PDA

View Full Version : Why is everyone so obsessed...

JesseBfan
06-02-2011, 10:20 AM
With killing all runouts? I think it's truly a thing of beauty when a guy breaks 'em hard and runs out 3+ racks in a row. I think 10 ball is definitely the game for now and the future. I also like winner breaks better than alternate the breaks because every shot has the potential of being your last if you fail. It makes the game more dramatic and gives a guy who is behind 7-2 a chance to win. DON'T make the pockets tighter! DON'T add more balls! Just leave the game alone, it's beautiful just like it is.

Just my opinions of course

pwd72s
06-02-2011, 10:22 AM
as a banger who is happy with a 5 BALL run, I agree...:)

Tramp Steamer
06-02-2011, 10:32 AM
There's nothing finer, or more satisfying, than eight and out in One Pocket. Especially off the break.
As the late, great, Willie Jopling would say. "Outsville." :)

sjm
06-02-2011, 10:35 AM
With killing all runouts? I think it's truly a thing of beauty when a guy breaks 'em hard and runs out 3+ racks in a row. I think 10 ball is definitely the game for now and the future. I also like winner breaks better than alternate the breaks because every shot has the potential of being your last if you fail. It makes the game more dramatic and gives a guy who is behind 7-2 a chance to win. DON'T make the pockets tighter! DON'T add more balls! Just leave the game alone, it's beautiful just like it is.

Agreed 95%. Still, I've often sugested that just like golf does in its major championships, pool should make playing conditions more difficult in its most prestigious tournaments, as it helps weed out the truly elite.

A US Open golf course is set up to be a greater test of skills than what is customary in a regular tour event. I think that, similarly, an event like the US Open 9 ball should be played on equipment that is tighter than is customary.

And, yes, winner breaks is the only way to play! Watching players string racks can be electrifying. The number of four packs or more seen at the Riviera a couple of weeks ago was, quite possibly, greater than in any ten ball event ever played, It gave testament to the brilliance of the players, and
excited all those in attendance.

sfleinen
06-02-2011, 10:41 AM
[...] pool should make playing conditions more difficult in its most prestigious tournaments, as it helps weed out the truly elite.

[...]

But-but-but Stu, wouldn't we want to weed out everyone but the truly elite? Weeding out the elite would be the process used for the neighborhood ring game, to make sure ringers don't take everyone's easy money...

:p

J/K
-Sean

Woof Biscuit
06-02-2011, 10:57 AM
I agree. There's nothing better than to string a few racks together. I have played over my head a few times and ran 3 or 4 against a really good player or two. You would be amazed at how much pressure that puts on the other player. I would wager it's more than tight pockets at the highest level. If someone is playing lights out against you, put together a package deal for them and see what happens to their game.

From another angle, watching your adversary dog balls will not make you play better in the long run.

SCCues
06-02-2011, 11:22 AM

I like your opinions and I agree with you.......if a player runs 3 or 4 racks on you and you get back to the table you better take advantage of your turn and not make a mistake.

James

snipershot
06-02-2011, 11:56 AM
Agreed 95%. Still, I've often sugested that just like golf does in its major championships, pool should make playing conditions more difficult in its most prestigious tournaments, as it helps weed out the truly elite.

A US Open golf course is set up to be a greater test of skills than what is customary in a regular tour event. I think that, similarly, an event like the US Open 9 ball should be played on equipment that is tighter than is customary.

And, yes, winner breaks is the only way to play! Watching players string racks can be electrifying. The number of four packs or more seen at the Riviera a couple of weeks ago was, quite possibly, greater than in any ten ball event ever played, It gave testament to the brilliance of the players, and
excited all those in attendance.

I agree with some things you say, but there have been several U.S. Open golf tourneys that were far beyond tough, they were just plain unfair. I forget what course it was on, but a few years ago the greens were so hard and dry, the ball just wouldn't stay on. That's not tough, that's ridiculous! I like watching lefty hit that baloon fade around a tree and stick it 3 feet from the pin and seeing the ball check up and roll back 6 inches. The same goes for pool too, it should be tough, but fair. I don't wanna watch 2 pros bangin balls around and missing a lot, hell, I can just look in the mirror and see that, lol.

Joe

Winston846
06-02-2011, 12:02 PM
There's nothing finer, or more satisfying, than eight and out in One Pocket. Especially off the break.
As the late, great, Willie Jopling would say. "Outsville." :)

A 100+ ball run in straight pool is impressive to watch, too.

I'd take either over watching a guy string a few racks of 9-ball.

Tramp Steamer
06-02-2011, 12:04 PM
A 100+ ball run in straight pool is impressive to watch, too.

I'd take either over watching a guy string a few racks of 9-ball.

Amen, Brother. :)

marek
06-02-2011, 12:09 PM
I also like winner breaks better than alternate the breaks because every shot has the potential of being your last if you fail. It makes the game more dramatic and gives a guy who is behind 7-2 a chance to win.

You can turn tables from 2-7 in race to 9 with alternate breaks even against the very best in the world. That said I like winner breaks more though :grin:

Wybrook
06-02-2011, 12:24 PM
They do all this crap because people hate to lose, but don't want to put the time in to practice. Instead, they find ways to modify and handicap the best players so that it makes it "fair" for everyone else....

Pool is the only sport/game where this really is in effect. In basketball, for example, if a guy shoots better than you, you go practice your jump shots. If a guy out jumps you, you go jump rope every day, etc....

In pool:
A guy breaks better than you - break restrictions (in the box)
A guy runs out more than you - alternate break
A guy makes the 9/10 ball on break - it doesn't count now
A guy jumps better than you - jump/gimmick cues or no jumping rules
A guy plays better safes - no 3 foul rule

Here's some good advice: stop whining and go practice. There are tons of books, dvds and other resources out there, as well as instructors willing to help you improve.
It takes time, but meanwhile, don't basterdize the game of pool because you can't make a ball.

Spimp13
06-02-2011, 12:29 PM
They do all this crap because people hate to lose, but don't want to put the time in to practice. Instead, they find ways to modify and handicap the best players so that it makes it "fair" for everyone else....

Pool is the only sport/game where this really is in effect. In basketball, for example, if a guy shoots better than you, you go practice your jump shots. If a guy out jumps you, you go jump rope every day, etc....

In pool:

Here's some good advice: stop whining and go practice. There are tons of books, dvds and other resources out there, as well as instructors willing to help you improve.
It takes time, but meanwhile, don't basterdize the game of pool because you can't make a ball.

Nice post...similar to saying where everyone gets either a trophy, ribbon, or ice cream afterwards regardless if they got 1st or last...just more in depth :D. Who really wants an 16th place trophy anyways?! Gimme that damn ice cream...specifically peanut butter cup blizzard with two scoops of the peanut butter cup...and thank you.

M HOUSE
06-02-2011, 12:42 PM
Very nice post Adam. But next time you should just tell everyone how you really feel. BTW, since your on here now you should take the time to start a thread and let everyone know about the new room in Orlando (if you haven't already).

And for those who want tighter pockets, as my old friend Scotty Townsend always says, "If you want to play on tighter pockets, just raise the bet, they'll tighten right up."

Mike Templeton
06-02-2011, 12:51 PM

In pool:

I agree with everything except alternating the break. In basketball, for instance, if a guy outscores you, you don't give him the ball back when he scores. You get it.

I know people like to see players string racks. To me it's still exciting with alternating break. In bowling, players still string strikes and it's exciting to watch. The other player just gets his chance to string strikes as well.

This, coupled with the fact that I have the worst break in the free world, makes me like alternating break better.

master_cueist
06-02-2011, 12:55 PM

In pool:

how true! and the funny thing is...all the people making up these rules are the ones trying to get better, the problem is if they DO get better and get to the point they want...all those rules they made up now come back to bite them

david(tx)
06-02-2011, 01:09 PM

In pool:

I don't think 9 ball was played with the 9 staying down in the old days , i may be wrong . 9 ball rules changed . I think the 9 was spotted on the break . If a player is the superior player he doesn't want to count slop does he ?I agree with most of what you said .

Corey Deuel perfects his soft break and then all the sudden a certain amount of balls have to pass the head string .

M HOUSE
06-02-2011, 01:27 PM
I agree with everything except alternating the break. In basketball, for instance, if a guy outscores you, you don't give him the ball back when he scores. You get it.

I know people like to see players string racks. To me it's still exciting with alternating break. In bowling, players still string strikes and it's exciting to watch. The other player just gets his chance to string strikes as well.

This, coupled with the fact that I have the worst break in the free world, makes me like alternating break better.

One of the aspects that makes pool such a great game is that it is not like basketball or bowling. In pool, as long as you are at the table, your opponent can not beat you. Why should they be given a chance to beat you every other game when they haven't earned that chance?

And if your break is really that bad, I'm sure Adam would tell to practice your break. I, on the other hand, would suggest that you learn how to "slug" rack, then spot your opponent the break.

JesseBfan
06-02-2011, 01:31 PM
People always like to talk about making pool more public friendly, a game that the masses(non-players) will understand more easily and therefore better for TV.

The first thing that should go to accomplish that is doing away with Alternate breaks. YES you get to see both players play that way, and in my opinion that is the ONLY benefit to that rule-set. The biggest problem for me is that if 2 random guys play pool casually in a bar or something they aren't alternating anything. WINNER stays on the table as they say. NOT ONE of these casual players understand Alt Breaks. But they certainly do get Winner breaks.

JesseBfan
06-02-2011, 01:40 PM
And for those who want tighter pockets, as my old friend Scotty Townsend always says, "If you want to play on tighter pockets, just raise the bet, they'll tighten right up."

AWESOME QUOTE from one of the most colorful characters our game has ever had! Thanks for sharing that, I hadn't heard it before. So True!!!

Pockets don't need to be any tighter IMO than they are now at pro events. If they get much smaller, alot of the creativity will be lost. Players will have to cinch more balls than they should and that would certainly not be as much fun to watch or to play. I've played on some supertight equipment and watched the likes of Archer and Nevel play on the same stuff, the game is not the same. The game is alot more caveman like when the pockets are small. Not to even get into that players will play alot more safes and I GUARANTEE this favors the better player alot more than runout games. ALL THE GREAT PLAYERS make balls at a rate that is somewhat close to their opponent. But they all move very different. I think when 2 great players play long matches(aside from the break) the thing that distances one player from another is how well they move.

Mikjary
06-02-2011, 02:07 PM

In pool:

This would be the fix that we're looking for in pool. Quit handicapping every tournament and let the winner be the one with the most fire power. I don't play in handicapped tourneys. I don't like to give or get weight either.

If your opponents are running out, you need to run out more than they do. If you're out gunned in anything you do, don't penalize the better competitors by compensating for your abilities with rule changes. Find a different ballpark or run with the pack. Who knows? You might be on top some day, after you get your education. :)

Best,
Mike

Mike Templeton
06-02-2011, 02:08 PM
:)One of the aspects that makes pool such a great game is that it is not like basketball or bowling. In pool, as long as you are at the table, your opponent can not beat you. Why should they be given a chance to beat you every other game when they haven't earned that chance?

And if your break is really that bad, I'm sure Adam would tell to practice your break. I, on the other hand, would suggest that you learn how to "slug" rack, then spot your opponent the break.

I actually agree House. The only reason I brought up basketball was because that was the example Adam used and I went to college on a bowling scholarship, so I've had a ton of strings of strikes thrown against me. I tell everyone that's what makes pool so great. I use the example that even if you're playing Tiger Woods, you get to tee your ball up and swing at him on an equal playing field, where in pool, you may never get out of your chair. Oh... I've tried practicing the break to no avail. And I've actually been told that for people who play my speed, I have the worst break they have ever seen. :eek: Anyone with any slug racking secrets...Please PM me... :)

master9baller
06-02-2011, 02:08 PM

I am in complete agreement with you. Especially regarding alternating break formats being unAmerican. How do you come back from a 7-2 deficit racing to 9 if you only break every other time? Also no reward for running out, and the best break and run possible is 1. The worst part for me is that the game loses it's momentum, just doesn't feel the same.

master9baller
06-02-2011, 02:12 PM
You can turn tables from 2-7 in race to 9 with alternate breaks even against the very best in the world. That said I like winner breaks more though :grin:

You can comeback only if they make mistakes or roll extremely badly. Otherwise your opportunity to comeback when they break is out of you hands.

master9baller
06-02-2011, 02:15 PM

In pool:

I think you nailed it!!!!

Alternating break can be sold by saying that it makes it "more competitive", it just keeps them score closer than it would be if it were played "the best man wins".

Mikjary
06-02-2011, 02:18 PM
I am in complete agreement with you. Especially regarding alternating break formats being unAmerican. How do you come back from a 7-2 deficit racing to 9 if you only break every other time? Also no reward for running out, and the best break and run possible is 1. The worst part for me is that the game loses it's momentum, just doesn't feel the same.

True dat. Alternating breaks, or even worse, loser breaks! Let's see your game. I want you to grow roots when I'm showing you what me and UPS deliver. Straight pool, too.

If you're doing it to me, I'll be the first one to tell you, "Nice shooting." I didn't say I'd like it, but I def respect it. :grin:

Best,
Mike

sfleinen
06-02-2011, 02:30 PM
True dat. Alternating breaks, or even worse, loser breaks! Let's see your game. I want you to grow roots when I'm showing you what me and UPS deliver. Straight pool, too.

If you're doing it to me, I'll be the first one to tell you, "Nice shooting." I didn't say I'd like it, but I def respect it. :grin:

Best,
Mike

Mike:

As you can see, this topic of manipulating the game rules to "level" the playing field only applies to the rotation games. You don't see anyone discussing this kind of stuff in straight pool. Winner of the lag decides who will break, and 99% of the time, he/she will nominate the loser to do so. Or, if you really want to "dis" your opponent (say, you're playing a duffer), you call the headball in the side pocket, and do the "kick hard behind the rack into the last row's corner ball, sending the headball two rails into the sidepocket" break. Then make him/her sit while you run 100 and out. :p

-Sean <-- actually did that once to his practice partner, on a lark, but not to "dis" him

master_cueist
06-02-2011, 02:50 PM

Best,
Mike

lol @ I want you to grow roots when I'm showing you what me and UPS deliver. Thats one of the best things ive ever heard...and when i first started reading this the quote from townsend i thought was awesome about, if you want to play on tighter pockets raise the bet, they will tighten right up. But yours is one of the best i have ever heard

8&snap
06-02-2011, 03:09 PM

In pool:

Kind of seems like the affirmative action for pool

LAlouie
06-03-2011, 01:09 AM
Because the only exercise pool players get are walking around a 9' table or sitting and drinking beer.

OH WAIT!!,,,,you said "obsessed"! I though you said "obese".

poolplayer2093
06-03-2011, 01:49 AM
i put together a 3 pack playing the ghost today. felt great! i'm a big fan of 9 ball myself. to be completely honest everyone seems to be making a big fuss about having to play 10 ball but all the people i see doing that don't play well enough that it's making all the difference in the world.

sure pros should probably be playing 10 ball but everyone i see demanding to play 10 ball don't play well enough for it to make that big a difference

jrackman
06-03-2011, 03:13 AM

In pool:

It takes time, but meanwhile, don't basterdize the game of pool because you can't make a ball.I agree with you 100%. cowboy up you so called pool players and you know who you are, go practice or go on the womens tour and cry, but then the girls never seem to cry so I guess you can't go there. I would like to see it go winner break, this would make the lag possible the most important shot of the match, not like what you see today, guy's just hitting the ball up and down the table because their going to break the next game anyway. I also would like to see 9 ball or 10 ball on break wins and the 3 foul rule. As for jumping I could take it or leave it, as I think making nice kicks are a thing of beauty but so are some jump shots.

RogerChambers
06-04-2011, 07:31 AM
Throughout my meager fifty-some years of living, I have seen pool games come, go, and evolve. I am no professional but only a recreational shooter who sometimes plays in tournaments. I say "Leave 9 Ball Alone."

When I was younger, the game of choice (at least for us) was Straight Pool. Nine ball was around but not as we see it today. The game seemed to evolve, mostly in my opinion to meet the TV crowd. I am somewhat dumbfounded by watching some players at the local poolhall play 9 Ball because they will jump a ball but cannot string four balls together for an out. Personally, I think 9 Ball, as with any pool game, can be a thing of beauty when played right and it is great to watch people string four or five racks in a row. How can one not acknowledge their achievement? Again I say, "Leave it alone."

One of my best memories was when I was playing in a local tournament against a player whose playing skill was far above me. It was a race to seven and he had me down 5-1. I bore down and tied it (with the help of a 9 on the break) to 5-5. I lost but I felt good because I adapted to the environment, the table, the loud mouth at the next table, etc. Also, it was kinda fun watching him squirm a little in his chair. I gave it my best and lost. There is no shame in this.

I've ranted enough. To say more would be repeating and agreeing with the others. I love the saying about tighter pockets and raising the bet. Worked against me....lol. I also like the saying by Luther Lassiter, "If you need weight, you need practice."

Just my two cents.:grin:

justadub
06-04-2011, 07:52 AM
i put together a 3 pack playing the ghost today. felt great! i'm a big fan of 9 ball myself. to be completely honest everyone seems to be making a big fuss about having to play 10 ball but all the people i see doing that don't play well enough that it's making all the difference in the world.

sure pros should probably be playing 10 ball but everyone i see demanding to play 10 ball don't play well enough for it to make that big a difference

I can barely put three balls together, much less three racks. And even I see the humor in people crying about 9-ball.

You are 100% correct.

jmurphy
06-04-2011, 07:57 AM

In pool:

Think of it this way,
Pool is the ONLY sport in the world where your opponent does not get a chance to play. Now I saw the Mike D. break and run the set out on Johny Archer and it was something to see but as good as that was it does not show the fans who the best player is. See in golf every player has to chance to win via their play on the course, Basketball, Football, Soccer, Hockey, Darts, etc............... when a person/team scores the other person/team is given the ball, puck etc... and given their chance to show what they can do. I like winner breaks for all the reason everyone else already mentioned however alternating breaks puts pool more in line with other sports.