PDA

View Full Version : Would you want him?

ShootingRazbone
06-02-2011, 04:36 AM
Fallers include Shawn Putnam, Hatch and Earl Strickland who now finds himself in sixth spot. Johnny Archer creeps into the top ten for the first time.

This talking about spots on the Mosconi Cup. If you were in charge of picking the team, would you pick Earl to represent the US?

ehn9
06-02-2011, 05:18 AM
I've heard a lot of pro's have said they won't play if earl goes

Njhustler1
06-02-2011, 05:25 AM
yeah, the guy can be very entertaining but when he's representing the country, and he brings a decent chance of flipping out at the given event, not so sure thats a good idea.

pt109
06-02-2011, 05:27 AM

I voted FOR Earl.
His good points far out-weigh the bad.
I wonder how many players with 6 World titles and 5 US Open titles
would not want him on the team.
And I wonder how many players who could attract more spectators
would not want him on the team.

bgood
06-02-2011, 05:58 AM
I would prefer to see dennis go. But you gotta respect the way earl plays

brandoncook26
06-02-2011, 06:15 AM
I agree that Earl is still an amazing player, but the Mosconi Cup isn't just about how well you play. Being a team event, the overall attitude of the team and moral contribute greatly to their success.

Earl may bring a good game, but his attitude sours the experience for the others. It's not fair to the other four (especially if a first timer like Dechaine gets in) to cheapen something they have worked for and earned by allowing Earl to show his ass.

Black-Balled
06-02-2011, 06:30 AM
Until there is some sort of real qualifier system, I vote he's in.

And those others who would 'choose to not play if Earl does'? Well that is like saying you don't want to win the lottery coz of the taxes.

Rich R.
06-02-2011, 06:59 AM
There is no question that Earl was one of the best to ever play the game, but, in his current state, he is nothing more than an embarrassment.

M HOUSE
06-02-2011, 07:00 AM
Granted, Earl's high gear is probaly still as good as anyone's. But, this is a team event, and imo the possible affects of a potential flame out have to be considered. If it happens his teammates would likely be distracted and maybe not play their best after that. On the other hand, it would likely only piss the other side off and make them want to win even more than they already do. That is why my vote would be no.

justadub
06-02-2011, 07:08 AM

And I bet just as many others would step up and play in a heartbeat if those guys (JA, Putnam, et al) don't wanna go.

I am hoping Earl goes, and lights it up for all the world to see. One more time.

Itsnotme
06-02-2011, 07:09 AM
I'll take hatch over Earl anyday. He is better with the crowd, makes shots just as easily as Earl, better safety play, exciting to watch and has a better character.

Despite Earl being a phenomenal player and having a impressive record, he is a ***** and he gives classier USA players a bad name. Sorry Earl, you've earned it.

Aaron_S
06-02-2011, 08:05 AM
The Mosconi cup is 9-ball races to 6, right? If I tune into an event like that (and I do enjoy watching the cup, btw) you can rest assured it's not because I think the pool is going to be extremely captivating. Yes, I know these guys are going to play great pool, but the format of the event leaves it wide open to uncontrollable circumstances - luck is a huge factor. The better player or team can easily lose a race to 6 if the balls don't break well for them, as we all know.

What I tune in for is to see a handful of professionals (who are ordinarily trying to take each others heads each week) get together and function as a team to make a solid representation of the USA. I want to see kinsmanship, teamwork, and camaraderie from both teams. The excitement is in watching the cooperation, the celebration for the wins, the support for the losses, and the momentum flow from match to match.

Earl is a great player - no doubt one of the best ever, and any player of his caliber would normally be a welcome teammate. But the negativity he brings has a detrimental affect on the team at times, which for me (and some of the other Mosconi Cup players apparently) overrides the benefits he brings to the team. I personally think there are several players who would be more of an asset to the team than Earl. So what if Earl could give them the 8 and rob them - I'll take the great team player who plays a ball under Earl every day.

Aaron

Johnnyt
06-02-2011, 08:08 AM
The top 5 players on the points list should go...no matter who it is. Johnnyt

mm4pool
06-02-2011, 08:33 AM
My thoughts are that I do not want a carnival side show act representing the USA in any competition, whether it be golf, tennis, soccer, or pool. Earl has immense talents still but he would be a detrimental addition to the team. Give me 5 players who can function together as a team, pull someone up when they are down etc over a talented clown any day

Mike

pt109
06-02-2011, 10:05 AM

That is how I feel....
..it's not who you know....it's how well you play

measureman
06-02-2011, 10:09 AM
The guy has mental problems. Why would you want him to represent our country?

sfleinen
06-02-2011, 10:52 AM
The guy has mental problems. Why would you want him to represent our country?

^^^ This. I agree with Bruce, and I voted No for this reason. While I'm a die-hard Earl fan, and I find myself gravitating towards his match table when spectating at tournaments, the Mosconi Cup isn't solely and exclusively about achievements or ability at an individual level. It's about a TEAM effort. How the pieces and parts (read: team members) work together as a team? How well does that machine work to achieve a goal?

Team America doesn't need a divisive person like Earl destroying the team mechanics or our team's professionalism in full view of the world. While Earl's antics may be fun to watch when he's playing as an individual at a tournament (he's representing HIMSELF, afterall), I find it quite embarrassing that he would be representing our country, in a team, in front of the world.

But then again, my ex-military "no one individual is more important than the team" MO might be coming to the surface in this one.

-Sean

the420trooper
06-02-2011, 11:00 AM
Does anyone have a link to the statistics for individual player's Mosconi Cup records?

I'm not sure, but I think Earl's overall win / loss record would stand against anyone who has ever played in the event.

Does anyone else remember his chicken dance against Nick Van Den Berg in '03? Classic!

Several memorable Earl quotes from that year regarding that match include:

"Yeah well, let's see if he plays as good as me in 20 years."

"Make him break from the box and he'll break his hand." :D

I vote for Earl if he's playing well enough to deserve the spot.

Hungarian
06-02-2011, 11:37 AM
I feel that when you sum it all up Earl has a net negative impact.

Joelh
06-02-2011, 04:21 PM
Does anyone have a link to the statistics for individual player's Mosconi Cup records?

If you go here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mosconi_Cup

The references have the links to the results for each match.

From a quick tabulation:

Strickland has an overall team record of 9-3-1.
Of all the matches he was involved in (both singles and doubles), his record is 36-22.
His singles record is 14-11.

Compared to Archer:

His overall team record is 9-4-1.
From all of his matches: 37-32
His singles record: 14-11.

BTW, I voted Yes. Strickland steps up in big matches. I don't really believe that anyone of the possible Mosconi Team considerations would really turn down a guaranteed 5-figure payday because of their dislike for Earl Strickland.

As far as team camaraderie goes, winning will take care of that. In the words of John Madden, "Winning is a great deodorant."

TheNewSharkster
06-02-2011, 04:32 PM
Didn't Earl take down SVB and Archer earlier this year? He is on top of his game. I say he should go.

Nick B
06-02-2011, 04:55 PM
Didn't Earl take down SVB and Archer earlier this year? He is on top of his game. I say he should go.

What he said. You can say what you want about the f'ld-up 10 footer they played on but he beat SVB that day and backed it up with a Scorpion killing and both of the aforementioned are locks to be there.

I question whether Cory should be.

SVB, Archer, Earl, Hatch and RM (RM is the wild card unless someone else goes red hot). Having said that I'm a Canadian so what do I know.

Nick

Strike First
06-02-2011, 04:56 PM
I say he goes. I watch for entertainment, and earl is the most entertaining of all.

mdavis228
06-02-2011, 05:46 PM
I voted no, much as I hate for it be that way. Earl is one of the all time greats, with no doubt. But the Mosconi cup... Tried that, didn't work out.

danquixote
06-02-2011, 06:08 PM
I voted yes, and while I agree that past behavior can serve to predict future behavior, no one can be certain that Earl would "act out" and shame his team mates. If he has earned the right to go....then he should!

3andstop
06-02-2011, 06:11 PM
I agree that Earl is still an amazing player, but the Mosconi Cup isn't just about how well you play. Being a team event, the overall attitude of the team and moral contribute greatly to their success.

Earl may bring a good game, but his attitude sours the experience for the others. It's not fair to the other four (especially if a first timer like Dechaine gets in) to cheapen something they have worked for and earned by allowing Earl to show his ass.

Well said.

greyghost
06-02-2011, 06:16 PM
I'd vote for him.........matter of face where do you vote?

His record speaks for itself and so does his play this year IMOP.

Pearl fan forever, always have been always will be.

-Grey Ghost-

Diamond Jack
06-02-2011, 07:54 PM
I voted yes, enough said from overseas, Germany.

onepocketron
06-02-2011, 08:06 PM
I have mixed emotions about Earl. He is obviously a huge talent, but his outbursts are much to be desired. He kind of went off on this old guy sitting close to the table recently at a tourney and no one on the rail had any idea what happened. If I was that guy I would tell him to shove it where the sun don't shine. If he isn't doing well, it seems he has to "blame" it on someone or something. I actually kinda feel sorry for the guy. I hope he isn't as miserable in his life as he seems to be around the pool table at times. Life is too short.

poolmouse
06-02-2011, 08:21 PM
There is no question that Earl was one of the best to ever play the game, but, in his current state, he is nothing more than an embarrassment.

I agree wholeheartedly.

poolmouse
06-02-2011, 08:23 PM
I say he goes. I watch for entertainment, and earl is the most entertaining of all.

Yes, in a South Park kind of way. :)

Underclocked
06-02-2011, 08:28 PM
I not only would vote for him, I would want him to take his muffs, weights, and all his gizmos along. :grin:

Sieben
06-02-2011, 08:34 PM

Its all about representing your country,personal accomplishments don't out weigh the fact that you represent the United States Of America,earl cant be trusted with that responsibility.

richiebalto
06-02-2011, 08:52 PM

Johnny t has it rite,if u earn the rite to go then u go,isnt that the reason they have this scoring system after all?i no a lot of people talk about earls past problems,but if somebody wanted to they could probably dig up alot of dirt on other players as well,i say if earl earns a spot then he is in!

risky biz
06-02-2011, 10:22 PM
You win, Earl! : )

the420trooper
06-02-2011, 10:42 PM
Its all about representing your country,personal accomplishments don't out weigh the fact that you represent the United States Of America,earl cant be trusted with that responsibility.

Here's a point that no one ever mentions:

Rodney Morris and Dennis Hatch both have more checkered pasts than Earl, but they're always in the top picks for the Mosconi Cup team.

I don't know why people act like one's past behavior should gain or lose them a spot on the team.

If Earl is playing well enough to be chosen, then he deserves the spot....as should Rodney or Dennis. Their recent performance on the pool table should be the only qualifier for entry.

poolplayer2093
06-03-2011, 12:01 AM
i would. his "f*ck you" attitude is 100% american!!!!!

SKILLZELITE
06-03-2011, 07:15 AM
Although hes very opinionated and a Pr!ck quite often, I believe hes too talented to look over..

Jason Koopman
06-03-2011, 09:51 AM
Why would you question about Corey? He's been playing pretty sporty as of late.

Jason Koopman
06-03-2011, 09:54 AM
[QUOTE=Nick B;3041189]What he said. You can say what you want about the f'ld-up 10 footer they played on but he beat SVB that day and backed it up with a Scorpion killing and both of the aforementioned are locks to be there.

I question whether Cory should be.

SVB, Archer, Earl, Hatch and RM (RM is the wild card unless someone else goes red hot). Having said that I'm a Canadian so what do I know.

Nick[/QUOTE
Sorry for the double post, but I forgot to use the quote option the first time.

jhanso18
06-03-2011, 11:21 AM
didn't have time to read the whole thread.

first off, there is not a pro out there that will turn down a free pay day. second, if earl earns a spot. he earned it. plain and simple. it's not a beauty contest, or a "who can be the best human being" contest. it's pool. every one in europe who play's pool, know's who earl is, and knows he can be a real pain in the ass. they also know he doesn't rep. the U.S.A. as a whole.

all you high and mighty out there need to get a clue. "he's bad for the sport." "he brings pool down" he's this that and the other thing. shut the hell up. Tiger is bad for gulf??? Vick is bad for foot ball??? half the NBA is bad for thier sport??? He's contraversial. people want to see contraversy, i.e. good for the sport arguably. anything that brings eyes toward the sport i love is good.

I hate to have to break this to you guys but... pool is already looked down on as a sport. it's not going to matter what the public thinks of earl, IT'S THAT THEY WATCH THE SHOW!!!!! haters love to hate, give them an outlet! that's what you should focus on. Earl for muscony team is the best thing that can happen. hopefully he really loses his shit, and makes national news so that the sport can get some publicity.

sorry for the rant, the whole "Earl is bad for the sport" crowd just gets on my nerves.

FYI, NOT A BIG EARL FAN. just a fan of a sport that is in desperate need of some TLC in the public eye.

just my $.02

Mitchxout
06-03-2011, 11:55 AM
I voted yes. There are plenty of prima donna golfers that earn the right to play team events.

M HOUSE
06-03-2011, 12:08 PM
Sorry jhanso18, it was oil that was bad for the gulf, not Tiger.

But you are right that it would be interesting if Earl makes the team. It could even make for a very good prop bet. Some of the Euro fans are probaly already thinking about what they can do or say to get Mt. Earl to erupt. Given the fact that Earl will sometimes self-ignite, it shouldn't take much to set him off. I'm sure that someone could come up with an over/under line for how long it will take for Earl to blow. If the Euro fans are determined enough, I'm thinking the line should be set somewhere within the first few minutes of his first match.

metallicane
06-03-2011, 12:45 PM
He is playing great and will get his team fired up. His antics can be distracting, but he makes it fun watching.

pro9dg
06-03-2011, 01:26 PM
I can see the possibility of an interesting situation ahead.

If Earl makes the team (and the only way that he can do that is by earning a top 3 spot in The Matchroom Mosconi rankings) then the players who said that they won't play if Earl is on the team become a factor.
With the advent of the ABP they might try to flex their muscles with Matchroom and try to get him removed. They could do this on the pretext that he is not a member of their Association.
This could be a path to destruction for them because Earl could sue Matchroom for failure to abide by published criteria for spots on the team. They would probably respond by saying its our way or nothing. They would get out of pool. Afterall, they would still have golf, snooker, soccer, ten pin bowling, boxing, freshwater, fly and marlin fishing, bushido, claypigeon shooting and darts to fall back on.

jhanso18
06-03-2011, 03:38 PM

GET OVER IT! "he cant be trusted" it's not nuclear secrets. its pool.

ChicagoRJ
06-03-2011, 07:50 PM
I'll take hatch over Earl anyday. He is better with the crowd, makes shots just as easily as Earl, better safety play, exciting to watch and has a better character.

Despite Earl being a phenomenal player and having a impressive record, he is a ***** and he gives classier USA players a bad name. Sorry Earl, you've earned it.

As usual, you spout off pretty quickly when it comes to Earl. And as usual you are so off base it's quite embarrassing. A better shot maker than Earl?? Ha... might be the dumbest statement of the year award right there. But you should not throw stones regarding character when your buddy Hatch lives in a glass house. Since you belive Earl has "earned it" as far as character, are you saying Hatch did not earn his?? I"m not holding it against Hatch but since we are throwing stones,,,here goes..

**The 29-year-old Hatch faces up to 18 months in federal prison when he appears before Federal Judge William M. Skretny on Sept. 27 to be sentenced on a felony charge of arranging a cocaine transaction by telephone**

maldito
06-03-2011, 08:01 PM
Earl is great ( I think he has won more games in the Mosconi Cup than anyone) but the question is how does he fit in as a team player etc. If I'm not mistaken when we won it back - Hatch was voted MVP and this was his first Mosconi Cup and he got the crowd going so I will take Hatch over him for the Mosconi Cup.

JimmyWhite
06-03-2011, 08:01 PM
**The 29-year-old Hatch faces up to 18 months in federal prison when he appears before Federal Judge William M. Skretny on Sept. 27 to be sentenced on a felony charge of arranging a cocaine transaction by telephone**

:confused:

Neil
06-03-2011, 08:11 PM

ChicagoRJ
06-03-2011, 09:18 PM
:confused:

Jimmy, I was referring to Dennis Hatch who was arrested and convicted on federal drug trafficking charges in 2000. He spent two years in prison.

My reference was not to "smear" Hatch. It appears he has put his life back together and such. Good for him. I'm a fan. But just goes to show the Earl haters don't like "antics at the table" but when some other player is selling drugs it does not seem to bother them for some reason if he plays on the Mosconi Cup ??? Come on folks....

skip
06-04-2011, 03:40 AM
Few years back Earl's skill would compensate for his bad behavior. His skill level has dropped ever so slight but enough, an now when a lot of use to think Earl is just a mad genus know that he is just mad.

Mickey Qualls
06-04-2011, 02:20 PM
Maybe it's me, but I guess I'm not seeing where the issue is.

If Corey Deuel earns his way onto the Mosconi Cup team, then he should play. Period.

If Shane Van Boening earns his way onto the Mosconi Cup team, then he should play. Period.

If I manage to earn my way onto the Mosconi Cup team, then I should play. Period.

If Earl earns his way onto the Mosconi Cup team, then he should play. Period.

M HOUSE
06-04-2011, 04:29 PM
Maybe it's me, but I guess I'm not seeing where the issue is.

If Corey Deuel earns his way onto the Mosconi Cup team, then he should play. Period.

If Shane Van Boening earns his way onto the Mosconi Cup team, then he should play. Period.

If I manage to earn my way onto the Mosconi Cup team, then I should play. Period.

If Earl earns his way onto the Mosconi Cup team, then he should play. Period.

A number of members have expressed almost the exact same opinion as yours, and I don't think that anyone would disagree that if Earl makes the team, he should play. Rules are rules. But somewhere along the way this thread seems to have gotten off track. The OP said nothing about whether or not Earl should play if he makes the team. The OP was phrased as a hypothetical question, "If you were in charge of picking the team, would you pick Earl?" I suspect there are a number of people who would totally agree with your point, yet would anwser the OP with a no. I am one.

Mickey Qualls
06-05-2011, 03:48 AM
A number of members have expressed almost the exact same opinion as yours, and I don't think that anyone would disagree that if Earl makes the team, he should play. Rules are rules. But somewhere along the way this thread seems to have gotten off track. The OP said nothing about whether or not Earl should play if he makes the team. The OP was phrased as a hypothetical question, "If you were in charge of picking the team, would you pick Earl?" I suspect there are a number of people who would totally agree with your point, yet would anwser the OP with a no. I am one.

M House, thanks for clearing that up.

I don't know, that's a tough call. With the way Earl's been shooting, he'd be a valuble weapon to have in the bag. Of course, he would need to keep his cool and not go off the wall. That seems to be the concern of many posters/voters in this thread.
As I'm typing this, I'm watching/listening to the post-interview following USA's 2009 Mosconi Cup win (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OzWN_ajp954&feature=related). Hatch gets asked an interesting question at the 9:00 mark. His response was interesting, and it seemed that his teammates couldn't help but agree with him on it.

If the Pearl does earn a spot on the Mosconi Cup team, then I say good for him.

I've read on this forum where a great deal of pro players wouldn't want to, or would refuse to, play with Strickland if he gets in. For what it's worth, does anyone know where Captain Nick Varner stands on the possibility of Earl being on the team ?

paksat
06-05-2011, 06:39 AM
M House, thanks for clearing that up.

I don't know, that's a tough call. With the way Earl's been shooting, he'd be a valuble weapon to have in the bag. Of course, he would need to keep his cool and not go off the wall. That seems to be the concern of many posters/voters in this thread.
As I'm typing this, I'm watching/listening to the post-interview following USA's 2009 Mosconi Cup win (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OzWN_ajp954&feature=related). Hatch gets asked an interesting question at the 9:00 mark. His response was interesting, and it seemed that his teammates couldn't help but agree with him on it.

If the Pearl does earn a spot on the Mosconi Cup team, then I say good for him.

I've read on this forum where a great deal of pro players wouldn't want to, or would refuse to, play with Strickland if he gets in. For what it's worth, does anyone know where Captain Nick Varner stands on the possibility of Earl being on the team ?

Earl doesn't keep his cool though. He's going to be a massive distraction as always.. sticks will hit the floor, enemies will be made in the audience.

Like the pool industry cares though, lifes great :rolleyes:

Mickey Qualls
06-05-2011, 10:00 PM
Here are the current rankings following the Riviera tourney last month :

1. Mike Dechaine
2. Shane Van Boening
3. Corey Deuel
4. Dennis Hatch
5. Shawn Putnam
6. Earl Strickland
7. Charlie Williams
8. Johnny Archer
9. Mike Davis
10. Stevie Moore
11. Rodney Morris
12. Robb Saez
13. Hunter Lombardo
14. Gabe Owen
15. Jeremy Sossei

I just wanna play devil's advocate for a moment.

A) How many tournaments are left before the members of Team America are decided ?
B) At this point, who's 'still in it', and who's not ? Basically, who still has a chance to make the team ?
C) These pros that would supposedly refuse to play with Earl, where in the rankings are/were these pros when they said that ?

Food for thought, just askin'.

justadub
06-06-2011, 04:46 AM
Here are the current rankings following the Riviera tourney last month :

1. Mike Dechaine
2. Shane Van Boening
3. Corey Deuel
4. Dennis Hatch
5. Shawn Putnam
6. Earl Strickland
7. Charlie Williams
8. Johnny Archer
9. Mike Davis
10. Stevie Moore
11. Rodney Morris
12. Robb Saez
13. Hunter Lombardo
14. Gabe Owen
15. Jeremy Sossei

I just wanna play devil's advocate for a moment.

A) How many tournaments are left before the members of Team America are decided ?
B) At this point, who's 'still in it', and who's not ? Basically, who still has a chance to make the team ?
C) These pros that would supposedly refuse to play with Earl, where in the rankings are/were these pros when they said that ?

Food for thought, just askin'.

Just guesses, but I believe someone said there were four points-eligible tourneys left.

The only ones that have publicly stated they wouldn't play with Earl were JA and Putnam. Realize this is from my limited memory. Whoever else the two of them refer to hasn't been stated, that I recall seeing.