PDA

View Full Version : Slipstrokes

Chi2dxa
06-01-2011, 08:48 AM
Are there any videos of Cornbread Reds Slipstroke? I have 2 videos of Red, one playing Chicago Bugs and another playing Jose but neither shows a good shot of Red's stroke. Was his Slipstroke as nice as Wayne Norcross http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=4837662076022711943#? Wayne's is the best video that I have seen showing a Slipstroke in action. Just wondering. Since I have changed to a Slipstroke my accurace has gone up tremendously and confidence in my shot making also. I am looking for players who use this stroke most of the time.

Thanks
Just wondering

randyg
06-01-2011, 09:31 AM
"Cowboy Jimmy Moore"
randyg

ShootingArts
06-01-2011, 10:00 AM
Are there any videos of Cornbread Reds Slipstroke? I have 2 videos of Red, one playing Chicago Bugs and another playing Jose but neither shows a good shot of Red's stroke. Was his Slipstroke as nice as Wayne Norcross http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=4837662076022711943#? Wayne's is the best video that I have seen showing a Slipstroke in action. Just wondering. Since I have changed to a Slipstroke my accurace has gone up tremendously and confidence in my shot making also. I am looking for players who use this stroke most of the time.

Thanks
Just wondering

Wayne has a beautiful stroke but he is demonstrating a handful of strokes when he shoots. Sometimes he uses a slip stroke and sometimes a slip-stroke-slip. It is quite possible to stroke-slip without using a slip stroke. Wayne's cue is an extension of his body, almost a part of his body, and it is obvious that he controls it like most of us control an arm or leg. There was another few second video I saw a few years ago. Not very helpful as I have forgotten who was in it or where I got it from but the stroke looked like slight of hand magic. I watched that few seconds of video dozens of times. I suspect it takes years to master the stroke to that degree but it would be worth it just to possess the art and artistry.

Glad to see another slipstroker on the forum. I haven't mastered it by a long shot but I find it a useful tool in my arsenal. BlackJack is another admirer of the slipstroke and it's users, you might get useful information from him.

Hu

Chi2dxa
06-01-2011, 12:45 PM
Thanks for the information. In studing Wayne I to have use both Slipstroke and Strokeslip while shooting. Slipstroke comes in real handy when shooting off the rails, It allows me to stay on target and gives me a longer follow thru.

itsfroze
06-01-2011, 12:47 PM

Thanks
Just wondering

If you can find a video of Cicero Murphy he had a great slip stroke.

Rickw
06-01-2011, 12:47 PM
Wayne has a beautiful stroke but he is demonstrating a handful of strokes when he shoots. Sometimes he uses a slip stroke and sometimes a slip-stroke-slip. It is quite possible to stroke-slip without using a slip stroke. Wayne's cue is an extension of his body, almost a part of his body, and it is obvious that he controls it like most of us control an arm or leg. There was another few second video I saw a few years ago. Not very helpful as I have forgotten who was in it or where I got it from but the stroke looked like slight of hand magic. I watched that few seconds of video dozens of times. I suspect it takes years to master the stroke to that degree but it would be worth it just to possess the art and artistry.

Glad to see another slipstroker on the forum. I haven't mastered it by a long shot but I find it a useful tool in my arsenal. BlackJack is another admirer of the slipstroke and it's users, you might get useful information from him.

Hu

I use the slip occasionally as well. My problem with it is the cue ball control. Accuracy is usually pretty good. The other problem I have sometimes with it is that I don't always get the stroke control, i.e., the speed with which to hit the ball. I guess that goes back to the cue ball control issue too.

I have to say, though, I really enjoy using it. I have more fun with the game when I'm using it. However, when I really want the control, I minimize it naturally. When I'm really trying to win a game, I tend to play most of my shots without it because I'm working more on control.

Rickw
06-01-2011, 12:50 PM

Thanks
Just wondering

I took a lesson from Buddy Hall and I was using the slip stroke back then and he told me to lose it. Of course I wasn't going to argue with my idol!

I have heard too that there are different versions of the slip stroke. What you show in your video is what I used to use. Another method of slip stroke is sliding your hand back and forth on the cue and when you shoot, you grip the cue at that moment. I can't remember who it was that did that but he was one of the greats.

sfleinen
06-01-2011, 01:30 PM
I use the slip occasionally as well. My problem with it is the cue ball control. Accuracy is usually pretty good. The other problem I have sometimes with it is that I don't always get the stroke control, i.e., the speed with which to hit the ball. I guess that goes back to the cue ball control issue too.

I have to say, though, I really enjoy using it. I have more fun with the game when I'm using it. However, when I really want the control, I minimize it naturally. When I'm really trying to win a game, I tend to play most of my shots without it because I'm working more on control.

I concur with Rickw on all counts. I used to be a practitioner of the slip-stroke big-time, years ago, when I was playing only pool. In fact, I wrote a descriptive "HOW-TO" procedure to develop and practice the slip-stroke, in this AZB thread:

http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?p=2164385#post2164385

But when I started playing snooker, I had to abandon the slip-stroke because of two reasons:

A slip-stroke is very, very difficult to execute with the wrapless snooker cues (you need an Irish Linen wrap to prevent the natural tackiness of your skin from sticking to the cue's surface). In fact, try to find a "wrapped" snooker cue -- that is, a snooker cue that uses any kind of wrap material in the handle area. You won't find them, because they don't exist (or, if you do, they're "freaks of nature" and one-off circus products designed more for amusement than actual snooker play).

A slip-stroke is inherently not accurate enough to play snooker. Put it this way -- during the time your hand is slipping and regripping, you've lost control of the cue. Even 1 or 2 millimeters of "yaw" introduced by the slip-and-regrip is enough to throw the shot off in snooker, especially the long-distance "come with it" shots that demand the utmost in accuracy. You won't find *any* good snooker players -- the most precise ball pocketers in any cue sport -- using the slip-stroke. And there's a reason for that -- the distances and tolerances in snooker are simply that much greater (exponentially so) than in pool.

As an interesting sidenote, Willie Mosconi often used a slip-stroke when he was in the rhythm of running balls. Granted, it was a gentle slip-stroke, maybe about 2 inches max -- not as exaggerated as, say, Wayne Norcross, Cicero Murphy, or Cowboy Jimmy Moore -- but it's obvious nonetheless, as you can see in this video:

http://vimeo.com/4957545
(Watch Willie's grip-hand closely on every shot where his grip-hand is visible. There it is, in all its glory -- a slip-stroke!)

Now the pocket dimensions in Willie's time are not what they are today. And that table in the video is a 4'x8' table as well. Do I think Willie would be able to adapt to today's tighter tolerances on pool tables? I most certainly do, and Willie had both the slip-stroke and regular stroke in his arsenal to do so.

Hope this is helpful,
-Sean

Chi2dxa
06-01-2011, 03:18 PM
My Mike Gulyassy has the perfect wrap for my stroke.
Thanks for the video it was a big help.