PDA

View Full Version : Chalk, Chalk, and More Chalk what is all the hype?

CocoboloCowboy
06-01-2011, 04:25 PM
So the question is what is your personal favorite brand, and color of Pool Chalk and WHY?

I was looking at the Pool Supplier Web-site, and found many brand of Pool Chalk being offered for sale today.

The list is not long, but you have Master Chalk in about 8 Colors, Silver Cup Chalk available in 24 Colors, National Brand in Green & Blue, Triangle in Blue, Green, and Red, Jack Daniel's Billiard Chalk available from Mueller's, Blue Diamond, and now the Rolls Royce of Chalk Kaumi from Japan @ $25.00/Cube

Last Wal-Mart Chalk made in China and sold by the exclusive Pool Boutique Wally World, at 6 Cubes for $.97 Cents:grin-loving:

Think you have those who tout Master with the American Flag, and Master without the American Flag, (PRE FLAG????) maybe the bad new is the Flag was put on ALL Master Brand Chalk, after 9-11, as the gentleman who own Tweeten Fibre CO. (Skip "Nemecek) wanted to make a Patriotic Statement I was told by him. Plus Skip told me the Master Formula is the SAME. PRE & Post Flag!:yeah:

Me I have tried about ever brand of Chalk, and keep going back to MASTER GREEN, as it works for me. I have some real old Master Green that is slightly DARKER in Color than the last 12 Pack of Green I bought in 2010. Think the old stuff is getting dried out in the Garage in the hot Arizona summer that reach 125 DEGREES in the Garage.

Now Kamui is very interesting, but a tad messy, and IMHO out of my budget at $25.0/CUBE!. Unless I hit Tonight Power BALL!

lukemindish
06-01-2011, 04:50 PM
Blue Diamond

measureman
06-01-2011, 05:14 PM
A good cube of Masters chalk that I find in the pool room or bar that gos in to my case. Good chalk and the price is right. :thumbup:

nrhoades
06-01-2011, 05:18 PM
Blue Masters chalk.

Do you chalk with your free hand or your cue hand?

brokenarrowjbe
06-01-2011, 05:24 PM
Blue diamond, chalk with cue hand,

MitchAlsup
06-01-2011, 05:25 PM
I use Masters Blue chalk. I can't really say I 'prefer' it because basically I don't/haven't use anything else (over about 35 years). I have tried some fo the Masters green and grey but did not like the change in play characteristics. I don't miscue often enough for a better chalk to change my game in any significant way.

I tend to get about 1.5 years of use out of a single chalk cube while using it about 3 hours per day 5 days a week. I keep one at home and one in my bag. When the paper covering wears off, some blue masking tape takes its place.

ctyhntr
06-01-2011, 05:33 PM
Masters, Blue. It works provided that you chalk up. I have used Blue Diamond and Pre-Flag, but you can't be the cost of Masters.

The one chalk I will stay away from is Silver Cup. I feel like I'm trying to use a hard piece of plastic, and doesn't stay on the tip.

Systim6
06-01-2011, 05:37 PM
Sidewalk Chalk, and I hold the butt still with my feet and use both hands to chalk. :D

richiebalto
06-01-2011, 10:00 PM
Blue masters!

spanky79
06-01-2011, 10:05 PM
A good cube of Masters chalk that I find in the pool room or bar that gos in to my case. Good chalk and the price is right. :thumbup:

stop stealing chalk, its not expensive to buy.

manwon
06-01-2011, 10:13 PM

Now I know why I am going through so much chalk in my pool room!!!:angry::D

Thanks I am going to start marking the stuff now, Measure man stay away because I will be watching now!!!!!:)

Actually if you ever happen by, I will give you a free piece of Pre-flag masters!!!!:D

Take Care

bearsafety
06-01-2011, 10:22 PM
stop stealing chalk, its not expensive to buy.

Agreed!!!!

peppersauce
06-01-2011, 10:33 PM

oldplayer
06-02-2011, 05:28 AM
"NIR" professional chalk, blue. about $3/cube including shipping. it seems to be more "stciky" than "masters".

pooljunkie4ever
06-02-2011, 05:32 AM
I have an order for Blue Diamond that i am getting soon. I was also always forgeting my chalk at the table, so I came up with these. If you need one, email me. :thumbup: Plus it's custom.

Blue Hog ridr
06-02-2011, 05:46 AM
A little doggy tag for your chalk.
Pretty cool.

GADawg
06-02-2011, 05:48 AM
Master blue. If you have to steal chalk, you are either too poor to play or a thief.

metallicane
06-02-2011, 05:52 AM
Not sure the big deal about the Kamui stuff, but at $25 a cube, you have to be Fatboy to play that stuff. I have a box of IPT chalk that I still use.

CallShotCowboy
06-02-2011, 07:24 AM
[SIZE="3"][FONT="Arial Narrow"]
Think you have those who tout Master with the American Flag, and Master without the American Flag, (PRE FLAG????) maybe the bad new is the Flag was put on ALL Master Brand Chalk, after 9-11, as the gentleman who own Tweeten Fibre CO. (Skip "Nemecek) wanted to make a Patriotic Statement I was told by him. Plus Skip told me the Master Formula is the SAME. PRE & Post Flag!:yeah:
]

So why do I see people hawk the Pre-Flag stuff for $150 a case when the new stuff goes for $30? Is it like wine, and only get's better with age, or is it the Dumbo effect and people think they can fly when they have that magic feather tucked in their trunk?

cigardave
06-02-2011, 07:38 AM
Blue Masters chalk.

Do you chalk with your free hand or your cue hand?

How can anyone chalk their tip properly with their cue hand?

Chalk should be brushed on... not screwed on.

Being right handed, I hold my cue with my left hand and brush the chalk on with my right hand.

Rocket354
06-02-2011, 11:24 AM
Master blue. If you have to steal chalk, you are either too poor to play or a thief.

I don't understand why people are so against someone grabbing a piece of chalk. Many people are regulars at certain places. If I take a cube from my regular place and use it, I'm not using any more chalk than if I were to just use what they give me every time I go play. But I do get the privilege of a nice, hand-picked, clean piece that is already in my chalk-holder, rather than having to sort through some riff-raff pieces every time I go play.

MightyCustomCue
06-02-2011, 11:46 AM

Being right handed, I hold my cue with my left hand and brush the chalk on with my right hand.

Agreed! Masters Blue for me too. How do you feel about Masters Tan? -because it doesn't stain the shaft as blue chalk does so it keeps the shaft "cleaner". Obv the only problem with that is it leaves tan marks on the table :D. Win some/lose some I guess:thumbup:

cuesblues
06-02-2011, 11:49 AM
I am back to believing that Master Chalk is the best
For some reason I though Blue Diamond was better, but after using a piece for a while I decided to go back to Master.
Also, I don't see a big advantage to Pre-flag Master after using both in the same games.
Balabushka chalk seems to coat better, but it's kind of messy so I don't use it.

In my opinion you can't beat a new piece of Master chalk.

evanlockhart
06-02-2011, 11:54 AM
I am back to believing that Master Chalk is the best
For some reason I though Blue Diamond was better, but after using a piece for a while I decided to go back to Master.

Any reason why? I bought a few cubes of Blue Diamond and have been using it the past few months

powerlineman80
06-02-2011, 12:30 PM
I use a Moori Soft and to me Silver Cup seems like a thicker type of chalk but I cant get it to hold on my tip. I HAVE to chalk up after every hit if I'm playing with it.

Master is what we use at my brothers and its the brand I prefer. Its not as thick and seems to stay longer on the tip. It takes a ton of shots to wear it off and miscue.

cuesblues
06-02-2011, 01:00 PM
Any reason why? I bought a few cubes of Blue Diamond and have been using it the past few months

Blue Diamond is terrific chalk, but the piece I was using seemed to harden up and after a while I didn't see an advantage over Master Chalk.
I have 2-unused pieces of Blue Diamond I will try to see if they are any better, but I have no problem in general with Blue Diamond.
Master just seems to work great, I have tons of it, and every room and bar I play at has Master chalk on the tables.
Master Chalk seems to be very good and it is inexpensive.

The bigger issue for me right now is what tip to use, super glue vs. epoxy, are 9-layer tips better, and should I switch to a 3 or 4 layered tip.
Now I am even questioning the ferrule material.
With chalk in the mix there are just too many variables.

This is the reason why I am down to 148-cues.
I need to standardize something, so it may as well be the chalk.
Don't listen to me, I can't even settle on which case to carry.

hapns
06-02-2011, 04:15 PM
Preflag Master blue only. The OLD kind with lead in it. I just got a piece of Blue Diamond, and I can't stand it. It's too powdery, and not sticky enough in my opinion.

GADawg
06-02-2011, 04:32 PM
Preflag Master blue only. The OLD kind with lead in it. I just got a piece of Blue Diamond, and I can't stand it. It's too powdery, and not sticky enough in my opinion.

Another urban myth

There was no lead in preflag master blue. Small traces of lead were only found in the old master green chalk. I think the lead came from the lead chromate in the yellow pigment used to make the green color.

TASK
06-02-2011, 05:16 PM
I really like the blue Budweiser chalk. :duck:

To be serious though, I use the blue Master chalk. Mainly because it's what is always around, it's what I've always used, and nothing has ever led me to believe that it was inadequate. I went through a cube of Blue Diamond that I got from a friend, but any tangible difference between the two is beyond me.

GADawg
06-02-2011, 05:51 PM

I must be ambidextrous then. I am able to brush or wipe the chalk with my bridge hand.

among the pros I see both hands used to apply chalk.

RobMan
06-02-2011, 06:34 PM
Another vote for blue Master and chalk with free hand. Price is right - like $3 bucks for 12. Keep 1/2 dozen pieces in case. Can't stand using old worn pieces.

wontonny
06-02-2011, 06:45 PM
I vote for tried and true Blue Master.

I have a cube of Blue Diamond that I'm trying out currently, but I feel that it's only marginally better than Master. My only complaint with BD is that it marks up my measles ball a lot. Preflag Master is good too, but again there's only a slight difference. I feel that it could just be the age of the chalk has allowed it to dry out more, so I'm doing an experiment by leaving a piece of chalk on my dashboard to get it cooking and I'll try it out after summer is over.

PaulieB
06-02-2011, 06:54 PM
"NIR" professional chalk, blue. about $3/cube including shipping. it seems to be more "stciky" than "masters".

Anyone else try this stuff? Thinking of buying some to give it a shot. I like Blue Diamond but always like trying new stuff.

or1pkt
06-02-2011, 07:11 PM
sportcraft chalk from wal-mart...add a little spit to it and you can draw 4 rails even with a phenalic tip...lol :)

poolcuemaster
06-02-2011, 07:22 PM
pooljunkie4life please clear your pm's so I can send you one about a chalkholder.--Leonard

cuejo
06-02-2011, 09:10 PM
Like everyone on the planet, I started out using blue masters....then for some reason or another(probably to be different) I started with purple Silver cup.....

I liked the feel and look of the silver cup so I used that, back to blue, for a bunch of years

Then came blue diamond! Loved that stuff....until.......

You got it in one! Kamui :)

This stuff is cool, feels like a pastel crayon going on, but it lasts like nothing else! Feel's neat going on, I don't find it messy at all, maybe cause it's so dry in Edmonton, I don't know for sure.

I don't mind paying the money for quality
after all, you have to pay to play

hapns
06-02-2011, 11:57 PM
Another urban myth

There was no lead in preflag master blue. Small traces of lead were only found in the old master green chalk. I think the lead came from the lead chromate in the yellow pigment used to make the green color.

Yeah this is what I have been told. I was mostly joking-- any difference that people claim to feel is most likely a classic example of placebo effect. (Although I can't speak for Kamui chalk, because I have yet to try it.)

Realistically, I've used new and old Master, Triangle, Blue Diamond, Brunswick, etc, and they're all pretty much the same. Right now I'm using a piece of Blue Diamond, but that's not for any particular reason other than I was just given it.