PDA

View Full Version : Cell Phone Foul?

Billy_Bob
02-07-2006, 06:19 AM
How about having a new rule that it is a foul to use a cell phone while playing a match?

vagabond
02-07-2006, 06:29 AM
How about having a new rule that it is a foul to use a cell phone while playing a match?

How dare you can take away my birth right to be inconsiderate to others, win by whatever methods it takes and my freedom of speech.It is unamerican.It is unamerican and unpatriotic to try to take away my rights.:cool:

TheBook
02-07-2006, 06:34 AM
Why not consider it to be their timeout or coaching? That would eliminate some or it.

Black-Balled
02-07-2006, 06:39 AM
Methinks that foul is right behind cussin and moving.

Billy_Bob
02-07-2006, 07:01 AM
Why not consider it to be their timeout or coaching? That would eliminate some or it.

Ah Ha! That is what they have been doing. They have one of those picture phones and are getting advice on their next shot! :D

9ballhustla
02-07-2006, 07:06 AM
I saw a kid almost get kicked outta tournament cause his cell phone kept ringing. he refused to turn it off.

Hustla

BHQ
02-07-2006, 07:12 AM
wow, this is the first post i saw this morning. this after playing with a young kid last nite that was on his phone for roughly two hours, shooting with it propped on his shoulder or talking the entire time i was shooting. i had to tell him a half a dozen times to RACK 'EM, cause he was too busy talking. i finally told him to either get off the damn phone or play against someone else.
i get calls too, when i'm playing. unavoidable, which i make as quick as possible or ignore altogether, but to talk for two straight hours is rediculous and inconsiderate to the other player.

chefjeff
02-07-2006, 07:26 AM
Ah Ha! That is what they have been doing. They have one of those picture phones and are getting advice on their next shot! :D

I've been waiting for this problem to surface in our leagues. Methinks it is time to create a rule for this. Why not go to the league director and get this placed on the agenda for the next captains' meeting.

Just wait until there's the Phone Tooth where the sound is transmitted through the jaw bone....you'll never know what, if anything, the player is listening to. :eek: Coming soon to a store near you.

Perhaps aluminum foil over the head to stop the radio waves? :rolleyes:

Jeff Livingston

Andrew Manning
02-07-2006, 07:44 AM
In my APA league, it IS a foul unless you arrange otherwise. There's a girl on my team who's on call for her job sometimes, and so she's required to answer her phone if it rings, but if it's one of those nights, she explains the situation to the opposing team before the match and gets their approval to answer the phone if it's work calling.

But otherwise it's a ball-in-hand foul. I've never seen it get called, but the fact that the rule is there works. Whenever anyone's phone rings during their match, either they reject the call, or one of their teammates answers and takes a message. I think it's a good rule, maybe you all should seriously propose it in your leagues/tournaments.

-Andrew

Barbara
02-07-2006, 07:51 AM
In my tour you have to have your phone off while you are playing. If it goes off, the player will forfeit the game she is playing and is on warning for the rest of the tournament. If it happens again, she forfeits the match.

Barbara

Rich R.
02-07-2006, 08:04 AM
I don't know if it is a national rule, or just local, but it has been a foul to answer a cell phone call, while playing, in my APA league for quite a while.

People can say what they want, about the APA, but they are ahead of the game on this issue.

BTW, in my area, when you go to the upper level of playoffs, you can't even have a cell phone or a pager on your person. They don't want anyone sending you a little vibration signal, when you are taking the wrong shot. Don't think that this rule if over kill. People did it and that is when the put the rule in place.

Njhustler1
02-07-2006, 08:09 AM
It should definitely be a foul. You dont see people answering cell phones while playing any other sport, so what makes people think they can get away with it when playing a competetive pool match. :mad:

Brian in VA
02-07-2006, 09:34 AM
Cell phones have to be off or vibrate in our league. A cell phone ringing out loud during a match, by any team member even if they aren't playing, gets a warning the first time, ball in hand the 2nd, forfeit after that. Been that way for 4 years.

Brian in VA

scottycoyote
02-07-2006, 09:40 AM
oh man i have the same situation here, we dont play leagues or tourneys, its just a guy whos cellphone is constantly ringing and hes answering it. I mean constantly....im pretty sure he has his own pharmaceutical company if you know what i mean, so its like every 5 minutes. I used to play a guy who would answer his cell but he would put it up to his ear and continue to play, which i didnt mind lol, but this guy stops playing to answer which gets old after the first 15 calls.

nfty9er
02-07-2006, 10:05 AM
Do all you cell phone nay sayers also want the business owner to turn his business phone off also? I think it is silly. It is the nature of the sport of sounds coming from everywhere while you are playing. Think about it. The business phone, jukebox starting and stopping with mellow music or rock, video games, pin balls, t.v. not counting screaming from people watching their team. How about you get a call from the business phone. What a joke. Live with it and work it out with your opponent. This sport is not golf. In fact I think people get way too out of whack with noise on a golf course. Never bothered me except in the middle of a back swing when it was sudden. In pool we sort of focus out other sounds during our stroke, if we didn't we would be basket cases when you think about it. Look at what basketball players have to go through shooting free throws. It is just more whinning from pool. And I am a player, does not bother me.
Business phones, cell phones, whats the difference. My business phone rings off the hook at times.

Craig Fales
02-07-2006, 10:22 AM
Do all you cell phone nay sayers also want the business owner to turn his business phone off also? I think it is silly. It is the nature of the sport of sounds coming from everywhere while you are playing. Think about it. The business phone, jukebox starting and stopping with mellow music or rock, video games, pin balls, t.v. not counting screaming from people watching their team. How about you get a call from the business phone. What a joke. Live with it and work it out with your opponent. This sport is not golf. In fact I think people get way too out of whack with noise on a golf course. Never bothered me except in the middle of a back swing when it was sudden. In pool we sort of focus out other sounds during our stroke, if we didn't we would be basket cases when you think about it. Look at what basketball players have to go through shooting free throws. It is just more whinning from pool. And I am a player, does not bother me.
Business phones, cell phones, whats the difference. My business phone rings off the hook at times.

I think you're missing the point of cell phones versus "business phone"....the point is someone blabbing on their phones while playing with it propped on their shoulders...I've had people do that with me while playing...it's not a major problem here but annoying when it happens...as far as other noises around you when you're playing, they'r e off in the background and not as distracting and easier to drown out...
________
CALIFORNIA MEDICAL MARIJUANA DISPENSARY (http://california.dispensaries.org/)

nfty9er
02-07-2006, 10:37 AM
I think you're missing the point of cell phones versus "business phone"....the point is someone blabbing on their phones while playing with it propped on their shoulders...I've had people do that with me while playing...it's not a major problem here but annoying when it happens...as far as other noises around you when you're playing, they'r e off in the background and not as distracting and easier to drown out...

I know the difference, some posts are about ringing the other about talking. The ones about talking are easy to solve, just tell him or her to hang up the phone or the cue. Easily solved. And if a guy is stupid enough to play with someone 2 hours while he is doing that deserves what he gets. Two hours, I would have quit in two minutes.

scottycoyote
02-07-2006, 10:48 AM
personally i dont care if someones phone rings.......i dont care if they choose to answer it if its something very important, i certainly dont care if they choose to talk on it while they shoot at the same time (im playing for money). The only time i care is when someone persistently talks on the phone INSTEAD of playing pool when its their turn to shoot.

BHQ
02-07-2006, 10:48 AM
I know the difference, some posts are about ringing the other about talking. The ones about talking are easy to solve, just tell him or her to hang up the phone or the cue. Easily solved. And if a guy is stupid enough to play with someone 2 hours while he is doing that deserves what he gets. Two hours, I would have quit in two minutes.
i forgot to mention, i was taking his money while he was dickin' around on the phone. that's why i put up with it for that long. and the fact, that i was 17 once too. he was trying to line up a squeeze for later. haha! no need to call anyone stupid.
if it was league play, i would have taken the phone out his hand personally.

nfty9er
02-07-2006, 11:36 AM
i forgot to mention, i was taking his money while he was dickin' around on the phone. that's why i put up with it for that long. and the fact, that i was 17 once too. he was trying to line up a squeeze for later. haha! no need to call anyone stupid.
if it was league play, i would have taken the phone out his hand personally.

You have to admit without the explanation of winning money it would have been stupid. But that is what I figured but you didn't say it. So I take the stupid part back in your case.

nfty9er
02-07-2006, 11:41 AM
And that is ridiculous. Answer my question. Do you penalize the business owner for his or her phone ringing. What if a player gets a call on the business phone? Can't have it one way.

Tennesseejoe
02-07-2006, 11:55 AM
And that is ridiculous. Answer my question. Do you penalize the business owner for his or her phone ringing. What if a player gets a call on the business phone? Can't have it one way.

I wouldn't penalize a business owner for using the phone but he or she should not be so inconsiderate to set up a game with me and then waste my time by making me wait for him to finish the call to shoot.

nfty9er
02-07-2006, 12:05 PM
Some people would be inconsiderate and some would not but either way it never has and never will bother me. It is not a prevelant enough happening to let it bother me. The calls may be important, who cares. Just chill out or practice.

Ummagumma
02-07-2006, 12:07 PM
Cell calls are getting out of hand. I don't mind the sounds of cell phones ringing. Nor do I particularly mind if they answer it. But keep it bloody short ("I'm playing, call me back later"). And don't make me wait while you're talking on the cell phone.

On the other hand, if someone is going to be yapping, cell phone propped between head and shoulder while shooting, then hopefully their chances of making the shot or getting shape will go down.

BHQ
02-07-2006, 03:04 PM
You have to admit without the explanation of winning money it would have been stupid. But that is what I figured but you didn't say it. So I take the stupid part back in your case.
thanks buddy, no problem
and don't forget he was workin' on getting some tail too!! haha!
remember those days???

Snapshot9
02-07-2006, 03:14 PM
Most big tournaments I play in now REQUIRE that your cell phone to be turned completely off while playing a match.

Leagues and small tournaments - I think a 30 second time limit should be in effect for calls other than true emergencies, and the number of calls should be limited. The player can call back inbetween matches.

The calls that go on for 10-15 minutes are out of line, especially if the receive 3 or more during the life of 1 match (not to mention delaying the league match or tournament by 30-45 minutes which ends up running everyone late). Many young people in their 20's or early 30's abuse the use of it while playing, especially when it is their turn to shoot.

cuejoey
02-08-2006, 11:44 AM
Cell phones in a tournament !!!!!! if you must then turn it on vibrate ...you came to play serious pool right ...... i think about that scene in the Hustler where the counter man tells Newman no food no music just pool...(booz ok in my book)...have some respect for others...

nfty9er
02-08-2006, 12:23 PM
I cannot believe some of you people go on about the cell phones. First of all over the years they have been around I have not had one occassion that any cell phone was a problem. I am not saying it has not happened but it has to be few and far between. Have you attended the DCC? Cell phones going off everywhere, music playing, p.a. system going. Tv table announcing and cheering. How about the guy on the table next to you with a cannon for a break that scares the sh"" out of you everytime you hear it , and in your backstroke. Pool players have to live with those things. I have been playing pool 58 years and not once has someone taking a call or speaking on a cell phone bothered me. Like I said before it is not a golf match and the surrounding are a whole lot different. If TD's or league directors want to impose no cell phone rules fine, but I won't.

ScottW
02-08-2006, 12:35 PM
The point made is, that cell phones are an annoyance that *can be avoided*. The guy breaking loudly behind you, music playing in the venue, etc. are part of the atmosphere. Plus, your opponent doesn't generally stop match play due to such things - but he might if his phone rings.

Plus the aforementioned sneaky coaching bit, ringing someone's phone (which is on vibrate, in their pocket) to alert them that they're making a bad choice.

It's a valid point. I wouldn't mind at all if the rule of the day was "take your phone out of your pocket, turn it off, and set it aside during your match". Everyone's got voice mail on those things. If someone's on call, or needs to be reachable, they can hand their phone over to someone and tell them to answer it if it buzzes and to let the player know if it's an emergency or not.

Billy_Bob
02-08-2006, 12:38 PM
I don't object to the noise....

What I object to is when it is the other player's turn to shoot and he is on the phone. Sometimes I've had to wait 5 minutes for them the finish their call. Then they go back to the table and ask if they are stripes or solids.

Lately it is "text messaging". Another player will be sending these messages back and forth, so I'm doing a lot of waiting for them to finish their latest message. After they do this about 5 times, I'll say "Did you come here to play pool or to play with your cell phone?" And these are silly personal messages they are sending - giggling after receiving each message, etc.

I have no objection to someone getting a call and they say "I'm playing a match, I'll call you back later." And I have no objection with someone getting and "important" call like from work, babysitter, or whatever, and taking time to finish their call.

TheBook
02-08-2006, 12:39 PM
If I am doing something and my phone rings I let it go. That is why I have voice mail. I don't answer it while driving. I will wait, pullover and see what it is. Same when playing pool.

What can be so important for a business owner that they cannot enjoy a few minutes away from a phone. I cannot believe that someone is that important that they need to be tied to a business 24-7. If it is that stressing they need to get a life.

Most people are pretenders that want to make everyone think that they are real important. Real VIP's have a valet that handles, and screens the calls; they can't be bothered by trivial gimmicks.

StormHotRod300
02-08-2006, 01:34 PM
In the APA league i am in, its a Foul if you answer your cell phone while playing a match.

Only because some guy in the league usta be on his phone the whole time during his match. WHY? He had some guy sitting a couple tables away and had a clear view of his table, and was telling him what shots to take and when to play safe and all that stuff.

So when it was his turn to shoot he would put down the phone and shoot a couple shots till he would either miss or play safe, and then back on the phone it was.

Most people in the league know about the rule or get a warning, but if its a emergency, or if your on call for work, we just let the other team know before hand.

dave

Cane
02-08-2006, 01:43 PM
I play a little on the Midwest 9-Ball Tour. If your cell phone rings during a match, it's a ball in hand foul, and it SHOULD be. Anytime I'm playing pool, I set my cell phone to SILENT and put it in my cue case. Personally, I think it should be a foul in ANY setting, the penalty for which should be breaking the dialing finger of the offender.

Bob

Harold Smith
02-08-2006, 02:57 PM
Nyfer do you realize your the only person on 3 pages of feedback that thinks its ok to have a cell phone going off while your playing.---Smitty

nfty9er
02-08-2006, 06:43 PM
Nyfer do you realize your the only person on 3 pages of feedback that thinks its ok to have a cell phone going off while your playing.---Smitty

Better look again, there are several who could care less, and I am sure a lot more that think it is stupid and such don't think it is worth posting about. I posted because as a room owner and t.d., league director etc. etc. it is not a factor in anything and no one has yet to convince me the ringing is any worse than all the other nosies happening in a pool room or bar atmoshphere. Now talking and delaying a match is one thing which can be taken care of but I doubt many players would allow that to happen. It is only the whiney nits that would make an issue. I personally would always turn my phone off however out of respect to other players that although it should not bother them obviously there are people out there who it would bother psychologically.
Mr. Smith, you are not reading all the posts nor is anyone telling me what the difference is between the cell phone or house phone calls. And how often can it possibly be happening to cause people to make stupid rulesl. It reminds me of the bar player trying to call a foul when a ball kisses into called pocket. Real nit picking. Try and tell the room owner to turn off the music. The music can be a lot worse than a damn cell phone ringing.
And you know whats funny, I am old school, real old.

ryeth
02-08-2006, 07:03 PM
I hate ringing cell phones. They drive me nuts.... but that goes for anywhere :p So yea, that extends over to the pool halls. Seems like you can't go anywhere without listening to them ring all over the place now days. I find it rude when someone answers their phone in the middle of a match and starts chatting away.

My phone pretty much lives on vibrate... and occasionally I have forgot to turn it off when playing. When this happens I immediately turn it off and just deal with the call after shooting. Like someone said, that's why I got voicemail.

Non-pool related... but my biggest pet peeve is when I'm eating dinner or what not and someone starts talking on the phone :mad:

So yea, I'm all for the rule... I don't see anything being important enough to answer a phone for except the on call type people (such as dr's, medic's, fireman, etc).

My 2 cents.