PDA

View Full Version : professional practice

jcpoolgod
06-03-2011, 06:17 PM
I was wondering ...has anyone ever heard of what the pros do for practice...like what kind of work ethics they have.....how much they work....what they do......who is your favorite....and what do they do?

TurdFerguson
06-03-2011, 09:59 PM
Stephen Hendry's practice schedule was 9-11:30 drills and practice alone. Then from about 1 until 3 or 4 each day he would "spar" against one of the other top ranked pros.

jungledude
06-03-2011, 11:01 PM
I'm friends of hundreds of pro players and with the exception of just a few dedicated guys, most rarely practice and are a bit lazy to be honest.
A lot don't use their God given ability as they should and take their game for granted. Since I've been known to stake many of them, this laziness has cost me a bundle, but I enjoyed most of it anyway, lol .

johnnyutah
06-03-2011, 11:09 PM
i'm friends of hundreds of pro players and with the exception of just a few dedicated guys, most rarely practice and are a bit lazy to be honest.
A lot don't use their god given ability as they should and take their game for granted. Since i've been known to stake many of them, this laziness has cost me a bundle, but i enjoyed most of it anyway, lol .

did you really mean hundreds?

softshot
06-03-2011, 11:17 PM
they don't need to practice... they have nice cues

SirNoobs
06-04-2011, 12:15 AM
Come to think of it, I don't see any of the strong players in the pool hall practice drills. They seem to just scatter a 10 ball rack on the table and run them. Then they'll get bored and stop.

Jason Koopman
06-04-2011, 05:47 AM
Ghost ball, straight pool, matching up etc. And many put a lot of practice time working on their break (or rack... but that's another story).

ratnip
06-04-2011, 08:15 PM
Not me but seen a top player throw out the balls and run them in order 1-15 consistently (approx 40% of the time). Seemed to helped him as he would bring the heat to any player he played.

Hope this helps.

Jay P.

dave_k
06-04-2011, 08:37 PM
They dont seem too need the practice that the average players need, they just like keeling their strokes in check

jungledude
06-04-2011, 09:02 PM
You got to realize I've been around pool halls for well over 50 years, so there is hundreds, lol.

Rickw
06-04-2011, 09:48 PM
If they're matching up a lot, they get a lot of practice just playing don't they?

easy-e
06-04-2011, 11:02 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eGDBR2L5kzI

Mike Davis
06-05-2011, 02:31 AM
Thanks easy for posting the AI clip from utube, that's good stuff.
I can't speak for everyone but I think as a general rule players practice a lot when they are new to the game and less as they become good at it. There was a period of time when I used to practice about 60 hours/week but now it's more like 15. My interest was higher then. I had a ton of drive. If I'm having a day where I zone in and play hard I try to play as long as I can. Other days I'll quit fairly quickly so as not to develop bad habits if I can't focus very hard. I must say though that with only a few exceptions the best players become the best by being under pressure, either gambling or tournaments, as often as possible. Practice itself will only get you so far.

skip
06-05-2011, 04:44 AM
they don't need to practice... they have nice cues

Gosh, I hear the same thing. That's why I am saving up $3000.00 for a South West Cue, then I would be the best. I just need $2975.00 more. :thumbup:

vincentwu817
06-15-2011, 01:08 AM
I can only speak for Taiwanese professional pool players as I have not met any here yet. I've seen Yang Ching Shun run some drills on extremely tough shots - cue ball stuck on end rail, ball on head spot, and practice position play under that circumstance. This is all done on pockets that fit one and a half balls, maybe around 3 7/8 inch pockets. I've also see him play with other guys that work in the pool rooms. He plays a lot of of a Taiwanese carom game where there are 4 balls - 2 red 1 yellow and one cue ball. The objective is to use the cue ball to make contact with one red and one yellow, then if he makes that, he goes for both reds, then the last shot the cue ball has to touch all three. Here's an example of the third shot (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I9WgXTnzpXg). Honestly, I rarely see him play 9 ball.