PDA

View Full Version : What is your Favorite Pool Game & Why

PoolSleuth
02-08-2006, 07:56 AM
What is your SingleFavorite Pool Game & Why

Thought this would be a Fun Poll as we got a Bunch of New Members.....:D

Fast Lenny
02-08-2006, 08:01 AM
One Pocket,fun to play,kinda boring to watch.I like uno hole because its a game of chess,you have to learn great cue ball and multiple ball control,banks,and also defense is important,it helps other games,when i get that bank on the 9 ball for the win,its a hanger because of all my one pocket play,my safes have improved tremendously.;)

PoolSleuth
02-08-2006, 08:31 AM
Well I forgot to put BANK POOL in the Poll...

Black-Balled
02-08-2006, 08:33 AM
And pocket pool, tool.

Black-Balled
02-08-2006, 08:34 AM
One Pocket,fun to play,kinda boring to watch.I like uno hole because its a game of chess,you have to learn great cue ball and multiple ball control,banks,and also defense is important,it helps other games,when i get that bank on the 9 ball for the win,its a hanger because of all my one pocket play,my safes have improved tremendously.;)

Bet what you want: you bank the 9...

Fast Lenny
02-08-2006, 10:47 AM

If i get out of line then i will,as for betting if you are ever in OCNY area then let me know and perhaps we can set soemthing up.:)

Icon of Sin
02-08-2006, 10:55 AM
I like 9 ball, it is fast, clean, and fun. I like the challenge of having to get on the next ball rather then shooting and still having plenty of other balls to shoot if you screw up the position.

Jaden
02-08-2006, 10:59 AM
Nineball is one of the few games that to play it excellently, you have to know exactly what's going to happen. Other games if you make a mistake there are often other outs. I know a lot of people are going to jump on this, and say that many games have less luck etc...etc.... But of the games that can be played perfectly. I think nineball is the best.

shoutout33
02-08-2006, 11:07 AM
One-Pocket, basically because it slows me down and forces me to think. I still kind of like 9-ball, but not like I used to. Ever since the IPT came out, I've kind of been on the 8-ball wagon, but I also realized that there are more simularities between one-pocket and 8-ball than 9-ball...IMHO. One-Pocket takes a lot of patience too, so if you want to learn that in pool its the game to go to.

supergreenman
02-08-2006, 11:10 AM
Nineball is one of the few games that to play it excellently, you have to know exactly what's going to happen. Other games if you make a mistake there are often other outs. I know a lot of people are going to jump on this, and say that many games have less luck etc...etc.... But of the games that can be played perfectly. I think nineball is the best.

Nothing beats a perfect game of snooker. IMO

I like 8-ball best, with 1 pocket coming in a near second. And WOW btw at how popular 1 pocket is here. I introduced this game to my teammates as a practice game and they took to it quick. I was really impressed at how fast they learned the strategies involved.

Cane
02-08-2006, 11:14 AM
Well, I chose one pocket, because it requires more thought and a knowledge of more shots than the other games, IMO. Honestly, you didn't have my favorite game on there. My favorite is short rack Banks. I love banks, because most people don't bank as well as they THINK they do. There's a lot of difference between banking a ball in the middle of a game of 9-Ball and banking balls playing position for the next bank and the next one, and the next one, etc.

Later,
Bob

RunArak
02-08-2006, 11:20 AM
BANK POOL.... Not in the poll

"Straight Back" Truman Hogue

Black-Balled
02-08-2006, 11:20 AM
If i get out of line then i will,as for betting if you are ever in OCNY area then let me know and perhaps we can set soemthing up.:)

10-4 to that (but what is OCNY?!). Unknown to me:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black-Balled

BillyKoda
02-08-2006, 11:38 AM
Bottle Pool is my favorite, played with the one ball, two ball and the pill bottle. Usually on Snooker table.

SphinxnihpS
02-08-2006, 12:10 PM
Bottle Pool is my favorite, played with the one ball, two ball and the pill bottle. Usually on Snooker table.

Bottle pool is indeed a very fun game!

Fast Lenny
02-08-2006, 12:29 PM
10-4 to that (but what is OCNY?!). Unknown to me:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black-Balled

Its Orange County New York,you know where the Orance County Choppers guys are from?I like action depending on your level of play,if you play pro or semi pro then your out of my league by far,if your a short stop then perhaps i can get you some action.:cool:

Fast Lenny
02-08-2006, 12:29 PM
ONE POCKET RULES!

Black-Balled
02-08-2006, 12:38 PM
Its Orange County New York,you know where the Orance County Choppers guys are from?I like action depending on your level of play,if you play pro or semi pro then your out of my league by far,if your a short stop then perhaps i can get you some action.:cool:

Sounds like we are ready for some Act-teee-on!! I hope, one day, to grow into a shortstop. Only play 1-5 hrs a week tho, so you know how it go...see ya in philly?!
I might even try to learn to play 1pocket

Fast Lenny
02-08-2006, 12:51 PM
Im sure you already know how to play one hole,but i will be down at VF too and perhaps we can meet up and play some or go to the action table and bet on a horse.:)

Black-Balled
02-08-2006, 01:05 PM
Ahh- I will not be@ VF- I just mentioned Philly as a 1/.2way point, although, maybe now I should tell the wife I have to goto VF...hmmmmm:)

thoffen
02-08-2006, 01:16 PM
I put straight pool. Truth be told, I suck at it. It gets in my head and makes me think too much. But recently I've been trying to learn the game. I think it will lead to a lot more mental consistency and more decisive action in my other games. 9-ball is easy because the shots are numbered for you. You are limited in your choices. There's still strategy involved, but there's less distraction from other options.

pharaoh68
02-08-2006, 01:18 PM

I play nine ball but I just learned bank pool and I have to say its quickly becoming my favorite. Thats why I picked other.

CaptainHook
02-08-2006, 01:24 PM
I voted 8 Ball, cause i have been playing allot lately. My true Love is 1P:D .
Not to many players around here, so it is easier to get a good game of 8
or 9Ball.

Rude Dog
02-08-2006, 01:24 PM
Hey, when did all those other games come out? 9 Ball is the only game I've ever heard of.;)

SphinxnihpS
02-08-2006, 01:31 PM
The most fun game in my opinion is a game few people know, Six-Pocket.

Six-pocket is a multiplayer game for 2-7 players (or more if special balls are employed). Since a standard set of balls only has 14 color-matched pairs of balls, having more than 7 players requires a white 8-ball for the eigth player, and/or another color-matched pair of balls which can be easily identified from the standard balls.

It is a similar game to "Golf" or "Golf-pool", but much more entertaining.

Six-pocket

Minimum Requirements

Pool table, rack of pool balls,2 or more players, pad of paper and a pencil.

Rules

Every player has their own color-matched personal object ball and personal cue ball which they keep for the duration of the game. If your object ball is the nine ball, then your cuball is the one ball, 2 10, 3 11, and do forth. There is also a common cue ball, which may be used by anyone on any shot.

The game begins by drawing or flipping for order.
The first player spots his object ball on the foot spot, his cuball in the center of the table, and the common cue ball on the head spot.
The first player, using his personal cueball (because the common cueball is blocked by his personal cue ball, but not illegal to use), attempts to make a bank shot at pocket number 1, which is the right pocket on the head side (kitchen), of the table. If he pockets his object ball in the #1 pocket, his cue ball is left where it is, the common cueball is left where it is, and he sits down and begins to keep score, tallying one stroke for each player that makes a legal shot, and four strokes for each player that fouls. Four strokes is the maximum any player may receive in one turn. If the first shooter misses, the balls are left where they are.
Player #2 now tries to pocket his ball in pocket #1. The same applies to his balls being left where they are.
Player #3, #4, etc. shoot in order. After the last player in the order takes his turn, the order begins again at the first player, provided he is not "in", in which case it would skip to the next player in the order who is not "in".
Once a player legally pockets his ball in pocket #1, he sits down and no further strokes are counted against him.
Once all player have successfully pocketed their object ball in pocket #1, the first player to do so re-spots his object ball on the foot spot, and shoots for pocket #2, using either his personal cueball or the common cueball. Pocket #2 is the lefthand head pocket. At this point it is likely that the player order has changed. The shooting order always starts with the first person to pocket the his object ball in the previous pocket, then the second, then third, and so on. It is HIGHLY RECOMENDED to write down the order for each pocket.
Once all players have pocketed their object ball into pocket #2, the first player to do so, spots his object ball, and attampts pocket #3, the left side pocket. This goes on until all players have pocketed their object balls in the #6 pocket, the right side pocket, at which point the game ends.

Note: A player is considered to have successfully pocketed his personal oject ball even when it is another player that causes it. In other words, if player #2 pockets player #4's personal object ball into the correct pocket. Player #4 is "in", and player #2 receives a foul (see below).

Fouls

Fouls include:

Touching any ball by accident (some people play cue ball fouls only).
Pocketing any cueball.
Pocketing your personal object ball in the wrong pocket.
Pocketing any other player's personal object ball (including on a shot where you pocket your personal object ball in the correct pocket!).
Knocking any ball off the table.
Miscuing where the cueball comes into contact with any of the lateral surface of the cue, or is struck more than one time.
Failing to make a legal hit on your object ball (ball driven to a rail, frozen ball rules, etc.)
Shooting out of turn. It is the shooting players responsibility to make sure it is their turn, though any other player may tell someone that they are shooting out of turn, and if the shooter asks, it is incumbant on the other players to be truthfull. Spectators should keep their mouths shut!
Shooting while the table layout is not correct. Again, it is up to the player to pay attention, though they may always ask, and anyone may say (except spectators).
A shooter automatically loses their turn on any foul. If a player shoots out of order, it is a foul, and he loses his next regular turn.

Scoring

The object of the game is to have the lowest point/stroke total.
The first person to sucessfully pocket their personal object ball in the correct pocket is the score keeper for the duration of that pocket.
Each player receives one point for each legal stroke AFTER the first person has made his object ball in the correct pocket. Until a player does this, no strokes are counted against anyone, unless they have fouled.
A player who commits a foul receives 4 points, even if nobody has pocketed their object ball in the correct pocket. There can only be one foul on a player in any given turn, with a maximum of 4 points; e.g. Player #3 attempts to make a hit on his object ball, but fails, instead hitting one of his opponents cueballs sending it and another players object ball into the wrong pocket. Though technically 3 fouls have occured, the fouling player only receives 4 points.

Fouls Clarification

If an object ball is knocked off the table or pocketed IN THE WRONG POCKET, it is the responsability of the incoming shooter to spot the object ball on the foot spot (or behind it twoards the foot rail if the space is occupied by another ball), BEFORE commencing his turn. Object balls should be FROZEN when spoted adjacent to each other.
If a PERSONAL cueball is knocked off the table or pocketed, it should be spotted in the center of the table by the incoming shooter BEFORE commencing his turn. Again, if the ceter spot is occupied by another ball, the personal cueball should be spotted twoards the foot rail. Cueballs should be spotted as close to but NOT FROZEN, to any other balls.
If the common cueball is knocked off the table, it is spotted by the incoming shooter BEFORE commencing his turn. Once again, towards the foot rail if necessary.
If another player's personal object ball is pocket in the CORRECT POCKET, the shooter receives a foul, and the player who had his ball pocket is "in" for the duration of that pocket.
You are not required to call a foul on yourself (though gentlemen do).
Any other player may request an unbiased temporary referee watch for fouls on close shots PRIOR to the shot.
If 50% or more of the opposing players agree that a foul was commited, or the temporary referee says a foul was committed, the shooter receives a foul and 4 points. If you don't like this, you may modify it to taste.

Special Exceptions

On any player's opening shot of the game, and only on thier opening shot, if they deem it necessary, they may request that all personal cueballs between the foot string and foot rail be spotted off the table and replced after their shot. Object balls and the common cueball may NOT be spotted of the table. This rule comes into play occasionally on the opening shot when other players' cueballs are blocking the path of the incoming shooter's shot at the #1 pocket. Cueballs between the foot string and the head rail may not be spotted off the table EVEN when they are blocking the path of the incoming shooter's first shot at pocket #1.

Fin

That took me awhile to get all down, and I may have missed some points, but the basic rules are layed out. Of course you may modify any rules as you see fit, but these rules have been adopted over many of hours playing th game with various people, to eliminate, as much as possible, all contention, and make the game as fair as possible to all players.

Normally the game is played for a set amount of money per point.

$.25 per point is a cheap game with four players, but can get quite expensive when more players are added. Generally the more players in the game, the more expensive it will be on a per point basis, as the pockets tend to get jammed up with everyone's object and cueballs more with more players, causing more strokes. In a seven way game, the worst thing you can do is nearly make your ball in a corner pocket, because by the time you shoot again, it is likely you will have been surrounded (quite intentionally), by the other player's balls, making a legal hit difficult or impossible.

The game is quite fun and exciting because you are playing offense for yourself, and defense against ALL of the other players. Paying attention to where everyone elses balls are, the score, and the shooting order is paramount.

Most anyone that plays this game several times is addicted.

Enjoy:)

bznsharkie
02-08-2006, 01:35 PM
I voted for 8 ball, but I have recently been getting into 9 ball as well. I enjoy the small element of chance in 9 ball, as well as how it forces me to set up shots. Being new I feel that I learn more from playing 9 ball then 8 ball.

Black-Balled
02-08-2006, 01:53 PM
Hey, when did all those other games come out? 9 Ball is the only game I've ever heard of.;)

That's what I was thinking!
or,
If you say you don't play pocket pool, you are a liar, Dog!

whichever is better for you- have a nice day...

Rude Dog
02-08-2006, 02:01 PM
That's what I was thinking!
or,
If you say you don't play pocket pool, you are a liar, Dog!

whichever is better for you- have a nice day...
Hell, I'm playin' Pocket Pool right now, typing with 1 hand.:D

PoolSleuth
02-09-2006, 06:00 AM
One Pocket has MORE VOTES than any other GAME....:confused:

catscradle
02-09-2006, 06:26 AM
... because its a game of chess ...

Probably why I don't like it. I learned chess when I was a kid (7 or 8) stopped playing within a year because it took people so long to make a move. Other than that, I like the aspects you mention about 1-pocket.
My biggest bug-a-boo in all pool games is lack of patience. I swear one of these days I'm going to see one of these great thinkers take out a laptop and run a program to determine his next shot. lol.
I love pool, but there is no comparison to a reaction sport, one where you need to react to the flow of the game with virtually no time to think.

catscradle
02-09-2006, 06:27 AM
Hell, I'm playin' Pocket Pool right now, typing with 1 hand.:D

Your on the wrong website if you're doing that.

jsp
02-09-2006, 07:27 AM
8ball is the quintessential pocket billiards game. It combines the great aspects of each pool game (shot-making and position play of 9ball, patterns and cluster-solving of 14.1, shot selection and strategy of one pocket) and fuses them all into one game. It's the only game where two bangers can have fun playing, as well as two world-class professionals.

Travis Bickle
02-09-2006, 08:06 AM
Didn't think 9 ball needed my support until I looked at that poll, lol. All these great brains around here who love to be forced to do all this THINKING, with one-pocket and 14.1! I think I'd rather be forced to come with the big shot, like you do in 9 ball, and not have to think so much because I'm pretty simple, at least when I'm done with WORK and am looking to PLAY. :)

I like one-pocket some, 14.1 maybe a little less because it's such heavy lifting, and because I'm sucking at it these days, grrrrr.

BlackDragon
02-09-2006, 08:52 AM
I depends who I'm playing. I went the other night with my girlfriends son. I whip him at eightball so no fun for him so we changed to nineball cause you never know, its the last ball down or chance it. But I like rotation pool with the fifteen balls and getting points for each numbered ball. I really like that game. Then straight pool I love to play racks by myself and just get into my body flow. Nineball usually I think is a little childish. Straight pool is such an honest game.

Gunn_Slinger
02-09-2006, 08:57 AM
Bank Pool then one pocket so cast my vote for bank pool.

5ballcharlie
02-09-2006, 09:43 PM
What is your SingleFavorite Pool Game & Why

Thought this would be a Fun Poll as we got a Bunch of New Members.....:D
I really love rotation. It makes me concentrate and play very good positon. It also forces you to go for tough shots. Another good thing about it is it makes 9 ball look so easy ;) Straight pool is second. AND YOU FORGOT GOLF alot of people play it here

1 Pocket Ghost
02-12-2006, 10:22 PM
8ball is the quintessential pocket billiards game. It combines the great aspects of each pool game (shot-making and position play of 9ball, patterns and cluster-solving of 14.1, shot selection and strategy of one pocket) and fuses them all into one game. It's the only game where two bangers can have fun playing, as well as two world-class professionals.

No offense, but your wrong about the one pocket component....8 ball does not even have 1% of the very specific to one pocket shot selections, and the infinitely complex strategy choices that are considered and employed when playing top level one pocket.

hilla_hilla
02-12-2006, 11:13 PM
One pocket. I am terrible at it but I love the defense and strategy involved with the game. I also love how there are so many different styles to play one pocket and how the levels of play vary so much!

Masayoshi
02-13-2006, 04:07 AM
i like 14.1 the best. i like games where you are required to think more than 3 or 4 moves ahead.

Harold Smith
02-13-2006, 04:08 AM
I vote for 1 Pocket. It is a game that will make all your other games better. --Smitty