PDA

View Full Version : Gambling question?

pooljunkie4ever
06-02-2011, 01:22 PM
Would you gamble with someone if the last time you played he quit after the second set. Scenerio below.

A friend and I are practing, person comes over and ask me if I want to play 100 or 200$ sets. I said, flip it. The person wins the 1st set, than I trash him the second set, I say call it, he tells me I quit.

Just wondering, if I see this person again, and he ask to play, should I. I am thinking I should but make sure I win the 1st set, lol.

Strike First
06-02-2011, 01:42 PM
Maybe ask for a set amount of games to be played.. that is if you think you have the upper hand and will win most of them :D

rossaroni
06-02-2011, 01:47 PM
He quit even...I have heard and seen much worse.:(

If you think you have the best of it, I would definitely play him again.

master9baller
06-02-2011, 01:57 PM
Would you gamble with someone if the last time you played he quit after the second set. Scenerio below.

A friend and I are practing, person comes over and ask me if I want to play 100 or 200$ sets. I said, flip it. The person wins the 1st set, than I trash him the second set, I say call it, he tells me I quit.

Just wondering, if I see this person again, and he ask to play, should I. I am thinking I should but make sure I win the 1st set, lol.

Looks like you met a "lock artist", we have lots of them. These guys will never give you the chance to get ahead of them. Pretty sad when your breaking even makes them think they can't win. Typical lack of heart really. Don't be surprised if next time that player asks for weight, saying that your play is too strong.

Be sure to treat him similiarly, so that you don't go off losing several sets on a bad day and never be given the opportunity to recoup the loss because of locksmithing. As stated above make him play the first to win 2 out of 3 sets for X, or a minimum of 3 sets no matter what. They quit with headaches, backaches, the wife calling, they forgot they just took their sleeping pill....you know the drill.

Mr. Wiggles
06-02-2011, 02:03 PM

He probably saw you were a better player and he just got lucky the first set. It's called gambling and anything goes unless otherwise specified before starting. He would have been within his rights to quit after the first set! He got your money and that's gambling. Don't like it don't gamble. No one has an obligation to let you win your money back. Be glad for the action and hook him into along session next time. Play him some sweat, someone has to win x amount of dollars to quit.

dardusm
06-02-2011, 02:18 PM
If you like the match up then play him. Just figure that you won't win anything from him unless you beat him the first set. I would be curious to see if he flips again if he loses the first set. You might be surprised to find out that he will lose several sets after getting down. I remember an old time player talk about odds on the money. He was referring to how much you could win from a match versus how much you would lose. It sounds like playing this guy doesn't have very good odds on the money.

Mikjary
06-02-2011, 02:24 PM
Dude, take down the cash. When you fold it and put it in your pocket, stop and think...did I make the right decision? You'll know.

Best,
Mike

elvicash
06-02-2011, 02:27 PM
"Yeah, the dude's kid doesn't have shoes, but he always quit when he was behind--he's a great guy."

Now there is the description of a real great guy that deserves to be on a hustling shirt.

Opponent wanted - one GREAT guy looking to play some nine ball sets, single without dependents preferred.

Fatboy
06-02-2011, 02:37 PM

I dont think he will play you again. He saw something he didnt like and pulled up. He probably aint comming back for more again. As it stands its his call to play again not yours, and you probably have the best of it.

Or he had to go somewhere, if that was the case he should have told you he was on short time. I doubt thats what happened.

You knocked your own game, guys that win one/lose one and stop are bad action, he aint taking any chances. And they wont lose much, 2 barrels and pull up at the most.

If he does come back for more, ask him how long he can play and raise the bet, so if you only win one and he pulls up at least you win more $$$.

Like is was said in a post before this "I have seen worse things happen", he really didnt do any thing wrong. he won, lost got smart and pulled up.

1on1pooltournys
06-02-2011, 02:39 PM

Make stipulations before you gamble, and adhere to them.

Gambling is a business, and it should be treated like nothing else.

pooljunkie4ever
06-02-2011, 02:48 PM
For the most part, all is cool between us. I don't have hard feelings. I know that if I lose, I have to pay, no biggy. Just struck me strange, he come's over to me for action, than pulls I gotta leave move. Next time, if there is a next time, I will play him a ahead set for more mule. Thanks for the advice.

Mitchxout
06-02-2011, 03:02 PM
For the most part, all is cool between us. I don't have hard feelings. I know that if I lose, I have to pay, no biggy. Just struck me strange, he come's over to me for action, than pulls I gotta leave move. Next time, if there is a next time, I will play him a ahead set for more mule. Thanks for the advice.

It's hard to say without being there but I'd guess this is typical of the guy. I wouldn't play him again unless I had the nuts. And even then....

Fatboy
06-02-2011, 03:08 PM
Make stipulations before you gamble, and adhere to them.

Gambling is a business, and it should be treated like nothing else.

thats correct, if your playing a player.

If your laying it down then its best to have a biz plan in your head but make it look accidental, that way you dont scare off a customer.

Either way its biz, its just how you make it look.

skip
06-02-2011, 03:12 PM
Pay him that's why they call it gambling. :thumbup:

master9baller
06-02-2011, 05:52 PM
Or maybe he legitimately had something to do.

Or maybe he just didn't want to play.

Maybe he air-barreled and didn't figure it was worth the risk.

Yeah, 'lock artists'--you say that like you HAVE to play him. You get locked up, it is because you let yourself get locked up.

One man's 'Lack of heart' is probably another man's 'Use of brains'.

Why do so many people have more respect for the guy who loses everything than the guy who was smart enough to quit while he was ahead or even?

"Yeah, the dude's kid doesn't have shoes, but he always quit when he was behind--he's a great guy."
What I don't respect is those that only want to play when they feel up to the task and will not engage unless they have the upper hand. Nothing better than testing yourself by playing for several hours with a skilled and determined opponent, then coming out ahead.

What was they point of this man breaking even? Playing it safe...no fun in that is there and no reward either. Sounds like the room owner was the only one who made anything there.

What's the most you've ever lost playing pool? What's the most you've ever won? For most people those amounts are similiar. You have to be willing to give if you want to get anywhere gambling. It only makes you stronger.

TheConArtist
06-02-2011, 06:30 PM
Everyone made good points

I would like to know what size table and what game was you guys playing? Wished i knew someone who liked to play for money....

D_Lewis
06-02-2011, 09:04 PM
I had a guy who I drove to his pool room *about an hour from mine*
Gave him a spot
Lost the first two sets
Won the third
THEN he quits winner! In his own room! At his request!

ironman
06-02-2011, 09:08 PM

Just my opinion but let me ask, why risk something to win nothing!

lstevedus
06-02-2011, 09:18 PM
He saw how you play. That was enough for him. These types don't lose much. He didn't do anything wrong, but I wouldn't waste any more of my time on him.

Rickw
06-02-2011, 09:31 PM
I think it's kind of silly to gamble where you live. You beat this guy, he's going to ask for a spot. You spot him and you beat him again, he's going to ask for another spot until he starts beating you. It just doesn't make sense to me to gamble where you live. JMHO.

Other than that, as long as he doesn't quit you when you're stuck, he didn't do anything wrong in my book. I doubt you'll be able to play him without giving him some kind of weight now.

xxroodoggxx
06-03-2011, 12:40 AM
next time freeze up a set amount an play sets till one wins if u both have the time that is that way there is no confusion

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk. **roo$t@r**

xxroodoggxx
06-03-2011, 12:42 AM
As in freeze up say $500 an play $100 sets etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk. **roo$t@r**

poolplayer2093
06-03-2011, 02:15 AM

if you're that set on it just tell him you'll play but on the condition that someone has to lose at least two sets before anyone quits. then post the 200

Neil
06-03-2011, 06:25 AM

pooljunkie4ever
06-03-2011, 07:03 AM
I think it's kind of silly to gamble where you live. You beat this guy, he's going to ask for a spot. You spot him and you beat him again, he's going to ask for another spot until he starts beating you. It just doesn't make sense to me to gamble where you live. JMHO.

Other than that, as long as he doesn't quit you when you're stuck, he didn't do anything wrong in my book. I doubt you'll be able to play him without giving him some kind of weight now.

Personally, I think the other way. Say a roadie come to town, you lose 1000 to him, this money is out of circulation for your city. More than likely, you will never see this guy again to have a chance to get your money back.