PDA

View Full Version : Is the SuperBilliardsExpo really that great?

raemondo
02-04-2006, 12:36 AM
Hi guys,

I'm looking for some advice here....I'm considering going to the SBE at VF but I don't know if it will be worth the time, trouble and money....I'm in IL so PA is a ways away. I will also only be able to be there for just a day or two if I'm going.

I just went to the DCC and I saw many vendors there, my question is, is VF kinda the same? I also looked up on the website and saw a list of the vendors that have committed to be there, and most of them were at the DCC too. Also, I also noticed that not too many "famous" cuemakers have registered to go yet....I was hoping to see some really nice cues being showcased. There don't seem to be that many pool playing events to watch like that at the DCC....

I guess one of my aims in going to VF would be to see if any (cheap) customs catch my eye, but if most of them have the same stock as what they had at the DCC, I don't really see a point. Of course, I'd love to also maybe take part in some of the tourneys, and see some great money games.

So for those who've been to VF before, is it really worth the trip?????

thanks!

cueball1950
02-04-2006, 12:47 AM
definately worth the trip.............JMHO>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>mike

cgriffin5
02-04-2006, 08:12 AM
It is worth it. Trust me. It gets better every year.

pooltchr
02-04-2006, 08:21 AM
This is one show EVERY pool player should attend at least once. Odds are, you will be planning a return trip while you are on your way home!
Steve

pillage6
02-04-2006, 08:27 AM
It is by far the best retail show to go to, every custom cue maker (in person), case maker, collecter, player, broker and pro is there. Non-stop action and a decent club downstairs, the only thing that really sticks out as bad is the service at the coffee shop.

Barbara
02-04-2006, 08:54 AM
Yes, it is the best!! Trust me, you won't be disappointed!!

Barbara

ceebee
02-04-2006, 08:59 AM
Hi guys, I'm looking for some advice here....I'm considering going to the SBE at VF but I don't know if it will be worth the time, trouble and money....!

God, I know so, I was there 2 years ago as a spectator. We're going & we live in Oklahoma... 1250 mile trip, one way. We'll be gone 8 days. I didn't get to play in any of the tournaments, but seeing all the greats is a nifty weekend trip.

There will be lots of things to see, lots of people to meet & some things to take home with you, some are expensive, but worth it. The experience is definitely worth your time & money.

Barbara
02-04-2006, 09:03 AM
God, I know so, I was there 2 years ago as a spectator. We're going & we live in Oklahoma... 1250 mile trip, one way. We'll be gone 8 days. I didn't get to play in any of the tournaments, but seeing all the greats is a nifty weekend trip.

There will be lots of things to see, lots of people to meet & some things to take home with you, some are expensive, but worth it. The experience is definitely worth your time & money.

ceebee,

You mean you're not going to have a booth for your Break Rack?? My break really, really sucks and I was going to check out your product this year. Are you selling it anywhere at the Expo?

Barbara

Eydie Romano
02-04-2006, 11:33 AM
YES! GO!It's the best event of the year!

Paul Mon
02-04-2006, 11:38 AM
Is the SuperBilliardsExpo really that great?

Yes it is. Is it better than DCC? Depends on what you're looking to do. There are definitely more vendors at VF. The rooms are overpriced at VF. The action is nonstop at DCC. It is easier find a table to play pool (9' Diamonds) at DCC any time of day or night. VF does not have anything other than barboxes for you to play on when available. You will see many more players, legends and young guns, at DCC. There are many more poolhalls, shopping and dining options available nearby VF. You should attend and make your own decision.

Paul Mon.............Hope this helped

pharaoh68
02-04-2006, 12:12 PM
First the short answer YES! it's well worth it.
Second you won't find the Elite cuemakers at any show other then an ICC show and even then you don't get to see many cues because they sell all they make and don't have an ability to stock pile them. You'll see more nice cues at some of the dealers booths like Conerstone, Cueaddicts and Pool table magic.
Third there will be some top guys there who just go to press the flesh and see old friends a few names that come to mind would be Barry Szamboti, Bill Schick, Mike Bender and Tim Scruggs, all will be there but none have a booth, and they won't have any cues either, but their work will be represented at the show I'm sure.

Jim

A friend of mine has booth down there and he deals in rather high ened cues. Several of these guys will be at his booth and so will some of there cues. In fact, he just got a new Bender in a few days ago and I have to say that it is so beautiful, I'd be afraid to play with it!!! Trust me, you won't be disappointed by the SBE.

billlaur
02-04-2006, 12:52 PM
Hi guys,

I'm looking for some advice here....I'm considering going to the SBE at VF but I don't know if it will be worth the time, trouble and money....I'm in IL so PA is a ways away. I will also only be able to be there for just a day or two if I'm going.

I just went to the DCC and I saw many vendors there, my question is, is VF kinda the same? I also looked up on the website and saw a list of the vendors that have committed to be there, and most of them were at the DCC too. Also, I also noticed that not too many "famous" cuemakers have registered to go yet....I was hoping to see some really nice cues being showcased. There don't seem to be that many pool playing events to watch like that at the DCC....

I guess one of my aims in going to VF would be to see if any (cheap) customs catch my eye, but if most of them have the same stock as what they had at the DCC, I don't really see a point. Of course, I'd love to also maybe take part in some of the tourneys, and see some great money games.

So for those who've been to VF before, is it really worth the trip?????

thanks!
SO I GUESS YOU KNOW WHAT TO DO NOW.....GET YOUR BUTT OVER THERE AND STOP WHINNING...

wastateqman
02-04-2006, 02:44 PM
I live clear out here in Seattle, WA. I've gone three out of the last 4 years. Funny thing to is I don't even play in a Tap League. So what does that say!!! I plan on going this year if work permits my time away. Something for everyone there. Cues, tournaments ( Am. & Pro ), Action. Did I say that ACTION all the time. All day, and night. Couple of great rooms in the area to if you get a rental car. If you haven't gone yet go at least once than let us know here what you think. Just my thoughts. Hopefully JAM will comment on here to.

Cornerman
02-04-2006, 02:50 PM

Maybe the information hasn't been updated, but pretty much everything you've written above is incorrect (I mean, what you think won't be there is incorrect.)

Here's the latest list: Super Billiards Expo Exhibitor List (http://www.superbilliardsexpo.com/exhibitor_list2006.html)

There are 20 times more vendors at Valley Forge.

There are much more cuemaker booths at Valley Forge. It's not even remotely close to the few vendors at the Derby City Classic.

For "famous cuemakers," Valley Forge is the place to go. It isn't even a close horse race, if that's your interest.

Nice cues??? Other than the International Cue show, there isn't another show that showcases high-end cues like Valley Forge. Again, not even close.

And... there doesn't seem to be many pool playing events to watch??? It's non-stop amateur tournaments for 5 days, and a professional tournament. It's Professional 8-ball this year, something they've had in the past. This isn't the action and open tournament showcase like the Derby City, but it's the second best pool barrage of the year.

After you go, you'll look back at your post and laugh. Seriously. The SuperBilliardExpo is THAT good.

Fred

Timberly
02-04-2006, 03:23 PM
After you go, you'll look back at your post and laugh. Seriously. The SuperBilliardExpo is THAT good.

Fred
Yeah, what Fred said! :p I go to Philly every Easter and on my way home I stop by the Radisson in VF and make reservations. As soon as I get back to work on the Monday after VF, I tell my supervisor the dates that I'll need off next March. ;)

I just went to the DCC and I saw many vendors there, my question is, is VF kinda the same? I also looked up on the website and saw a list of the vendors that have committed to be there, and most of them were at the DCC too.

There don't seem to be that many pool playing events to watch like that at the DCC....
LOL, that little hallway lined with vendors.... nothing. In order to accomodate all the vendors that will be at the Expo, they would have to use the main tournament room at the DCC to fit them all in.

Everywhere you look, there's pool being played. There's a tournament area upstairs that takes up the length of the convention center. Downstairs there's another area that has more tables than the upstairs. There's also two area's blocked & curtained off for the Pro event & the Trick Shot events.

Both shows are great & it's just a matter of personal preference. Until I went to the DCC this yr, I thought the Expo was the best thing on the face of the earth. The DCC has taken over the 1st place spot for me personally. I enjoy the action and the people that the DCC attracts. I ran into to some players from TX that I haven't seen in over 10 yrs & never thought I would ever see again. The DCC is a social event for me and just about every pool player worth their grain of salt is there. That's the thing that makes it a little better for me.

I & most people agree with Fred... the Expo is definitely worth it. ESPECIALLY if you're going to check out cues. Have a safe trip & don't forget to make your reservations for next yr as soon as the dates are given. ;)

raemondo
02-04-2006, 04:36 PM
Wow guys this SBE thing must be really great to generate that many positive replies.....looks like I WILL try my best to fit this into my itinerary!

Does anyone know of cheaper accomodation around that area? I looked at the website and I think the cheapest they had was like 90 bucks per night.

I sure hope what Fred is true!

Fred

Barbara
02-04-2006, 05:23 PM
Wow guys this SBE thing must be really great to generate that many positive replies.....looks like I WILL try my best to fit this into my itinerary!

Does anyone know of cheaper accomodation around that area? I looked at the website and I think the cheapest they had was like 90 bucks per night.

Do a yellow pages search for hotels in the "King of Prussia" area. It is a pricey area as there are two very high-end malls in that location and people will come out to spend, spend, spend. Bloomies is going out of biz but Needless Markup is still there...

Barbara~~~remembers when it was one "plaza" with a Sears and an EJ Korvettes...

Timberly
02-04-2006, 06:08 PM

Do a search on JAM's posts.... there was a thread the other day where she was discussing this and named some hotels. Unless you stay about 15 miles away, your avg cost is going to be around $90... give or take $10.

Barbara mentioned the area being exspensive.... it's pretty high end over there. The large mall with all the designer stores brings in tourists... tourists with money. There's not a whole lot around there that's cheap.

Skess
02-04-2006, 08:28 PM
I started going 5 years ago for TAP and haven't missed one since. If I wasn't playing league, I'd be playing the open events.

As for the cues, I tried at least 15 different named cues last year before deciding on the custom I wanted. There are tables set up around the area just for that purpose and the cue makers were more than willing to let me try them.

As for the rooms, the last two years we have called on the ride home on Sunday to book for next year. I finally got rooms this year at the Scanticon and am looking forward to being able to go upstairs and relax between matches.

I'm already psyched about this and there are still 5+ weeks to go!

BTW, Go Steelers!

Eydie Romano
02-04-2006, 09:55 PM
Besides what everyone else has said, you get to meet all of the wonderful people of AZB that attend this event. You won't regret going, it's a blast!

sjm
02-04-2006, 10:07 PM
I've been to about seven of these, and highly recommend it.

Eydie Romano
02-04-2006, 11:03 PM
I've been to about seven of these, and highly recommend it.

SJM are you going to attend this year? I sure hope so. Or am I going to have to wait to see you in Vegas in May?

Timberly
02-05-2006, 07:58 AM
I finally got rooms this year at the Scanticon and am looking forward to being able to go upstairs and relax between matches.
I think most of the vendors stay at the Scanticon because it's much closer & easier to pack up & take back to the room. I'm going to look into staying there next yr. The friend that I always room with wanted the Radisson but after seeing a friend of mine's room at the Scanticon last yr. (they all have jacuzzi tubs), I'm going to see if my buddy will compromise & stay there next yr. It would be nice to be right there as opposed to having to walk that long hallway.