PDA

View Full Version : starting new club, alot of info needed

Solartje
02-10-2006, 12:36 PM
hiya all,

solly has been thinking again, and well i got fed up with not having a BPBF pool club in brussel the capital of belgium. I had posted it already i found ir hard to believe but thats just the way it is. U also know i love to do everything i can do make a difference, so ive given it a thought, and im going to start a club in brussel. I got the suport of one of the board members, but he is so busy its hard for him to find time to realise my idea's/dreams and i wanted to get info from people who have done it before me.

Now what i am aiming for:

- a place that has a minimum of quality, 9" tables
- a place thats not in the bad area's of brussel, so u dont have to be scared to parc your car outside, be scared to get into fights 24/7,
- a place that has easy acces for people outside of brussel, by car, train, bus. (with tournaments in mind etc)
- a place where clubmembers could play once or twice a week for free, and for the rest of the week they can play at a reduced price
- a place where u can find better players to increase your own game, but any level would be welcome. Its not a pro only.
- a place where we could start with hometournaments
- a club that would participate in interclubs, national competitions etc.

now i have SO many questions:
- i supose we need beside players also alot of planning guys; a secretary, a tournament responsible, a club director, etc. Could u tell me exactly what people we should need, and if it would be possible for one person to be different guys at the same time. (as we are going to have to start very small, i was thinking of doing alot of the work myself)
- information: Good information, and publicity is important. i am good at different things, and i could make a website, a newsletter, a posterdesigner, etc
- club wear: i supose every club needs his own competition wear. I could design the clubwear. what is needed? only a polo? are there any regulations about it? (in belgium its only needed for it to be a polo, color etc are free to use, but are there any international regulations about it?) i supose our national flag on the shoulders like in military, a logo at the back, name of player in the front.
- i was going to take 2 3 days to check out every poolhall there is in brussel and make a raport on the quality of the table, the poolhall itself, how safe it is, check on transport fascilities etc.
- i was thinking of 8 players as a minimum for us to start

questions:
- i need a name for the club, most clubs i know have the name of the establisment. is this a kind of unwritten rule? or just something fair vs the poolhall owner? or could i name ourselfs poolhalljunkies or something like that?
- what fee's could i ask for members to pay / year. (what would these fee's pay? the clubpolo's? or do they have to pay for them seperatly? what % of the fee's could i use to pay for the expenses of for example the hosting of the website, printing posters for tournaments? etc etc
- what kind of people do i need AT least; (secretary, director, etc etc)
- should i have at least a player of each level? A, B , C , D level? or doesnt it matter?
- I was thinking of, (once i found the right poolhall) to make a promotional tournament to find as many poolminded players, and use the oportunity to lounge the club, and maybe atract more players who would be interested in joining.
- the small houstournaments. what would be the best to start off? monthly tournaments or weekly? pure for fun (5$ fee, but no price winning?) or put higher the entree fee, so we can give the winner something? any best tournament format for us to start with?
- fee's to pay / hour. What do u think of 2 days / week where people could play for free, and 50% reduction on the other days compared to normal prices? (or should i lower this?)
- buy a set of pro quality poolball's for MEMBERS only. (who should pay for this? take it of the club fee's they would pay / month? the poolhall owner?)
- Does the club have to pay anything to the poolhall owner? or does he just gets his interest by having more players, and more money from drink /food etc?
- do u think i could realise my dream? or do i need to have at least some more people who are ready to invest the time needed to start a club? Im very polivalent (that a englisch word?) and i can do ALOT, but im sure if im putting TO much work on my back. (ps im not a pro or anything, i just got a VERY big passion for pool, and i like to be able to look back and say, i did something with my life, and i gave something back to the sport as a reward for giving me this wonderfull game.. *small tears start rolling* :D

I know i cant ask somone to post a step by step guide on how to start your own club, but well.... that would be VERY handy :D i know IF someone COULD post this, it would take some time to post everything i need to know, but maybe the satisfaction u helped me out on building a dream/idea could be enough.

im REALLY REALLY REALLY serious about this, and i WANT to make this happen, and being a perfectionist id like it to be as good as i can possibly make it. I hope i will get alot of reply's, that are constructive and can teach me as much as it can. I really am just a silly solly, but i got many dreams, and im ready to do ALOT to get there... hope AZB'ers can help me achieve my dream.

kind regards from silly solly, and plz no OT posts. This is a serious matter.

Tbeaux
02-10-2006, 01:05 PM
hiya all,

solly has been thinking again, and well i got fed up with not having a BPBF pool club in brussel the capital of belgium. I had posted it already i found ir hard to believe but thats just the way it is. U also know i love to do everything i can do make a difference, so ive given it a thought, and im going to start a club in brussel. I got the suport of one of the board members, but he is so busy its hard for him to find time to realise my idea's/dreams and i wanted to get info from people who have done it before me.

Now what i am aiming for:

- a place that has a minimum of quality, 9" tables
- a place thats not in the bad area's of brussel, so u dont have to be scared to parc your car outside, be scared to get into fights 24/7,
- a place that has easy acces for people outside of brussel, by car, train, bus. (with tournaments in mind etc)
- a place where clubmembers could play once or twice a week for free, and for the rest of the week they can play at a reduced price
- a place where u can find better players to increase your own game, but any level would be welcome. Its not a pro only.
- a place where we could start with hometournaments
- a club that would participate in interclubs, national competitions etc.

now i have SO many questions:
- i supose we need beside players also alot of planning guys; a secretary, a tournament responsible, a club director, etc. Could u tell me exactly what people we should need, and if it would be possible for one person to be different guys at the same time. (as we are going to have to start very small, i was thinking of doing alot of the work myself)
- information: Good information, and publicity is important. i am good at different things, and i could make a website, a newsletter, a posterdesigner, etc
- club wear: i supose every club needs his own competition wear. I could design the clubwear. what is needed? only a polo? are there any regulations about it? (in belgium its only needed for it to be a polo, color etc are free to use, but are there any international regulations about it?) i supose our national flag on the shoulders like in military, a logo at the back, name of player in the front.
- i was going to take 2 3 days to check out every poolhall there is in brussel and make a raport on the quality of the table, the poolhall itself, how safe it is, check on transport fascilities etc.
- i was thinking of 8 players as a minimum for us to start

questions:
- i need a name for the club, most clubs i know have the name of the establisment. is this a kind of unwritten rule? or just something fair vs the poolhall owner? or could i name ourselfs poolhalljunkies or something like that?
- what fee's could i ask for members to pay / year. (what would these fee's pay? the clubpolo's? or do they have to pay for them seperatly? what % of the fee's could i use to pay for the expenses of for example the hosting of the website, printing posters for tournaments? etc etc
- what kind of people do i need AT least; (secretary, director, etc etc)
- should i have at least a player of each level? A, B , C , D level? or doesnt it matter?
- I was thinking of, (once i found the right poolhall) to make a promotional tournament to find as many poolminded players, and use the oportunity to lounge the club, and maybe atract more players who would be interested in joining.
- the small houstournaments. what would be the best to start off? monthly tournaments or weekly? pure for fun (5$ fee, but no price winning?) or put higher the entree fee, so we can give the winner something? any best tournament format for us to start with?
- fee's to pay / hour. What do u think of 2 days / week where people could play for free, and 50% reduction on the other days compared to normal prices? (or should i lower this?)
- buy a set of pro quality poolball's for MEMBERS only. (who should pay for this? take it of the club fee's they would pay / month? the poolhall owner?)
- Does the club have to pay anything to the poolhall owner? or does he just gets his interest by having more players, and more money from drink /food etc?
- do u think i could realise my dream? or do i need to have at least some more people who are ready to invest the time needed to start a club? Im very polivalent (that a englisch word?) and i can do ALOT, but im sure if im putting TO much work on my back. (ps im not a pro or anything, i just got a VERY big passion for pool, and i like to be able to look back and say, i did something with my life, and i gave something back to the sport as a reward for giving me this wonderfull game.. *small tears start rolling* :D

I know i cant ask somone to post a step by step guide on how to start your own club, but well.... that would be VERY handy :D i know IF someone COULD post this, it would take some time to post everything i need to know, but maybe the satisfaction u helped me out on building a dream/idea could be enough.

im REALLY REALLY REALLY serious about this, and i WANT to make this happen, and being a perfectionist id like it to be as good as i can possibly make it. I hope i will get alot of reply's, that are constructive and can teach me as much as it can. I really am just a silly solly, but i got many dreams, and im ready to do ALOT to get there... hope AZB'ers can help me achieve my dream.

kind regards from silly solly, and plz no OT posts. This is a serious matter.

Solly,

I'll think about your questions and try to come up with some reasonable answers. The first thing I would suggest is talk to the BPBF officials (or email) about your idea and see if they have regulations, procedures, fees,etc. Then maybe contact someone elsewhere in your country who has setup a "SUCCESSFUL" club. Then check around for places to have a club (meet the owners/manager) and see if they have any interest in hosting a club. The ideas about club fees and such (money stuff) needs to wait until you find out what the hall owner will do as far as table time,the BPBF fees (if any),costs of polos,cost of whatever form of club communication (newsletter,website,etc) you use.
That's enough brain activity on my part for now I think.:D

Terry

Solartje
02-10-2006, 01:10 PM
ive done a part of your first answer. One of the board member who is responsible of the region where brussel is a part off. in fact , it was him who asked me if i would be interested in starting it up. He knows my passion, he knows my game, and he knows when i got a dream, ill MAKE it. but like i said, he is SO busy, it takes months before i get answers.

About BPBF fee's ive rescieved them. i was wondering who would finance it?
did i forget any financial things, i would have to ask the poolhall owners on what they would finance?

for the moment, im making a list of all the places to visit, but i need to make a list of questions i need to ask the owners , so i dont waiste my time by driving aroung all day. Are there any questions u think i forgot?

thx for the 1st reply terry :) nice to see ur always there to help me too. respect m8

Tbeaux
02-10-2006, 01:27 PM
First if you know any locals who compete see if they're interested in a club. They may have ideas for poolhalls and names. Will the club be male only or male and female?

Question for poolhalls-
1) Would they be interested in hosting a BPBF pool club.
2) Would they be interested in sponsoring the club (paying for much of the expenses).
3) What days,night,times would it be convenient for the club to meet.
4) Would discount or free table time be available.
5)If the club came up with the logo would theywant to pay for the polos(see #2 above).
6)Any drink or food discounts?

Terry

Solartje
02-10-2006, 02:16 PM
nice terry :) for the question, it would be male and female. since 1year (i think) the BPBF has made a effort to make a seperate ranking for woman, and i think the best way to contribute promoting pool for woman is to let them have same acces as man do. I believe in equal rights. (ow and my gf will join :p )

the question list seems very good for a first contact. i was a bit surprised a poolhall would pay for some expenses. Im really not a expert in poolhall's etc, but if some poolhalls do pay for some expenses of a club, thats a very good thing. I really dont mind taking for my part, designing, creating things etc, but as u know, i dont got the $$ of the IPT guy, hell i dont even got $ for my own, but if the financial parts can be discussed then ill do all the work needed to make it work. i know i need some suport of the board, but i do feel i got to do alot myself if i want to get this club of the ground. We all know how slow boards can be, (not always there fault) but once i got a idea, i cant just sit and wait for a mail that may or may not come.

thx again for the reply. Hope ill get many more like these. It helps me feel more secure it is possible, and it helps me check for flaws or things i didnt think of. Off to the karaoke barr for some fun. got a ranking again this sunday, and its my favorit game. top60 is possible. GOGO solly :D

Solartje
02-11-2006, 06:44 PM
i hope there isnt any policy for small up'ing :( but i was really hoping to get more info about how to start a club. anything that i can think and solve now, is better then to solve problems later, so dont hesitate to give me more help.

greats from solly

Tbeaux
02-11-2006, 07:50 PM
Solly,

You really need to check with someone (one or more) who have started clubs in Belgium. There may be things specific to your country that you might have to take into account. One thing might be tax status. In the US some clubs and organizations have to file as non-profits in order to maintain a tax exempt status. It might be better calling it a team instead of club (not sure how it translates).

Names- The Waffles, The Brussel Sprouts, The Brussel Bank Shots, The Geckos, The Lizards, The Muscles from Brussels, Sticks n Some Chiks.
Or wait till you find a poolhall and incorporate the poolhall name into the club name.

Terry