PDA

View Full Version : Worst low-down one pocket moves you have seen?

HitHrdNDraw
02-05-2006, 09:51 PM
One time I was playing a guy and my game ball was stuck in my hole and i had one one or two balls above the head string on my side so it would do no good to follow the ball in... the guy shoots at the ball in my hole and intentionally double hits the cue ball, pocketing my ball. he then looks at me with this goofy smile and says "oops, thats a foul", spots up that ball and one from his hole, now i am shooting from the end rail... scumbag... another one i have seen a few times is where someone will have the cue ball stuck in one of the corner pockets and just drive the cueball into the titty and hold it there with there stick calling an intentional foul however when you step to the table the cueball is so far corner hooked you can't do anything... these are just the two i have had the pleasure of experiencing... anyone else got some to add that i can watch out for?

shag_fu
02-05-2006, 09:56 PM
sounds like preatty smart pool to me. Thats the nature of one pocket. You will see stuff come up that never happens in any other game, thats what makes it one of the toughest and most intereseting games to play or watch.

cuesmith
02-05-2006, 09:59 PM
One time I was playing a guy and my game ball was stuck in my hole and i had one one or two balls above the head string on my side so it would do no good to follow the ball in... the guy shoots at the ball in my hole and intentionally double hits the cue ball, pocketing my ball. he then looks at me with this goofy smile and says "oops, thats a foul", spots up that ball and one from his hole, now i am shooting from the end rail... scumbag... another one i have seen a few times is where someone will have the cue ball stuck in one of the corner pockets and just drive the cueball into the titty and hold it there with there stick calling an intentional foul however when you step to the table the cueball is so far corner hooked you can't do anything... these are just the two i have had the pleasure of experiencing... anyone else got some to add that i can watch out for?

You should not have accepted the double hit scam! He can't call that foul on himself! For that to be a foul, you must call it. Kinda like a penalty being declined in football! I've seen it tried before, but the people who try it use it in desperation and just hope you don't call them on it!

just more hot air!

Sherm

rackmsuckr
02-06-2006, 02:10 AM
We have a guy up here who takes balls from your side and puts them on his, and who had his wife pinch the baby while his opponent was shooting, so she would start screaming (the baby, not the wife!), and when they grew up, he taught the kids to run around the table when the opponent was down on his shot. Nice!

Harold Smith
02-06-2006, 02:50 AM
Thats why you play the 3 foul rule. Also like the other post said ,he can't call it on himself.---Smitty

1pocket
02-06-2006, 06:20 AM
One time I was playing a guy and my game ball was stuck in my hole and i had one one or two balls above the head string on my side so it would do no good to follow the ball in... the guy shoots at the ball in my hole and intentionally double hits the cue ball, pocketing my ball. he then looks at me with this goofy smile and says "oops, thats a foul", spots up that ball and one from his hole, now i am shooting from the end rail... scumbag... another one i have seen a few times is where someone will have the cue ball stuck in one of the corner pockets and just drive the cueball into the titty and hold it there with there stick calling an intentional foul however when you step to the table the cueball is so far corner hooked you can't do anything... these are just the two i have had the pleasure of experiencing... anyone else got some to add that i can watch out for?Both of these moves are covered in the expanded One Pocket rules published by OnePocket.org to prevent just such shenanigans:
http://onepocket.org/one_pocket_pool_rules.htm
Take a look at 6.2 & 6.6

I think two of the most common scams in One Pocket are when a player "accidentally" spots one of their opponent's balls when they are the one that scratched! And on gully tables, appropriating balls that the other guy made, but forgot to move is pretty common.

About the smartest intentional scratch I've seen was something like this:START(
%AC9C7%CZ4G6%Pe4K1%UG3C9%VX6F8%WD0G9%XE4C6%[\8H1%\d5J8%][4E0
%^[5F8
)END

rhncue
02-06-2006, 06:46 AM

According to the "BCA World Standardized Rules", in one-pocket Rules of Play: #4. Balls pocketed by a shooter in an opponent's pocket are scored for the opponent, EVEN IF THE STROKE WAS A FOUL, but would not count if the cue ball should scratch or jump the table.

Need to know the rules!

Dick

MO4
02-06-2006, 07:03 AM

You must be new to one pocket. In most games your opponet will shoot more defensive shots than offensive ones. That's why games last so long.

senor
02-06-2006, 07:50 AM

As several have already mentioned about the double hit move, you can elect to not call the foul on him.

Nobody has mentioned the move where the opponent keeps the tip on the cue ball so that it freezes to the inside rail of the pocket. You need to know your opponent, or set out the ground rules before hand, but a move like this is tantamount to picking up the cue ball and putting it anywhere with your hand, and should be a loss of game.

DawgAndy
02-06-2006, 09:16 AM
I play a guy who when I stick in to stack opposite his pocket he'll just tap the cue ball with his ferule and call foul. Is this legal?

Andy

1pRoscoe
02-06-2006, 09:35 AM
I play a guy who when I stick in to stack opposite his pocket he'll just tap the cue ball with his ferule and call foul. Is this legal?

Andy

Yes, and it can be a pretty smart move dependant upon the layout.

1 Pocket Ghost
02-06-2006, 10:48 AM
sounds like preatty smart pool to me. Thats the nature of one pocket. You will see stuff come up that never happens in any other game, thats what makes it one of the toughest and most intereseting games to play or watch.

NO, that's not "smart pool" - it's called trying to rip somebody off....NO, those shots are not "the nature of one pocket".

breakup
02-06-2006, 11:05 AM
I used to play this guy one pocket and he had this habit.

We would play on a table that the ball return was pretty slow. Every time he would make a ball that needed to be spotted he would grab a ball out of my tray and spot it waiting for the other ball to get in the return, so any mistake he makes costs me a ball. Not to mention the shark effect by making you pay attention to your opponent messing with your score. I questioned him on why he takes a ball out of my tray and the only smart ass comment I could get was “so I don’t forget to put it back”.

He and I don’t play any more. That’s what cheap moves accomplish in the long run is running off opponents. The only people left to play are the ones that are doing it strictly for the $$.

OldHasBeen
02-06-2006, 11:26 AM
I think some money came up missing in Boston not long ago.

TY & GL, OHB

senor
02-06-2006, 11:33 AM

Andy

I usually ask my opponent to foul using the tip of the cue instead of just tapping the top of the cue ball with the ferrule or shaft. Also, there is no advantage gained if you just tap the top of the cue ball. I understand that you are just taking a foul in the stack, but you can still move the balls in the stack just a bit to try to gain an advantage for the next shot.

Scottster
02-06-2006, 05:32 PM
An example involving a foul... Where I play we do not play all ball fouls unless specified prior to match. This old fella was reaching for a ball on a 5x10 his shirt touched an object ball. The opponent called a foul. Shooter said " you are gonna call that a foul? " yup" the opponent said. Shooter asked " do all balls stay where they lie?" oppoinent said "yup".
Shooter went to sit down. When the shooter stepped up for his next inning, he raked all the balls to his side of the table and said, " I owe 2."

Opponent banked a ball at the wrong hole. Shooter steps up and makes a strange shot leaving a difficult (trap) shot towards his hole to see if the opponent actually shot at the wrong hole. Opponent shoots at wrong hole again. Shooter waits for opponent to make a ball in the wrong hole to remind him of his lack of concentration. Shooter runs out.

sjm
02-06-2006, 06:26 PM
Well, I didn't witness this, but Johnny Ervolino once told about a move pulled by a top one pocket player of the 1960's.

Inspecting the rack, this player noticed that a ball in the pack was nearly dead into his pocket. As some players occasionally do, this player then proceeded to inspect the rack more closely by bringing his face just barely above the rack. His opponent wasn't watching too carefully, and, according to Ervolino, this player used his nose to slightly move one of the object balls, and moved it just enough to make the shot out of the pack dead.

The story of this horrible heist was one Johnny told me on more than one occasion.

bruin70
02-06-2006, 10:20 PM
Well, I didn't witness this, but Johnny Ervolino once told about a move pulled by a top one pocket player of the 1960's.

Inspecting the rack, this player noticed that a ball in the pack was nearly dead into his pocket. As some players occasionally do, this player then proceeded to inspect the rack more closely by bringing his face just barely above the rack. His opponent wasn't watching too carefully, and, according to Ervolino, this player used his nose to slightly move one of the object balls, and moved it just enough to make the shot out of the pack dead.

The story of this horrible heist was one Johnny told me on more than one occasion.

creative.....and interesting since most players line up a dead shot from BEHIND the dead ball and combination ball. he musta had a huge proboscis.

cueball1950
02-06-2006, 10:44 PM
please answer this question.... after just reading the rules that someone else posted a like to i looked for a rule on this scenario....player "A" scartches in the pocket and then player "B" takes cueball in hand, puts it in the middle of the corner pocket behind the head string and "PUSHES" the cue ball into the side of the corner pocket freezing it to the cushion inside the pocket leaving player "A" nothing to shoot at and no way to hit any ball. By the way, player "B" is on 2 scratches. i always thought that with ball in hand behind the head string had to schoot across the head string to make a legal hit.... your ruling please!!!!!.............mike

Getnbzy
02-07-2006, 01:57 AM
We have a guy up here who takes balls from your side and puts them on his, and who had his wife pinch the baby while his opponent was shooting, so she would start screaming (the baby, not the wife!), and when they grew up, he taught the kids to run around the table when the opponent was down on his shot. Nice!
Hmmm....let me guess. Does he know a fair amount about Cadillac's?! And are his chances of getting lost in Athens nil!?

Jimmy M.
02-07-2006, 03:46 AM
Interesting topic. I think I just retired for life from one-pocket tonight though. I'm giving myself the small chance that I may play again some day since I was playing tonight while I'm sick. My ears have been plugged up since I woke up this morning and, by this evening, I started to have minor vertigo-like symptoms. However, I still felt like I was okay to play so I'm pretty much sticking to the idea that I can't play that game a lick and I'm going to take the advice that I've given to so many suckers before me. I'm going to take a two week lay-off then quit all together.

Josh Palmer
02-07-2006, 04:41 AM
I'm with you on that one Jimmy. I don't feel I can play a lick after what I saw this weekend. I watched Tony C. play a race to 2 In a one-pocket tournament. The whole match lasted about 8 minutes counting the flip, racking of the balls, and shaking of the hand. A jump/bank over the stack, 8 and out. A seriously long backwards cut on the only ball makeable- while the opponent's hole was riddled with balls.... another 8 and out. This was after he sat for about 2 hours waiting to play the final. I think everyone watching was thinking the same thing.... "I'm dumb, you are brilliant." For the sake of watching, I'd like to see Schmitty and him match up again.

NaClBandit
02-07-2006, 09:13 AM
I watched Tony C. play...

You mean Chohan?

Getnbzy
02-09-2006, 02:45 AM
Hmmm....let me guess. Does he know a fair amount about Cadillac's?! And are his chances of getting lost in Athens nil!?

Then I guess the sound of crickets answers my question!:eek: :D

Gerry
02-14-2006, 06:46 AM
You must be new to one pocket. In most games your opponet will shoot more defensive shots than offensive ones. That's why games last so long.

Not when I play!.......I rarely shoot a 100% defensive shot, unless I'm trapped. I'm almost always trying to move something towards my hole. I like the new school 1pocket vs the wedge type game, which is more boring than Grammas vacation slides!

Gerry

gulfportdoc
02-14-2006, 07:22 AM
...player "A" scartches in the pocket and then player "B" takes cueball in hand, puts it in the middle of the corner pocket behind the head string and "PUSHES" the cue ball into the side of the corner pocket freezing it to the cushion inside the pocket leaving player "A" nothing to shoot at and no way to hit any ball.
http://www.onepocket.org/one_pocket_pool_rules.htm
See sections 6.2 and 6.6

bud green
02-14-2006, 09:13 AM
Tony Chohan won the Hard Times one pocket in Sac (the tourney director there posts results on onepocket.org) so Josh is probably talking about Chohan. Chohan plays excellent one pocket.