PDA

View Full Version : split the winnings or play it out?

oldplayer
11-19-2012, 05:55 AM
i was in a 9 ball tournamnet the other night and when it came down to the last 2 standing, the guy asked me if i wanted to just split the winnings or play. granted, it was 2:30 am and i had been playing for 11 1/2 hours, but i told him, "i came here to play, so, let's play". i was wondering, what is the general concensus here on the forum, do you "split or play?

doublebet
11-19-2012, 05:59 AM
depends; if you were winner wide and he ran over you 1st set and you don't get the good vibe due to being up so long, or think he caught his gear, then you may want to split and just play set out. IMO

63Kcode
11-19-2012, 06:04 AM
I don't think you would have been excited to start a thread about splitting your first tournament. I have done both. The win feels much better.

Larry

naji
11-19-2012, 06:12 AM
i was in a 9 ball tournamnet the other night and when it came down to the last 2 standing, the guy asked me if i wanted to just split the winnings or play. granted, it was 2:30 am and i had been playing for 11 1/2 hours, but i told him, "i came here to play, so, let's play". i was wondering, what is the general concensus here on the forum, do you "split or play?

I think if the difference is $500.00 or more, worth playing, if its less and too late in the day split and gamble with it $20.00 or more at a time with the same guy other days until you double it or loose it, and cycle starts over.

jims111343
11-19-2012, 06:29 AM
If the money is more important to you than the game, then split it. If the game is more important than the money, play it out.

SchoolinU
11-19-2012, 07:06 AM
I have no problem taking the split that late at night (or early in the morning). At 2:30am, you're probably not going to get my best game. But it is definitely situation dependent.

Pushout
11-19-2012, 07:14 AM
I've done both. Really depends on the situation.

spatlese44
11-19-2012, 07:25 AM
Even up splitting isn't really fair to the hot seat as they're statistically 3 times as likely to win. That's just statistically of course. A fair split would be a 1/4, 3/4 split of the difference of first and second. Example:

tournament normal payout:
1st $1260
2nd $750

split:
1260 - 750 = 460
460 / 4 = 115

hot seat 750 + 115*3 = 1095
losers bracket 750 + 115 = 865

That said, a straight split would be $1005, which is only $90 less.

oldplayer
11-19-2012, 07:33 AM
i love the math.....next time i will base it on how late it is. :cool:
how come you're spatlese? that was my favorite german wine versus kabinett or auslese.

CreeDo
11-19-2012, 07:42 AM
Even up splitting isn't really fair to the hot seat as they're statistically 3 times as likely to win.

Where do they have stats on how often the hot seat wins vs. the other guy? I like to see stuff like that.

Rico
11-19-2012, 08:05 AM
:angry:THEY HAVE A NAME FOR GUYS THAT SPLIT BBB.Its like dumping quitting .Fighters go 8 rds. and say lets call it a draw? I go to win to play the best i can that day. 100%is what you should try for no more no less thats all there is.just saying.

Cornerman
11-19-2012, 08:11 AM

I'm all for splitting if time and such is a consideration.

Freddie <~~~ no moral issues on splitzville

Tobby
11-19-2012, 08:21 AM
If you have ben playing all day and its LATE and there is a huge diffrence in the money or its a handicap tourny i say split no sense in wasting all your time and get jsut alittle. just my thoughts

sjm
11-19-2012, 08:32 AM
First of all, if anyone has been charged admission to the event, a split should never occur. It is an insult to paying fans.

Second, unless it's what both players want, a split should never take place. You are never under any obligation to offer an opponent a split no matter the circumstances or the hour.

Third, playing in a high stakes final is an important moment in the development of your mettle and pedigree as a player. If you want to develop as a player, you'll need to learn how to perform under this kind of pressure, and to forego the opportunity to play in a tournament final may stall your development.

oldplayer
11-19-2012, 08:37 AM
additional facts in this case are the 2 guys that i beat and they whined about it but prior to the last match they were hanging in there (2:30 am) to see the final match...it would not have been justice and split when they are there to see the action, patiently waiting! i do not think i would ever split......i go there to play. and i like the part heretofore mentioned, "it's about developing"......:thumbup:

cardiac kid
11-19-2012, 08:50 AM

Since you did not mention a player auction or Calcutta, players splitting the money still isn't a given. Agree if it was three in the morning and a long drive home faced one or both. I'd still prefer to play. If there was an auction, the buyers would have to agree to split as well. Unless of course the same person "owned" both players :eek:!

Lyn

poolbreak
11-19-2012, 08:54 AM
Is it fair to split when there's a Calcutta and the player didn't buy themselves?

ignomirello
11-19-2012, 09:14 AM

I would rather play BUT!!!!

If there is no calcutta, It's late 3:30am Monday morning have to be in work at 5:30 am,
have over a 1hr drive, Your in the hot seat he is younger & rated higher.
I will split giving them a little more than what 2nd place pays.
If I have no work then I would play because i'm a grinder!

Snapshot9
11-19-2012, 09:34 AM
I never split unless they beat me the first set. And only then when I feel like the tide has turned in their favor.

Black-Balled
11-19-2012, 09:36 AM
I never split unless they beat me the first set. And only then when I feel like the tide has turned in their favor.

Who would split with you at that point? You basically have admitted you won't win.

dbldown
11-19-2012, 11:08 AM

Play for it all, plus a hundred. Then somebody will win big.

I am considering holding a bigger money event here. Half the reason I wont is the splitting. I think I will allow it, but pay both players 2nd place. Then add the difference to the next one.

The only thing worse are the 20 dollar savers for not making the top 4. I refuse to worry about 20 bucks when I am trying to take it down.

DRW
11-19-2012, 11:55 AM
Time and money involved are considerations for me, both as a tournament director and player. Is the bar closing and wants you out of there? No big difference in money? Its rarely a must do.

bigshooter
11-19-2012, 12:46 PM
Neither: You put all the 1st place and 2nd place money together and play winner takes all. Then of course you smoke him! :cool:

oldplayer
11-19-2012, 12:53 PM
"bigshooter"......now we are talking! :yeah:

12squared
11-19-2012, 01:16 PM
If the money is more important to you than the game, then split it. If the game is more important than the money, play it out.

What about time being more important, or that you may have to work in the morning? All are factors to me, as well as the difference in money. I will do whatever my opponent wants to do if it's a small difference in payout and I know him/her. If it's a large difference I still may do a saver since we both have played for so long to get tho this point.

I have a friend who lives in Larned, KS who I was going to visit. He told me of a guaranteed $500 for 1st tournament in a nearby town (bar table). I went down there and there was about 14 players, so 1st was $500; second was $100; 3rd/4th got t-shirts. :eek:.

I fought my way back to the play for 1st from the losers side in a true double elimination tournament. I thought I was the better player and I ended up winning the 1st set. Now it's 1 set for a difference of $400 so I asked him if he wanted to do a $100 saver to make the split $400/$200. He looked at me like I was nuts and finally said, "then 1st wouldn't be $500, no thanks". Fine with me, but I figured we played all day and the loser would only get $100, I though it was only fair. Oh well for him. :)

And then I won this hat at breakfast, too...

http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd104/panda144/DaveLarned.png

spatlese44
11-19-2012, 01:17 PM
i love the math.....next time i will base it on how late it is. :cool:
how come you're spatlese? that was my favorite german wine versus kabinett or auslese.

Spatlese was the name of my cat, which I named while drinking some German wine. Cat died five years ago, but I keep using it as my username for a lot of things.

ignomirello
11-19-2012, 01:50 PM
What about time being more important, or that you may have to work in the morning? All are factors to me, as well as the difference in money. I will do whatever my opponent wants to do if it's a small difference in payout and I know him/her. If it's a large difference I still may do a saver since we both have played for so long to get tho this point.

I have a friend who lives in Larned, KS who I was going to visit. He told me of a guaranteed $500 for 1st tournament in a nearby town (bar table). I went down there and there was about 14 players, so 1st was $500; second was $100; 3rd/4th got t-shirts. :eek:.

I fought my way back to the play for 1st from the losers side in a true double elimination tournament. I thought I was the better player and I ended up winning the 1st set. Now it's 1 set for a difference of $400 so I asked him if he wanted to do a $100 saver to make the split $400/$200. He looked at me like I was nuts and finally said, "then 1st wouldn't be $500, no thanks". Fine with me, but I figured we played all day and the loser would only get $100, I though it was only fair. Oh well for him. :)

I would have said then lets play for it all "-) shoot it's only $100 difference :-)

12squared
11-19-2012, 02:24 PM
I would have said then lets play for it all "-) shoot it's only $100 difference :-)

So true, but I'm not that aggressive and didn't see the need. But if he would have asked me I would have agreed.

fastone371
11-19-2012, 03:18 PM
In drag racing its almost unheard of not to split in a high dollar bracket race. Winner may get $20,000.00 and runner up only $5,000.00, so your racing for $15,000.00. On a typical split you add up total and then maybe race for $1,000.00. Smaller dollar races like maybe $2500.00 and less to win you just race for the win, no splits, maybe as much as 5k to win most guys wont split.

oldzilla
11-19-2012, 05:04 PM
Ok, it's gone 2 pages now.

So did you win or lose ???

One old guy to another, this subject is easy to bend. Key word is "depends".

No pun intended !

Old, :cool:

RobMan
11-19-2012, 07:12 PM
If oldplayer is who I think he is and the tourney was a Saturday nite weekly at MBC, then I bet he won. He knocked me to one loss side where I promptly loss my next match. Good news is i got to leave at midnight!

softshot
11-19-2012, 07:41 PM
screw that... tell them you'd rather play for all the money... that usually shuts them up

alstl
11-19-2012, 08:44 PM
It's up to you. If it is a big tournament where people have paid to watch the players owe it to the fans to play it. In your situation it is up to you.

Dunnn51
11-19-2012, 08:50 PM

If I had been playing for 11 1/2 hrs and I'm the monster in the house,.... I've got nothing more to prove. (on that particular night/outing,.... I'm the best !) ....... until next time . :smile2:

Masayoshi
11-19-2012, 09:25 PM
Small house tournaments that run past closing time should be split just as courtesy to the workers who have to clean up afterwards.

Bigger tournaments should not be split unless they are way behind schedule.

Shazar
11-19-2012, 11:23 PM
I see a lot of ppl splitting

oldplayer
11-20-2012, 05:46 AM
we were playing a little past closing time but we kept shooting while the vacuum cleaners hummed in the background. :thumbup: the srvice was prompt too!;)