PDA

View Full Version : New Cue Designs that Play WELL

PoolSleuth
02-06-2006, 08:27 AM
Was curious if there really are any Cuemakers coming up with TRULY NEW NEVER BEFORE Made Design that also play well.

I ask this question as Cue Design Thief, or Cue Design Imitation is brought up on this Forum frequently.

Having never been to Valley Forge that I understand this is where more Cuemakers display their Cues than anywhere. Or as a matter of fact any other Major event with more than one Handful of Cuemakers.

I ask are there really any Cuemakers cutting into New Frontiers of Cue Design plus their Cues Play well.

Tbeaux
02-06-2006, 09:00 AM
The Lambos Ultra joint,Layani joint,OB1 shafts,meucci laminated shaft,Tiger X shaft,Predator 314 and z shafts, McDermott Ice shafts,Universal smart shaft system, phenolic tips, X-breaker tip, laminated butts,Fiberglass, graphite, ivor-x, etc....

I'd say the basic component structure of the cues are all similar.There are only a few structural designs. Lots of innovation in shafts, joint types, tips, materials and how these things are combined together. Artistic design doesn't have much to do with playability except for points that are a part of the cues structure.

Terry

bruin70
02-06-2006, 09:11 AM
nothing "new" is being done. there's lot's of gimmicks, but nothing insures a quality consistant hit other than the fact that the science of cuebuilding is getting better.

the only way to insure a quality it is to invest in a cuemaker with integrity.....a cuemaker who makes no shortcuts. now,,,part of the cuebuilding process is YOUR responsibility. you should take the time to learn as much as you can about shaftwood, tips, ferrules, tapers, woods. shaftwood being very important, imo. you should get a cuemaker who will allow you to pick your own shaftwoods.

i also happen to believe that you get better workmanship from a cuemaker who doesn't build many cues(comparatively speaking),,,,<10 per month, imo

PoolSleuth
02-06-2006, 09:34 AM
Should have said CUE BUTT Design, as they was a goof by me.

Tbeaux
02-06-2006, 10:17 AM
Should have said CUE BUTT Design, as they was a goof by me.

As far as cue butt design. The joint and butt material would be the most notable. Some grip designs are different. These things relate more to feel than playability. Shaft,tip and joint factors are most important to playability.

Wood butts, laminated wood butts, fiberlass or graphite skinned wood butts, solid fiberglass or graphite butts all have a different feel but less of an effect on playability.

Terry

Jaden
02-06-2006, 04:03 PM
I know a guy that does truly unique designs but the problem with truly unique designs,,, well with his atleast are that most people think he's asking too much for them and he asks a certain amount based on the number of hours he puts into them rather than for what they are.

They do play extremely well, but I come from a more traditional school of thought as far as how a cue should be made and look so I don't particularly like his designs....

I think it's possible to have some original ideas without going completely off of the traditional base. I'm working on some original ideas right now.

One is one I'm thinking of using as a playing cue for myself and one is a commission piece designed by the individual who commissioned it.