PDA

View Full Version : The MiniBuffer ball polisher

TommyT
02-07-2006, 08:59 AM
I've got the mini buffer, but I'm not happy with the results. I wax the balls and wipe off most of the wax by hand. Then I spin them for about 10-15 seconds as per directions. Should I be spinning them longer?.
Does anyone think Bludworths ball solution would work with the buffer?. How about using Bluds solution and hand polishing?. I brought my balls to the poolhall the other day and the counterman polished them with their Ballstar machine. The results were fantastic.It was like a new set of balls. How can I get those results with the minibuffer?.

TommyT:confused:

Williebetmore
02-07-2006, 09:20 AM
Tommy T,
I've got some good news for you, and some bad news.

The bad news is that the "mini-buffer" was invented by the swinging Festrunk brothers (remember Steve Martin and Dan Aykroyd on SNL - 2 wild and crazy Czechoslovakian brothers in search of swinging American foxes). The good news is that the buffer can double as a marital aid if used judiciously (avoid use in the bathtub unless you have a cordless drill).

My advice is practice up on your Q-Skills challenge, then win the AZB tournament next DCC, use the winnings for a real ball polisher.

P.S. - I bought one of those cheap Korean BallStar ball washers/polishers (about $250 or $350, I don't remember), and even though the directions are completely unintelligible and hilarious, the thing polishes like a dream. The balls just freaking glisten - it's a beautiful thing. As much as you appreciate fine equipment - you MUST get a decent ball washer/polisher.

Run the Century
02-07-2006, 12:15 PM
I bought my Ballstar on the internet (they go from 250 all the way up to 700). The ballstar is the way to go - even for home use - they come out brand spanking new and dont skid. Worth the money and more. Can believe more pool halls dont get them.

Chris

Snapshot9
02-07-2006, 12:27 PM
for a friend of mine that has a bar (with 2 bar tables) for his personal use
at the bar, plus we started a ball cleaning service for bars for awhile.
The BallStar is very good in my opinion, and the extra kudo goes to the
fact that it cleans and polishes 8 balls in 1 minute and 50 seconds, so
a whole rack (cue ball included) is done in 5 minutes tops. Other ball cleaners can take 15-20 minutes for cleaning and polishing.

I ran the service during its life, and the BallStar paid for itself with our
service to other bars and small Pool rooms. (rooms with 6-7 tables).
We charged per rack, with a minimum fee since we came to them.
We offered reduced rates depending on the number of racks to be done.
It does weigh a little bit though, and is not what I would call light.
(I think it was 38 lbs shipping weight, but don't hold me to that)

I bought the BallStar from Gates Billiards in Dallas, Tx.. They provided
very good and fast service.