PDA

View Full Version : Case

cab9379
11-19-2012, 08:39 AM
What cue case do you guys use that offers the best protection for your cues, dont care about looks just the best protection?

swest
11-19-2012, 08:58 AM
Something like this, maybe?

https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR37tWChTmGbiLQn_uOcohZvGWQG7Kqr NjQEKbG9cQGV5Z9uvTAZQ

Well, you did say you didn't care about looks... :thumbup:

WardS
11-19-2012, 09:33 AM
I have a Instroke Cowboy I have had for years 2x4. I don't see how it could get much better than that

Snapshot9
11-19-2012, 09:43 AM
but is overrated to me. If you take care of your cue case, it will take care of you. Mine goes from the front closet to the Pool Hall, and back again.
I don't have it out in the weather, I take care to store it properly when at the Pool Hall, and I keep it away from from newbies and drunks.

I never leave my cue case in the trunk of a car, I keep it with me.

Atlatlien
11-19-2012, 09:50 AM
Sterling cases with the JB interior are the best bang for you buck, IMO. My vinyl 2x3 was less than $100, looks good, and has an interior that is far and away the best I have seen. Snug, padded fit for butt & shaft, can't beat it.

pwd72s
11-19-2012, 10:04 AM
Every ding on my cue has happened when it was OUT of my Justis case. It seems no matter how careful you are...:frown:

So, my thinking is that all cases protect. That said, if you're looking for cheap but great protection, it's hard to beat a vinyl covered Porper...very basic, but they protect very well.

wrldpro
11-19-2012, 04:39 PM
per request deleted.....

ctyhntr
11-19-2012, 04:42 PM
Porper cases seems to be the best bang for the buck. I like the clean lines of Its George and Ron Thomas cases. A friend swears by his Whitten, but that case weighs a ton.

I recently bought this to store one of my collectible cues.

http://www.prathercue.com/cue_cases/cue_cases.html

JB Cases
11-19-2012, 04:59 PM
All cases out there should be ok for whatever cue you own.BUY AMERICAN is all I would say as a case is also an investment so when you buy an American made case you support americans and your money stays in our country and your investment will always hold its most value instead of being made by cheap labor or slave labor and your money and investment is wisely spent in America.Now if you dont live in America than thats ok just buy from a case from a maker from your country and keep the money there.
Other option would be if you have a favorite professional player or players see what case they use and support the company that makes their case to travel with and protect their valuable cues.Efren Reyes,Allison Fisher,Shane Van Boening,Fransisco Bustamante,Jasmin Ouschan and many other of the worlds best Professionals have a case made by Jack Justis cases so thats my preference as if its good enough for them it should be also for everyone else.

www.justiscases.net

Cases built 1 at a time on time everytime.

So your basic advice is that no one outside the usa should buy any case made in the usa?

You prefer to cut off Whitten, Justis, Murnak, Thomas, Melton, Turcasso, and On Cue from sales to foreign lands just to spite a few foreign case makers?

And how do you feel about products made with foreign parts? For example a cue built in the usa with a foreign blank? What would your classification for that be?

www.jbcases.com

guycrunch
11-19-2012, 05:09 PM
if you are looking for the best bang for your buck with the best protection then you want a sterling black vinyl case. you can buy a 4x8 for less than $100. and if you want a little fancier then the wave case is the next step up.

now, if you want a custom leather case that is a whole big market, a lot of personal preferences come into play.

guy

Eric.
11-19-2012, 05:10 PM
How much protection do you really need? How many times have you actually seen a cue that was damaged *while in the case*?

IMO, I feel that selling the "ultimate protecting cue case" is a bit of a red herring.

If you really want the most bulletproof, cue protecting case made to date(looks and ergonomics be damned), I think the Zero Halliburton is it:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Zero-Halliburton-2-X-2-Pool-Cue-Case-/150898683993

Eric

Tramp Steamer
11-19-2012, 05:17 PM
I just bought an Instroke (Buffalo) 2x3. It's my second one. My first one, years ago, was an Instroke Cowboy. Lot's of room, strong, and uncommonly handsome.
They're also handy at a tournament where you can leave your cues screwed together. :smile:

wrldpro
11-19-2012, 05:22 PM
per request deleted.....

bbb
11-19-2012, 05:23 PM
What cue case do you guys use that offers the best protection for your cues, dont care about looks just the best protection?

sterling wave case is the best bang for the buck:thumbup:
imho

jalapus logan
11-19-2012, 06:14 PM
Sterling cases with the JB interior are the best bang for you buck, IMO. My vinyl 2x3 was less than $100, looks good, and has an interior that is far and away the best I have seen. Snug, padded fit for butt & shaft, can't beat it.

Yes, but don't forget this:

http://media.247sports.com/Uploads/Boards/140/77140/408179.jpg

JB Cases
11-19-2012, 06:20 PM
How much protection do you really need? How many times have you actually seen a cue that was damaged *while in the case*?

IMO, I feel that selling the "ultimate protecting cue case" is a bit of a red herring.

If you really want the most bulletproof, cue protecting case made to date(looks and ergonomics be damned), I think the Zero Halliburton is it:

Eric

I have personally had one very important cue damaged inside the case. Mark Smith of Mark Smith cues in Arkansas can verify this as he was the one to do the refinish on it after the bottom fell out and the cue slid through a ring of nail points on the way to the floor.

Also I have collected stories from others who also had damage to their cues from the interior of the case. To include Cue maker Steve Lomax who told me this just last week.

But it's not only that the cue is protected while in the case but also that the cue stays in the case until it's deliberately taken out.

My philosophy on this is that the cue should be held snugly in place and not move very much if at all. Even if by accident the case is tipped over or somehow inverted the cues should stay in the case is how I feel about it.

This stems from my own experience of having my cue fall out and get damaged. This is why I started building cases with padded interiors. I do understand that any container works to hold a cue and that ultimately the person holding the container is responsible for how it's treated.

I also understand that you ride your motorcycle and report that you haven't had any problem. Someone else reported on here that they own the same brand of case as you do and that he noticed that his cues developed dings on one trip from the house to the pool room.

I also have another story involving Jerry Olivier. Jerry wanted me to look at a new cue he had just made for a good player. We walked over to the player and he had a cheaper case with an interior similar to yours. The player had to tip the case to get the parts to slide out and as he did all the parts started coming out. All three of us grabbed for the cues but we didn't catch the brand new Olivier before it crashed on the hard tile floor of the Super Billiards Expo. Now the cue had several new dings in it as well. Jerry was heartbroken because he obviously had planned on showing this cue off to many more people during the show.

I took the player to my booth and gave him one of our low end cases with our padded interior and showed him that not only would he never again have to tip his case to get the cues out BUT that if the case WERE ever to be turned over then the cues would not fall out. He was impressed and relieved to know that this wouldn't happen again.

You say that it's a red herring to advertise extra protection. I say it's insurance. People don't put sensitive instruments into loose containers in other fields. No matter where you look on the net the best cases for expensive things are padded and mostly form fitted. It doesn't matter what the industry or activity is the best cases are the ones that provide snug fitting protection for the fragile gear.

Only in pool do people say that extra protection is over-rated or say it's a red-herring. Only in pool does a guy like me get hammered for saying that my case protects better than someone else's does.

Yes, I agree that that you and others travel with your cases and that the claim is that no damage has come to your cues. We can't possibly know this for the pros because we don't inspect the pros' cues before and after their traveling. But I agree that there has been no epidemic of cue damage due to the use of cases like yours. That doesn't mean however that having more protection is unnecessary. Just because nothing has happened to YOUR cues does not mean that damage hasn't happened to other people's cues.

In fact if your case is adequately protecting then having more protection can only be better. My sort of protection in your existing case would only provide for a big reduction in the chance of any damage to the cue occurring.

I will close with this story. I sold a case to a gentleman in North Dakota who told me this story. He owned a case very similar to yours except that it was a $2200 one. Inside the case he had more than $5000 worth of cues. On this particular case the side snap was defective, as happens sometimes with snaps, and the lid would unsnap with the slightest movement of the lid. So this man was constantly having to check the lid and make sure it was secured.

On cold winter night he and his friend were leaving the pool room and he slipped on the ice and the case went flying. The lid opened and the cues shot out across the parking lot and into a snowdrift. Late at night he and his friend were on their knees digging through the snow hunting for a $5000 cue.

All of which could have been prevented with less than $1 worth of padding and a little engineering to construct the interior properly.

Now, to you "extra" protection might be overrated but I guarantee to that to Jerry, the man who had to dig through a snowbank looking for his cues, the extra protection we provide is not only welcome it's also necessary to protect his high end equipment against those accidents of life that can happen to anyone.

In my signature is an interview where I demonstrate the main protective feature of my cases. Anyone reading this can go look for themselves and decide for themselves if the level of protection we provide is desirable or not.

Banks
11-19-2012, 06:25 PM
My cheap flip-open case has worked just fine in this Portland rain. As long as the tape holds, the ends shouldn't fall off. :thumbup:

JB Cases
11-19-2012, 06:36 PM
I really dont know of a case made from anyone that doesnt protect a persons cues as who the hell is going to throw their case around anyways with their cues inside of it.
I only know of 1 person that has their cue case thrown around all over the place and he checks his cue case that holds his cues in it at the airports directly into checked luggage with zero protection to his case and has been doing so for almost 20 years.
He has never had any damage to his cues and thats Efren Reyes who is probably only the greatest all around player of all time.Oh almost forgot to mention Efren uses a Jack Justis case.

www.justiscase.net

Cases made 1 at a time on time everytime.

What do you consider to be damage? There are two types of damage, structural and cosmetic. I would say that you are probably right that Efren's cues have not had any structural damage while traveling in the case he uses. However unless you have personally inspected Efren's cues before and after each trip you cannot possibly say that they have not had cosmetic damage. I do understand that you want to promote Mr. Justis' work and have a bias against foreign makers and me in particular Bobby.

But that should not lead you to make statements you can't back up. That Efren hasn't had structural damage is probably due in large part to the maker of the cue. These days cue makers are pretty good at building decently strong cues that can take a lot more abuse. That doesn't mean that we should subject them to abuse though. I kind of think that Efren doesn't much care about random dings on his cue as long as it's still playable. And at the end of the day we don't know that Efren has never had a structural problem?

How do you know that Efren's cue has never developed a funny buzz that he is not comfortable with? If such a thing happened he probably would not think to blame the case and the constant rattling that the cue endures with every jarring bump. Most people wouldn't think to look at the case as a contributor to the problem Bobby and this is my entire point.

The reason I build cases is to eliminate that issue. At the very least the case will not be part of any cue damage that might occur from rough handling of the case.

To that end I offer a replacement interior for Justis cases so that the owner of a Justis can choose whether to stick with the stock interior or opt for our extra-padded one. With more than 200 sold the overwhelming response has been that the customers feel that they have the best of both worlds, Mr. Justis' legendary workmanship and clean lines coupled with our fanatical protection. I don't see how providing people with peace of mind is a bad thing.

bad english
11-19-2012, 06:40 PM
I have a jb/j.flowers case made in 2008 (I think) that I love the best case that money could buy IMO. Thanks Jon...

jschelin99
11-19-2012, 07:02 PM
I guess it all depends on how you treat your case. If your case only goes from your house to your car to the pool hall in a gentle manner, anything will work. If you're a little on the clumsy side, something a little sturdier will be required. If you're killing zombies with your case on the way to the pool hall, you're gonna need something really solid.

Last I saw, case makers don't line the insides with sandpaper. Pretty much everyone uses some type of plush material, so I don't really see the inside of the case being a worry. If your cue falls out the bottom of your case, chances are you don't treat your case very nicely. If your cue falls out the top when you drop it, perhaps some type of closure (such as a zipper or a clasp) should be employed.

In all seriousness, if you don't care about looks, and are only concerned about protection, how much protection do you really need?

JB Cases
11-19-2012, 07:03 PM
My cheap flip-open case has worked just fine in this Portland rain. As long as the tape holds, the ends shouldn't fall off. :thumbup:

:-)

This reminds me of another story.

I had a booth for Instroke cases at the US Open one year and it was in the rotunda at the Chesapeake Convention Center for those who have been there.

Anyway I giving the sales pitch and telling the customers that the case was water resistant and would not allow water to go inside it nor would the leather be damaged if water got on it.

Outside it was pouring rain, very heavy. The customer was skeptical so I said pick any case off the wall and I will put my cues into it and set it outside in the rain.

They chose a 3x7 with nubuk leather, like a fine suede, cost $439.

I put my Schon and my Scruggs into the case and ran out to set it in the rain. We watched people running in and looking at the case being drenched and looking at us to ask if it was ours. Several times I had to stop people from picking it up. Anyway we left it out there for about ten minutes.

Then I brought it back in and wiped it down. Then I opened the case and the cues inside were dry. I told the folks with me to come back in a bit about 30 minutes or so and look at the case. They did and it was dry with no water spots.

__________________________________________-

I guess I am stupid but once I embarked on this case making adventure with a protection-first platform I have taken it seriously and tried to protect against as many things as I could given my limited resources.

I agree with Eric Hu about Zero Haliburton being the best protection you can get in a cue case. I have often recommended that case. But in my position and wanting to blend protection with convenience I have done what I could using commonly available materials to build a case that gives me a level of protection I think cues should have.

To that end I have dropped cases out of six story windows, I have run over them, I have left them out in the snow and rain, I have dunked them in a pool, I have beat on them with a baseball bat, I have thrown them across the room, and I have turned them upside down with hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of cues inside them hundreds of times.

I don't think protection is overrated.

wrldpro
11-19-2012, 07:32 PM
per request deleted.....

JB Cases
11-19-2012, 07:58 PM
I guess it all depends on how you treat your case. If your case only goes from your house to your car to the pool hall in a gentle manner, anything will work. If you're a little on the clumsy side, something a little sturdier will be required. If you're killing zombies with your case on the way to the pool hall, you're gonna need something really solid.

Last I saw, case makers don't line the insides with sandpaper. Pretty much everyone uses some type of plush material, so I don't really see the inside of the case being a worry. If your cue falls out the bottom of your case, chances are you don't treat your case very nicely. If your cue falls out the top when you drop it, perhaps some type of closure (such as a zipper or a clasp) should be employed.

In all seriousness, if you don't care about looks, and are only concerned about protection, how much protection do you really need?

It really depends on what you are doing with your cue. Obviously the most basic case is simply a plastic bag or two rubber bands to make carrying the cues a bit easier than dealing with two parts.

When I was younger I loved my McDermott soft case. It was awesome until the time a car door got slammed on it and broke the cue. After that I got a Porper which held my cues snugly and was a solid case. I felt much more comfortable with this one and used it for years until getting my J.EF (Flowers) leather case.

I expected that the more expensive case would protect as well as the Porper. It did not.

So I rebuilt it to have the same function as the Porper, to hold my cues snugly until I wanted them to be removed.

In the interim during the course of my career in case making I have taken apart dozens of cases, probably over a hundred. I have seen things in case construction that should not be there. Including sandpaper-like liner.

The case where the bottom fell out and allowed my Joss to slide through a ring of nail points was a BRAND NEW and unused Bentley. I just grabbed it to use it for transport to Mark Smith's shop to have the cue worked on. I dropped the cue in and the bottom came loose and the cue slid right out. Great thing to happen to a case maker huh?

But the bottom line is that no all cases are not made equally well inside. Not all case makers use the same plush material. Some use material that you absolutely would NOT polish your cue with.

I have taken some of the liner from such cases and gone up to cue makers and collectors and asked them if they would polish their cues with this material without explaining that it came from a case. The answer is not only no but hell no.

So if you wouldn't let me polish your cue with a piece of material because you don't feel comfortable with the roughness of it then why would it make a good liner for a case?

I look at like this, you build the cue and my job is to keep it nice for the player. That includes protection against both cosmetic and structural damage. The customer should be able to choose what level of protection they want from two rubber bands all the way up to an aluminum shell that can take 2000lbs per square inch. After all if the cue is broken then the whole purpose of owning it is gone.

I just happen to offer the upper end in protection. Nothing is stopping people from choosing cases with less protection than we make. But I would be stupid to not advertise and promote the extra protection features in our cases.

jschelin99
11-19-2012, 08:12 PM
That reminds me of a story. I decided to play pool, so I grabbed my case, went to the car, put the case on the back seat, and drove to the pool hall. When I got there, I took my case out of the back seat and put the strap over my shoulder, and walked into the pool hall. I talked with some friends for a while and found a game. We walked over to a table, I took the case off my shoulder, and leaned it against the wall. I opened up the flip top lid, and guess what? There were my cues, unharmed and ready for action. Amazing.

JB Cases
11-19-2012, 08:41 PM
Here is a link that got sent to me from a fellow az member and I think it is warranted to know who you are spending your money with since you have a choice in this world and since your hard earned money also is an investment and the product should be something that you should be proud to own.I have spents 100s of thousands of dollars buying cues and cases and it stopped me right in my tracks from ever buying from Mr.Barton.For the record I wasnt involved with any of these posts and if all these threads and statements are wrong than I will personally apologize to everyone whos names are mentioned in it.I also have been personally attacked from a keyboard and emails from Mr.Barton several times unprovoked.Just saying.....

Mr. Chamberlain,

You are not being truthful with the readers. Not at all. In our private conversations you have told me that you are only upset that I have been mean to Mr. Justis and if I were not then you would have bought cases from me. You have not been attacked unprovoked Mr. Chamberlain. You have tried to slander my person and my business in many ways these past few years and that was the provocation for the communicating with you privately. And privately we had many conversations where you responded also in harsh ways. I was mean to you and I address that below.

Now, you are heavily invested in Justis cases. You resell them, you use them to trade for cues. You have every reason, actually thousands $ of them, to dislike me for speaking ill of Mr. Justis' cases. I understand that and I understand that in our exchanges I have also been mean to you, calling into question your self-proclaimed professional player status and the high runs you claim to have. If I were you I'd hate me with every fiber of my being.

But I don't hate you. I understand the economic impetus you have to protect your investment. I also understand your prejudice against anything not made in the USA. I don't agree with it but I do understand that it colors how you choose to respond when giving advice on products.

It's ok, we all have our biases and preferences. Those are formed by our experiences, friendships, loyalties, investments and the like. It's disingenuous though to pretend to be motivated by something other than our own biases. For example I am motivated by my own philosophy on cue protection. Fanatically so to the point that I have made people very uncomfortable with my confrontational and mean comments in the past. It doesn't matter if I was completely right or not when I get pissy with someone and shred them sarcastically it changes the tone to one that is hard to deal with for all sides.

I apologize for being a jerk to you in the past. I should have realized that you are only speaking from your own perspective. Now I do completely understand that this apology means nothing to you and that you will continue to needle and slander me wherever you can. It's alright, I am reaping what I have sown in that regard.

Still though I cannot allow you to state untruths without challenge so I hope that you will understand that every time you speak out against my person or my business then I will answer it with the facts.

And the fact is that this group you posted a link to is a place where the people I have been "mean" to have gathered to voice their displeasure without fear of being banned on this forum. The only person who has the bravery to speak under his own name is Eric Hu. And I have answered him in kind in that space.

I don't really want to continue this sort of dialog with anyone but I do understand that I have made many "enemies" over the years due to my low tolerance for bullies and my low tolerance for bigots and racists and willfully ignorant remarks. I have also always been aggressively defensive in the face of outright lies about my products and my business.

So while I have said a lot of things I am not proud of I have not said anything that I feel was untrue. I am not afraid for people to read the posts at the group you posted a link to. That's the John Barton you get when you attack me in a cowardly and anonymous way.

If you want to attempt to cause me harm, cause my business harm, cause my family harm then I will probably be a jerk about it. And when given the opportunity to say it in more forceful ways as I did on the google group I will. I am not a coward and I do not back down from telling my side of things. I am also not a hypocrite and I state clearly what my biases are for all the readers to see.

If someone doesn't want to buy a case from us because they don't like who I am then that is their choice. I also don't consider buying anything from certain people because of how they have treated me. Nor will I sell to some people because of how they treated me. But one thing I won't do and have never done is pander to this group or anyone in order to get their business. I reserve the right to be true to myself first. And of course I CAN and SHOULD be able to do that while being nice about it which is where I am at now.

If I have one regret over these past 15 years it's been that I didn't learn how to be extremely nice while still firmly asserting my point. I am trying to change that now.

- Let end it though with a testimonial that speaks to the investment aspect of your statement. - I don't build cases to be anything but an insurance investment. As I tell people you can have the best protection I can build for $50 and I will wrap as much decoration around that as you are willing to pay for.

My Lifetime Case

…. I have had many leather cases over the years – I can’t even remember them all – and was never really happy with any of them except for a little 12 case made by Marc Turcasso. Yeah, I’m pretty picky. But I recently received a 34 case John built to my specs – lots of design freedom with John – and I am extremely happy with it in all respects. It’s a relief to finally have my “lifetime case” to go along with my 28 year old “lifetime cue”. To those who think “built in China” means lower quality, I have no comment except to say that it’s not true with JB Cases.

Rich Klein

Rich's case - http://jbcases.com/rich.html
http://www.jbcases.com/cases/rich/rich-a-front.jpg

Atlatlien
11-19-2012, 08:43 PM
I don't understand why everyone is talking shit about JB interiors. I believe they are the best out there. Far and away better than the shitty pvc tube interiors in most cheap cases that have made scratches on my cues in the past. Much better than the felt dividers that don't go all the way to the bottom so your shafts and butts clack against each other.

With the sterling line you can get a cheap case with the same top quality interior that the $400+ cases have. Can't go wrong there. Seems like most in this thread have a vendetta against JB. None of that is answering the OP's question. This turned into a very lame thread indeed.

jschelin99
11-19-2012, 08:46 PM
Whoa! Easy, JB. Not once did I say or even imply you didn't make good case. My first post was directed primarily to the OP. Perhaps I should have quoted him to make that more apparent.

I have owned dozens of different brands of cue cases and they all seem to have worked just fine for me. Yes, if the bottom pops out of a brand new case, obviously that's not good. And, if you believe you make a better case than others, that's great.

But, my question was honest: how much protection do you really need? Most people in know take very good care of their cases, so the don't need a Sherman tank. But, ultimately the decision is up to the individual. That's why guys like you make a variety of cases, with different features, in a varied price range.

JB Cases
11-19-2012, 09:10 PM
Whoa! Easy, JB. Not once did I say or even imply you didn't make good case. My first post was directed primarily to the OP. Perhaps I should have quoted him to make that more apparent.

I have owned dozens of different brands of cue cases and they all seem to have worked just fine for me. Yes, if the bottom pops out of a brand new case, obviously that's not good. And, if you believe you make a better case than others, that's great.

But, my question was honest: how much protection do you really need? Most people in know take very good care of their cases, so the don't need a Sherman tank. But, ultimately the decision is up to the individual. That's why guys like you make a variety of cases, with different features, in a varied price range.

I didn't take anything you said as saying we don't make a good case. I was trying to explain my position and my thoughts on your question.

Sometimes I will put my cues in a soft case and go to the pool room. A few times I have actually used rubber bands even now.

I choose every time I go out what level of protection I want to put around my cues. It could be the rubber bands - REALLY I have used rubber bands in the past couple months - or it could be a fully padded tube case depending on my mood.

BUT

If I were to use the soft case and trip on the stairs and my cue would dinged or broken then I would be highly pissed at myself for not taking the hard padded case.

JB Cases
11-19-2012, 09:19 PM
I don't understand why everyone is talking shit about JB interiors. I believe they are the best out there. Far and away better than the shitty pvc tube interiors in most cheap cases that have made scratches on my cues in the past. Much better than the felt dividers that don't go all the way to the bottom so your shafts and butts clack against each other.

With the sterling line you can get a cheap case with the same top quality interior that the $400+ cases have. Can't go wrong there. Seems like most in this thread have a vendetta against JB. None of that is answering the OP's question. This turned into a very lame thread indeed.

There are things here that go way deeper than the simple question of which case has the best protection.

On that question the answer is easy. The one that prevents the most damage.

----------------------------------------------------------

But unfortunately over the years I have made some enemies who will go to any length to stop people from considering our cases. To the point of saying that the level of protection we offer is not necessary.

Now in my mind this is particularly noxious to tell the world that having a case that snugly fits your cue and keeps it from moving is not necessary simply based on a personal vendetta. But it is what it is and my failure to be amazingly polite to these people is what has caused this.

The fact of it is that, as I said, in every other field the BEST cases are padded and form fitted. When cue makers travel they restrict the movement of their cues as much as possible to avoid structural and cosmetic damage.

So why should any single person do less for their cues in transport than cue makers do for themselves?

JB Cases
11-20-2012, 01:33 AM
but is overrated to me. If you take care of your cue case, it will take care of you. Mine goes from the front closet to the Pool Hall, and back again.
I don't have it out in the weather, I take care to store it properly when at the Pool Hall, and I keep it away from from newbies and drunks.

I never leave my cue case in the trunk of a car, I keep it with me.

Yes, any container is probably ok if it's built so that the interior won't damage a cue and as long as the user tailors their behavior to the container.

For example I like to get in the car and throw my case into the back seat or even farther back into the cargo area. I leave it in the car with my $1200 Jensen in it in all weather. In fact my case stays in the car no matter what cue I have in it. Sometimes I might have $3000 in cues in the car for days and weeks at a time.

So for me I prefer to have a case that I know will protect against impact, pressure, temperature swings and moisture to a degree that I feel comfortable with.

I also often walk to the pool room and sometimes get rained on. So I like my case to be water resistant if that happens.

That's just how I use cases and I build them for how I would use them, worst case scenario type of use. I don't like to have change my behavior to baby my case if I am using a case that I know should be very protective. If I am using a soft case then I am more aware of what it can take and then I do adjust my behavior accordingly.

In short I build cases that you COULD use to fend off drunks and not worry about breaking your cues. :-)

--------------------------------------------------------

And this reminds me of a story.........just messing with you JC.

No really I have a story.

A customer sent me a story about his Instroke protecting his cue during an argument with his wife. He wanted to go play pool and she didn't want him to. His case was leaning against the wall and she drop kicked it like a pro-wrestler and fell on her ass without damaging the case. He said he would have laughed at the scene if it weren't for the gravity of the situation.

So sometimes you can be the guy who can take all the care in the world with your case and someone else will try to break your stuff. I build cases for that situation as well. :-)

JB Cases
11-20-2012, 02:24 AM

Here is our interiors:

Ultra Pad
http://www.jbcases.com/cases/black-knight/black-knight-r-interior.jpg

http://www.jbcases.com/cases/gillian/gillian-t-interior.jpg

Organic Rebound

http://www.jbcases.com/cases/citygate/citygate-ub-interior.jpg

http://www.jbcases.com/cases/Hephaestus/HEPHAESTUSzf-CUES2.jpg

Secure Tube

http://www.jbcases.com/cases/brettsbaby/brettsbaby-s-interior.jpg
http://www.jbcases.com/cases/brettsbaby/brettsbaby-t-interiorwithcues.jpg

CUSTOM

3x8

http://www.jbcases.com/cases/bryan/bryan-u-interior.jpg
http://www.jbcases.com/cases/bryan/bryan-v-interiorwithcues.jpg

Corktop 4x8 - This interior features a "stopper" to seal the case.

http://www.jbcases.com/cases/playhard/playhard-r-lidinside.jpg
http://www.jbcases.com/cases/playhard/playhard-s-interior.jpg

And many more here:

www.jbcases.com/casesbyname.html
www.sterlingcases.com
www.gtfcases.com

steveinflorida
11-20-2012, 08:30 AM
[QUOTE=JB Cases;3870311]:-)

This reminds me of another story.

I had a booth for Instroke cases at the US Open one year and it was in the rotunda at the Chesapeake Convention Center for those who have been there.

Anyway I giving the sales pitch and telling the customers that the case was water resistant and would not allow water to go inside it nor would the leather be damaged if water got on it.

Outside it was pouring rain, very heavy. The customer was skeptical so I said pick any case off the wall and I will put my cues into it and set it outside in the rain.

They chose a 3x7 with nubuk leather, like a fine suede, cost $439.

I put my Schon and my Scruggs into the case and ran out to set it in the rain. We watched people running in and looking at the case being drenched and looking at us to ask if it was ours. Several times I had to stop people from picking it up. Anyway we left it out there for about ten minutes.

Then I brought it back in and wiped it down. Then I opened the case and the cues inside were dry. I told the folks with me to come back in a bit about 30 minutes or so and look at the case. They did and it was dry with no water spots.

I was there and watched as John did this. Very impressed by his determination to build a better case.

Eric.
11-20-2012, 08:32 AM
Just to answer the original poster, without all the biased sales hype and long winded drama...

If you are specifically concerned with protection of your cues, primarily, I feel there is not a single case made of leather, vinyl or PVC that can come close to the tensile strength of an aluminum shell, like the Zero Halliburton case. Bar none.

http://www.zerohalliburton.com/about-our-company.html

If I did my unscientific torture test of 3 swings from a sledgehammer, which case do you think would be the best?

Eric >unbiased opinion

Eric

wrldpro
11-20-2012, 04:06 PM
per request deleted.....

Jodacus
11-20-2012, 04:22 PM
To the OP

The best case is the one you like.

I've had multiple hard cases but have
found that the convenience of a soft
butterfly case trumps the protection
offered by hard cases. The super
protection that most hard cases
provide is very seldom needed.

Air travel is a different thing
entirely.

Banks
11-20-2012, 04:30 PM
The difference for me is that my most expensive cue has been a pawn shop Joss with a Predator shaft. I was more worried about how I treated that thing outside of any case than I was when it was in a case. If a case is built that damages a cue, that's just piss-poor design/whatever.

If you need a case to: withstand a grenade, act as protection during a tornado, substitute for a washed-out bridge, fend off a Mongolian horde or to be a stirring stick for a batch of hydrochloric acid... you're doing it wrong.

As for the knock on Barton's products.. ask his customers what they think(you won't, because you know the answer).

I've got higher priority things to spend my money on and I'm happy as a clam with my special bar cue and cheap, lightweight case.

JB Cases
11-20-2012, 05:41 PM
Just received another message from physcopath Barton.It seems he wants to reply with long post for everyone not being able to see the google group message.
Also if Jack Justis wanted he could buy the same case interiors that Jb Cases buys and uses but Mr.Justis doesnt like it

Correct. If Mr. Justis wanted to offer the same amount of padding he could. Mr. Justis has stated several times why he does not and that is fine.

I also want to say very clearly that we do not buy our interiors. We make them from scratch. Thus we can and do customize them on request. I have lost count of the amount of interior configurations we have done by customer request.

I was only pointing out that we make a replacement interior that now gives customers a choice. And that replacement interior can be any color with any amount of padding, can be made to hold more cues, can be delivered with custom spacers and so on.

As for my pm asking you to consider letting me be in peace you can call it psychopathic but I call it being polite to point out that you are doing more harm than good to Mr Justis with your actions in my opinion.

www.jbcases.com

JB Cases
11-20-2012, 05:46 PM
Just to answer the original poster, without all the biased sales hype and long winded drama...

If you are specifically concerned with protection of your cues, primarily, I feel there is not a single case made of leather, vinyl or PVC that can come close to the tensile strength of an aluminum shell, like the Zero Halliburton case. Bar none.

http://www.zerohalliburton.com/about-our-company.html

If I did my unscientific torture test of 3 swings from a sledgehammer, which case do you think would be the best?

Eric >unbiased opinion

I fully concur. However if you are asking which tube case offers the best protection then any one which has our interior will fit that in my opinion. Biased based on research.

www.jbcases.com

wrldpro
11-21-2012, 12:27 PM
per request deleted.....

Quesports
11-21-2012, 02:13 PM
Happy Thanksgiving!

Celophanewrap
11-21-2012, 02:22 PM
I built an absolutely hideous looking case out of a 4" PVC pipe I got from Home Depot. I'm convinced that thing could survive a nuclear explosion.
But in general I use a Sterling Superior case (3 cues) that I paid about 50 for brand new. For travel I built a hard case out of a couple of 8" concrete forms (also from Home Depot) that I pack the soft case in.
These seem to work out pretty well

swami4u
11-21-2012, 03:52 PM
I'll quote Al' from SW cues when i asked him that same question in Las Vegas yrs ago.....

"get any case that seals at the top"

Its the ones that go pop when you open them. I like GTF and Thomas (that you can buy today)

JB Cases
11-21-2012, 04:59 PM
[QUOTE=JB Cases;3871147]

As for my pm asking you to consider letting me be in peace you can call it psychopathic but I call it being polite to point out that you are doing more harm than good to Mr Justis with your actions in my opinion.

Well, each person has their opinion. Since I don't want to get into a tit-for-tat I won't publish the times you threatened to harm me using your skills as a (self-proclaimed) professional boxer. I don't hide from anyone and I posted my name and phone number and website for anyone to reach me. Anyone who cares to talk to me can do so and then decide if they want to do business with me or not. If not then not. With 7 billion folks on the earth I suspect that there are enough who like me well enough to keep me busy building them cases for the rest of my life.

2)Unprovoked keyboard attacks and email,facebook messages etc.saying you would slice my throat like your mother would do are kinds words and thank you Barton.

Nothing is unprovoked Mr. Chamberlain. As a self-proclaimed fighter you should understand that offense provokes defense. I had no idea who you were until you showed up on AZB as a big buyer of Justis cases. You then decided to interject yourself into my buisness. Prior to you attacking me on this forum several times we had never spoken a word to each other on the internet. Ever. Now, as I said I do completely understand why you felt the need to attack me when I was comparing our cases to Mr. Justis' unfavorably in your eyes. You are protecting your huge investment. Any comments which could tarnish the image of Mr. Justis' work could bring the value of that investment down. I fully understand your position.

3)I am not hurting anything concerning Mr.Justis or his cases from any responses from you as he doesnt ever need to make another case as he is already rich and does it for the enjoyment just like you thinking you and him are now friends.OMG Jack is so funny and is laughing his ass off at you actually thinking that.

Ok. If you think that putting up links to the old arguments between Mr. Justis and myself do not have a detrimental effect and Mr. Justis is fine with them then I am all good with it as well.

I also did not say to you that Mr. Justis and I are friends. We were once but we are not now. What I said to you is that despite everything I like him. I said that we have made a sort of truce and I will not allow you to bait me into saying anything negative about him or his work. Feel free to post my PM to you so that you don't have to work to interpret what I said and make the mistake of getting it wrong.

4)Im done with you and your little cheap chinese slave labor company and unlike you dont have a need to stalk az members everyday all day and all night as a job so maybe you could take some casemaking lessons from your workers to learn how to make a pool cue case and actually say you can and have actually made a case yourself instead of being a little shop foreman.

Ah yes, my slave labor. So, if I understand you correctly, earlier in this thread you said that you WERE considering purchasing cases from me but that when you read the things at the link you posted you stopped cold.

The fact that my shop is in China and according to you uses slave labor did not bother you at all? Only that I was mean to Mr. Justis in our debates? Only that I talked "bad" to people who made it a mission to antagonize me? That is what stopped you from buying from me and not that you think I use slaves to build our cases?

Well Mr. Chamberlain, you and anyone else is free to come to my shop unannounced any day of the week. Show up in Jiao Mei, China, near Xiamen and call 13959298606 and within five minutes of your phone call you will be at my shop. Bring an interpreter and you can interview the "slaves" and find out what their degree of freedom is. I only ask that you allow me to film your visit so we can put to rest this ridiculous statement you keep making on AZB that I use slaves.

I assure you sir that by using this slur you are making light of the fact that actual slavery still exists in the world. If you cared at all about human life then you would focus your efforts on real slavery and seek to eradicate it. The people who work for me are employees who are free to come and go as they please.

5)I assure you Mr.Justis doesnt need any money,however Ill be sure to give him another $30,000 in a couple weeks.I do enjoy nice american made products and am a true proud American and will enjoy having more Justis cases made to sell,trade,donate,giveaway or whatever to give people a chance to own a case from the greatest casemaker in the world and one heck of a nice guy.

I never said he needs money. Mr. Justis works from home as he has pointed out several time. This is a retirement business for him. Mr. Justis retired from a successful career early, he was a renowned rod builder and invented a reel that became hugely popular although he didn't get any residuals from it.

I am happy for you that you enjoy his work so much that have decided to invest heavily in his cases. All artists should be lucky enough to get a patron like you a couple times in their life whether they need the money or not. The flip side of this in my eyes is that you have chosen to attack me over it. As I said I fully understand that you need to protect your investment. I accept that as long as we are in the same space I will have to deal with you. That's life I guess.

6)Good luck and god bless you Barton.If you post a reply to this or stay on your path of harassment I will be there to respond back.If you do not reply and get back to making nice looking cases instead of stalking then you will not hear from me and maybe all of us can get back to the important things instead of this little kid bullshit.

I will be waiting on your answer. Because I was not the one who decided to make quips and snide remarks sir. You instigated this earlier in the thread.

Not only do we make nice looking cases we put the best protection available for these type of cases inside of them.

7) sorry to the op as when the word case pops up in a thread Barton always seem to attack someone and is the only case or cuemaker to do this.I hope he changes his ways and everyone can get along and move forward but I dont see Barton changing his ways.That being said I am changing my ways right now unless the attack continues.

Once again Mr. Chamberlain I suggest you look very hard at your own actions. I had not even said a word in this thread until you spoke up and attacked me with your snide remarks. And no you didn't mention my name but everyone who has been here a while knows exactly who you are referring to. If you truly intend to change your ways then make your points without attacking me and we never have to converse again. Stick to the truth you can prove and we won't have to interact.

JB Cases
11-21-2012, 05:02 PM
I'll quote Al' from SW cues when i asked him that same question in Las Vegas yrs ago.....

"get any case that seals at the top"

Its the ones that go pop when you open them. I like GTF and Thomas (that you can buy today)

That is a very good point. With all my tube cases I try to build them with lids that are snug enough to provide a bit of a seal. For the GTF cases we make I covered the joint with padded fabric to make a nice seal when the lid is put on.

Shazar
11-21-2012, 05:06 PM

Jb cases

Or at least jb interior. Ultra pad

backplaying
11-21-2012, 05:40 PM
I just bought an Instroke (Buffalo) 2x3. It's my second one. My first one, years ago, was an Instroke Cowboy. Lot's of room, strong, and uncommonly handsome.
They're also handy at a tournament where you can leave your cues screwed together. :smile:

I have a instroke 3x7. How do you tell a buffalo from a cowboy? Is instroke made in the U.S.?

backplaying
11-21-2012, 05:47 PM
Here is our interiors:

Ultra Pad
http://www.jbcases.com/cases/black-knight/black-knight-r-interior.jpg

http://www.jbcases.com/cases/gillian/gillian-t-interior.jpg

Organic Rebound

http://www.jbcases.com/cases/citygate/citygate-ub-interior.jpg

http://www.jbcases.com/cases/Hephaestus/HEPHAESTUSzf-CUES2.jpg

Secure Tube

http://www.jbcases.com/cases/brettsbaby/brettsbaby-s-interior.jpg
http://www.jbcases.com/cases/brettsbaby/brettsbaby-t-interiorwithcues.jpg

CUSTOM

3x8

http://www.jbcases.com/cases/bryan/bryan-u-interior.jpg
http://www.jbcases.com/cases/bryan/bryan-v-interiorwithcues.jpg

Corktop 4x8 - This interior features a "stopper" to seal the case.

http://www.jbcases.com/cases/playhard/playhard-r-lidinside.jpg
http://www.jbcases.com/cases/playhard/playhard-s-interior.jpg

And many more here:

www.jbcases.com/casesbyname.html
www.sterlingcases.com
www.gtfcases.com

I like the way your lids are made better than the instroke I have. I have noticed the leather hindge on mine is starting to tear. I also have to get my zipper fixed where the thread has come loose, its three years old and I'm a bit rough with it.

wrldpro
11-21-2012, 06:09 PM
erased this time.....

JB Cases
11-21-2012, 07:37 PM
Ok everyone I will say it jb cases makes a nice looking case that has trademarked the word protection as a great sales tactic.

Thank you. What we actually build is a very protective cue case. How nice they look is up to the buyer. Everyone has different tastes and we try to build what they customer wants.

When I work with large distributors I put our interiors into their production cases so that even people who don't want to spend $500 can still benefit from the extra protection we make for as little as $50.

I would personally be very happy to see all case makers copying our interiors to the point where we don't even need to talk about it anymore.

Now as for John Barton himself well whatever you think if you buy a case from him or not it certainly doesn't change my life and I actually encourage everyone to do so as long as your ok with supporting a person like him.

What sort of person would that be? I am a married man with a gorgeous wife and a lovely daughter and another child on the way. I believe in equality for all and fair treatment and truth in advertising. I do not pander to people in order to get their business. I do not switch my beliefs to get orders. I do not allow bullies to go unchallenged. If you act like a bully then you can expect to get challenged.

I was even gonna buy some cases from his company years ago until I learned about Barton himself and realized risk vs.reward was not there at all.i will always encourage any of my friends,clients and others to always buy what they want but if they want to know more about the company I will tell them.

You were? Wow, you NEVER even contacted me to talk to me. So you are saying that basically you have based your entire opinion of me on other people's words? All the people, including some major collectors, who have spoken well of me on this forum didn't factor into your decision? You are so fair-minded that you couldn't even have a conversation with me to discuss your case needs? Please forgive me if I say that I don't believe you Mr. Chamberlain. I think that you are making this story up to further your position.

And what do you know about my company? Nothing. But you don't tell people that you know nothing do you? Well as they say all promotion is good promotion.

Anyone who wants to know more about me can start here www.jbcases.com or contact me here jb@jbideas.com - my shop door is always open to anyone except my competitors. They need an appointment so we can hide the secret jigs :-)

https://groups.google.com/forum/?fro...rton--jb-cases
Now a few questions and statements for Barton-Wong.
I never said I was a professional boxer/fighter however I do have a winning record and after a heart attack and 2 heart surgerys I gave up fighting but anytime/anyplace you can try your skills or luck against me.

I would prefer not to have any physical interaction with you no matter what your professional level is or is not. Just making it perfectly clear that you threatened me with harm Mr. Chamberlain. You are more than welcome to post any correspondence between us if you are having a hard time remembering the sequence of the conversations between us.

As far as slaves that is a word of the 1700s/1800s.i do believe the word slave labor that myself and others have used is formatted to mean the pay rate for workers so how about you list all your workers and how much they get paid from your company and pay stubs even in Chinese would be ok as it can get translated.I can do it very easily but to let you know I have a policy that no one that works for me makes less than $20.00 an hour.

Actually it goes farther back than that. A slave is someone who is forced to work against their will and not free to go. You are perverting that by making it about how much a person is paid. This is a much different issue.

I pay my employees more than the average wages for the jobs that they do. I do this so as to attract the best people I can since there is a lot of competition for skilled labor in China. In addition I also share profits by paying bonuses when there is profit to share.

I very much doubt that you paid your retail employees $20 an hour when you had your billiard retail business Mr. Chamberlain. But since you said you did and you feel that telling us this makes you more credible in some way feel free to provide your business records and back up your statement.

Next could you Please tell us about some of your statements a few years ago at the cue makers assn banquet/Richard Blacks h.o.f. Induction.You had a few drinks but you know the statements as it involved Chinese girls.i know of a couple of collectors and a couple cue makers that heard your perverted pedophile statements

I am sorry but I have no idea what you are talking about. In fact I don't even remember being at Richard's inauguration. The last one I can remember attending was Leonard Bludworth's in Valley Forge. But regardless I am positive that I made no sexual comments about Chinese girls or children in any capacity whatsoever. You however did make such comments as is detailed in our only conversation on Facebook.

But to be clear, are you calling me a pedophile? I just want to know if you are calling me a pedophile on a public forum? I understand that you are saying that I made statements you consider to be what a pedophile would say but I would like to be sure as to whether you are accusing me of being a pedophile or not.

Edit: I am so disturbed by your comments I felt I needed to go back and look. I wasn't even at the Super Billiard Expo in 2009 when Richard Black was inducted into the Hall of Fame. My wife had just had a baby two weeks earlier. Your comments have been reported to the moderators Mr. Chamberlain as they have gone too far in my opinion.

Once again buy any case or cue any of you want and I encourage to just investigate where your money goes and who you support.Like I said Jb cases builds a nicely built and good looking case for the money if that's what you want.

I see. So to be clear you are telling people that I am mean-spirited, slave-driving pedophile who heads a shop that turns out nicely built and good looking cases?

The case preferred and used by more World Champions and Collectors than all others combined.

This is not a factual statement Mr. Chamberlain. Cases which are given away to professional players cannot be said to be preferred by those players per se. You need more evidence than that. Back in the day I gave away cases to a long list of professional players, to include many world champions. The difference is that I did not use any of their names in advertising unless I had an agreement with them to pay them MORE than simply the one case I chose to give them.

Being the fair employer that you claim to be you should understand that. The players whose names we used were given thousands of dollars worth of products and in a few deals were given money for their endorsements. Unfortunately as you well know players today are generally so broke that they will allow people to give them as little as one case in trade for the use of their name. I don't work that way and never have.

And I am not sure that your claim about collectors is factual either. I can certainly understand that you would want it to true due to your heavy investment into Mr. Justis' cases. But from what I understand and have seen first hand collectors also like Whitten cases quite a lot. Lately I have seen that they are into Phil Eastwood/Quiverz cases. Rusty Melton and Marc Turcasso have quite long waiting lists for their work. Rex Goulet has a long list for his work. Most cuemakers who choose to deliver their cues in high end cases used to use Fellini but now choose Whitten. Some have decided to use GTF cases and Ron Thomas cases.

There are a lot of great case makers out there Mr. Chamberlain but I do understand that you have fixated on one and being that you re-sell Justis cases I can totally understand that you would want to make statements that make them seem as if they are better and stronger and more popular than all other cases. Mr. Justis builds a fine product. We disagree about what level of protection should be offered but otherwise I highly respect what he makes.

You have made a good investment and you are working hard to protect it.

JB Cases
11-21-2012, 10:01 PM
I just updated our testimonials page with 50 pages of testimonials from satisfied customs from this forum. http://www.jbcases.com/testimonials.html

The testimonials are about JB Cases, GTF Cases, J.Flowers Cases, Sterling Cases and Wave Cases that we have either made or designed.

This excerpt in particular sums up what I am about.

Onto the inside. From what I understand, the interior was designed by John Barton of JB Cases, and he did a PHENOMENAL job. Both the cue butts and shafts fit snug, but don't need to be forced down into the case. They simply slide in, and with a light push with one finger, they find their home. They are completely protected from movement, and the soft padding almost forms to the shape of the cue. The first test I put it to was this: I put one shaft in the case, nothing else. I turned the case upside down, and the shaft didn't move. That is evidence of how well the interior supports the cues. Then I put all of my cues in, three butts and five shafts, and not one of them was difficult to get in or out. And again, they didn't fall out when I turned the case upside down. Incredible.

This case truly is a fantastic piece of equipment. I very highly recommend it to any and all seeking an appealing case that will protect their investments to the fullest extent. One of the best parts about this case, though, is the price point. It is extremely affordable. This 4x8 case was $150. The 2x5/3x4 goes for $135 I believe. At that price, you won't find a better deal.

wrldpro
11-21-2012, 10:02 PM
per request

JB Cases
11-21-2012, 10:18 PM
i didn't call you a pedofile.i said pedofile comments and when I heard this I didn't pay any attention just as I still don't pay any mind to you until your involvement concerning Mr.Justis and especially the unprovoked messages through Facebook.I will not tell of the people who told me and will find out more details to the exact point and tell you privately no in a post.im kinda sick of having to reply to you as I realize I have only ever had a problem with 2 people on Azbilliards and the other person even wrote an apology thread to me for everyone to see unlike you have had many dozens pf problems with people so I dont feel bad for you but i do feel sorry for you that you are so consumed with drama.yes i was gonna buy a couple cases that had some colored flower designs for i believe around 1,200 each at a vegas show a few years back for gifts and was gonna forget about all the negative until my friend Doug Baltrip exposed you as Roadie and your comments toward Jack.I make it a pattern or habit to try to spend 75k a year on billiard collectables but you have and had enough customers to keep you busy and your rich enough anyways.So no Jelly for you.Good luck to you and congrats on the new baby as they are fun and I just got a granddaughter and will spend more time with her instead of endless arguments with you,not to worrie I will be nearby and you won't have any problem finding another person to argue with.Have a nice life.

If you don't want to reply to me then simply don't make any negative comments about me or my business that are not true.

Frankly I don't care if you spend millions on billiard equipment. As I told you I don't pander to get business. You were DEFINITELY not going to buy any such cases from me at any Vegas show as MY custom cases have not been to any Vegas show until last month and even then there were not any "some colored flower designs for i believe around 1,200 each" there. I have only made three cases with colored flowers and two of of them were made for customers and one was made for the SBE 2012.

So please Mr. Chamberlain, get your facts right. You want to denigrate me so badly that you are flat out fabricating things.

You report that I made comments about sex with children at an event that I wasn't even at, that you were considering my cases during a show that none of my cases were at, and that you decided not to because of a website that wasn't even created when you claim you were interested in my products.

That's quite a trick sir. Are you able to travel through time as well? The only one of us that has made vile comments about having sex with Chinese women in China on record is you. Would you prefer that these comments be posted here?

I would except that just the mere posting of them is a bannable offense. As is many of the comments you have made in this thread thus far. You may or may not have to answer for them but they won't be forgotten. As for an apology there will none forthcoming from me other than I am sorry I spoke meanly to you. I will not apologize for defending myself against your slander and fabrications. You want to attempt to assassinate my character with fabrications and claimed hearsay then don't be surprised when I call you out on that. You say you have had problems with two people here and I guess one of them would be me. The other I suppose would be World Champion John Schmidt who doubts that you actually made any of the high runs you claim to have made. I missed where he apologized to you could you kindly post a link so that we can verify at least one of your claims? (I would also like to add that I personally believe you are the primary reason that John Schmidt does not post on AZB any more - less of you and more of him would be fantastic for this site and pool in general)

And if you want to read about my "character" then you can right here, www.jbcases.com/testimonials.html

JB Cases
11-21-2012, 10:27 PM
I built an absolutely hideous looking case out of a 4" PVC pipe I got from Home Depot. I'm convinced that thing could survive a nuclear explosion.
But in general I use a Sterling Superior case (3 cues) that I paid about 50 for brand new. For travel I built a hard case out of a couple of 8" concrete forms (also from Home Depot) that I pack the soft case in.
These seem to work out pretty well

In fact you can't get much stronger than a thick walled circle. In reality the strongest "tube" cases have always been the 1x2 New Image cases that were made with 2" PVC. They have since been copied by everyone but they were and still are the strongest plastic tube cases on the market.

So you are probably right that your 4" PVC case could withstand a quite a lot. And if the cues inside are padded and protected then that's all you can ask for.

peteypooldude
11-21-2012, 10:27 PM
Does all the sterling cases have your interiors? If not how can I tell which one has it? I can't afford a JB case but would like to get something you designed

JB Cases
11-21-2012, 10:41 PM
Does all the sterling cases have your interiors? If not how can I tell which one has it? I can't afford a JB case but would like to get something you designed

All of the models displayed on this site have our interiors - www.sterlingcuecases.com

Tiddler
11-21-2012, 11:04 PM
The best protection is from a tube case with a soft lining. Fabric interiors alone just can't match the protection of individual tubes. I've got a fabric interior in a few cases and I like to put my shafts in tip up. I can actually feel when the shaft's end slides down the wrap area of the butt. While I've never had any damage this can't happen when there are separate tubes. Sure they're heavy, but they protect like a tank.

JB Cases
11-22-2012, 01:26 AM
I have a instroke 3x7. How do you tell a buffalo from a cowboy? Is instroke made in the U.S.?

Since no one else answered you I will.

The Buffalo is generally all brown and made of oil tan leather. Has a waxy and slightly oily feel to it. The Cowboy is made of nappa leather, about the same feeling as most leather car seats, a dry slightly slick feeling.

Instroke cases are made in Taiwan and the Czech Republic. Those in the USA are made in Taiwan.

JB Cases
11-22-2012, 01:38 AM
I like the way your lids are made better than the instroke I have. I have noticed the leather hindge on mine is starting to tear. I also have to get my zipper fixed where the thread has come loose, its three years old and I'm a bit rough with it.

Well, I certainly can't speak for Instroke now but I can tell you that the way I build cases now is based on the lessons I learned with Instroke.

When I first made the production Instroke cases I used thin leather and backed it with cardboard. I felt that I was building a very solid case and the construction was based on how I personally used the cases.

Later I found out that people could be a lot rougher. I will never forget the time I was at an event and I watched a guy drag his Instroke case from one side of the room across rough carpet to the other side. It would never occur to me to drag a cue case anywhere much less the 40 feet from one side of the room to the other side. And I especially would not do it to a case that had cost several hundred dollars.

So now I try to build the cases in such a way that almost nothing can break. Not 100% there yet but we do try to eliminate as many of the stress points as possible and strengthen the ones that are unavoidable.

We put an awful lot of extra hours into our cases, time that I can only afford to provide because I am living in a land where labor is cheaper. But as the cost of labor rises so does the price of the cases. At this point I can't force myself to do any less than what we do. My greatest fear when shipping out a case is when something breaks. Not only the cost to me but the inconvenience and disappointment for the customer is heartbreaking to me. So for that reason I am committed to doing whatever I possibly can to build cases that don't break.