PDA

View Full Version : cue tip replacement sugestion

billf59
11-19-2012, 02:10 PM
I don,t post much but I would like a suggestion on replacing my tip I been using a Morie on a predator 314 shaft but it is time to replace it I have never been happy with the hit. I would like a little softer hit with lot of grab on the cue ball thanks for any suggestions

jschelin99
11-19-2012, 02:20 PM
By "grab on the cue ball", do you mean you want to transfer more English to the cue ball, or you want to miscue less?

It might seem odd to a lot of people, but you get more English with a harder tip than a softer tip. However, softer tips are more forgiving on miscues than harder tips. That's why medium tips are so popular. They're like the Goldilocks of tips.

There are a lot of very good tips on the market, and I'm sure you'll get a million different responses claims their favorite tip is the best. Unfortunately, just because someone tells you brand X tip is the best, you'll never know until you try one for yourself.

That being said, my personal favorites in order are: Moori, Tiger Onyx, and Kamui. I haven't personally played with one, but have heard many good things about Tom Hay's Ultraskin Layered tips.

Good luck finding a tip that works well for you.

Black-Balled
11-19-2012, 02:20 PM
pooldawg8's dawg duds sound like the call!

billf59
11-19-2012, 02:26 PM
yes I mean more English spin

LHP5
11-19-2012, 02:27 PM
that snipper tip......or is it snipey tip? Wait wait I think it's snitter tip. Oh never mind it's sniper tip.

jschelin99
11-19-2012, 03:02 PM
yes I mean more English spin

Assuming you've been playing with a Moori medium, considering trying a Moori hard.

If you're looking to change brands, here's something I learned along the way. Depending on the leather tanning process, there are brown tips and there are black tips. I'm no expert in tip making, so I have no idea what the difference is between the brown and black tips. Hell, it could just be black dye for all I know.

Anyway, what I have found is that black tips are a touch harder than brown tips even though they are labeled the same hardness. For instance, I've personally played with a Moori medium for a long time and I love it, but I'm always trying the newest tips on the market so I can see what's what and which tips to stock for my customers. Years ago, I tried a Kamui brown medium. I liked it just fine. In my opinion, it felt and played identical to a Moori medium. Then I tried a Kamui black medium. It also played fine, but I instantly felt it was significantly harder.

So, if you want more English, try a Moori hard, Tiger Onyz, Tiger Sniper, or Kamui black medium. If you want a softer hit, try a Moori soft or Kamui brown soft, or Kamui black super soft.

PaulieB
11-19-2012, 06:17 PM
I am a fan of the Onyx also. Tom's Ultraskin tips are getting great reviews and I doubt you could go wrong going that route either.

RobMan
11-19-2012, 06:58 PM
Is it not a problem though that different manufacturers have differing durometer ratings for the same type of tip; i.e., soft, medium, hard. Some manufacturers very significantly within their own line. I recall a thread here some time ago where someone took a buch of random durometer readingson various tips. It was pretty eye opening.

cool_hand_ljb
11-19-2012, 07:31 PM
Milk duds play vary well for me. They give me the grab feeling you are talking about. The only way to really know is trying different tips on your cue. I did this by using two different tips on two shafts until I found what works for me. Start with less expensive tips and hopefully you will find one that works for you. Layered tips are good but I play a lot and have found that they glaze over too quickly for my taste. Hope thus helps. Good luck.

swisslife77
11-20-2012, 12:09 AM
Tiger sniper: never mushroom
Tad's soft: solid and quiet hit but a bit less forgiving
kamui ss

The sniper may surprise you! Feels soft and hit hard, plus keep shape forever!
Only disadvantage, 6/8 months of life, than start to get too hard and miscue.

My .02 cents!

:-)

Patrick Johnson
11-20-2012, 01:44 AM
...you get more English with a harder tip
No tip produces more spin than another. A harder tip cushions the impact less, but you can get the same effect with a softer tip by hitting a little harder - and all you get either way is higher RPMs, which is not "more spin". More spin in pool means higher spin-to-speed ratio, which can only be achieved by hitting farther from center, not by using another tip.

Valid reasons for a harder tip are:
- you can stroke slightly softer and get the same CB speed
- they don't compress as much over time, so consistency is greater
- they don't mushroom as much, so need less grooming
- they might last longer
- you might like the extra feedback from the less cushioned hit

I like harder tips for all but the last reason (don't like too much "jarring" impact"). The tip I like best for having all the good features of a harder tip without the rock-like feel and sound is Moori hard ("quick").

pj
chgo

jmf041
11-20-2012, 01:55 AM
I used moori medium and liked it.
but I use a multitude of tips.
cue: Schon
OB1- Tiger medium
Schon stock shaft- Sniper

Poison AR1
- Sarin.. have used one layer in like 6 months i think its good just hard for me to get my hands on

Players
- Triangle.. cheap hard and plays phenomenally well

If I had my choice of the only tip I would be able to use I would like something between a Triangle and a Sniper.. But this is like choosing the shaft you like I hate preds, my team loves them and thats all they use, I like OB1 and stock maple. So the choice is yours dont let naysayers persuade you one way or another just listen to facts

oldplayer
11-20-2012, 05:42 AM
i also have the predator 314 shaft...started with lepro...yuk
then moori medium.....mushroomed badly
kamui ss black.......glazed over every day
sniper .....liked it...no mushrooming no glazing...good "feel"
onyx......similar to sniper except when 1/2 used started miscueing
going back to sniper next week

Mr Hoppe
11-20-2012, 06:57 AM
I don,t post much but I would like a suggestion on replacing my tip I been using a Morie on a predator 314 shaft but it is time to replace it I have never been happy with the hit. I would like a little softer hit with lot of grab on the cue ball thanks for any suggestions

The standard Everest tip that most 314s come with meet both of those two criteria quite nicely. IMO, the Snipers are a little firmer than the Everest and do not allow as much spin.