PDA

View Full Version : Lesser Quality Video Interest?

Cornerman
02-03-2006, 09:06 AM
I'm trying to gauge the actual interest in converting the VHS-C taped one-pocket match between Efren and Corey during a late hour session at the DCC. It was a race to 8, and I caught the last 7 or 8 games in full.

Would people actually buy this if it were in MPG format (MPEG-4 or something)? Would people rather it be converted to DVD? Or, since it's less quality than Accustats, would there be any interest at all?

Fred

Hal
02-03-2006, 09:37 AM
I'm trying to gauge the actual interest in converting the VHS-C taped one-pocket match between Efren and Corey during a late hour session at the DCC. It was a race to 8, and I caught the last 7 or 8 games in full.

Would people actually buy this if it were in MPG format (MPEG-4 or something)? Would people rather it be converted to DVD? Or, since it's less quality than Accustats, would there be any interest at all?

Fred
Put it on DVD in MPEG-4 format. The quality will be above average. It's a few notches below DVD quality. You didn't digitally record it so you will not get DVD quality no matter what you do.

I have a video capture device (Tigerdirect.com about $15.00) that captures video in MPEG-4. The quality is not bad at all. I capture programs from DIRECTV to my PC. Then make a DVD.

StevenPWaldon
02-03-2006, 09:57 AM
I'd buy it as long as the picture quality is somewhat decent. Give us a few screen captures if possible.

S.

Fred

Hal
02-03-2006, 10:04 AM
I have some old Instructional DVDs that were transferred from VHS onto DVD. They are very watchable. MPEG-2 and MPEG-4 will be drastically better than those.

EDIT: To answer your question, I'd probably buy it.

Cornerman
02-03-2006, 11:45 AM
I have a video capture device (Tigerdirect.com about $15.00) that captures video in MPEG-4. The quality is not bad at all. I capture programs from DIRECTV to my PC. Then make a DVD.
Dumb question alert: Will the format be playable on a DVD player?

So far, I've captured the video to my harddrive.

Hal
02-03-2006, 11:51 AM

It will play on a large percentage of DVD players. There will always be some that won't play it. The software you use has a lot to do with it. I use Arcsoft, Nero, ULead, and others. As long as you give it the NTSC (I think that's what it's called) format, it should be OK.

iacas
02-03-2006, 02:01 PM

DVD players (i.e. those not hooked up to the computer) require video in the DVD standard. That's MPEG-2, yada yada. Any software that burns such a "video DVD" converts whatever movie format it has (such as DV, like in iMovie) to MPEG-2 for use on the DVD itself.

As a data DVD, computers should play a .mp4 file just fine. QuickTime understands it well enough, and it's a default format for video iPods, even.

But an MPEG-4 video on a DVD won't play in a regular old DVD player hooked up to a TV, no.