PDA

View Full Version : I almost killed my opponent last night at league--literally!!!

Travis3c
06-02-2011, 03:26 PM
So first match of 5 games, Im doing all the work. I start racking the balls, and I always rack the same pattern in an 8 ball rack

s
- s
s 8 -
- - s s
s - s - -

My opponent comes up to me and requests that I change the 2nd row to two stripe balls and alternate all the way around. With a stripe ball on the back corner. I held my ground and calmly ask what is wrong with the current rack. He said he was old school and liked to rack them in an alternating pattern. I told him it cant be done because either all stripes or all solids will be at the corners.

He pitched a fit and ran off to the league operator, the LO agreed with me and my opponent said he was writing the BCA on how their rule lets opponents set the rack. Anyways I break and make a ball.

I continue my run and Im in very good shape for a run out. My opponent stands up and hits the floor and goes into cardiac arrest. Ambulance comes takes him to the ER.

I felt bad all night and was telling myself I should have switched those two balls around.

cigardave
06-02-2011, 03:29 PM
So... did you make him forfeit his game(s)?

rossaroni
06-02-2011, 03:37 PM
Hope he is ok. When I was in college, I played leagues in a small town. One player died at the table at leagues one night.:(

westcoast
06-02-2011, 03:37 PM
I hope the guy recovers, but he was clearly in the wrong. No need to feel guilty about it.

TX Poolnut
06-02-2011, 03:45 PM
That was Zeus's way of telling him he was wrong.

Sarnia Shorty
06-02-2011, 03:52 PM
Instant Karma?

chevybob20
06-02-2011, 03:59 PM
A win is a win. :D

larrynj1
06-02-2011, 04:01 PM
So... did you make him forfeit his game(s)?

lmao!! i spit soda all over the keyboard.

Travis3c
06-02-2011, 04:32 PM
no I chose to play their sub on a rerack. I already felt bad about getting him worked up

manwon
06-02-2011, 04:43 PM
So first match of 5 games, Im doing all the work. I start racking the balls, and I always rack the same pattern in an 8 ball rack

s
- s
s 8 -
- - s s
s - s - -

My opponent comes up to me and requests that I change the 2nd row to two stripe balls and alternate all the way around. With a stripe ball on the back corner. I held my ground and calmly ask what is wrong with the current rack. He said he was old school and liked to rack them in an alternating pattern. I told him it cant be done because either all stripes or all solids will be at the corners.

He pitched a fit and ran off to the league operator, the LO agreed with me and my opponent said he was writing the BCA on how their rule lets opponents set the rack. Anyways I break and make a ball.

I continue my run and Im in very good shape for a run out. My opponent stands up and hits the floor and goes into cardiac arrest. Ambulance comes takes him to the ER.

I felt bad all night and was telling myself I should have switched those two balls around.

I don't think you did anything wrong at all, sounds like the was Heart attack waiting to happen. Hopefully he will learn to control his emotions better, which will ultimately be good for his health.

Take care

ctyhntr
06-02-2011, 04:53 PM
That was a common rack setup with old house rules. When I play 8-ball outside of league, I remember to point out the differences in BCA rules; 1 stripe/1 solid at each corner, table still open if you drop balls, and ball in hand anywhere after the break.

Poolhalljunkie
06-02-2011, 04:54 PM
Was this at Sharkey's in Lancaster?

SirNoobs
06-02-2011, 05:04 PM
I always rack like that, then 4/10 my opponent comes over and rearranges the balls like your opponent wants them, alternating stripe-solids, as I tighten and push the rack onto the spot. :angry:

RunoutJJ
06-02-2011, 05:30 PM
I heard Bucktooth faked a heart attack once to get out of a bad game. I could be wrong but I wouldnt doubt it :lol:

On a more serious note i do hope he's o.k Although maybe he should stop being old school because aparently the old school way of pool is dead :rolleyes:

Here's a good story for ya:

Once I was working as a server in this crap hole italian joint and i get this table of blue hairs. They started off fine but as the courses of the food came out the more crabby this one old lady became. Complaining about the soup and there's too much dressing and the lighting isnt right :rolleyes: Holy crap i was fumming but I kept that crap I HATE YOU smile on :) :lol:

Long story short ive had it up to here with her ridiculous demands and making me run back and forth llike her whipping boy. So i whisper under my breath in the server station...

"I hope you choke on it!! Take the blue out of your hair and put it back in your veins you old crow!!!"

Not ten seconds later you hear a comotion coming from the table with "OH...OH...SHE'S CHOKING!!! HELP HER!!!!" :eek:

Sure enough the ambulance shows up and she's hooked up the the respirator and wheeled out to the hospital.. I can take a good amount of abuse from unruly customers but there are the ones that make you wish. We all think this in the business but its just that... Stressed out thoughts adn words.. I never would wish harm on any human being no matter how much i dislike them but you got to admit... As much as I hated her i did feel awful about it :( Up until happy hour where the whole bar almost choked from laughing about it :lol:

GoldCrown
06-02-2011, 05:40 PM
Not your fault

Papa Red
06-02-2011, 06:14 PM
Was his name Earl? LOL

Travis3c
06-03-2011, 07:08 AM
Was this at Sharkey's in Lancaster?

Yep it was

flash5153
06-03-2011, 07:28 AM
We all have a pretty good idea that it wasn't because of the way you racked. But ,,ummm,, when you made a ball,,that was it!!:)
Hope he is OK!!

If it happens again ,,no one is going to want to play you!!:D

Get_A_Grip
06-03-2011, 07:42 AM
With situations like that, you also find out quickly if you are the type of person that is good with dealing with spontaneous emergency situations.

I had a similar thing happen. The very first league that I joined, I had a partner that was in his late 60's, and who was short and stocky. We both loved pool. We weren't in league at the time, but just playing pool at a bar. One second he's standing next to be sipping his drink, and the next second he falls over like a log right there in front of me.

I found out that I am NOT the person to depend on for resuscitation or medical help. I was calm though, but just looked around and told the bartender that they should probably think about calling 9-1-1. A nice lady bartender jumped into action, felt for his pulse elevated his legs, and held his head.

As is turns out, my partner has low blood pressure. When he coughed, he cut off the oxygen to his head and he passed out. This has happened numerous times before to him, but he never told me or warned me about this. He eventually came too....and everything was fine -- he just had a bump on his head from falling. I believe that we even resumed playing pool after that "close call". HA!

alstl
06-03-2011, 07:50 AM
Any that's exactly why I don't like leagues. I'm there to have fun and some people take it way to seriously.

westcoast
06-03-2011, 07:50 AM
no I chose to play their sub on a rerack. I already felt bad about getting him worked up

You guys continued to play? Seems like the match should have been cancelled for the night. How could his teammates play? They must have been very concerned about his health

hunger strike
06-03-2011, 07:55 AM
lmao!! i spit soda all over the keyboard.

yeah, if I had soda in my mouth when I read this I would have spewed as well. I hope he posts good ones like this more often. That being said, isn't the forfeit a given? Maybe you should have turned one of the striped balls to where it was striped from your vantage point and solid from his, or vice versa. Now that's a good compromise. They need to make a one ball that's spotted to help those with life-endangering levels of OCD. If you don't know how bad OCD can get, my former boss had a neighbor who owned a huge corner lot and cut her entire lawn on all fours with scissors. When she got to one end the other had grown back..... If you don't know how FUNNY OCD can be, then look up the Squidbillies episode where the serial killer squid locks up and can't kill grandma..... "because nobody ever let me get to 33 before"

jimmyg
06-03-2011, 07:58 AM
Yep, the old "heart attack rack", if you know on whom, and when, to pull it, it works pretty often. :D

J

JoeyA
06-03-2011, 08:22 AM
Don't fret over your decision and the decision of the league operator.

The heart attack had nothing to do with your decisions.

The guy just had a bad heart and a bad attitude.

You are all good as far as this is concerned.......and don't forget that.

jsp
06-03-2011, 10:43 AM
I call BS on this entire story. No teammate in their right mind, or at least one with a sliver of compassion, would continue playing if one of their teammates is close to death. Story is false or vastly exaggerated.

Poolhalljunkie
06-03-2011, 04:22 PM
I was there seen the paramedics me and sme buddies were like WTH. When we seen them roll in witht he stretcher and all their gear.

Travis3c
06-03-2011, 07:11 PM
i guarantee the story is not false, as soon as the ambulance left. The room went back to playing. His teamates were looking for a sub during all the commotion.

Roadking
06-03-2011, 07:19 PM
Do you use kamui chalk?

worktheknight
06-03-2011, 07:37 PM
I can almost relate with you. Playing in a state tournament, I scratched from the break, waited for cue ball to come out the table (bar box), picked it out of the hole and handed it to my opponent coming to the table. I changed my break two games later and drew it back into the corner pocket where I caught it and turned to hand the cue ball to my opponent who had not got his butt of his chair yet and he went ballistic yelling and causing a scene because I was handing him the cue ball. Long story short, he couldn't get out and when I was up 4-0 in a race to 5, he starts sharking me. Ticked me off and I start the color of money treatment (Mcgrady Style) on him, making a ball, talking out loud to drown him out as I took over and ran that table. He was so mad that when his wife finally said something to him, I thought he was going to something real bad. Operators stepped in and tossed him from the tournament on the spot. Sadly, it would not have suprised me if he would have dropped to the floor. Sometimes, folks get real short tempered and have no patience at the onslaught of a major medical situation. This easily could have been your situation. You were just fine and did nothing wrong. As they say, wrong place...wrong time. Hope he recovers and finds his patience again. All will be good hopefully.

PaulieB
06-04-2011, 04:26 AM
I wonder how they chose the substitute. I know if my captain asked the team "Ok, who wants to play the guy who just killed his last opponent?" there would be a whole lot of "NOT IT!" replies, heh.

chefjeff
06-04-2011, 05:27 AM
I thought random placement of all but the 8, the two insiders different, and one each on the corner was the rule? Everthing else is random, right?

I racked random ('cept the above rules) the other night and my opponent complained about too many solids together on one side and he asked me to rearrange the balls. I said but the rules say random. He didn't care about that.

So, I reracked them exactly as he wanted them. I would have put them anyway he wanted them, no matter how. I'd have put them in a straight line if he wanted it that way.

Then I beat him.

Jeff Livingston

justadub
06-04-2011, 05:39 AM
I always thought you were supposed to have a solid in one corner and a stripe in the other. And to mix up the rest as best possible. As such, I got into the habit of a particular sequence, and I guess I'm OCD enough that I rack the same way every time. (I even started putting the same balls in the corner. Something I started one night when a friend seemed to be putting in the same corner ball three rails every break. It was fun to see and I wanted to make it easier to track, so I kept putting the three there. That stuck, too.

st st
so 8 st
st so st so
3 st so so 9

No one has given me any grief about it, and I rack a lot! :p

OP, you did nothing wrong. Must've been a crazy night. Hopefully your opponent makes a swift recovery, and you'll have a story to tell forever.

Travis3c
06-04-2011, 10:25 AM
i talked to him the following day, hes not doing to good. He apologized to me and then I gave him an apology for working him up. He is a regular and I was very surprised that the racking issue came up. He said Im the only person in the room that racks exactly the same every rack and he thought i was setting the rack to my advantage.

I rack the same even if Im racking for my opponent also.

rackem
06-04-2011, 11:02 AM
Actually I think although legal your rack pattern is a little bit lopsided.
This is more like it should be.
s
-s
s8-
-s-s
s-ss-

Travis3c
06-04-2011, 11:10 AM
Actually I think although legal your rack pattern is a little bit lopsided.
This is more like it should be.
s
-s
s8-
-s-s
s-ss-

LOL, I have seen this in some bars around here.

rackem
06-04-2011, 11:31 AM
Opps, I meant this.
s
-s
s8-
-s-s
s--s-

Luxury
06-04-2011, 01:22 PM
Kind of related: one of our Kitsap county BCA players got shoved and his head landed on a curb a couple weeks ago and he is still in a coma while his wife just had their first child.

Really tragic. Be thankful for what you have everyday.