PDA

View Full Version : Where to play in Phoenix

ShowMeTheMoney
05-06-2003, 08:54 AM
Hey does anyone know of any good pool halls in Phoenix? A well maintained pool hall. I'm coming to Phoenix in a couple months and would like to know where some good places are. If you know of any weekly tournaments or anything, please post. Or if u know of a pool hall that sees a lot of action, please post. Thanks

Jimmy M.
05-06-2003, 12:12 PM
Well, you asked ...

Q: Good pool halls?
A: Define good ;) (I play at Kolby's in Tempe)

Q: Weekly Tournaments?
A: Sure, if you're a mediocre player, you can get rated and play in a tournament every night of the week. If you play pretty good, you won't have many tournaments you can play in.

Q: Action?
A: Get used to the question, "What are you rated?", followed quickly by "no" if you can hold your cue and show signs of a pulse and the willingness to bet more than $20.

All sarcasm aside, there is usually some action in the day time at The Rack in Tempe. There is an open (meaning, it doesn't matter what you're rated (if you want to play in tournaments here, you'll have to be rated by someone authorized to do so)) tournament at Kolby's (also in Tempe about a mile from The Rack) on Monday and Tuesday nights. It isn't the best action town around, for sure, but there is a handful of guys who will match up.

ShowMeTheMoney
05-07-2003, 12:19 PM
Thanks for the response Jimmy!

Q: Define good (I play at Kolby's in Tempe)
A: a pool hall that has nice tables, well maintained, good lighting, clean atmosphere, How's Click's Billiards????

This place called Kolby's, Whats the tournament format? Are those rated tournaments for like 7 and under? Or do u know of pool halls with like a daily special, in Chicago we have places u can shoot for 5 hours for $7, i was wondering if theres anything like that out there. I'm basically just looking for a nice pool hall with some action. Kolby's sounds like a place I'd hit up, thanks!

Jimmy M.
05-07-2003, 04:59 PM
I don't know about Clicks. They only hold something-and-under tournaments, so I rarely ever go there. There isn't really a player type atmosphere there either, and the pockets are huge. If you're on the west side, there are usually players at Shooters in the day time, but I think that most of the action is on the East Side right now at either the Rack, or at Kolby's. From what you describe, it sounds like you'd like Kolby's more than the Rack, but if you're looking for action, there is probably more at the Rack (at least, that is what I've heard since most of the action there is during the day and I'm at work during the day).

Mikey
05-07-2003, 11:38 PM
Good pool halls? Sure, plenty of 'em. Where in Phoenix are you going to be? Do you smoke? I ask because some pool halls are in cities that have banned smoking (part of the reason I don't go to Kolby's much anymore).

Action can be had relatively easily, but it helps to know who you're talking to. There's usually some good action at the Rack, but it can also be found at Kolby's, Clicks, and Main Street.

Whatever you do, just make sure you stay out of Lazy Cue.

Chucklez65
05-08-2003, 07:04 AM
On the west side there is a pool room called Six Shooters that has daily specials - $ 5.00 from 11am to 7pm on the 9 footers. If you like to play on bar tables then Alexanders has free pool from 11am till 530 and Pappys has free pool from Noon till 6pm. Im sure there are others...but these are the places that I normally frequent on the west side of town.

If you are interested in 7-under or 8-under, then there are a lot of tourneys in Phoenix. Where ever you go you can pick up an Arizona Billiard News and it lists a lot of them, from bar tables to the 9-footers.

Chuck

ShowMeTheMoney
05-08-2003, 08:33 AM
Wow fellas, thanks for the response. I'm gonna be staying in Phoenix, on 16th Place. Dont know quite where thats at though. Its gonna be my first time there and im pretty excited. I'd love to come out there and meet you guys. $5 from 11-7 at Six Shooters? Thats the cheapest price I've ever heard!!! Yes I do smoke Mikey. I didn't know u couldnt smoke in pool halls out there, I thought that was only in California. I hate that, no smoking in a pool hall.

Does Kolby's and The Rack have tight pockets? What brand of tables?

Thanks for the responses!

Jimmy M.
05-08-2003, 10:11 AM
Kolby's and the Rack have tighter pockets than the rest of the pool rooms, but I wouldn't say they're extremely tight, by any means. As far as smoking, you cannot smoke in any establishment in Tempe, which is where Kolby's and the Rack are. Six Shooters is "ok", if you like the more upscale type pool room. They have a full bar, and in the evenings, it's a "fun player" hang out. Clicks has the same type of atmosphere. The pockets at Clicks are *huge*, and with the exception of one table, they're huge at Six Shooters also. So your choices are, play on buckets but be able to smoke, or play on tighter tables and smoke outside :D.

All four pool rooms mentioned here have Goldcrowns. Kolby's has some Gandy's too, but I'm assuming you don't want to play on those.

Chucklez65
05-08-2003, 11:51 AM
You can private message me here on the site and I will give you a contact number....I can even get you rated...as I am on that committee if you want to play in some of the rated tourneys...I know that if we play for a while, I can be pretty fair in my rating ability.

Anyway, I look forward to meeting you when you come to town

Chuck

Porter
05-11-2003, 08:58 PM
I have heard of a room caled the Golden Cue. Is it still there. I understand that there used to be a lot of golf action on the snooker tables. I have a friend out there and he has probably been where ever the golf action is. Does anyone know a Jerry Estes?

Porter

Chucklez65
05-20-2003, 07:12 AM
Golden Cue is still up and running and the action is still Golf - during the day...after about 6pm...it gets a little rough over there...but 11 or noon to about 5 are ok.

Chuck