PDA

View Full Version : Won 2nd place at a weekly tournament

Guapo
06-02-2011, 12:39 AM
This is the second week that I go. Last week was my first time playing in a competitive setting. I WAS going to be start playing league next session but that's not gonna happen anymore. But that's another story.

The tournament is at a bar about 10 minutes from where I live here in SoCal. The field as a whole isn't the strongest but there are a handful of players who play really good.

Both of my losses (single games) were to the guy that went undefeated to win it all. Both times I got to the 8-ball but over-ran position to leave my self tough shots that I missed. Kinda tough watching him run-out knowing I should've won.

I'm a really competitive person so it's tough to swallow that I choked. I don't mind getting straight up beat but seeing the goal line and fumbling really chaps my ass! (Dumb and Dumber reference :grin:)

Seeing as I was new, the organizer put me in the lower bracket. When he gave me my prize money he told me I won't be in that bracket next time.

Also, I played two of the really good players and I was allowed one BIH during the game. Rules are that it has to be at the beginning of your turn and can't be on the 8-ball.

What I'm getting at is that I know I'm a lesser skilled player but I still feel like a bit of a chump when I call my BIH. It sort of reminds me of playing bowling with the bumpers. Anyone experience a similar situation? How'd you guys feel?

Anyways, that's my story. Back to your regularly scheduled programming.

Tony_in_MD
06-02-2011, 03:44 AM
Never heard of a spot like that.

Atlatlien
06-02-2011, 04:18 AM
Wait.... you get ball in hand WITHOUT a foul having occurred? I'm shocked.

With that spot, IMO if you "should've" won, you would have. Tough luck my friend.

Spantiznik
06-02-2011, 05:23 AM
Both of my losses (single games) were to the guy that went undefeated to win it all. Both times I got to the 8-ball but over-ran position to leave my self tough shots that I missed. Kinda tough watching him run-out knowing I should've won.

What I'm getting at is that I know I'm a lesser skilled player but I still feel like a bit of a chump when I call my BIH. It sort of reminds me of playing bowling with the bumpers. Anyone experience a similar situation? How'd you guys feel?

First thing, Congrats on coming in second place.

When you are running down the table and you are prone to over shot the 8-ball (As well as I), What I like doing is to step away from the table to take a sip of my drink and to just take a second look at the shot just before the 8-ball. Doing this, I have cut down my over/ under shooting position by at least a good 75%.

I am thinking that it is just being in the zone and not really thinking about that last shot. Sometimes I get to excited and the blood needs to be cooled down.

BIH at anytime during the game, except for when its the 8-ball. WoW .. Never heard of that before.

Good luck for next week.

thejeffcho
06-02-2011, 09:32 AM
Where was this tournament? (I'm in south Orange County)

Black-Balled
06-02-2011, 09:48 AM
2nd? Congratulations? Are you crazy?

2nd is just the best loser!!

Haha, I kid. COngrats on the $ and welcome to the board.

You do know that this is how pool sucks you in right? EZ money at first, then as it gets it hooks in...you gonna be in trouble.:wink:

Guapo
06-02-2011, 10:20 AM
First thing, Congrats on coming in second place.

When you are running down the table and you are prone to over shot the 8-ball (As well as I), What I like doing is to step away from the table to take a sip of my drink and to just take a second look at the shot just before the 8-ball. Doing this, I have cut down my over/ under shooting position by at least a good 75%.

I am thinking that it is just being in the zone and not really thinking about that last shot. Sometimes I get to excited and the blood needs to be cooled down.

BIH at anytime during the game, except for when its the 8-ball. WoW .. Never heard of that before.

Good luck for next week.

Thank you very much. I'll keep this in mind. I've also been reflecting myself. Next time I'll ask myself, which side do I want to err on, short on position or over running it. One usually messes things up more than the other.

As for the BIH, yea, I know, it's a big spot. Maybe that's why I feel like a chump taking it even if the other guys are way better than me. I guess it's the organizer's way of handicapping (if that's the appropriate term?).

A couple players get it with everyone they play. Since I was newer, the guy gave it to me against the "Top Dogs".

I repeat, the field isn't too strong. We get $5 bucks if any non-top dogs beat a top dog and $10 if we B&R. I think only one person did the latter, the guy that went undefeated and took me out.

Monrovia. LMK if you want the name or directions...

2nd? Congratulations? Are you crazy?

2nd is just the best loser!!

Haha, I kid. COngrats on the $ and welcome to the board.

You do know that this is how pool sucks you in right? EZ money at first, then as it gets it hooks in...you gonna be in trouble.:wink:

Haha, I know. The money was my consolation prize! It's not much. A little lunch money doesn't hurt.

I've BEEN hooked by pool. I got bit when I started playing a lot about April of last year. Usually play atleast 3 nights a week. Some weeks I've played up to 5 and I know there's been a couple that I played everyday of the week.

Yes, I'm a billiardholic.

Zivan1967
06-02-2011, 10:30 AM
Nothing wrong with being hooked on billiards.

I had it bad when I first started. 2 months straight i played an average of 8 hours a day instead of going to classes (there was a pool/bowling rec center on campus, decent pool hall with 15 9 foot gold crown 3's and a house table with tight pockets)

I slowed down quite a bit since then, I only shoot an hour or two every other day, but man pool can be addicting lol. Keep shooting and sooner than you think you're gona be the one giving up the spot. :thumbup:

the420trooper
06-02-2011, 10:47 AM
This is the second week that I go. Last week was my first time playing in a competitive setting. I WAS going to be start playing league next session but that's not gonna happen anymore. But that's another story.

The tournament is at a bar about 10 minutes from where I live here in SoCal. The field as a whole isn't the strongest but there are a handful of players who play really good.

I'm a really competitive person so it's tough to swallow that I choked. I don't mind getting straight up beat but seeing the goal line and fumbling really chaps my ass! (Dumb and Dumber reference :grin:)

Seeing as I was new, the organizer put me in the lower bracket. When he gave me my prize money he told me I won't be in that bracket next time.

Also, I played two of the really good players and I was allowed one BIH during the game. Rules are that it has to be at the beginning of your turn and can't be on the 8-ball.

Anyways, that's my story. Back to your regularly scheduled programming.

1. Congrats on your finish, newbie.

2. Dumb and Dumber references are always welcome. :)

3. If you take a poll among all the pool players here, I would bet that every single one of us have more 2nd place finishes than wins...It goes with the territory. Pool is hard.

pwd72s
06-02-2011, 11:16 AM

You'll be there next week, right??? :wink: