PDA

View Full Version : WHich Table???

Goat
05-06-2003, 01:47 PM
I'm planing on buying a pool table real soon, my question is which size. I play in a bar league and that is the only kind of tables in our area, the regular valley tables. Seeing as how i never played on a bigger table than that, i dont know which would help improve my game more. Would it be better to buy the bigger table that pros use or stick with the tables that i play on. And if the bigger one, why? Any response would be greatly appreciated.
Besides, its not like im planning on becoming a pro anytime soon. lol.

fxskater
05-06-2003, 02:14 PM
I would say that it all depends on the room you are putting it in and where you wish to go with pool. If you are looking to progress and enter bigger tournaments at poolhalls I would recommend a 4 1/2 x 9, if you have the room for it. That is the size that all 9-ball tournaments (bar tournies excluded) are played on. If you prefer 8-ball and plan on playing mostly 8-ball then I would recommend 4 x 8. Also a 4 x 8 is a better table to play on with friends that don't play so much pool. Also if you want to get better make sure it has fairly tight pockets. It all boils down to what you wanna do with it. Also make sure that whatever size you get you have a minimum of 5 feet all the way around the table. That will make it so that you will never need to use a short cue. Myself, I kinda tried to get the best of both worlds, 4 1/2 x 9 (i want to go to big tournies eventually) with big pockets because i play quite often with casual friends and family that would enjoy playing with tight pockets. Hope this helped.

Goat
05-07-2003, 04:58 PM
My main concern is if i play on a 9 footer, will it help me even on a bar table, or would sticking with a bar table be my best bet.

jjinfla
05-08-2003, 05:27 AM
After playing on a 9 footer then you will find that you will never have a long shot on a bar table, it's navigating through the traffic that's the problem. But if all there is in town is bar tables get one of them. And checkout the video "Bartable Billiards" featuring bar table king Dave Matlock - 1994. I got my copy on Ebay. He plays Steve Mizerak and Johnny Archer. Actually all they do is rack for him. LOL. Jake

ceebee
05-09-2003, 11:21 AM
I have a 9 Footer, but intend to go down to a 8 Footer. My reasoning is for gaining some practice in the POSITION ARENA which may help me on the other two size tables.
We generally play on the 9 foot Gold Crowns, but every time a Tournament comes along... it's a Bar Box format.