PDA

View Full Version : which state is best for an upcoming champion to move to?

ugotaction
02-06-2006, 04:26 AM
I need opinions on which state to move to. I have to leave the D.C area. im not exactly looking for places with the most action, Im looking for a place with the most champions or strong players to play and learn from and eventually snap off. Im thinking southern florida, Detroit, or somewhere in cali. what should i do?

Gerry
02-06-2006, 05:12 AM
There are alot of pros living here in Florida, the weather is nice, hurricanes SUCK!, cost of living can be high near the coast, but there must be a reason everyine is moving here!:)......which is WINTER!

I think you can find all the winter you want in Detroit. I don't know anything about the place besides that.

My sister lives in SoCal, and she loves it, except for the mudslides, and the cost of houses is almost double that of most places here in FLA.

All things equal, I'd move right where I am now! about an hour to Orlando, or Jacksonville, 5 to Miami, Tampa is maybe 3 at most. It's a nice place to live,and no trouble finding a mentor......Good luck

If you want more info on this area check out our website: www.coastalwatersrealty.net

Gerry

j_kronz79
02-06-2006, 06:09 AM
the quad cities is probably the best pool town in the entire world. noone ever comes through here cause they cant beat anyone. its unreal how many good players have come out of a 30 mile radius. jesse, jamey, and dwaine bowman. jamie baracks, john kucharo, chad vilmont, josh johnson, tommy hernandez, recently. mark wilson, scott kito, and jeff carter used to be regular's in the pool room also. feel free to come and get some. or just basically just keep drving on I-80 like every one else does.

JAM
02-06-2006, 06:44 AM
I need opinions on which state to move to. I have to leave the D.C area. im not exactly looking for places with the most action, Im looking for a place with the most champions or strong players to play and learn from and eventually snap off. Im thinking southern florida, Detroit, or somewhere in cali. what should i do?

So you're going for the geographic remedy to advance your game?!:p

Carolinas is an pool friendly sort of region, compared to D.C. metro area.

Florida is very affordable, but you've got the hurricane alley to think about.

Personally, I'd stay right where you're at, Small Fry :), but whatever your decision, you will be missed! I admire your ambition and desire, but sometimes the geographic cure ain't all that. See you on the tournament trail!

JAM

Black-Balled
02-06-2006, 07:03 AM
So you're going for the geographic remedy to advance your game?!:p... whatever your decision, you will be missed! I admire your ambition and desire, but sometimes the geographic cure ain't all that. See you on the tournament trail!

JAM

Yezzzz, Mon! One good thing about DC is its proximity to so many good tours. You got your NY, MD, PA, VA, NC, all within a few hours' drive.
Don't go- I still need your$:D :eek: ;) .

Egg McDogit
02-06-2006, 07:43 AM
what?!?! you don't think there are enough champions in our area?!?!? omg I quit pool

Cane
02-06-2006, 07:56 AM
Florida
Illinois
Kansas
Alabama
Virginia (most eastern seaboard states for that matter)
Oklahoma
Texas

Man, you can move about anywhere and get amongst a HERD of champions! In 4 years, personally, I'm moving to Tulsa. I go there and play occassionally now, but one particular pool room has at least half a dozen players that can play with anyone in the world... your game will NOT suffer moving somewhere that has that kind of talent...

SirBanksALot
02-06-2006, 08:54 AM
Florida
Illinois
Kansas
Alabama
Virginia (most eastern seaboard states for that matter)
Oklahoma
Texas

Man, you can move about anywhere and get amongst a HERD of champions! In 4 years, personally, I'm moving to Tulsa. I go there and play occassionally now, but one particular pool room has at least half a dozen players that can play with anyone in the world... your game will NOT suffer moving somewhere that has that kind of talent...

My business travels take me all over the US and, all things considered, there are probably more good pool players in Oklahoma on a per capita basis than anywhere in the country.

I would bet I know which room Cane is talking about and they got some guys there that sure know how to play pool - be it 9 Ball or One Pocket or whatever!!!!:)

stevelomako
02-06-2006, 09:54 PM
Get in your car and head here to Detroit, then when you hit I-75 take a hard left and go SOUTH to FLA.

ScottW
02-06-2006, 10:01 PM
I'd say it's a toss-up between the states of Insanity and Confusion.

:D

macguy
02-06-2006, 10:10 PM

Check out this site it will give you a lot of information.
http://www.city-data.com/city/Florida2.html
To search real estate this is a pretty good site
http://www.bobvila.com/RealEstate/List/FL.html

Tommy-D
02-07-2006, 02:24 AM
> Don't bother coming to Union City,Tn,it's a 2 hour drive to play on a 9 footer. Tommy D.

Cross
02-08-2006, 01:59 AM
If u really want to play with the best, you might want to consider taking month long vacations here in Manila, Philippines.:)

buddha162
02-08-2006, 02:04 AM
If u really want to play with the best, you might want to consider taking month long vacations here in Manila, Philippines.:)

Or Taipei...:D

-Roger (hey, it's a friendly rivalry)

rukiddingme
02-08-2006, 02:24 AM
the Chicagoland area...lots of good players, plenty of poolrooms and a major airport.
ruk

Cross
02-08-2006, 03:02 AM
Or Taipei...:D

-Roger (hey, it's a friendly rivalry)

IMHO, the playing styles in Taipei and the US are very similar. ie, Fundamentally very sound, textbook stance, bridging, shotmaking, position play, stroking etc. I think whatever you will learn in Taipei, you can learn in the US.

2 Months ago, I had the privilege of playing with a Korean National Pool Player here in Manila. We were chatting and I asked him what brought him to the Phils, he said that he came here to train because all the best players are here. I asked him why not go train in Taiwan, after all, they are the current world pool champion ( Wu Chia Ching) and he said that whatever he will learn in Taiwan, he can learn in Korea or any other country. But what he can learn in the Phils, he can only learn in the Phils.

I am not saying one technique is better than the other as each has their own World Champion. All Im saying is you might want to taste a different flavor once in a while :)

just my 2 pesos worth

sheaprek
02-08-2006, 03:28 AM
Hey Cross

Do you remember the name of the Korean National Player.

I've been here in South Korea for almost 5 years and I know just about everybody.

Just wondering.

Brian

Cross
02-08-2006, 04:19 AM
I forgot :) but he had an english name thats for sure. :D when I say English, I mean like john, peter etc and not the usual 3 worded korean name ie. Shin young park.

Jaden
02-09-2006, 09:21 AM
If you want people that are top notch that you can get to know and will help you with your game just for being your friend or for really cheap sets. Try San Diego.....It's an hour and a half drive to hard times and most places in southern cal....

A lot of the best players there have left but there are plenty still there.....and some more have come. There's a new guy jahny? or something like that from the netherlands who's pretty damn good. And then you have all of the regulars, Victor Castro, Dan Wallace, we recently lost louis Ulrich to atlanta.... Morro hangs out down there sometimes.....
John Schmidt is originally from there......Yeah florida may have some of the best players, but do they come from there? or congregate there.....
Chip Klein, he moved too somewhere back east.... Sam Manaole.... the list goes on and on....THat's not even including the pros that hang out at hard times... Dave hemmah..... California is the place to be IMHO.....

And there are a LOT of no name players there that are top notch.....and have lots of knowledge that are willing to help out with people's games.

jnav447
02-09-2006, 02:45 PM
I've lived in quite a few states in my life, and IMO Florida is the nuts. Cost of living is reasonable, decent people, plenty of jobs (though they don't pay as well as some areas), and LOTS of pool action around the state. If you're an A player with heart, you can do OK financially, but you'll have the opportunity to mix it up with some really good players and, if you're lucky, find a mentor who can help you bump your game up to the next level. Try Florida; if it doesn't work out, at least you'll know not to retire here when you're my age!Best of luck to you.

misterpoole
02-09-2006, 04:08 PM
My business travels take me all over the US and, all things considered, there are probably more good pool players in Oklahoma on a per capita basis than anywhere in the country.

I would bet I know which room Cane is talking about and they got some guys there that sure know how to play pool - be it 9 Ball or One Pocket or whatever!!!!:)

Gabe played at that room alot but he decided, or his sponsor decided, that Jacksonville Florida was a better location.
If you play golf and pool then Florida is hard to beat.

sjm
02-09-2006, 05:00 PM
Well, if you're not willing to move to Taiwan or the Philippines, I think your best choice is Florida. A steady diet of tough competitive practice partners is fundamental to fully developing your game, and Florida seems to offer more, in this regard, than any other state.

ScottW
02-09-2006, 05:37 PM
Plus, if you stay there long enough, you won't even have to move down there to retire! Florida isn't called "God's Waiting Room" for nothin'.... :D

Gerald
02-09-2006, 06:10 PM
Jam, what you doing with Scott's car? lol

JJLING
02-10-2006, 12:28 AM
the quad cities is probably the best pool town in the entire world. noone ever comes through here cause they cant beat anyone. its unreal how many good players have come out of a 30 mile radius. jesse, jamey, and dwaine bowman. jamie baracks, john kucharo, chad vilmont, josh johnson, tommy hernandez, recently. mark wilson, scott kito, and jeff carter used to be regular's in the pool room also. feel free to come and get some. or just basically just keep drving on I-80 like every one else does.

what about jimmy wetch isnt he from there and if so he deserves to be on that list for sure damn!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

JJLING
02-10-2006, 12:33 AM
jimmy wetch thing meaning he's from quad cities and if u move anywhere as a young player i highly suggest u go to tulsa and move as close to tulsa billiard palace as u can its the best for all young players the put out jr. champs almost every year its a no brainer kid.

thebestpoolroom
02-10-2006, 02:11 AM
I'm really surprise! No one mentions Atlanta, GA.

This is the best place to live. Great economy, standard of living is the lowest for big cities, and plenty of pool players and rooms for you to test your skill. I think Johnny Archer can give you a run for your money.

John

enzo
02-10-2006, 03:50 AM
If you want people that are top notch that you can get to know and will help you with your game just for being your friend or for really cheap sets. Try San Diego.....It's an hour and a half drive to hard times and most places in southern cal....

A lot of the best players there have left but there are plenty still there.....and some more have come. There's a new guy jahny? or something like that from the netherlands who's pretty damn good. And then you have all of the regulars, Victor Castro, Dan Wallace, we recently lost louis Ulrich to atlanta.... Morro hangs out down there sometimes.....
John Schmidt is originally from there......Yeah florida may have some of the best players, but do they come from there? or congregate there.....
Chip Klein, he moved too somewhere back east.... Sam Manaole.... the list goes on and on....THat's not even including the pros that hang out at hard times... Dave hemmah..... California is the place to be IMHO.....

And there are a LOT of no name players there that are top notch.....and have lots of knowledge that are willing to help out with people's games.

i've played or lived in the following cities, which are in order of preference (ie top being best)

orlando- tons of players, good action, a lot of people willing to gamble, people play one hole, banks.. gotta love it

phoenix- a lot of players too, many gamble, but as you go west expect less one hole, banks and strait pool :( a really fun pool playing city

LA- very good players, but only the good players gamble, no banks, only better players play one hole

El Paso- fun, but not very strong players.

San Diego- don't ever go there if you wanna play pool, unless its the swanie memorial or something, a worthless town. beckley, ulrich, frank, pluta all gone. wallace says weird things about him ruling SD (or he used to) but then wont get up tp prove it. only good thing about SD is sam manole and the girls (i will personally GUARANTEE that you will never see more beautiful women in your entire life, seriously).