PDA

View Full Version : Schuler Cues

ndakotan
02-08-2006, 11:33 AM
I was just wondering what the consensus is of Schuler SLC cues is vs the ones made when Ray was alive. I want to buy another Schuler (I have an SLC that I love) and I don't know if I should get one that Ray signed (which may not be the design I prefer) or get an SLC cue that has a design that I like.

Thanks in advance

Cornerman
02-08-2006, 11:52 AM
I was just wondering what the consensus is of Schuler SLC cues is vs the ones made when Ray was alive. I want to buy another Schuler (I have an SLC that I love) and I don't know if I should get one that Ray signed (which may not be the design I prefer) or get an SLC cue that has a design that I like.

Thanks in advance

The cues made slight changes throughout the years, even when Ray was alive. The most notable was the butt getting thinner once Ray was convinced by his employees that everyone's hands weren't as big as his!

Anyway, if you buy an SLC, you won't find any appreciable difference between it and anything made since, say, 1995. Earlier models will have a different butt taper. IMO, the hit is exactlly the same.

I have four including a custom SLC I got a little over a year ago and an older Oak model with aluminum joint collar from the early 80's.

Fred

tedkaufman
02-09-2006, 12:15 PM
I agree with Cornerman--there is no difference in the appearance or playability between an original Schuler and a SLC (butt diameter aside). Schuler cues are excellent.

If I were to choose a production cue, a Schuler SLC would be my first choice without hesitation.

kokopuffs
02-09-2006, 02:16 PM
What is an SLC? Please explain.

TannerPruess
02-09-2006, 02:50 PM
SLC means it was made after Ray Schuler's death.

Cornerman
02-10-2006, 08:13 AM

Thanks in advance

Whoops. There was another change. They are putting the wrap slightly farther back. Maybe an inch back? The idea was that they noticed most people don't use the front part of the wrap, and often have their grip on the butt sleeve.

Fred

Cornerman
02-10-2006, 08:15 AM
What is an SLC? Please explain.
Cues made after Ray's death are signed by one of the employees as "Ray Schuler SLC," for Schuler Legacy Cue.

Fred