the IP thing what other alternatives were you considering?

I like the buffer idea because it doesn't require maintenance. IP banning requires maintenance.

Winston846
06-02-2011, 09:09 AM
You are correct there. I wasn't trying to be a wise a**, I have seen so many ideas and not meaning in this thread but over the time I've been on streams from people who simply just do not have a clue it gets a chuckle at times. It's not UDP based but you are correct there as well in both accounts on UDP being able to be proxied and if the service is banned it bans others using it too. However for those ones using proxies, the server itself masks a portion of the ip so I would say drive them off the proxies or they don't get in. Normal users on ustream can't see their ip via anyway so they in all reality have no reason to use proxies.

No offense taken. ;) Just trying to pitch in and help.

I agree with driving the users off the proxies. That's about the only way. IMHO, you're only using a proxy if you have something to hide. It wouldn't be too difficult to write a script to do a reverse lookup on the IP address, and if it traces back to a proxy, alert the user, etc.

--Winston846 <-- Former MCSE (NT4 days) until I stopped paying Microsoft for that "privilege". Just a code monkey nowadays and haven't kept up on the networking end of it. :sorry:

bboxgrinder
06-02-2011, 09:19 AM
No offense taken. ;) Just trying to pitch in and help.

I agree with driving the users off the proxies. That's about the only way. IMHO, you're only using a proxy if you have something to hide. It wouldn't be too difficult to write a script to do a reverse lookup on the IP address, and if it traces back to a proxy, alert the user, etc.

--Winston846 <-- Former MCSE (NT4 days) until I stopped paying Microsoft for that "privilege". Just a code monkey nowadays and haven't kept up on the networking end of it. :sorry:

I knew you wasn't the average kid on the block with your 1st post wording. ;) I hear you loud and clear about how things have and are changing. Quite an amazing scenario we will be seeing with computers and the net in times to come for sure. Thanks for your polite & informative reply Winston. I looked at my text after I wrote the response to you 1st and thought that could look a bit rude. It don't take much for text to get misunderstood on here.

bboxgrinder
06-02-2011, 09:29 AM
Sounds like I'm chatting with app users. The discussion would be better had with the coders over at the streaming site.

The procedural concept is to use the buffer to filter the messages as well as determine wait times between posts.

Like on AZ there is a character limit count. The difference with a streaming service is the buffer is almost non-existent because people want it streaming, there is a tradeoff. I say almost non-existent because the data still travels from end user to server and then back out for display via the server.

Thinking about getting things done is important, but with programming testing out code is essential.

Besides the IP thing what other alternatives were you considering?

I like the buffer idea because it doesn't require maintenance. IP banning requires maintenance.

There is a buffer like you are talking about. BUT the buffer on Ustream's chat has no tie in with the actual stream. The way ustream is set up the chat & the stream itself are two separate entities with a couple codes relaying from the chat side to the ustream registration, basic control.

As for consideration on what to do I wouldn't consider anything but a ban & track which involves no maintanence but one click & addition to a sh** list with the proper program. Which I am not talking about the actual ustream app itself which I doubt you could get them to code anything into anyway. For the 1,000's of users that log in there unfortunatly there are but a few people that have to try & ruin it for others. I don't think Ustream wants to do any more work then necessary based on the few vs the majority, if I worded that right lol.

justnum
06-02-2011, 09:33 AM
There is a buffer like you are talking about. BUT the buffer on Ustream's chat has no tie in with the actual stream. The way ustream is set up the chat & the stream itself are two separate entities with a couple codes relaying from the chat side to the ustream registration, basic control.

As for consideration on what to do I wouldn't consider anything but a ban & track which involves no maintanence but one click & addition to a sh** list with the proper program. Which I am not talking about the actual ustream app itself which I doubt you could get them to code anything into anyway. For the 1,000's of users that log in there unfortunatly there are but a few people that have to try & ruin it for others. I don't think Ustream wants to do any more work then necessary based on the few vs the majority, if I worded that right lol.

If the app gets reworked (that is a big if, some people are touchy with their code, especially if its proprietary) but the filter doesn't require anyone to click at all, nobody has to maintain banning people. The filter is a uniform policy and doesn't require maintenance.

It is like watching a child learn to talk with a few words and then learn sentences. The concept for the buffer filter is the same. But since AZ is a free site it uses proprietary software (vbulletin), and then we enter the coders realm of mods. Same goes for the people that foot the bill for ustream.

The problem with maintenance and someone having to click is people make mistakes. Mistakes don't happen often but when they do a lot of people get upset. My policy is fewer mistakes are better which is why I prefer no or low maintenance apps.

Best suggestion is to tell the site owners to develop that feature of filtering the chats. With programming there is always a way but the people that put the service out there don't know whether or not they should develop it.

pwd72s
06-02-2011, 09:47 AM
Lenny...I figure you'll do the right thing. Gotta confess, haven't been visiting the streams like I used to. "Stuff" happening now. I want my boring retirement life back. Maybe one of these days...

bboxgrinder
06-02-2011, 10:34 AM
If the app gets reworked (that is a big if, some people are touchy with their code, especially if its proprietary) but the filter doesn't require anyone to click at all, nobody has to maintain banning people. The filter is a uniform policy and doesn't require maintenance.

It is like watching a child learn to talk with a few words and then learn sentences. The concept for the buffer filter is the same. But since AZ is a free site it uses proprietary software (vbulletin), and then we enter the coders realm of mods. Same goes for the people that foot the bill for ustream.

The problem with maintenance and someone having to click is people make mistakes. Mistakes don't happen often but when they do a lot of people get upset. My policy is fewer mistakes are better which is why I prefer no or low maintenance apps.

Best suggestion is to tell the site owners to develop that feature of filtering the chats. With programming there is always a way but the people that put the service out there don't know whether or not they should develop it.

Interesting thoughts, and not a bad idea but the chat side is not done by apps. ;)

justnum
06-02-2011, 06:18 PM
Interesting thoughts, and not a bad idea but the chat side is not done by apps. ;)

But the problem will be solved by someone with programming skills. And procedural solutions are outlines for how to solve problems are not the implementation of solving it.

Like how someone can know how to aim on a shot but not understand the mechanics of nerves for how to follow through when aiming a shot.

mikeyfrost
06-02-2011, 06:21 PM
I dont give a **** what anyone says i'm a fantastic mod

justnum
06-02-2011, 06:22 PM
I dont give a **** what anyone says i'm a fantastic mod

Definitely we are talking about making sure you have to tools to be an even better mod.

So instead of them blaming you they blame the policies of the chatroom or streamchat or whatever.

mikeyfrost
06-02-2011, 06:28 PM
When you swing the hammer you only need one tool.....a mouse!

justnum
06-02-2011, 07:34 PM

I will not be disrespected by you or anyone on this forum with slang or euphemisms.

My response is even using a hammer requires knowing how to identify one and have the strength to yield it. Until you have ended that quest you will be without the aid of such a mighty tool.

Hungarian
06-02-2011, 07:41 PM
I guess I'm just too old but nothing about this sounds like fun. Just out of curiosity, when you were having so much chat fun during the US Open stream, did you happen to catch any pool being played on the stream? :confused:

Thank goodness for the full screen option.

Urackm,

1.) I have more than one screen.

2.) Most heavy chatting is done before matches start with light to moderate chat during the match.

Eg..Wow, great shot! Or, Ship my Ribeyes, etc.

If you are in the chat room I will chat less as not to annoy you.

And yes, Mikey, you are a good Mod

Good day to all...

UrackmIcrackm
06-03-2011, 08:16 AM

I will not be disrespected by you or anyone on this forum with slang or euphemisms.

My response is even using a hammer requires knowing how to identify one and have the strength to yield it. Until you have ended that quest you will be without the aid of such a mighty tool.

Did anyone else see that plane fly right over his head? :D

bboxgrinder
06-03-2011, 10:07 AM

HaHaHa, that should pretty much sum it up. That is a funny one Mikey, but I think justnum didn't like your solution.