PDA

View Full Version : Squirt is my best friend

nrhoades
05-31-2011, 09:53 PM
I've been playing pool for 3 years, mostly practicing for hours by myself and learning through trial and error, and taking others occasional advice.

I took one 6 hour lesson from Joe Tucker. Three days later, I can now pretty much spin the cue to where ever I want it, and my stroke has improved drastically. I can now focus on position.

I consider myself pretty smart (science/engineering field), and I was trained to solve problems and figure things out...

However...

To all beginners (myself included); take a lesson from a pro. Drop the $300. It'll make this game so much more fun. Don't "re-invent the wheel" and experiment your way into proper fundamentals. You'll eventually figure it out by yourself, but that is quite a lot of research. I'd rather spend the precious little table time I have making the cue ball dance than spend it cursing and modifying.

The squirt angle equation is now my new avatar.

donuteric
05-31-2011, 10:21 PM
I agree. Sometimes though, re-inventing the wheel isn't necessarily a bad thing. :)

LAlouie
05-31-2011, 10:52 PM
wahhh???,,,you like to squirt?

pooltchr
06-01-2011, 05:38 AM
nrhoades....good post and good advice. A qualified instructor will absolutely shorten the learning curve. And not just for beginners. I spent about an hour last night with an APA 7, and in that time was able to help him with some fundamental problems that were holding him back. When we made some very simple changes, he was amazed at the immediate improvement he saw.

you are never too old, or too good, to learn something new......if you're willing!

Steve

Tramp Steamer
06-01-2011, 05:48 AM
Right after I was born my Dad bougt me a baby shirt that said: "Daddy's Little Squirt" on the front. My Mother bought me one that read: "I Tore My Mommy A New One".
Have I told this story before? :)

Blue Hog ridr
06-01-2011, 06:08 AM
Big Head Mike!

GoldCrown
06-01-2011, 06:29 AM
Definitely take lessons from a qualified instructor. Most people I play with practice the same bad habits over and over and wonder why they can't improve.
I took a 2 hour lesson years ago...it changed my game. My runs doubled, my shot making improved. My wins increased. I play good enough to have fun and look forward to more lessons this Summer. Good thread. Thanks.

SpiderWebComm
06-01-2011, 06:51 AM
I couldn't plug Joe Tucker enough. I drove 6 hours and spent an afternoon with him as well. That was a few years ago and I'm still improving from that lesson.

I need to schedule a follow-up, for sure.

Dave

LAMas
06-01-2011, 06:52 AM
Right after I was born my Dad bougt me a baby shirt that said: "Daddy's Little Squirt" on the front. My Mother bought me one that read: "I Tore My Mommy A New One".
Have I told this story before? :)

Did you breach this subject before?:wink:

nrhoades
06-01-2011, 09:57 AM
wahhh???,,,you like to squirt?

If you take a lesson from Joe you'll know what I mean.

Roadking
06-01-2011, 07:03 PM
I've never taken a lesson from Joe but I can say his videos kick ass!!!
He's a great teacher(He makes learning fun & thats what I think makes a great teacher)
Just because someone has a degree or certificate doesn't make them a good teacher in my mind.