PDA

View Full Version : Cues as Investments

kentucky1pocket
02-07-2006, 08:01 PM
Please rate the following cuemakers in order of value in the distant future (say 10 years). Which would be the most valuable to invest in based on your personal opinion? I know other cuemakers are move valuable than some of these. However, these are the cuemakers I am particularly intersted in. Any help is appreciated

Richard Black
Ginacue
Judd
Bill McDaniel
Paul Mottey
Tim Scruggs
Tadd

ribdoner
02-07-2006, 08:15 PM
Please rate the following cuemakers in order of value in the distant future (say 10 years). Which would be the most valuable to invest in based on your personal opinion? I know other cuemakers are move valuable than some of these. However, these are the cuemakers I am particularly intersted in. Any help is appreciated

Richard Black
Ginacue
Judd
Bill McDaniel
Paul Mottey
Tim Scruggs
Tadd
Listing applicable to custom cues...not catalogue
GINA
TADD
MOTTEY
SCRUGGS
BLACK
JUDD
MCDANIEL
If RB's attention to detail were better I would rank him higher. I would probably rank them in the same order based on ROI vs INVESTMENT.:)

PoolSleuth
02-07-2006, 08:20 PM
Forget Cues, try Fidelity Contra Fund...

TATE
02-07-2006, 10:22 PM

Richard Black
Ginacue
Judd
Bill McDaniel
Paul Mottey
Tim Scruggs
Tadd

1. Tad

2. Gina

3. Mottey

4. Scruggs

I don't really think the others have proven to be investment grade at this time although they are obviously excellent cue makers. I think Scruggs are well under priced at this time. Judd might be an up and comer. Black and McDaniel values haven't gone anywhere.

For a re-cap on 10 years worth of collectible cues as investments, check out this work I did with the help of some friends here at A-Z:

http://www.palmercollector.com/CuesAsInvestments.html

Chris

PoolSleuth
02-08-2006, 05:40 AM
For a re-cap on 10 years worth of collectible cues as investments, check out this work I did with the help of some friends here at A-Z:

Chris

Your number are interesting on Collectable Cue, but I still like Mutual funds. As they are for the Most Part Liquid, and can for the Most Part be Rotated in and out of in 24-48 Hours.

Having a Few Cue is like a Fun thing, but I personally do not see them as a SERIOUS Collectable. To be held for Future Increasing in Value.

Maybe part of my lack of vision is Lack of FUNDS to buy the High Dollar Stuff that has the MOST POtential to Grow.

As for Tim Scruggs & Ernie G @ (Gina) they do make an Beautiful Cues.

I also wonder why the California Cuemaker Jerry McWorther is not on the list of those who Cues have potential for Value Growth.

cueaddicts
02-08-2006, 05:51 AM
When you think strictly of cues in terms of investment, here's something to think about.

Cues that are already priced relatively high that may go somewhat higher (perhaps Gina, Tad, B.Szam, etc.) and some that are inexpensive or very rare now that may prove to increase substantially (Hercek, Gilbert, Zylr, Searing, etc.) Many of the finest cues being sold now may already be selling for their top dollar, without much investment potential. Just a little food for thought.

Sean

SirBanksALot
02-08-2006, 06:12 AM
:D When you think strictly of cues in terms of investment, here's something to think about.

Cues that are already priced relatively high that may go somewhat higher (perhaps Gina, Tad, B.Szam, etc.) and some that are inexpensive or very rare now that may prove to increase substantially (Hercek, Gilbert, Zylr, Searing, etc.) Many of the finest cues being sold now may already be selling for their top dollar, without much investment potential. Just a little food for thought.

Sean

Hey Sean-

Why not bring together a group of investers. Each invester pledges a certain amount of money and the group, as a whole, purchases cues for investment purposes. The group must agree on purchases and must agree on selling etc etc etc.........

Although PoolSleuth is correct about the Fidelily ContraFund and others (how about T Rowe Price New Era Fund - yea baby!!) there isn't a lot of downside to buying cues - if you have the right group of people. You would certainly be key.:)

zeeder
02-08-2006, 07:15 AM
1. Tad

2. Gina

3. Mottey

4. Scruggs

I don't really think the others have proven to be investment grade at this time although they are obviously excellent cue makers. I think Scruggs are well under priced at this time. Judd might be an up and comer. Black and McDaniel values haven't gone anywhere.

Chris

Also, one has to realize that past performance is not indicative of future results!

bruin70
02-08-2006, 07:18 AM

Richard Black
Ginacue
Judd
Bill McDaniel
Paul Mottey
Tim Scruggs
Tadd

gina
tad with one d

SirBanksALot
02-08-2006, 07:49 AM
Also, one has to realize that past performance is not indicative of future results!

Ha LOL - You got that one right!!!!!:o

PoolSleuth
02-08-2006, 08:02 AM

What Next the Maranda Warning? :rolleyes:

zeeder
02-08-2006, 08:22 AM
What Next the Maranda Warning? :rolleyes:

You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say can, and will, be used against you in a court of law. You have the right to an attorney, if you can not afford one, you're screwed...lol.

TheBook
02-08-2006, 09:06 AM
I had a 63 Vette that I sold in 1967 for $2000. Was glad to get rid of it. About 10 years latter when I had a spare $2500 I put it into a stock. Left it there and reinvested the dividends. The total value today is aound $90,000. Had to pay taxes on those dividends during the years so the return is not as great as it seems. Will also have to pay taxes on the capital gaines when I sell. A lot of people will make a remark about how much that Vette would be worth today. If you figure in the insurance, storage, maintainance etc. future or past value of money it would probably work out to a realization of $2000 or less. Worked for Ford. Invested in the company. DId not sell in time and lost half before I bailed out.

What is worth more. Depends on what you want. I have money in speculation that could go the way of K Mart or I could have had a car that I am a slave to and use to attend car cruises to sit around, drink and talk about the good old days.

So today I buy a nice cue. Use it to keep both my mind and body active, hang around pool halls, drink and talk about the good old days.

$2000 to $3000 isn't going to change my life one way or another. No matter how I "invest" it. Unless I am lucky enough to invest in a new company that will take off like IBM or Microsoft did. I was reading that if you invested $2000 in 1989 in Mirage Resorts (Steve Wynn) it would be worth over $2,000,000. today. No cue stick will do this and not too many stocks.

PoolSleuth
02-09-2006, 08:48 AM
$2000 to $3000 isn't going to change my life one way or another. No matter how I "invest" it. Unless I am lucky enough to invest in a new company that will take off like IBM or Microsoft did. I was reading that if you invested $2000 in 1989 in Mirage Resorts (Steve Wynn) it would be worth over $2,000,000. today. No cue stick will do this and not too many stocks.

Had you put that 2-3K in google the Day it was Released about 2 years ago it would be worth.:confused:

As Far as Maranda:

The following is a minimal Miranda warning, as outlined in the Miranda v Arizona case.

You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say can and will be used against you in a court of law. You have the right to be speak to an attorney, and to have an attorney present during any questioning. If you cannot afford a lawyer, one will be provided for you at government expense.

The following is a much more verbose Miranda warning, designed to cover all bases that a detainee might encounter while in police custody. A detainee may be asked to sign a statement acknowledging the following.

You have the right to remain silent and refuse to answer questions. Do you understand?
Anything you do say may be used against you in a court of law. Do you understand?
You have the right to consult an attorney before speaking to the police and to have an attorney present during questioning now or in the future. Do you understand?
If you cannot afford an attorney, one will be appointed for you before any questioning if you wish. Do you understand?
If you decide to answer questions now without an attorney present you will still have the right to stop answering at any time until you talk to an attorney. Do you understand?
Knowing and understanding your rights as I have explained them to you, are you willing to answer my questions without an attorney present?