PDA

View Full Version : Pool in the News - Nice long article about the WPBA Florida Classic

AuntyDan
02-09-2006, 12:49 AM
I know it was a few months ago but I just came across this nice long article by Wyatt Olson from Florida's New Times. (Forgive me if this has been posted before) It features interviews with Jeanette Lee and Jennifer Berratta. It also has Shari Stauch talking frankly about the success of the WPBA against Men's Pro events:

"I think we're the only sport now where the women pros are leading the way," asserts Shari Stauch, publisher of Pool & Billiard magazine and a long-time pro who retired last year. "We have more sponsors. The players, individually, have more sponsors. We have more television hours. And our entire tour is televised. And the men have none of that."

"Sure, men are better players", admits Stauch, who also works as a spokeswoman for the Women's Professional Billiard Association. "But with sports in America now, it's no longer a factor of how well you play; it's how many people know you play."

Full article is here (http://www.newtimesbpb.com/Issues/2005-01-13/news/feature_full.html).

sjm
02-09-2006, 04:24 AM
I know it was a few months ago but I just came across this nice long article by Wyatt Olson from Florida's New Times. (Forgive me if this has been posted before) It features interviews with Jeanette Lee and Jennifer Berratta. It also has Shari Stauch talking frankly about the success of the WPBA against Men's Pro events:

"I think we're the only sport now where the women pros are leading the way," asserts Shari Stauch, publisher of Pool & Billiard magazine and a long-time pro who retired last year. "We have more sponsors. The players, individually, have more sponsors. We have more television hours. And our entire tour is televised. And the men have none of that."

"Sure, men are better players", admits Stauch, who also works as a spokeswoman for the Women's Professional Billiard Association. "But with sports in America now, it's no longer a factor of how well you play; it's how many people know you play."

Full article is here (http://www.newtimesbpb.com/Issues/2005-01-13/news/feature_full.html).

This article is ancient. It recounts the 2004 WPBA Florida Classic played in December of 2004. Not a bad read, though.

AuntyDan
02-09-2006, 10:10 AM
This article is ancient. It recounts the 2004 WPBA Florida Classic played in December of 2004. Not a bad read, though.

D'oh! I mis-read the date, thought it was Jan 13, 2006 not 2005!