PDA

View Full Version : If you were having a custom break cue built...

UWPoolGod1
02-06-2006, 05:05 PM
...what specifications would you have? Length, weight, phenolic/leather tip, shaft diameter, joint collars material, Rock Maple/Ash shaft? Would you have one solid piece of wood for the butt? I am considering having a break cue built and would like to hear your thoughts on its design. Thanks! Post pictures of yours if ya got em.

PoolSleuth
02-06-2006, 05:21 PM
My Break Cue Weights a TAD under 17.0 Ounces, is Birdseye Maple with a Linnen Wrap. Does a Great Job of Breaking when am 100% & hit the Sweet Spot....

StormHotRod300
02-06-2006, 05:31 PM
Personally if i was to have a custom J/B made i would have specs like this

60inches

19oz

shaft 13.25mm Hard Maple

6inch taper

joint phenolic

Tip: Stingray

Butt: 4pointer using Zebra wood and curly maple

ribdoner
02-06-2006, 06:29 PM
Personally if i was to have a custom J/B made i would have specs like this

60inches

19oz

shaft 13.25mm Hard Maple

6inch taper

joint phenolic

Tip: Stingray

Butt: 4pointer using Zebra wood and curly maple
Same as above with optional hillbilly attachment:)

Nico
02-06-2006, 07:44 PM
My custom break cue would have these specs:

Length: Standard 58"
Weight: 18.5 oz
Shaft: 13mm with a 10" straight taper
Ferrule: 1/2" long linen based phenolic
Tip: Joe picone "White Diamond"
Joint: Wood to wood
Pin: 3/8 x 10
Forearm: Plain birdseye Maple
Butt: Plain birdseye Maple
Wrap: Smooth Leather wrap

No points or inlays for this cue, just the bare essentials to wreck a rack.

scottycoyote
02-06-2006, 08:10 PM
ditto on the last post.........id want a super plain stick, something light 17oz or so, leather wrap all the way to the buttcap like the fury jump/break. Oversized tip, and id probably go with 60" cuz thats what i play with. Although seems i rememeber strickland uses a super short break cue, like 54" or something, i wonder why?

Tbeaux
02-06-2006, 08:12 PM
For breaking I prefer a cue that is 56"-58" and weighs 18 oz. Most people will probably find that a break cue weighing 1oz less than their playing cue is the perfect weight. Length depends on what's comfortable in your break stance. Wood to wood joint for me but a metal joint doesn't bother me either. Again personal preference. Prefer larger pins. Hard leather tip like triangle.For breaking nickle or quarter shape. 13mm shaft. Always interested in hearing about a better ferrule and would like to try ivor-x. Solid butt does fine but other types wouldn't bother me. Prefer no wrap or a leather wrap with some grip.

Terry<not out to win a break contest,just pocket a ball or two.

Barbara
02-06-2006, 08:39 PM
It's a Frey custom sneaky/pete mahogany with birdseye maple forearm. Stainless steel joint with a nice collar. 14mm shaft that hits a ton! Hey Flash, you turned me on to this and it works!!

You need a good joint (think S/S) on a break cue to wear out the ride. Really.

Barbara

UWPoolGod1
02-07-2006, 05:41 PM
Thanks Guys/Gals!!

Yeah I was kinda leaning toward a 13mm or larger shaft with a short taper. I have all sorts of things regarding the joint. Was probably sticking with a 3/8-10 pin. I have yet to figure out if I want to go with a phenolic or a hard leather. I may keep the butt one solid piece to keep the cost down and not involve points. We'll see. Thanks for the input...anyone else before I starting writing this down?