PDA

View Full Version : I want to buy a cue!

Busy Kitty
04-27-2003, 01:08 PM
I have just recently started to play pool and I am going to make my first investment in buying a cue. Can someone please explain what the differance is with all these cues and why they range in price so much.

Paul Hanson
04-27-2003, 03:46 PM
:cool: I think that after selling cue for eight years...buy one from a reputable dealer who promises to back it up. Get a 19oz, 13mm tip in the $150 price range (USD) and you should be able to keep it forever...some good brands we've had success with are Viking, Falcon, Scorpion. Paul Hanson

Pop And Slop
04-27-2003, 10:04 PM
Well, unlike Mr.Hanson, I would not suggest EXACTLY what size and weight to buy as not everyone likes heavy cues or large tips. A cue is an extension of your skill and should be custom to your tastes. The feel as it slides through your fingers and the size of the tip as you sight down the cue can have a major affect on your shot if you are not comfortable. I suggest you go to a cue dealer and try out a few different cues and different styles. some people prefer Irish linen rather than smooth or leather wrap. But I will agree that you should not spend more than 150$ on a new cue because as your skill and experience grows you will come to know how you play and the cue you buy today may not fit the profile you will want.
Normally for first time buyers I suggest a Viking or a Duffrin if you like the feel of wood but you have to be careful not to drop it or knock it against the table. If you are not very careful and you would rather a smooth finish I suggest a Cuetec. The Earl Strickland model is very popular and very robust. I've seen people get really angry and wack the table and not damage the cue in the least.
A lot of the price difference in cues is the wormanship and brand name. I assume that demand in a cue also plays a part in the price. Anything over a few hundred dolars and you are paying for the wormanship alone.

Jay

Nineball King
04-27-2003, 11:48 PM
I have alot of nice cues on my site. If you see anything you like, give me call at 1-888-922-5588 and I will give you a super deal.

Nineballking.com, Where the customer is King!

Kevin Whitt
www.nineballking.com

Paul Hanson
04-28-2003, 08:30 AM
I don't know where your big house is, but we can mail cues. We have many in stock and have sold to people in all sizes of houses.
Paul in Calgary.:)

Ted Harris
04-28-2003, 01:47 PM
Busy Kitty,
Just thought I would let you know that 13mm and 19 oz is about the most common size and weight used. You may find out that 13mm is a little big, but there is a standard rule involved, "you can make it smaller, but you cannot make it bigger." Whatever you buy, use it for a good 40 hours or so before you decide to alter it. You may find out that you like it fine just the way it comes. If you decide to change the taper or weight, you can let the CCB know what area you are in, and someone here will recommend a qualified repair person or cuemaker in your area. Good luck!;) :D