PDA

View Full Version : I phone break ap

dirtydog48
06-02-2011, 08:30 PM
Just got ap today and was surprised that very few could break 20mph. I know some pros can aproach 30mph. What are some average speeds around your room? It is a fun ap, if you don't have it, it is only $4.99. A lot cheaper than a radar gun!

Drew
06-02-2011, 08:46 PM
Yeah but it doesn't work on my Motorola Atrix.

brandoncook26
06-02-2011, 08:52 PM
The average pro break is around 21 mph. If you can do that and control the cue ball, you have a very good break. Anything above 23, with control, I would consider an exceptional break.

measureman
06-02-2011, 08:57 PM
I tried that break app with an old Dufferin standard cue and was able to stay in the 19 to 19.50 range.

dirtydog48
06-02-2011, 09:02 PM
I would have thought much higher than 21. It is a great tool if you want to see how little changes can affect speed. We actually found greater speeds breaking just off the head rail.

brandoncook26
06-02-2011, 09:17 PM
The key word is CONTROL. I know a bunch of people that can get mid 20's but the cue is likely to go off the table. If it stays on, there is no telling where it would end up. Being able to squat the cb in the center takes a lot of work, especially at those higher speeds.

StrokeAnalyzer
06-02-2011, 09:18 PM
Dont have an iphone? Check out StrokeAnalyzer break speed measurement on your pc/laptop.

peppersauce
06-02-2011, 09:31 PM

branpureza
06-02-2011, 09:42 PM
I can average right around 30 mph, I think my highest was 33.85, I haven't used that app in a while though because my most effective 10-ball break is only around 20 mph.

In this video I hit them 30 with an old house cue. It's a pretty cool app but I never break that hard in real play.

http://www.youtube.com/user/branpureza#p/u/7/bHwGJWNhwkk

DirtyIrish
06-02-2011, 10:14 PM
Just got ap today and was surprised that very few could break 20mph. I know some pros can aproach 30mph. What are some average speeds around your room? It is a fun ap, if you don't have it, it is only $4.99. A lot cheaper than a radar gun!
can you tell me the name of the app I have an IPhone 3GS
Thanks
DirtyIrish

wontonny
06-02-2011, 10:30 PM
I can average right around 30 mph, I think my highest was 33.85, I haven't used that app in a while though because my most effective 10-ball break is only around 20 mph.

In this video I hit them 30 with an old house cue. It's a pretty cool app but I never break that hard in real play.

HAHAHA your friend says, "He's a.....wuss."

Thanks
DirtyIrish

It's called Break Speed

Masayoshi
06-03-2011, 01:12 AM
My break tops out at 23 mph on the break app, but my normal break is 19-20.

brandoncook26
06-03-2011, 07:24 AM

That's exactly what I was talking about. My highest is 30.94, but playing 10 ball I stay right between 20-21. I can keep the cueball in the middle of the table at that speed; any harder and I'm just swinging it. I'm working on upping that to around 23-24, but with control it will probably take me at least a year or two to be consistent.

SpiderWebComm
06-03-2011, 07:42 AM
My break tops out at 23 mph on the break app, but my normal break is 19-20.

Same here. I can't get above 23 no matter what-- and I feel as though I'm REALLY swinging fast. Brandon-- give me a swing thought or technique to work on. I'm impressed.

brandoncook26
06-03-2011, 08:33 AM
Same here. I can't get above 23 no matter what-- and I feel as though I'm REALLY swinging fast. Brandon-- give me a swing thought or technique to work on. I'm impressed.

Hey Dave, which Brandon you talking to, lol? I'll tell you something that helped me. I've noticed when people (myself included) try to break hard, they tend to try to muscle through which doesn't really work. When I started tearing down my break, I noticed I was trying to power up my arm. When I tried to muscle through it, both my bicep and tricep were contracting, which was really slowing me down. Opposing muscles will cancel each other out.

Stick your arm out, flex, and try to stop someone from bending your elbow. They will be able to bend it easily. Now stick your arm out and attempt to grab something out of reach; they won't be able to bend your elbow. The first example is opposing muscles contracting. The second, your bicep is relaxed and it is very difficult for someone to bend your arm.

Breaking is the opposite of the example above. The tricep has to be relaxed for the bicep to work at maximum function. I'm sure this is common knowledge (as in the pause in SPF), but many people forget this when breaking. Make a conscious effort to relax your arm and you will increase your speed.

I'm sure you already know this, but really concentrating on it helped me increase my power. You can increase power with your hips even more, but it is worthless if your arm movement isn't at maximum power (it is afterall what is holding the cue).

Hope that helps. I apologize if it seems elementary. I have a friend who is an A player and has a C break. This seemed to help him.

nelldrake
06-03-2011, 09:35 AM
Thanks
DirtyIrish
It is called Break Speed and works great on my iPhone 3GS at home and in the pool hall if there are few people shooting near you. Once the pool hall starts filling up the app doesn't work. It picks up too much other noise.

branpureza
06-03-2011, 09:38 AM
That's exactly what I was talking about. My highest is 30.94, but playing 10 ball I stay right between 20-21. I can keep the cueball in the middle of the table at that speed; any harder and I'm just swinging it. I'm working on upping that to around 23-24, but with control it will probably take me at least a year or two to be consistent.

I can break in the upper 20's with good control but in 10 ball I think anything above the low 20's is too hard. At about 20mph the second row of balls has the best chance of going in the sides and the 1 ball has just the right speed to inch back within a foot of the top corner allowing for easy position.

bookmd
07-03-2011, 06:20 PM
does apple make a version for the imac? took a gander in the app store but couldnt find anything. and i dont think android has anything either.

hang-the-9
07-03-2011, 08:49 PM
does apple make a version for the imac? took a gander in the app store but couldnt find anything. and i dont think android has anything either.

Apple does not make this, they hardly make anyting in their app store actually.

http://www.mybreakspeed.com/

BrokeStroke
07-04-2011, 03:05 AM
I average a 26.41 mph break. Not the best control, but I keep the CB towards the center of the table a decent amount of time.

My fastest break was 36.08. That is with the cue ball and a wing ball flying off the table.

I did break a 44.2 once...but i accidently had the settings on a 9 foot table while breaking on my buddy's bar box

bookmd
07-04-2011, 03:49 AM
thank you sir. i will get on that soon as possible.

hang-the-9
07-04-2011, 08:42 PM
I tested this app against a real device made for speed testing, in almost all cases the two measurement were off by at least 10%, sometimes way more. So not sure how accurate this is, at least in a real pool room as opposed to a quiet house table.

scottjen26
07-05-2011, 09:11 AM
I'm consistently around 24.5 mph +- 1 mph for my normal 9 ball break and I feel I can hit that speed with a good amount of CB control. I definitely hit them slower based on the table and will use a cut break or medium speed break if it means balls are dropping at that speed.

I have yet to get up past 26 - I think I'm still trying to maintain control when I'm measuring, I think if I just went after it I could squeeze a few extra mph out of it. Definitely takes coordinated movements that are well timed to get up around 30...
Scott

akaTrigger
07-05-2011, 09:45 AM
lol, i read the title too fast and thought it said, "I phone break up." :embarrassed2:

skybitter
07-05-2011, 10:31 AM
if you have above 20 mph does it mean you already have a good break?

bookmd
07-05-2011, 02:48 PM
if you have above 20 mph does it mean you already have a good break?

not if you shoot whitey on the floor or can't control him after contact with the rack

Antfarm
07-05-2011, 06:16 PM
I remember when I first read about this app about a year ago... I downloaded it and let me pool team try it out during one of our practice sessions. I was excited. I learned about it from a video on youtube where the guy was consistantly breaking at 35mph. He had a monster break and the video was about him trying to teach people how to crush a rack. It was a good video.

So my team used it multiple times and most of us were between 18-22. I stuck right around 18-19 for every break. One guy did top out at 25 on numerous occasions. The funny thing is though.... my break was almost always the best...

Why? CUE BALL CONTROL! People want to crush the rack as hard as they can but they don't give a damn about controlling whitey. I smack the rack and almost always bring the ball back to center table. I would way that 75-80% of the time I'm dropping a ball in 8-ball and I've got from the center of the table and out to work with. I consider this pretty decent stats. Especially when everyone else on the team was more like 50%. In 9-ball, I'm droping a ball 85-90% of the time and I typically break softer, 16-17mph. But, I still always control the cue ball. It's funny when I hear my teammates wonder why I'm so difficult to beat in 9-ball or even 8-ball.

So much of the game relies on starting off on the right foot. Don't put yourself in a hole by getting out of control early and only worrying about how fast you hit the damn rack!