PDA

View Full Version : Cue Weight

mckn13
11-18-2012, 05:55 PM
Just curious, but what do you guys think is the lightest cue weight you can use and be effective, and why.
Thanks

Pay Up Sucker
11-18-2012, 05:59 PM
I have a good friend that uses a 17oz cue and shoots pretty good! He is a very strong APA 7.

YBA
11-18-2012, 07:16 PM
I break with a 16 oz cue. I get crazy velocity on the CB. However I don't think I could play with anything lighter than 19oz. Even my snooker cue weighs 20oz.

Tramp Steamer
11-18-2012, 07:35 PM
The lightest cue I ever heard of was made in 1938 by John Q. Halderman, a student at the Peterson School of Mortuary Science, in Homestead, Wisconsin. Mr. Halderman designed and built a pool cue made completely out of soda straws and Scotch brand tape that weighed in at a mere three fourths of an ounce.
Unfortunately, the featherweight cue crumpled during it's first attempt at striking a cueball, prompting witnesses to remark, "He may have used too much masse." :smile:

ENGLISH!
11-18-2012, 07:40 PM
My favorite cue is 17 ozs. I've played with a 15 oz. & like it too.

I have removed all of the wt. bolts on every cue I've owned. It is more about balance, to me. Most heavier cues seem to be balanced more toward the butt end. I shoot with a light grip & often with an open bridge. I want a little wt. toward the front end of the butt not the back end.

I've also played with a house cue that the wt. & butt cap were gone & it was fine as well. If I had to guess I would say it was about 13 ozs. I like a light cue as I feel I can always add power when I want to but it's a bit harder to rein in a heavy cue.

If I make the switch to CJ Wiley's athletic grip, I may be able to move up to the heavyweight division.

Just my $0.02

Regards,

manwon
11-18-2012, 07:59 PM
Just curious, but what do you guys think is the lightest cue weight you can use and be effective, and why.
Thanks

I have a customer who plays with a couple of 15.8 oz cues that I made for him. He plays lights out with either cue, according to him the heaviest cue he ever played well with was a flat 18 oz cue.

I suspect like everything else a cues weight is subjective to each persons preference.

jschelin99
11-18-2012, 08:03 PM
I went to college with a guy that played with a 24 ounce cue. He was a strong player, and was actually a small, skinny guy. Always struck me odd how such a small guy could play well with a tree trunk.

I knew another guy that played with a 15 oz.

Personal preference.

ctran
11-18-2012, 08:14 PM
I wonder if cue weight can affect playability, for example the ability to move cue ball around, spin effect, etc?

seven_7days
11-18-2012, 08:48 PM
I tried paying with a 15oz and sucked...
then I tried a 23oz and sucked...
so, then I tried an 18oz and again I sucked azz.

oh,wait...I just suck.

nevermind. :cool:

Donny Lutz
11-19-2012, 08:41 AM
Thanks

Many of us are familiar with the new breed of ultra-light jump and break cues. I have one of the Gulyassy "Reaper" cues...four pieces, total less than 11 oz.

Some thirty years ago, played Junior Harris in a tournament in Kansas (I think). He was playing with a 15-oz cue. There were some monsters in that event, but as I remember Jr. couldn't get any action...

mr3cushion
11-19-2012, 08:49 AM
I'm a 3 Cushion player, I've been using a 17.5 oz. cue with a .75 oz. rubber grip for 30 years. with a balance point of 17 in. from the butt of the cue.

Bill Smith "Mr3Cushion"
http://mr3cushion.com

JohnInNH
11-19-2012, 08:58 AM
For me the weight of the cue is dependent on the pool game that you are playing, I play a lot of straight pool, one pocket, 18 oz is a perfect weight for me, if I am playing 9 ball 19 or 20 oz is just about right, whatever you are comfortable with.

John

Pete
11-19-2012, 12:15 PM
I have a buddy (118 ball runner 14.1) and he shoots with a 15 oz Mali.

Pete

Cornerman
11-19-2012, 12:19 PM
Thanks

I have a cue that weighs in at about 16.5 oz and I don't think anyone would have an issue playing with it.

Freddie <~~~ but doesn't play with it!

rayjay
11-19-2012, 12:24 PM
My current player is a Judd/Davis hoppe @ 18 ounces flat...love it, and have one coming from Mike Durbin/Davis that I think will be pretty special too, also at 18 flat. I dropped an ounce about 7-8 yrs ago and won't play anthing else, found my niche.
:D

Banks
11-19-2012, 12:28 PM
I play with a 15oz cut bar cue. I've generally shot well with 15s & 16s in the past, too. My regular player for years was a Joss w/ Z2, coming in at around 19.5, I think. I can play a little better with the 15.

I bought a 14oz Schmelke a couple of years ago, but it feels so light that I have to put something extra on the hit every time I want the CB to move. After a while it just becomes a pain. Not sure if it's the cue, but 15 and higher and I can 'just play'.

HueblerHustler7
11-19-2012, 12:31 PM
I shoot with an 18oz spitz... Ive gone lighter but I started having to force whitey around the table to much for my taste so now I stick to the 18.

Balance is more of a factor of playability than weight in my opinion, you could have a heavy weight cue with awesome balance and no would really realize how heavy the cue really is.

goldeagle2134
11-19-2012, 01:41 PM
Best pool I ever played was after taking an old McDermott and continually taking off a piece of the weight bolt until I discarded it completely.

Stick then felt like it had become part of my arm. Have always felt since that removing weight increased the functionality of the brain/hand connection.

A serious effort at a practice session with a light stick just might surprise you.

Shaft
11-19-2012, 02:28 PM
I recently removed the weight bolts and love the new feel. I have not weighed it yet.