PDA

View Full Version : New Custom Cuemakers to look for

StormHotRod300
02-07-2006, 04:08 AM
Ok, just curious, since after making my cue order with Mike Zimmerman, which i am very content he will do a top notch job on the cue.

I just got curious to know from the everyone who they think will be the new cue makers to become big. And i mean new as in, having been making cues for less than two years.

I hate to toot my horn but, i am seriously excited to get the cue i order'd from Zim, and to be able to play with it. I think his prices are very reasonable, for what he offers. Along with his time table for making a cue also.

Now i know alot hasta do with word of mouth comments and people liking the persons work, IE with how Gilbert, has become a name that you can almost put into the same catagory with JossWest, Black Boar, Hercek, and those other guys you hafta get in line to wait for your cue.

so let me hear your name dropping.

dave

bruin70
02-07-2006, 04:28 AM
ed prewitt

Black-Balled
02-07-2006, 06:17 AM
Pat Diveney

tedkaufman
02-07-2006, 07:38 AM
Sheldon has been making cues longer than two years, but is still a relative unknown outside the NW. However, a ridiculously high percentage of quality players in Oregon use his cues.

When I first moved to Oregon and started playing again, it seemed like every good player I came across had one of his cues. And nearly every one of them told me they would never play with anything else. At first I thought they must be collectively drugged or hypnotized or secret salesmen of Sheldon's.

But it turned out there were no sinister convert forces at work. Sheldon just makes beautiful, great playing cues at very reasonable prices.

thoffen
02-07-2006, 07:58 AM
Eric Crisp (qbilder on easypooltutor) -- Sugartree cues.

Nothing fancy. Just the best woods and the best construction. Kind of like Zylr, but with more exotic woods.

dirtydog48
02-07-2006, 09:32 AM
Ronnie Powell is his name and he just finished a cue for Efren who ordered another. Kind of eccentric, but makes one hell of a cue.
http://www.queperfect.biz/

JoeyInCali
02-07-2006, 11:03 AM
Ronnie Powell is his name and he just finished a cue for Efren who ordered another. Kind of eccentric, but makes one hell of a cue.
Efren did?:eek:

Gregg
02-07-2006, 11:50 AM

I have never seen cues with so such a large quantity of elaborate inlays that also look great. Most wind up looking "over the top".

Beautiful designs.

Zims Rack
02-07-2006, 04:00 PM
LeBow, Blackcreek, CAM, Chris Cues and of course, ZCC!

Thanks Dave! Looking forward to building it for you!
Zim

matthew staton
02-07-2006, 04:47 PM
Newer cue makers kenny murrell,chris nitti,mike capone,bcm,black creek,Darin hill. Just a few of newer cue makers that I think will be the big time makers of the future and there cues hit good JMO.:) :)

cubswin
02-07-2006, 07:23 PM
I like Dz cues, don't know if he will ever be a top tier cue maker because he works a "real" job as well. But his cues hit very well, price is good, and he is a great guy to work with. Have a cue in mind for him to build me soon actually.

"Madison" Bob Griffin makes a nice cue as well.

Bryan Mordt(sp) would be another pick

I_Luv_This_Game
02-08-2006, 12:17 AM
http://www.easypooltutor.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=7271

You won't regret =)

masonh
04-29-2006, 12:29 AM
that does not look like effren reyes to me.maybe it is the glasses and the moustache.

BlowFish
04-29-2006, 02:28 AM
Eric Crisp (qbilder on easypooltutor) -- Sugartree cues.

Nothing fancy. Just the best woods and the best construction. Kind of like Zylr, but with more exotic woods.

My kinda cue. :cool:

Tokyo-dave
04-29-2006, 02:46 AM

I'd be careful as to just how much of what this guy claims is actually legit. He makes some pretty large claims on his site. No, I do not know wether or not Efren has (or likes) his cues, but I'm pretty sure that nobody (except Ronnie Powell) has ever seen Efren with one of his cues. AND......................I've never, ever, every seen any of his cues in the hands of any player regardless of level. That's enough to convince me that this guy is most likely more hot air than cue.
Probably builds a fine medium level cue with lot's of inlays that most people would consider a little much, but if his claims are true as to Efren and other top notch players, you'd expect to see his cues floating around out there, and I've seen nothing yet.
Prove me wrong.
dave

Rich R.
04-29-2006, 05:32 AM
Not new, but mentioned by someone else, Mike Capone is among the best ever.

If you get the chance, check out Cory Barnhart. He does outstanding work.

I also highly recommend Murray Tucker, but I am not sure if he is still making cues or not.

billiardshot
04-29-2006, 05:34 AM
Todd Elkins [Parrot cue], apprentice Rayman Walter, very serious about cuemaking.

Craig Fales
04-29-2006, 05:51 AM

I had fun poking around his website...interesting things he says about shafts...and he's really proud of his...
________

cgriffin5
04-29-2006, 07:07 AM
Not new, but mentioned by someone else, Mike Capone is among the best ever.

If you get the chance, check out Cory Barnhart. He does outstanding work.

I also highly recommend Murray Tucker, but I am not sure if he is still making cues or not.

Tap Tap. Mike makes a great cue. I love mine. I think his cues are a great buy.

rackmsuckr
04-29-2006, 08:06 AM
Dave Jones in WA. He made it into the Blue Book this year.

almer
04-29-2006, 08:43 AM
Sheldon has been making cues longer than two years, but is still a relative unknown outside the NW. However, a ridiculously high percentage of quality players in Oregon use his cues.

When I first moved to Oregon and started playing again, it seemed like every good player I came across had one of his cues. And nearly every one of them told me they would never play with anything else. At first I thought they must be collectively drugged or hypnotized or secret salesmen of Sheldon's.

But it turned out there were no sinister convert forces at work. Sheldon just makes beautiful, great playing cues at very reasonable prices.
I think selling cues for a new cuemaker is mostly regional until hes been around for a few yrs,one of the newer guys in my area has sold lots of $1500.00 cues to locals but i see some of his cues on ebay once in a while and they never sell.It seems hard to get to that well known level.

bogey54311
04-29-2006, 10:02 AM
Mike Webb from RI and kenny murrell.

tons of cue for the money.

awesome players.

both those guys stock are climbing FAST.

ive hit with every maker on the planet.....these cues play with the best of them.

chris G

deadstroke32
04-29-2006, 06:24 PM

awesome players.

ive hit with every maker on the planet.....these cues play with the best of them.

chris G

Ken Murrell .Kev Varney ,sticks4sale,hill q,s,Barnheart.Blackcreek.Mike Webb is already big .Jus love his work .. I met a Sbe with year i forgot his dam name. but he was set up down by the pit..
O last but never cheep Eurowest cues ..Great work sweet hit ....

jazznpool
04-29-2006, 06:40 PM
Kent Davis (The Duke of Burl) from San Dimas, CA. You'll hear more about him and his cues in the future. Excellent attention to detail. His cues are crisp hitting with forearms (mostly 6 and 8 point) that have a core of desert ironwood with super-highly figured laminates surrounding it including burls, curls, etc of exotic woods. He uses top grade, high tone shaftwood and does not compromise on quality. Most of what he makes right now goes overseas. He is a woodworker by profession and apprecticed at cuemaking for a few years with Ariel Carmeli.

Martin

X Breaker
04-29-2006, 07:38 PM
Could anyone please tell me a bit about SugarTree? Any pictures? Bio of the cue maker?

Thank you.

By the way, I think Bob Owen should be mentioned.

ChrisOnline
04-30-2006, 07:57 AM
Kent Davis (The Duke of Burl) from San Dimas, CA. You'll hear more about him and his cues in the future. Excellent attention to detail. His cues are crisp hitting with forearms (mostly 6 and 8 point) that have a core of desert ironwood with super-highly figured laminates surrounding it including burls, curls, etc of exotic woods. He uses top grade, high tone shaftwood and does not compromise on quality. Most of what he makes right now goes overseas. He is a woodworker by profession and apprecticed at cuemaking for a few years with Ariel Carmeli.

Martin

a wholesale dealer that i deal with just started carrying a line of KD cues..
they look to be really nice... thought about buying a few.. first time i ever seen them though.. its nice to hear positive comments on them.. maybe i still will pick a few up for resale..

chris

will8834
04-30-2006, 08:50 AM
Chad Carter is making some great cues.
He is also listed in the blue book

zcat27
04-30-2006, 09:05 AM
Ok, just curious, since after making my cue order with Mike Zimmerman, which i am very content he will do a top notch job on the cue.

I just got curious to know from the everyone who they think will be the new cue makers to become big. And i mean new as in, having been making cues for less than two years.

I hate to toot my horn but, i am seriously excited to get the cue i order'd from Zim, and to be able to play with it. I think his prices are very reasonable, for what he offers. Along with his time table for making a cue also.

Now i know alot hasta do with word of mouth comments and people liking the persons work, IE with how Gilbert, has become a name that you can almost put into the same catagory with JossWest, Black Boar, Hercek, and those other guys you hafta get in line to wait for your cue.

so let me hear your name dropping.

dave

I think both Sheldon Lebow (Lebow Custom Cues) and Chad McLennon (Cam Cues) make incredible cues for the player. Both are exceptionally talented cue makers and both are absolutely committed to meticulous detail in their cues. So the quality I have seen is outstanding.

rackmsuckr
04-30-2006, 09:30 AM
Efren might try to scam a few free cues from this clown like all pool scum do from time to time...
Jim

Are you calling Efren pool scum?? :eek: I would also take exception to being called pool scum, as Viking gave me a free cue many years ago and I still play with it. I endorse their cues in every article I write and list them as one of my sponsors. I do the same with Talisman Billiards who made my case. Please try not to be bitter or over-generalize about pool players that get 'free' equipment, as their input and endorsement counts as advertising to the billiard company.

pbat2751
04-30-2006, 02:56 PM

awesome players.

chris G

I'll agree Mike Webb makes a great cue.

zeeder
04-30-2006, 05:01 PM

I know I'm looking forward to getting mine! :D

whiteoak
04-30-2006, 05:35 PM
Actually,Mike has worked with Tim Scruggs for many years but in the last year or so has begun to build some cues under his name(MC cues).He built a few several years ago but very few and hard to get.Anyone who has ever dealt with Tim or Mike knows what class acts they are and the cues Mike makes,like the TS cues they have built are GREAT! M.Sellers

smurf
04-30-2006, 08:22 PM
Has anyone heard of Horne Cues?

rackem
04-30-2006, 10:11 PM
Dave Whitsell check out his page in the new blue book.:cool:

rackmsuckr
05-01-2006, 07:18 AM

Anyone hear of Bill Webb? He and Dave Jones started Finish Line Cues, but now Dave is going it alone.

SkippyFL
05-01-2006, 10:40 AM
Down in this neck of the woods Eddie Wheat is starting to make cues. He has a J/B that breaks and jumps really well so far. I'm pondering getting rid of my SledgeHammer and getting one of Eddie's.