PDA

View Full Version : cue butchers??????????????

billfishhead
02-04-2006, 01:40 AM
o k i know yall have had some work done on a cue and were not satisfied. so have i.,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,but who would you consider a butcher that ruins cues. any personal horror storys ?

kokopuffs
02-04-2006, 01:56 AM
I must say that the repair people at Showcase Billiards in Denver are true butchers. I requested a tip replacement and soon thereafter received my shaft with a chipped ferrule, gouges in the shaft and a huge depression at the base of the shaft where it's locked into the chuck for turning on the lathe.

One of my friends handed his butt over to Showcase to have them fit their proprietary Predator-like shaft to it. The butt was returned with the wrap so damaged AND TORN that it hung from the butt in several places. You could literally peal the wrap off of the butt.

**** SHOWCASE for their shoddy workmanship. I wouldn't go there for ANY work done to my stick.

JoeyInCali
02-04-2006, 02:05 AM
There's a repairman I know who does not use Delrin or nylon shaft collet.
Everytime he changes tips, he puts nice railroad dents on the shafts under the ferrule.

jazznpool
02-04-2006, 02:38 AM
Joey, I think I know the same guy...and that's one of the reasons I own a lathe today!

Martin

Everytime he changes tips, he puts nice railroad dents on the shafts under the ferrule.

buddha162
02-04-2006, 03:11 AM

How the HELL does he stay in business?!

Man, if I went to pick up my shaft and it had dents all over it there'd be trouble, I gauran-fkn-tee it.

-Roger (not sure if a broken shaft can stab through a man, but will give it my best shot)

Getnbzy
02-04-2006, 03:33 AM
All I can say regarding this topic is thank god a certain "SHORT" member is gone

manwon
02-04-2006, 04:46 AM
Golden West Games in Tacoma, Washington is the place to go if you want to lose an inch in length on your shaft every-time you have a tip replaced. They are notorious for butchering peoples shafts during tip replacement.

X Breaker
02-04-2006, 05:04 AM
Mine experience was not as bad, I guess I was lucky.

It was many years ago and the place is out of business now. It used to be a very big retail store chain all over Canada.

I asked them to install a tip for me and when I went to get my shaft, I saw scratches and dents every where on the shaft most likely from the chuck of the lathes.

The people who worked there were very friendly and nice, once I mentioned those problems to them, they got right on it.

One guy got my shaft and put it between his legs as he sat down, another took out a piece of sand paper and started to sand down my shaft by hand. He was so polite and he never once forgot to keep a smile on his face, "don't worry, this would not take away anything but the dirts," seeing the look on my face, he added, "we do this on our cues all the time, see...we know what we are doing!" He took out a cue from the rack and showed it to me. With a soothing voice, he assured me, "you really have nothing to worry about!"

They were not just quick, they even gave me a discount afterwards! They only charged me $10 for the tip, and the extra cleaning(sanding) on the shaft was "on the house" as they put it.

When he returned the shaft back to me, the dents and scratches were all gone! It was amazing! And my shaft was really clean! Even the finish just above the joint collar was partially gone as well so it felt smoother than before!

I could still sort of locate where the dents were when I rolled the shaft on the table as it started to wobble, but the point was they removed the dents and cleaned up my shaft and it was free!

After this educational experience, I started to learn how to do my own tip, my leather wrap, and eventually, how to build cues.

Thanks a lot guys!

Richard

kokopuffs
02-04-2006, 05:20 AM
There's people who label themselves as tip replacers and who haven't a clue as to woodworking and abrasives. They're sooo stupid it makes me puke.

skins
02-04-2006, 05:53 AM
i gave an early 8 point josswest cue to burton spain to refinnish and when i got the cue back the butt was sanded down at least 30 to 40 thousanths, the stainless joint still had the sand marks (never polished), the wrap area was never lathed to match the finnish so the wrap stuck up way above the finnish, which was absolutely horrible, and the shafts which were full 13mm shafts were now 12mm. the cue was junk. to add insult to injury he forgot to put the original joint protectors on the cue when he sent it to me so he said he would send them to me and he put them in an ordinary envelope!! by the time the mail came all i saw was a white envelope with a big hole on the side and no joint protectors. i drove to schon cues a week later after the nervous breakdown and they refinnished again for me but the cue, that was so thin, still was like shooting with a broom handle so i sold it.:mad: :(

lfigueroa
02-04-2006, 06:57 AM
We have a guy here in St. Louis.

His lathe is known to the local pool playing community as "The Beaver."

Any kind of damage you can imagine, he has inflicted on unsuspecting customers. He is especially known for tapering newly installed cue tips... and extending the taper right on down your ferule.

Lou Figueroa

o k i know yall have had some work done on a cue and were not satisfied. so have i.,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,but who would you consider a butcher that ruins cues. any personal horror storys ?

BillYards
02-04-2006, 08:28 AM
Just got my break cue (with one shaft), 1 Richard Black shaft, and 2 Black Boar shafts back from Scot at Proficient. The cue looks better than I have ever seen it. The shafts were re-tipped and cleaned to perfection (he even added pads under the tips that I sent). The diameters of the shafts were not altered and there were no dings or chuck marks to be seen.

This was top of the line work.

I really had to grit my teeth when reading some of these stories because they were so bad. I literally could have nightmares and cold sweats if I read too many of these stories. My deepest sympathies to all who have suffered cue mutilation. Maybe we can form a support group.

As far as Showcase goes... I know that Ernie Martinez worked there for a while and I think the quality of repairs back then (1980's and early 90's) was good. I have a Showcase Sneaky-Pete from that era and it is quite a piece of work. I love that cue. Looks fresh off of a roadhouse cue rack (dirt and chalk ground into the finish and shaft wood), but has a pro taper, perfect tip, and shoots like a dream....

kokopuffs
02-04-2006, 08:46 AM
BillYards:

All of the sticks MADE at Showcase have a top notch appearance. It's their repairman and not the cuemaker who is at fault.

Yes, I, too, own a Showcase-Ernie Martinez cue whose appearance is excellent.

5ballcharlie
02-04-2006, 09:51 AM
At the poolroom I play at the owner is the only one that knows how to put on tips or do any other type of basic cue repair. Anyways, I was playing one night and my tip came off and it was almost worn out anyway so I asked the guy who was working there at the time if he could put it behind the counter so the owner could fix it tommorow. The guy working who was a major hard ass know it all says I can put ya one on for 5 dollars. I was like ok go ahead. While he was working on it I put on my replacement shaft on and played. About 5 minutes later he came over to me and handed it to me. I was like that was quick and then I looked at the tip. It was overhanging the ferrule and not even close to being flush with the ferrule. The shaft had super glue on it and was rough. To avoid a long I KNOW everything speach I said thank you and gave him 5 dollars. Went home ripped the tip off and sent it to the owner personally.

Salamander
02-04-2006, 10:01 AM
Boy you ain't kidding about Showcase. If you care about you're cue, do not send it to Showcase! If you send you're 13mm shaft in to have a tip replaced, it very well might come back 12.5.

Not to mention I believe they charge $18 for a tip. Of course, this does include the retapering. :rolleyes:

Doug

kokopuffs
02-04-2006, 10:29 AM
One of the major reasons I learned to do my own retipping is that many good retippers are deaf to my instructions requesting that they do not touch the shaft. Invariably they'll sand it during the replacement process even though I stated DON'T TOUCH THE $#& SHAFT.

dogginda9
02-04-2006, 03:42 PM
Sometimes necessity forces you to take what you can get. At a recent tournament, I needed a tip on one of my shafts. The shaft was played with, maybe, for 1/2 hour from the original cuemaker. I asked the repair guy at the tourney to replace the tip. He says give me a few minutes and I'll have it done right quick. I come back 10 minutes or so later and he is running sandpaper up and down the shaft pretty vigorously. I very nicely ask him what he was doing and he says, " Well you want me to clean the shaft and get all these dings out don't ya?" In shock now, I tell him to just leave the shaft alone and I'll take it as is. I pay him $10 and walk away in disbelief. Then comes the cherry on the cake. I hadn't even looked very closely at the tip or ferrule. Mr. Cue repairman had taken the sandpaper all the way to the tip. The ferrule was completely ruined with gouges that were very, very noticable. I decided it was in my best interest to just let it go and have someone else fix it.

billfishhead
02-04-2006, 04:10 PM
ive heard so many storys like these that when i even want a tip replaced i send the shaft half way accross the country to the original cue maker for a tip,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,btw ive got 4 shafts for each cue

id hate to go to jail for killing some idiot for ruining an ivory ferrule

also, may i add to the list Wayne Gunn for doing very shoddy work on a Rizzo,,,,,,,,,,,,,i had heard he did good work,,,,,,,,,,word was wrong

TATE
02-04-2006, 04:18 PM
Even decent cue makers can slip through a butcher job once in a while.

I picked up an old collectible where a good cue maker had replaced a broken joint. He had put on an oddball joint that was nothing close to original and butchered both shafts in the process. I picked up the cue for pennies on the dollar.

I took a parts cue I had with the original joint parts and sent it with the butcher job to Scot Sherbine. When I got the cue back, it looked better than new - gorgeous - and an old collectible that by all rights was destined for the scrap heap was saved.

Chris

dogginda9
02-04-2006, 07:23 PM
Scot Sherbine rules!

titlistsucker
02-04-2006, 07:38 PM
i was taught by my coach in my young days playing snooker, was that any player worth his shit, knows how to put a tip.

So i never sent cues to have cuemakers to have tips put on. i only put, or change the tips of the cues i sold (typically Mooris), and so far i never had complaints.

And my "equipment"? a Swiss army knife, scotch tape, 3 ton epoxy, sand paper, new crisp dollar notes, a self made filing tool and patience. Due to a process i do, my tips do not need to be played a while to be "run in".

in fact i had my country pros coming to me (in the pool halls i play) to change tips. but i only do cues of close frens i know.

Koop
02-04-2006, 07:42 PM
Thank God Mike Webb lives close by.
I've never brought my cue to anyone else and hopefully will never have to.

As far as bad, I've seen a really bad tip job from a local guy but recently he's been getting better.

ridingthenine21
02-04-2006, 08:01 PM
The guy that owns the local pool hall here in my town is the only guy that does tips and shafts. He has a willard tipper trimmer and does the rest by hand. The other night I was in there shooting and a guy came in to pick up a shaft that he had the owner put a new tip on. The owner offered to get the dings out and proceeded to wet a rag with hot water (don't know if it was soaking wet or just really damp) and wiped it up and down the cue, then sanding it by hand with 600 grit paper. The guy was totally happy. I could be wrong, but that seems like a good way to warp a shaft and/or sand a flat spot in it

Tiddler
02-05-2006, 07:34 PM
Years ago I went to a poolhall in Louisiana and asked if they could replace a Meucci ferrule. They said sure we'll cut the old off and cut a new tenon and put on a ferrule. I said no thanks. A month later in Florida I asked another poolhall if they could do it. They said sure we'll cut the old off and cut a new tenon and put on a ferrule. Finally another month later in Illinois I went the poolhall hosting the Busch 9 ball tournament in Moline. The guy said no problem I'll heat the old ferrule, pull it off and replace it. A couple hours later he handed me back a shaft about 1 1/2 inches shorter than it's sister and denied ever cutting any wood despite the evidence. Later about 1980 I was in Bert Schragers shop for a new tip on my Szamboti and his cueboy insisted they needed the butt as well as the shaft. Bert came out of the back then and told me it'd be a week before he could get to it. Bert was super nice about it and even sold me a Martin cue for a hundred to give me something with which to shoot. When I returned a week later the tip was on, blatantly used and a couple dings on the butt. Bert apologized for his cueboy and to make it up he sold me one of his ivory/ebony cues at a 50% markdown. Now I stay in the shop with my cues until they are finished.

buddha162
02-05-2006, 08:15 PM
Thank God Mike Webb lives close by.
I've never brought my cue to anyone else and hopefully will never have to.

Same goes for me with Paul Fanelli.

-Roger

Koop
02-05-2006, 08:28 PM
Same goes for me with Paul Fanelli.

-Roger

You bet Roger. Either is great in my book.

JoeyInCali
02-05-2006, 09:28 PM
:eek: How the HELL does he stay in business?!

Man, if I went to pick up my shaft and it had dents all over it there'd be trouble, I gauran-fkn-tee it.

-Roger (not sure if a broken shaft can stab through a man, but will give it my best shot)
http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B0006NF91G.01-A3GWFGDE3FDRVJ._SCMZZZZZZZ_.jpg
He uses that.
I GAVE him Delrin collets just to be nice.
HE has not used them.:eek:

Cue Crazy
02-06-2006, 02:03 AM
:eek:
He uses that.

Ouch, that looks like It would hurt. I've never used anything like that. Those things look like a saw blade. I use delrin also.

I sometimes go without the collets on housecues that don't want to center out very well, but I do use a piece of leather and have smooth jaws. The key for me to keep those dents out you mentioned is in the feel when tightening the scroll down. If you over tighten them they will still dent, and If too loose the cue may spin in the jaws, requiring cleaning the shaft at a minimum. sometimes chucking half way on the ferrule helps prevent the dents also. I have pretty good luck either way I go, because I pay extra attention to that kind of stuff, and pull dents for people all the time, so I know how hard they can be to pull when they're that bad, and don't want to create any extra work for Myself.

I believe It should be said that I don't recomend anyone chuck up the way I mentioned, because all jaws are not the same, and even the ones I have can leave dents if you over crank them. I just seem to be able to feel that point before it starts crushing the wood from repetitive action of doing alot of tip and ferrule work, and it centers easier then using the collets for me sometimes. Even A decent collet can dent a shaft If over tightened.

Tommy-D
02-06-2006, 05:47 AM
> At a tournament this past weekend in Memphis,I had my first bad experience in a LONG time. I do all my own repairs normally,unless I'm at a tournament and don't have my equipment available. My favorite shaft had a tip on it that was 2 years old and had never had any problems with it,until it started making noise and would not grab the ball regardless of how I scuffed or chalked it. I knew something had to be done,because I was waiting to play a match. I looked at it very carefully and KNEW it wasn't loose,the tip wasn't coming apart,and still have no clue what caused it. I had the guy that was working the tournament install a new Sumo,same thing I installed on it 2 years ago with great results. I stood and watched him,just like I normally do. This guy has been pretty free with helpful info and ideas,and had no problems until now. He finishes the tip,and just hands the shaft back to me and says it will be 15 bucks,without even removing the excess glue,scratches,and reddish coating from the tip from my ivory ferrule,not to mention the deep dents caused by his collet. I asked him if he was going to clean it up,and he said that will be another 10 bucks. I made damn sure he saw me roll my eyes and told him to go ahead,since the shaft was unplayable as it was,at this point I was getting REALLY hot. His method of cleaning the shaft was a sopping wet green Scotch-Brite pad,along with what looked like 1/2 CUP of water,he dried it with a leather burnisher,hit it with 400,and without sanding it out any further,applies a really heavy coat of horribly thick,sticky sealer. While the sealer is drying,he takes a fresh razor blade,and proceeds to dig into the tip until it looked like it had been burnished with those crappy Ultimate Tip Tools or those plastic burnishers that look like a joint protector. I can clearly hear the chatter of the blade on the ivory,and start looking for something to break over his head,I am 100% serious when I say I wanted to fight him at this point. He barely sands the ferrule with 400,burnishes the tip with the leather again,and asks me if I want to use my wax on the shaft or his,I said neither until you thin this sealer out some. Out comes the 400 again,still ignoring the clearly visible glue on the ferrule,and at this point I decided this was the time to cut my losses and accept it as is,before it got worse. My previously pristine ivory ferrule will SURELY have to be replaced,after looking at it under a jewelers loupe,the chatter marks and gouges cannot be fixed except with radical sanding,the shaft feels like you spilled Coke on it,and I'm 25 bucks stuck for the effort. I feel RAPED,and still want to fight him. I made it a point to bring this to him privately,as he seems like the type to get ignorant if his methods,workmanship or ethics are questioned with other people within earshot. I pulled him off to the side and said "look,maybe this is just a case of you being tired or something,but this shaft you worked on for me is unaccpetable,how do you want to handle it?" He said "it's already been handled,the work is done,I can't be expected to please everyone". I walked off rather than pursue it any further,I only told about 50 people over the remainder of the weekend about it,most of which said this was NOT the first time they had heard about marginal work from him,and made sure everyone I told saw exactly what I meant. I also showed everyone who's opinions mattered the ivory ferrule I installed on vivalaraza's shaft,100% of the people polled said it was FLAWLESS. Even this professional repairman,who's opinion I previously respected said it looked like it was installed by Schon,so I KNOW my workmanship is on par with his. By the way,this was only my 2nd ivory ferrule. The majority of the people that saw the ones I've done have urged me to make every effort to work this particular tournament next year,their support will be rewarded by me trying to do exactly that. Tommy D.

pooldogue
02-06-2006, 07:34 AM
:eek:
He uses that.

Looks like a modified M.R.I. machine........LMAO:D

Andrew Manning
02-06-2006, 07:42 AM
Off topic a little, I guess, since this is a positive review, but Don Purdy does excellent work. I went to him last time I had my tip replaced. The tip was perfectly flush to the ferrule and shaped the way I asked, and the shaft and ferrule were far smoother and prettier than they had been before, with no change in diameter.

-Andrew

cueman
02-06-2006, 10:51 AM
I butchered two cues in my first several months of cue repair back in the 1980's. One was when an Elk Master grabbed my utility blade and kicked it back and gouged the ferrule. I did not have any Micarta with me at the tournament and told the guy to bring it by my shop and and I would replace it for free. He was real nice about it, but showed it to all his friends at the tournament and cost me $100's in business. That one only hurt my reputation for a moment.
But before I ever went out doing repairs my friend wanted me to replace a ferrule. I had not done it before and had the ferrule I was trimming down kick my tool and I gouged his shaft. This was on a wood lathe using hand tools. The guy is nice about it and we decided the way to fix it right away is to sand his shaft down to 11.5mm. He got to liking that small diameter and was glad it happened. Later once I had advanced and got better I built him a new shaft that was 13mm. He went right back to the 11.5mm shaft as he had grown to like it.
Well the story does not end there. We are still good friends. So 15 years later we go to play pool and someone asks him about his thin shaft. He points over to me and tells them that I am a cuemaker and build awesome cues and that I was working on his cue and gouged it and turned it down that small to fix it. He thought he was complimenting me and continued to brag on my cues. But he failed to tell the guy it was 15 years earlier that I messed his shaft up. So now there is this guy who thinks I am a cue butcher and probably would never let me work on his cue in a million years. :(
People should take care not to work on other peoples cues until they have already perfected their technique for that particular job on their own cues. One mistake could come back to haunt them 15 years later. Hopefully all the guys you have mentioned will improve and be doing awesome repairs someday, or find another outlet.
Chris
www.cuesmith.com
www.internationalcuemakers.com

kokopuffs
02-06-2006, 11:34 AM
Cueman:
That's how I learned gunsmithing on a Colt 45 - on MY OWN firearm doing my own phuqueups. And did I learn lots like always remove metal from the cheaper part instead of either the slide or frame!

Get yourselves an old beatup bar cue to work on as a learning experience.

ridingthenine21
02-06-2006, 12:10 PM
Those huge black things with teeth are jacob collets for a lathe chuck. They let you change stuff out quick for metal, but for wood!!! :eek:

Purdman
02-06-2006, 12:10 PM
Off topic a little, I guess, since this is a positive review, but Don Purdy does excellent work. I went to him last time I had my tip replaced. The tip was perfectly flush to the ferrule and shaped the way I asked, and the shaft and ferrule were far smoother and prettier than they had been before, with no change in diameter.

-Andrew

Thank you Andrew, I really appriciate it!
Now for the truth. When I purchased my lathe, I learned on my own cues. Yep, you bet I butchered em. When you learn on your own stuff, you only make the mistake once. I wouldn't even touch someone elses cue at first.
Now I have a guy that I put a leather wrap on for. He says he doesn't want to pay because his shaft is warped. Hey, I put on the wrap and fixed his case. Never had the shaft in my possesion. I told him to buy me a couple of beers and we would forget it. No problem. You think I will ever do anything for him again. ;)
Purdman:cool:

Run the Century
02-06-2006, 02:21 PM
I started building cues 2 years ago with Hightowers lathe. Before I started on other people's cues - I wanted to make sure I could actually build one (and make the mistakes on my own cue). Luckily - I havent butchered anything yet. I would like to praise Scott and Proficient Billiards and Paul Mottey (who only works on his own stuff). Both do first rate work.

JoeyInCali
02-06-2006, 04:25 PM
http://forums.azbilliards.com/images/cavatars/avatar206_4.gif
Wow, Purdy! You've lost some weight and grew more hair.
Your ears are sticking out more though.:D

gforces1911
02-06-2006, 04:39 PM
When I was in college there was a little pool room that used all home tables. You had to pay .35 per game and you called out "Rack!" and the family members would come and rack the balls for you. They were a McDermott dealer and I had bought a McDermott from cornhusker. I took it to them to put a new tip on there. The old fella who was the patriarch of the place did the tips. Well...when I went to pick up my stick it was obvious that he had sanded the entire shaft- ferrule- everything. Even when I went to get my shaft he did a courtesy touch up my jacking it off again with some gritty paper.

I learned a valuable lesson there. And when I finally bought a schon- I had the same tip on there for a few years. It was sad.

manwon
02-09-2006, 01:40 AM
I started building cues 2 years ago with Hightowers lathe. Before I started on other people's cues - I wanted to make sure I could actually build one (and make the mistakes on my own cue). Luckily - I havent butchered anything yet. I would like to praise Scott and Proficient Billiards and Paul Mottey (who only works on his own stuff). Both do first rate work.

Hello, when you say that you started building cues two years ago with a Hightower Lathe, what type of cues are you building?

Thanks Craig

Chris Byrne
07-10-2006, 10:52 PM
If anyone in denver need repair work I am available most nights. You are welcome to watch the work being done. Chris Byrne CB custom cues 720 206 4034

Banker Burt
07-10-2006, 11:05 PM
A friend of mine had a very old Hoppe. He had a local cuemaker replace the wrap and put a new joint in it.

The workmanship was decent but when my friend examined the work he saw where the cuemaker inscribed his name into the butt plate.

An old Hoppe? What do you think?

Varney Cues
07-10-2006, 11:49 PM
There is a guy in Rock Hill, SC who is doing work now. He used to work at the Hardee's. I've seen a couple of examples now. One was a league player who needed a tip & ferrule. This guy had his lathe set up so he let him do it. I'm dead serious when I tell you he installed a 11mm ferrule with a screw on tip onto a 13mm shaft. Big dents in shaft with a lot of glue for like 14inches down the shaft. I actually could not believe this butcher job...and the fact that he handed it back to the guy with a straight face and tried to charge him. Beware in Rock Hill, SC. Funny thing is a couple of weeks later...I walk into my home room, and there he was with his lathe set up. The less than bright owner of the local 8 Ball Express league had asked him to set up there for her tournament. He ruined a couple more as well. The room owner apologized to me for letting him do work there, saying they hadn't asked his permission and he had no idea. I feel badly for the poor souls who had their shafts ruined. He needs to return to "would you like fries with that?"

bigg7
07-11-2006, 04:49 AM
There is a cuemaker in Ohio that put a screw on tip on a local players S/W and he makes the ugliest cues out of all the aca cuemakers

Ktown D
07-11-2006, 05:05 AM
When I was in college there was a little pool room that used all home tables. You had to pay .35 per game and you called out "Rack!" and the family members would come and rack the balls for you. They were a McDermott dealer and I had bought a McDermott from cornhusker. I took it to them to put a new tip on there. The old fella who was the patriarch of the place did the tips. Well...when I went to pick up my stick it was obvious that he had sanded the entire shaft- ferrule- everything. Even when I went to get my shaft he did a courtesy touch up my jacking it off again with some gritty paper.

I learned a valuable lesson there. And when I finally bought a schon- I had the same tip on there for a few years. It was sad.
Did you happen to go to UT and were you playing at McDonald's pool room?
It sure sounds like it. Old man McDonald replaced a ferrule for my buddy- He cut the tenon off and started from scratch. His shaft was an inch shorter and much thinner when he got it back.

ironman
07-11-2006, 05:08 AM

The worst cue work I have ever had was done by none other than myself. I am the wrst there ever was.
Ron Geyer does all my work and it is always just perfect. He did tell me though, that if I ever tried anything myself again, he would charge more for cleaning uup my mess..

Jigger
07-11-2006, 05:42 AM
First of all, I've had great service and results with Scott Sherbine, Tim Scruggs and Guido Orlandi (at regional tournaments). All are top notch for minor to major work. Except for seeing Guido at an occassional tourney, it requires shipping and time. I'd rather avoid the expense and subjecting my equip to travel.

Any recommendations for tip and/or ferrule work in the Kansas City area?:confused:

onepocketchump
07-11-2006, 06:25 AM
I am not goiing to name names as I did not give this person the courtesy of expressing my displeasure with their work when I got the cue back.

I had someone refinish a brand new cue for me. The finish above the wrap had been sliced by an overzealous person in shipping when opening the package.

The cue repairman gave me the cue back with a finish job that was horrible. the finish was uneven, sanding lines were visible all the way down the forearm, the previously polished steel joint was dull and scratched, and worst of all, the stain on the forearm was gone about 8 inches from the joint down, leaving half the forearm a honey brown and half of it natural maple.

A $1200 cue became an unsellable tomato stake. My advice is to be absolutely sure when you have work done. This guy had done tips for me and they came out perfect.

There are definitely a lot of butchers out there. A lot of times at a tournament I'll watch a guy for a while before I'll let him do anything to my stuff or I'll try to inspect some of the stuff he's done.

John

Double-Dave
07-11-2006, 06:43 AM
Well here it goes,

I went to a cue/table dealer together with a friend of mine for my first moori tip. When I came there I realised that I'd forgotten my cue case (phew). So he started working on my buddie's shaft. First he put it into some sort of lathe which had what looked like a bench-press in the middle where the shaft was secured. Off course this was bare metal pushing into my friend's shaft. After he removed the old tip he glued a new one on straight away (without roughing the tip) and then as a piece de resistance, he layed the shaft on a chair with the tip sticking out, SAT ON IT, and used a piece of sanding lint (bout 200 grit) some 15 inches long to wrap around the tip end of the shaft and sand it like there was no tomorrow. It was flush though.

To this day I consider this a very close call.

My buddy felt something like this:

pharaoh68
07-11-2006, 06:55 AM
I will refrain from naming names but I will say that a local cuemaker once did a wrap change for me and when I got the cue back, there was a very noticeable separation in the finish just below the wrap. Needless to say, he gets none of my work anymore.

ribdoner
07-11-2006, 12:12 PM
i gave an early 8 point josswest cue to burton spain to refinnish and when i got the cue back the butt was sanded down at least 30 to 40 thousanths, the stainless joint still had the sand marks (never polished), the wrap area was never lathed to match the finnish so the wrap stuck up way above the finnish, which was absolutely horrible, and the shafts which were full 13mm shafts were now 12mm. the cue was junk. to add insult to injury he forgot to put the original joint protectors on the cue when he sent it to me so he said he would send them to me and he put them in an ordinary envelope!! by the time the mail came all i saw was a white envelope with a big hole on the side and no joint protectors. i drove to schon cues a week later after the nervous breakdown and they refinnished again for me but the cue, that was so thin, still was like shooting with a broom handle so i sold it.:mad: :(

LOL....when I lived in chi (back in the stone age) BURTON's finished product and services were NOT in great demand......I don't think you were the only customer who got a surprise:rolleyes:

steev
07-11-2006, 12:52 PM
I had the displeasure of asking a tournament cue-monkey to re-taper a shaft for me. His work with wraps and tips was nice, but my re-tapered shaft came out d-e-a-d. I'm actually going to throw it out when the replacement arrives. I don't remember the guy's name, and it's probably my fault for getting work like that done in a hurry. I'll never take this kind of work to someone other than the maker again.

On a trip to Evansville, IN, I needed a tip and went to some shop on Franklin St. (I wish I could remember the name to steer you away). The woman doing the work didn't secure the chuck and my ferrule was BOUNCING off of her trimming blade. I asked her to stop, took my shaft and walked out. I had it cleaned up by someone else when I got a chance (still has some light gouges in the ferrule!).

Our local pool shop's owner does good work, but I won't leave anything there for fear someone else will try to do the work. There have been a few horror stories...

-s

/I guess the moral of the story is, be sure you trust the folks you let work on your precious baby.

TATE
07-11-2006, 01:39 PM
A friend of mine had a very old Hoppe. He had a local cuemaker replace the wrap and put a new joint in it.

The workmanship was decent but when my friend examined the work he saw where the cuemaker inscribed his name into the butt plate.

An old Hoppe? What do you think?

What compulsion causes some people to write their name on anything and everything?

Here was another example. One of the largest, oldest and certainly finest live oak trees in the San Fernando Valley had to be trimmed because it was too low over a street. This tree was beautiful and spanned at least 80'.

When the hired tree trimmers were done, the home owner examined the tree in horror. One had carved his name into the trunk with a chainsaw in a large section, at least 6' long. The scarred tree will carry those marks forever. This was a while back. I bet he could be arrested for that today. Besides property damage, the oak is protected here in most Californian cities.

Chris

jayman
07-11-2006, 05:41 PM
I must say that the repair people at Showcase Billiards in Denver are true butchers. I requested a tip replacement and soon thereafter received my shaft with a chipped ferrule, gouges in the shaft and a huge depression at the base of the shaft where it's locked into the chuck for turning on the lathe.

One of my friends handed his butt over to Showcase to have them fit their proprietary Predator-like shaft to it. The butt was returned with the wrap so damaged AND TORN that it hung from the butt in several places. You could literally peal the wrap off of the butt.

**** SHOWCASE for their shoddy workmanship. I wouldn't go there for ANY work done to my stick.
How did you handle it? did you show it to clay? surely there going to make it right..... I hope!

Musashi
07-11-2006, 08:14 PM
I must second the Showcase Billiards comment. Shaft dings after tip replaced. When I asked them about the dings they said the dents were existing. I spent an hour drawing out the dents. They suck!
Their cue design is un-original and inconsistent and their customer service is horrible. They do have a great selection of Billiard Books.