PDA

View Full Version : Suggestion: Don't even get slightly mad at your cheap production cue!

Autist
11-19-2012, 01:16 PM
As I dodged an easy shot for the 5353454th time a couple of nights ago, I got slightly pissed at myself and unfortunately abused my cue.

I usually, almost always, keep a pretty cool head when it comes to equipment, but I lost control that time.

I hit the tip of my cue onto the table felt and accidentally also slammed the joint area onto the table railing. In all fairness, I didn't hit it that hard, and it was one of the few true "wtf" moments in my life. I broke my cue :(

Anyway, what kind of wood is it? Seems very weird. And what's the green stuff inside the cue? Seems like some kind of glue. It's very hard, almost like glass.

http://www.holgema.ee/kii1.JPG

http://www.holgema.ee/kii2.JPG

http://www.holgema.ee/kii3.JPG

Time being, I am playing with my snooker cue. Any offers up to 200$ INCLUDED shipping to Europe (~40$) are considered. Please pm.

Moral: Don't buy cheap ass chinese cues and don't abuse your equipment!

krupa
11-19-2012, 01:26 PM
Moral: Don't buy cheap ass chinese cues and don't abuse your equipment!

And don't play rim shots (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rimshot) on pool tables.

LHP5
11-19-2012, 01:48 PM
What kind of cue "was" it. Can't be an "is" anymore.

Autist
11-19-2012, 02:04 PM
What kind of cue "was" it. Can't be an "is" anymore.

It was a JianYing cue. You can buy one as mine for about 25$

Black-Balled
11-19-2012, 02:26 PM
sometimes the cue must pay.

krupa
11-19-2012, 02:28 PM
sometimes the cue must pay.

Otherwise, how will the other cues learn their lesson?

jschelin99
11-19-2012, 02:29 PM
It's hard to say exactly what type of wood it is. There are a lot of black and/or dark brown woods. In the second picture, it looks jet black, so I would guess Ebony or African Blackwood.

As far as the green stuff, it's epoxy. It looks to be the bottom of the joint screw hole.

pt109
11-19-2012, 02:57 PM
Well, Autist, you're in good company....it happens at all levels.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qVXb7-xSLfo&feature=related
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ui_cLjswzJk

The sickest cue breaking I ever saw was Mike Carella breaking his cue
over a cheap 1-pocket game in '78.....
...it was made by Gus Szamboti

jschelin99
11-19-2012, 03:09 PM
I find it funny that every time I hear of someone doing the same thing you did, they say 'I didn't hit it that hard'.

Don't forget:
- "The check is in the mail."
- "Of course I'll respect you in the morning."

Autist
11-19-2012, 03:09 PM
As far as I am concerned, you got what you deserved. Had I been the owner of the table you abused in that situation, you would have been going to the proctologist for a cue-removal surgery.

dld

Luckily, nothing happened to the table.

And yes, I got what I deserved.

Never again.

SchoolinU
11-19-2012, 03:21 PM
And yet another use for duct tape...

chevybob20
11-19-2012, 03:41 PM
You would be surprised at the amount of force thats is exerted on the cue when you hit it on the joint. I watched Jeremy Jones snap his like that at Derby city three to four years ago. It was exactly the way you snapped yours. I bet that his wasn't Chinese.

pwd72s
11-19-2012, 05:42 PM
Maybe you need to buy a $1,000 or more custom. That way, you'd think it over before abusing it?

RobMan
11-19-2012, 06:52 PM
Otherwise, how will the other cues learn their lesson?

That's why I always carry two cues. That way, one always knows it can be replaced! Add a couple shafts each and the combinations are many! :rolleyes:

scsuxci
11-19-2012, 08:02 PM
The green stuff is lucky Kamui Snot that will be available in
the NewYear.Its suppose to replace the Shamrock and will only
come in Green or Red.
This stuff is the real deal and silky smooth.Don't fall for the imitation
snot!
$35 dollars for a half cup
$5000 for a Ten Gallon Drum.

arsenius
11-19-2012, 11:33 PM
Yup, I did the same thing to a $600 Pechauer about 7-8 years ago. Just tapped the tip on the table and it fell apart. Don't think it has anything to do with the cheapness of the cue, but more to do with the fact that you're not supposed to apply stress in that direction!

bigshooter
11-20-2012, 01:32 AM
I watched Danny Medina break 3 Meucci cues in one tournament.

JB Cases
11-20-2012, 04:31 AM
It's not the price of the cue or where it's from. I have seen custom cues break from not much "abuse". One time a Schon literally fell on the floor and sheared clean along a wavy line in the wood.

One of the best cues I ever played with was a McDermott D-4 that had been broken at the shaft and glued back together before I bought it. I broke it two or three more times in the same place and each time I simply glued it back together and the next day it was ready to go.

One time I won a city championship with that cue after having broken it the night before. The shaft was glued and taped up with masking tape.

Then one day I was playing my friend some 14.1, not gambling, and I missed an easy shot after a run of about 3o something. I swung the cue not at all meaning to clip the table and I did and it broke on the forearm. Without missing a beat Andi said, "guess you won't be putting it back together this time". I didn't and bought my first Schon shortly after. I did use that McDermott joint piece though to start my tip installation service. Everything gets recycled. :-)

cuenut
11-20-2012, 06:53 AM
I wonder how many (if any) cues/shafts Mike Sigel snapped when breaking?

Ratta
11-20-2012, 07:06 AM
Well,
just my personal opinion: For things like that there s no excuse- just a bad attitude and showing no respect for material.

NO matter if it s 25 bucks or 2.500 bucks.

scsuxci
11-20-2012, 03:59 PM
Well,
just my personal opinion: For things like that there s no excuse- just a bad attitude and showing no respect for material.

NO matter if it s 25 bucks or 2.500 bucks.Thats very true,being
that its only wood this could happen to any cue ever built not just
the crappy ones.

jschelin99
11-20-2012, 06:37 PM
That's very true, being that it's only wood this could happen to any cue ever built not just the crappy ones.

Depends how it's built. If the cue is made from solid wood, like the cue that the OP broke, internal inconsistencies in the wood grain can make for an unknown weak spot just waiting to be broken by a "not very hard" smack. I have seen many broken cues that the owner swore they didn't hit it very hard. Every broken cue has been solid wood like this one.

Many cue makers, including me, core their cues by boring completely through the forearms and handles, and gluing in dowels. Coring has many advantages, including making the cue much stronger.

lfigueroa
11-20-2012, 06:54 PM
It's a funny thing about snapping sticks.

A few years ago I had the opportunity to play Grady for a couple of days at his room in Lexington, SC. Grady, as always, was a gracious host.

The second day I was there a fellow came in and apologized to Grady for something that had happened the night before. I'm not sure, but I think it involved the breakage of a cue. Anywhos, all is forgiven and forgotten and we're having a good laugh and the fellow starts telling the story of another "incident," relating that in this case, a player who was shooting poorly got to the point of holding his cue at arms length and said to it, "One more, and that's it for you, Big Daddy."

Well, the line struck me as pretty funny and I just remembered it and was thinking about other memorable cue incidents. Ferinstance, I was told by the old timers around here that a pretty well known St. Louis player (not Louie) use to have a reputation for breaking sticks (as did a contemporary of his -- a much lesser known player). They said that in one month, the rail birds counted nine cue sticks broken by the better known player and ten by the other fellow. The final act in this 30 days of carnage was the lesser known fellow losing a set for a healthy wager, calmly leaving the pool hall, emptying out his rather large cue case on the sidewalk, carefully lining up five cues (with shafts) on the curbstone and driving over them as he left the pool hall, never to be seen again.

We also used to have in this area a well known, rather large (physically and figuratively) fish who liked to toss his pool cue around when defeat came his way. On one occasion, he threw his cue, javelin style, at a wall. A perfectly shaped cue-sized hole remains in the pool hall wall to this day. On another occasion, this player left the pool hall and, once again javelin style, threw his cue onto the pool hall roof and drove off to nurse his rage.

More recently, we had another fellow who owned a pretty expensive Meucci. He dogged a ball and stuck the butt of the cue into a corner pocket. His reputation for cue destruction was pretty well known, so several of the regulars yelled out, "Don't do it, I'll give you a hundred for the cue!" He just smiled at 'em and yanked sideways anyway, dismembering the cue.

I was in attendance the night this last fellow I mentioned took his frustrations out on another Meucci. To get the visual image on this one, you have to know that at this particular pool hall the bathrooms are in a small alcove a few feet away from the money table. This guy lost a set and calmly walked into the alcove towards the bathrooms. The next thing we knew there was the most incredible stream of epithets pouring out of the alcove, accompanied by the sounds of splintering wood from the Meucci being pounded against the floor. This went on for a fair period of time and, at one point, a part of the shaft came (dare I say it?) squirting out of the alcove, end-over-end at about 50 mph and almost impaled one of the regulars sitting against the wall. When it was over, the fellow came out, deposited the several pieces the cue was now in into a trash can, smiled at the regulars and said, "I feel much better now."

Thankfully, it's a lot calmer around here nowadays :-)

Lou Figueroa

The Kiss
11-20-2012, 07:20 PM
One of my buddies tells a story how he threw a 80s McDermott D series cue javelin style into a wall, he claims it went into the drywall up to the joint, he pulled it back out chalked it and kept on shooting with it..I think he still has the cue today

pt109
11-20-2012, 07:29 PM
Depends how it's built. If the cue is made from solid wood, like the cue that the OP broke, internal inconsistencies in the wood grain can make for an unknown weak spot just waiting to be broken by a "not very hard" smack. I have seen many broken cues that the owner swore they didn't hit it very hard. Every broken cue has been solid wood like this one.

Many cue makers, including me, core their cues by boring completely through the forearms and handles, and gluing in dowels. Coring has many advantages, including making the cue much stronger.

You have just made me be a believer in coring, sir.
Thanx for that explanation.