PDA

View Full Version : Quit Smoking, Still Shooting...need some help coping.

Missing Link
11-19-2012, 01:22 AM
I quit smoking this week during a battle with pneumonia...smoking and pool have been really tied together for a long time in my life and I'm fiding it hard to get my rythum without cigerrettes. In addition to that, I have ADHD so the nicotine helped me focus.

Has anybody been through this? What helped you "come back?"

West Point 1987
11-19-2012, 02:48 AM
Time. That and gum sometimes helps. Drink lots of ice water/club soda...it seems to help.

Another thing that helps (not so much DURING play)...is that everytime you get a cue to smoke, drop what you're doing and walk around the block...costs you the same amount of time you would have spent going out for a smoke break. Remind yourself how much better you feel/breath/taste now that you're off them. Also, change your daily schedule as much as possible...cigarettes used to anchor your schedule, now you need a new anchor.

Been off them 6 months so far--so far so good. I'm playing my best pool now, too, but there was an initial drop off. It'll pass.

mortuarymike-nv
11-19-2012, 04:19 AM
I quit smoking this week during a battle with smoking and pool have been really tied together for a long time in my life and I'm fiding it hard to get my rythum without cigerrettes. In addition to that, I have ADHD so the nicotine helped me focus.

My battle with pneumonia went south after being in a coma all I can say it is a nightmare.
yes I stopped smoking its has its momments. It is a choice to smoke or not to smoke.

There is one thing I remember is I dont let anything saddle me up and ride me into the ground,
I refuse to let any drug or alcohol rule my life.
I stopped , do I still have the urge hell yes .
Get another habit gum , lemon drops, jerky , the new water cigarettes,
anything is better than smoking cigarette .

The bad part is everyone goes how hard it is to stop smoking, who gives a rats ass, its killing you, dont think how much you need a cigarette think how much you hate the cugarette companies and hate the fact they own your ass.
your health and everyone around you. dont think just stop smoking.

The nicotine patches are a joke for me It just wanted to make me want a cigarette. I got boxes of the patches . for me total waist of money.

This was my choice where in the hell am I going to mount a oxygen bottle on my motorcycle. And then I am going to wrap a rubber hose around my neck and ride my bike . SCREW THAT .

I walked and walked and walked taking deep breaths making my lungs work. but It boils down to the choice. You want to be hooked on cigarettes
its your choice .

Me I stopped, I can do most anything if I put my mind to it.

Just let it go dont talk about dont show any weakness to cigarettes stand up and put smoking into your past. And be proud that you have the will to overcome cigarette addiction.

MMike

21whiskey
11-19-2012, 04:39 AM
YOU'RE IN FOR THE FIGHT OF YOUR LIFE , I'M NOT KIDDING

Good Luck

Harold Smith
11-19-2012, 05:27 AM
Take it 5 minutes at a time. When you think you want a smoke just put it off for 5 minutes. The next time you want one go another 5 minutes. That 5 minutes can turn into a life time of non smoking.
But I fail to see how not smoking throws off your rhythm, when I smoked I wasn't puffing on a cig while I was shooting a ball.---Smitty

Black-Balled
11-19-2012, 06:34 AM
And my buddy told me: Quitting is easy...I've done it lotsa times.

Humor aside, do it. More power to you!

chefjeff
11-19-2012, 06:46 AM
Take it 5 minutes at a time. When you think you want a smoke just put it off for 5 minutes. The next time you want one go another 5 minutes. That 5 minutes can turn into a life time of non smoking.
But I fail to see how not smoking throws off your rhythm, when I smoked I wasn't puffing on a cig while I was shooting a ball.---Smitty

THAT is the secret.

Anyone can quit for 5 minutes. Every smoker has. That's how I quit for good....a bunch of 5 minutes all lined up to make a total of 37 years for me so far.

By the time the 5 minutes are up, I had forgotten temporarily that I wanted to smoke. Usually, because I was doing something else with my hands, it was well past the 5 minute mark, so I had to start another 5 minutes. I sometimes didn't smoke one for an hour or more as I kept missing the mark.

FOR THOSE TRYING TO QUIT

After those 5 minutes, if you still want a smoke---really want one, not the habit speaking---then have one and enjoy it fully without guilt. That paradigm is the power. It takes away the fear of never again smoking and the strong cravings and any guilt from smoking that tends to set quitters fully back on the smoking track. One smoke, really enjoyed, is OK when quitting IF the 5 minute rule is used for every smoke or non smoke.

It worked for me that way... what if it worked that way for everyone? Wouldn't a smoker like to try it then?

Jeff Livingston

Tramp Steamer
11-19-2012, 06:54 AM
Turn your back to it and walk away. It is no longer in your life. Be strong.

Bona
11-19-2012, 07:13 AM
I chose to keep the nicotine and get rid of the tobacco, tar, and smoke. It is pretty clear to me that nicotine alone is far less dangerous to my health than cigarettes with all their carcinogens. I use this and a couple other versions of e-cigs. Among the advantages are cost savings, flexibility, and a higher degree of acceptability in public. YMMV

It delivers nicotine in a vapor form and the nicotine level is very adjustable by choosing the "juice" strength and the settings on the device.

http://i482.photobucket.com/albums/rr187/BonafideFish/DSC00659.jpg

nobcitypool
11-19-2012, 08:01 AM
After a long term 2 pack plus habit per day, I quit cigarettes almost 6 years ago now. I used prescription Chantix to help me get past the first 2 to 3 weeks. I was quite committed to kicking the cigarette habit so frankly, it was easy.

After six months or so of no cigarettes, I picked up cigars again. I now smoke a couple of cigars per day. If I have to play pool in a smokeless establishment or go all day without anything, not a big deal.

You have to decide that you are 100% committed to quitting. Once you do that, it is quite easy. If there is any lack of commitment, your mind will know it and eventually, you'll give in, be right back where you were.

Good luck!

fool4pool
11-19-2012, 08:36 AM
Wonderful 2 hear that you guys gave up that scourge!!

I never smoked but my brother started early and still won't quit.
He's been coughing 4 years now. SAD!!!

My 2 Cents is that U fellas will play better pocket billiards down the
road 4 sure.

Noel

Manoman2444
11-19-2012, 08:41 AM
Nicorette gum, use it just like a cigarette. When you have the craving, put the gum in your mouth, chew it a couple of times, then in between the gum and cheek for a while. Your craving for a cigarette will disappear!

bdorman
11-19-2012, 08:48 AM
First, congrats on quitting! I did three years ago and very glad.

It's best f you can quit with no nicotine replacement, but I can tell you that nicotine gum is even better than smoking. You can chew it in restaurants, pool halls...even the shower. But since it's a replacement, you're now addicted to the gum instead of cigarettes. It's a good trade-off but not as perfect as total quitting.

Best of luck.

Koop
11-19-2012, 11:45 AM
First, congrats on quitting! I did three years ago and very glad.

It's best f you can quit with no nicotine replacement, but I can tell you that nicotine gum is even better than smoking. You can chew it in restaurants, pool halls...even the shower. But since it's a replacement, you're now addicted to the gum instead of cigarettes. It's a good trade-off but not as perfect as total quitting.

Best of luck.

^^^ THIS ^^^

Koop - quit 4 years ago, cold turkey

DRW
11-19-2012, 12:08 PM
Quit Dec. 2002. I said to myself, I didn't care if I can't make a ball. Nervous as hell for a while when I played, but things are much better and that addiction is buried.

Thebigtexan
11-19-2012, 12:11 PM
Like Bona, I too use an e-cigarette.. It is not the same feeling, but it takes the edge off, especially at those key times when I used to smoke.. After dinner, drinking at a bar, and of course pool. Hard as hell to break the "habits" of smoking more so than the act itself for me. Ohio has a ban on indoor smoking so that has a lot to do with it for me. Good luck to you sir!

Jobba786
11-19-2012, 12:17 PM
Snus or chewing tobacco could be a good replacement.

-Jon Birger

Underclocked
11-19-2012, 12:20 PM
I'm one of those that has quit several times, but am still hooked. I don't think the level of difficulty for one person can be equated to the next. Different folks have differing levels of addiction - I'm just lucky to be one of the fortunate ones that is severely addicted.

I've chewed the nicotine gum until my gums ulcerated with blisters, I've puffed away on those e-cigarettes to the point they do absolutely nothing except make me want a cigarette even more, I've gone cold turkey until the pressure in my head and chest as well as panic attacks drove me back to the smoke. It sucks big time - but I'm hooked and have been for nearly 50 years.

My best guestimate is that I will quit permanently a day or two before they close the lid on my coffin.

I know that with enough will... I could quit. But everything in this life is a trade-off and to me it just isn't worth the agony at this point.

blah blah
11-19-2012, 03:08 PM
Never think you're tougher than a cigarette, or that you have it beat.

Chew gum- cinnamon flavor gives a little kick. Deep breaths. Walk. Wait five minutes- and then if you still want one, do five fast push ups. Smell how clean your hands smell. Hard candy. Get in the car, roll up the windows, hold your ears and scream your healing lungs out. Chew a pencil. Remember to appreciate how your laugh starts sounding healthier and you don't clear your throat anymore. Say the alphabet backwards. Anything to get through each craving.

If you honest to goodness can't handle it, chew the nicorette gum and do all of the other things above, too. Give yourself a date to get off the gum, and start switching off with regular gum.

Months will go by and the painful cravings will stop- but then out of the blue you'll get these weird, sneaky little thoughts about how you're doing so well, you could probably just have one. Don't.

mortuarymike-nv
11-19-2012, 03:12 PM
morphine is a big help.:thumbup:
MMike

Missing Link
11-19-2012, 11:11 PM
Thank you for all the encouradgement and advice. What made me "off rythum" was a habit I had of walking to my table and drawing on a cig to make myself think and slow down, between shots or when my opponent was shooting.

I tried the gum, but had a reaction to it, it made my mouth raw. Right now, i'm using an E-Cig to deal with the cravings and to form the habit of not buying cigs...I will be turning the nicotine down on it to wean myself off the nicotine soon.

Once again, thanks. I hope this helps other dealing with the same thing.

woodyosborne
11-20-2012, 08:33 PM
never give up: like chef jeff I quit 37 years ago. saved over $50,000.00 at 2 packs/day. 2.50/pack. don't miss them at all.

rayjay
11-20-2012, 09:04 PM
You've got to deal with the urges, like all addictions. They last from a couple minutes up to around 10 minutes. A couple folks have said take it 5 minutes at a time...they're right, you have to get through that period of time while you're having urges to smoke. You have to focus on something else, do something else...you are in the process of changing your brain and it takes a while. Keep reminding your self that you are now a non-smoker, and this is what you want to do. Good luck!

Missing Link
11-20-2012, 10:29 PM
Made it through leauge tonight for the first time in 6 years without a cig...the smokey pool room didn't even bother me. I had cravings, but dealt with them and drank Monster Energy for the "kick".

One thing that irritated me was the amount of "hate" I got, with comments like "quitting is for quitters" and "way to be a chroirboy"....among some others I won't repeat.

Quiting is my choice...just as smoking is another persons...I could care less if somebody else smokes or if the room is smoking or not. Just leave me to my choices, which is how I felt when I smoked.

chefjeff
11-21-2012, 05:08 AM
never give up: like chef jeff I quit 37 years ago. saved over $50,000.00 at 2 packs/day. 2.50/pack. don't miss them at all.

One of the reasons for me was the price had just jumped to 50 cents a pack!

I sometimes tell it as a joke:

I quit 37 years, 11 months, 20 days, 6hours and 16 minutes ago....

....AND I DON'T MISS IT A BIT!

That line works better in person.

Jeff Livingston

chefjeff
11-21-2012, 05:10 AM
Made it through leauge tonight for the first time in 6 years without a cig...the smokey pool room didn't even bother me. I had cravings, but dealt with them and drank Monster Energy for the "kick".

One thing that irritated me was the amount of "hate" I got, with comments like "quitting is for quitters" and "way to be a chroirboy"....among some others I won't repeat.

Quiting is my choice...just as smoking is another persons...I could care less if somebody else smokes or if the room is smoking or not. Just leave me to my choices, which is how I felt when I smoked.

I always wondered if simply hanging in smokey places (after I quit) was just a subconscious way to get some nicotine.

Is that possible?

Jeff Livingston

CreeDo
11-21-2012, 09:00 AM
Link: good job. League night is a tough one. A buddy of mine made it through his first league night too, just last thursday. Been smoking for 16 years. So far he seems to be hanging on and I'm hoping both of you make it.

That sucks that people will give you shit about it. I always try to be encouraging to my buddies that try to quit. I used to get quite preachy and found it doesn't work. I hope those guys who are giving you shit also find their comments won't work either. I bet they're just resentful. They know you're working to improve yourself while they're still stuck with their habit, unable to work up the will to do something about it.

Jeff: I know you can get secondhand smoke, but can you really get secondhand nicotine? I don't think so, as far as I know being around other smokers doesn't give satisfaction, only makes the craving worse. If you're saying he should try to get away from smoke, I agree, but it would be wrong to quit league at this point.

JoeyA
11-21-2012, 09:12 AM
I quit smoking this week during a battle with pneumonia...smoking and pool have been really tied together for a long time in my life and I'm fiding it hard to get my rythum without cigerrettes. In addition to that, I have ADHD so the nicotine helped me focus.

Each time when you are playing and you think about succumbing to the urge to smoke, remember that bout with pneumonia.
Years ago, when I stopped smoking my pool game suffered for a while but everything syncs back up eventually and your pool game will too. My pool game improved a while after I stopped smoking but it took some time. Now I can pay attention to the playing of pool rather than the lighting and puffing on a cigarette.

LIFE & POOL gets better without cigarettes, just not right away or so you think. :p

paulempor
11-21-2012, 10:01 AM
I chose to keep the nicotine and get rid of the tobacco, tar, and smoke. It is pretty clear to me that nicotine alone is far less dangerous to my health than cigarettes with all their carcinogens. I use this and a couple other versions of e-cigs. Among the advantages are cost savings, flexibility, and a higher degree of acceptability in public. YMMV

It delivers nicotine in a vapor form and the nicotine level is very adjustable by choosing the "juice" strength and the settings on the device.

http://i482.photobucket.com/albums/rr187/BonafideFish/DSC00659.jpg

Is that a Provari? You high roller..... Same here just sstarted smoking a e-cig two days ago.... Went from a pack a day to 3 cigs in 2 days.... Trying...

Okie
11-21-2012, 10:14 AM

Let 'em say what they will. You are doing the right thing. Smoking is bad, mmmk? ;)

Ignore the suggestion of using chewing tobacco or snuff as a replacement. I chewed Skoal from age 13-38. My son asked me to quit ten years ago. I quit cold turkey, May 7, 2002. Ten years later, I cannot go fishing, golfing, or any other outdoor activity without getting the urge. But the urge pales in light of the impact I had on my children by them seeing me kick it.

You got this! Well done on going all night without lighting up!

Ken

chefjeff
11-22-2012, 08:49 AM
I just happened to run into a very relevant article that might be able to help the OP
and others here...

http://artofmanliness.com/2012/11/20/power-of-habits/

It's from one of my favorite websites, the art of manliness.

This article goes into some nice detail about how certain parts
of the brain are used for habit actions and how those parts can
be consciously controlled by anyone with some easy techniques.

Some of those have been posted here, but without the scientific
backing that the article gives.

http://artofmanliness.com/2012/11/20/power-of-habits/

Jeff Livingston

markgw
11-22-2012, 09:06 AM

I smoked for 40 years and quit 23 days ago. I am using electronic cigarettes called V2 Electronic Cigartettes. I am calmer now than when I smoked. They completely take the edge off and it hasn't effected my game except for the better"-). My nerves are better so it has helped me. I thought I would be a nervous wreck and I wouldn't be able to play. I took my blood pressure at the pharmacy for the heck of it and it was 115 over 73...That is sick!! I was always a high strung person and my blood pressure always high....Go figure, I would get calmer from quitting. Without the electronic cigs though, it might be too tough. Good Luck, I hope you find an answer, but just wanted to share with you what is working for me......

DrOnePocket
11-22-2012, 09:08 AM

I have struggled with ADD all my life, concentration is tough so when i quit smoking 6 weeks ago (almost 7 now) trust me when I tell you i can relate.

I quit cold turkey and it was tough. I have been chewing gum, hard candy, or cough drops occasionally when i play to help take my mind off of the smoke. Also I read somewhere that doubling my dose of multi-vitamins would help with concentration. It does help IMO. Give this a try for a week and let me know what you think

Missing Link
12-01-2012, 10:05 PM
Thank you everybody for the kind words and the help...I am at 15 days with no cig, using and E-Cig, and playing some good pool.

I broke down and got a new prescription for my ADHD meds, which really helped with the cravings.

Matt90
12-02-2012, 12:13 PM
Being that I am from the Great State of North Caroling the love of smoking is in my blood. I have been a non smoker for well over 20 yrs now and the last days of my smoking had me up to well over two packs of marlboro reds a day .I smoked from the time I was 10 till age 22, at that point I had surrendered to the fact that I was completely hooked.If it had not of been for a girl REALLY ,I mean REALLY pissing me off about it and what I had already learned at that age about addiction I would of never been able to let em go .To this day I never say "I quit" I say I let em go ,I'm a non smoker, Sorry I just don't smoke.Day 3 of being without em was probably one of the toughest days I have ever walked through , I hung the phone up on my own mother and was pretty much a basket case.After that I got a real good taste of just how much control that monster had over me and I kept moving forward.Over the years I have had to be a a**hole several times about it , when a good looking girl at the pool room says "hold my cig......just for a sec ..please" I give them a look from hell and say no , I really just can't .I get the strong urge even today to just smoke a cigar ,you know when you smell one and it smells like a little bit of heaven .Well, if I smoke one cigar I may as well just buy a carton of marlboros and be done with it . If I don't put one in my hands I can't smoke it ......it's that simple.
Good luck in your journey , I know a few that had some luck with the ecigs but most tell me it is too much of a reminder.I think it's too close to the real thing to find any real freedom or success .I am lucky ,it never bothers me to go to the pool room around smoke others become complete nits about being around smoke. From day one I have looked at it like my life is at stake and keeping that in mind has helped alot .I'm not sure of your beliefs but if you pray , that helps. I know for me I could not believe anything had that much of a grip on me ....but it did .