PDA

View Full Version : Question for table mechanics

leaseman
02-06-2006, 08:36 AM
Just wondering how long it takes to recover, say an 8' run of the mill olhausen. Say the table is set up, you have to strip the cloth, seal the seams, recover the bed and rails. How long does it take you to do the rails? Sometimes it seems to take for ever. An 8' table as described is taking me about 5-6 hours. Am I too slow?

MO4
02-06-2006, 09:55 AM
No, your not slow. You are stoped. LOL The place I bought mine from took about 3 hours total. They even forgot part of it and had to go get it. Plays like a dream.

smittie1984
02-06-2006, 10:01 AM
Well first off are you doing it by yourself? Most table mechanics have a helper which pulls the staples while the other shoots the rails. Which saves a lot of time.

NineBallNut
02-06-2006, 10:22 AM
a job like that with 2 people should only take about 1.5 to 2 hours. It would take me three hours probably by myself. But there is no correct time frame. How ever long it takes to do a top notch job is acceptable

leaseman
02-06-2006, 11:39 AM
a job like that with 2 people should only take about 1.5 to 2 hours. It would take me three hours probably by myself. But there is no correct time frame. How ever long it takes to do a top notch job is acceptable

That's what I thought. I do the tables alone. I can't figure why I'm so slow. How long does it take you to do rails? I must spend 2 hours on them at least. I have figured out I need a helper to pull staples and do the odds and ends. It seems like I'm moving fast but I guess not!

NineBallNut
02-06-2006, 02:09 PM

That's what I thought. I do the tables alone. I can't figure why I'm so slow. How long does it take you to do rails? I must spend 2 hours on them at least. I have figured out I need a helper to pull staples and do the odds and ends. It seems like I'm moving fast but I guess not!

If I were to have to pull the staples and then refelt. it would take me about 1 hour. if just refelt.... 25 minutes or so would do. Get a good staple puller like the Barrys one in meuller, makes pulling staples a snap

leaseman
02-06-2006, 04:21 PM
If I were to have to pull the staples and then refelt. it would take me about 1 hour. if just refelt.... 25 minutes or so would do. Get a good staple puller like the Barrys one in meuller, makes pulling staples a snap

The rails are killing me. there is no way I could do them in 25 minutes! I have the Barry's remover. You are right about that. With the rails, do you have a jig? I am lefthanded and always seem to be holding the rails at an awkward poition when I am recovering them. I just learned the trick to make the cloth turn around the corner facings. 25 minutes! That would be awesome if I could get the job down to that!

Jaden
02-06-2006, 04:32 PM
I used to redo them all the time and it would take probably 45 minutes to do the rails. That doesn't mean you're doing them slow though. I redid probably two to three tables per week.....so I had some practice.

smittie1984
02-06-2006, 08:27 PM
I always hated doing Pool Halls. You have a crap load of tables to do and after 4 hours of pulling staples you start getting annoyed at it.

NineBallNut
02-07-2006, 09:56 AM
I always hated doing Pool Halls. You have a crap load of tables to do and after 4 hours of pulling staples you start getting annoyed at it.
I know. I've got nine to do here next weekend. unfortunately for my partner, he is the one that will have sore hands since I'm using a new guy with not much experience.....lol

PROG8R
02-07-2006, 11:02 AM
What type of cloth are you using? I was taught that the cloth should be pulled evenly so that the weave is at the same place on both sides so you don't create an un-natural roll or drift. (LOL, does it sound like I was DUPED?)
I argee entirely, PULLING STAPLES BLOWS OUT MY A#$; especially if they weren't pulled before!!

NineBallNut
02-07-2006, 12:44 PM
What type of cloth are you using? I was taught that the cloth should be pulled evenly so that the weave is at the same place on both sides so you don't create an un-natural roll or drift. (LOL, does it sound like I was DUPED?)
I argee entirely, PULLING STAPLES BLOWS OUT MY A#$; especially if they weren't pulled before!!
I'm using Simonis 860 and yes you have to pull evenly to avoid ball drift back and forth. It's a pain, but for the money I'm going to make verses time involved it's well worth it