PDA

View Full Version : Forum Speed

TATE
11-20-2012, 05:10 PM
So far so good.. I'm clockin'.

Yippee ki-yay!

measureman
11-20-2012, 05:18 PM
The speed so far is much improved. Thanks.
But did you have to shut it down in the middle of the day?
I had to work non stop all day. Thats an outrage.I can't live like this.:mad:

cueaddicts
11-20-2012, 05:20 PM
Seems much faster.... :thumbup:

JB Cases
11-20-2012, 05:26 PM
Wow!!!!!

The whole time I thought it was on my side.

Super fast now.

www.jbcases.com

Tramp Steamer
11-20-2012, 05:30 PM
Damn! What did you guys do? I just answered a post that was dated three weeks from Friday. :smile:

SpiderWebComm
11-20-2012, 05:38 PM
Wow --- look how fast it is. Ain't that somethin'?

Fatboy
11-20-2012, 05:42 PM
its great here, thanks Mike!!!!!

Mark Griffin
11-20-2012, 05:53 PM
Like lightening!

Much faster than Jerry or mike! Lol

Markg

sfleinen
11-20-2012, 05:56 PM
Wow --- look how fast it is. Ain't that somethin'?

Yup, ain't that somethin'? :D Let's make sure it stands the test of uptime...

rayjay
11-20-2012, 06:10 PM
Speed's good.

TATE
11-20-2012, 08:33 PM
Speed's good.

AZ is on Steroids! Will someone tell us what you guys did to fix it?

just kick'n
11-20-2012, 09:17 PM
Thanks to the mods for the good work on the site. The speed is great for me.

sfleinen
11-21-2012, 07:13 AM
AZ is on Steroids! Will someone tell us what you guys did to fix it?

Chris:

I wouldn't count chickens before they hatch, but the hatchin's looking pretty good so far.

There were many things that were done (and many issues found) since the quest/diagnosis began. The forum speed problems were actually an "onion" whose skin we had to peel back, layer by layer.

There *were* some significant network connectivity issues in the beginning -- obvious speed/duplex mismatch problems between the AZB server and the network switch ports it was connecting to -- which we had to work with a third-party network operations center to resolve (we didnt have visibility or control over the network switch).

Then there was a SIGNIFICANT reverse DNS resolution issue (IP Address -> fully-qualified domain name) whereby, again, we had to work with the third-party to resolve, as well as put a workaround in ourselves (i.e. standing up our own DNS service and pointing the AZB server to itself for DNS).

All through this, Mike H. was working on the database end, optimizing things, etc. We noticed then, after remediating the network connectivity and DNS issues, that there was another layer to the onion. Whereas before the speed issues were constant, this time, they were inconsistent (i.e. it would be slow, and then suddenly speed up again).

This last thing done was a hardware upgrade, to make sure the database was on the fastest hard drive technology possible -- to make sure the database queue can get serviced and purged as fast (as possible, anyway) as requests coming in.

Know this -- we're not done yet, and work is ongoing. There are some further upgrades planned in the future.

-Sean

TATE
11-21-2012, 07:46 AM
Chris:

I wouldn't count chickens before they hatch, but the hatchin's looking pretty good so far.

There were many things that were done (and many issues found) since the quest/diagnosis began. The forum speed problems were actually an "onion" whose skin we had to peel back, layer by layer.

There *were* some significant network connectivity issues in the beginning -- obvious speed/duplex mismatch problems between the AZB server and the network switch ports it was connecting to -- which we had to work with a third-party network operations center to resolve (we didnt have visibility or control over the network switch).

Then there was a SIGNIFICANT reverse DNS resolution issue (IP Address -> fully-qualified domain name) whereby, again, we had to work with the third-party to resolve, as well as put a workaround in ourselves (i.e. standing up our own DNS service and pointing the AZB server to itself for DNS).

All through this, Mike H. was working on the database end, optimizing things, etc. We noticed then, after remediating the network connectivity and DNS issues, that there was another layer to the onion. Whereas before the speed issues were constant, this time, they were inconsistent (i.e. it would be slow, and then suddenly speed up again).

This last thing done was a hardware upgrade, to make sure the database was on the fastest hard drive technology possible -- to make sure the database queue can get serviced and purged as fast (as possible, anyway) as requests coming in.

Know this -- we're not done yet, and work is ongoing. There are some further upgrades planned in the future.

-Sean

So far so good, Sean, congratulations. We truly appreciate the effort - it makes the user experience so much better.

CreeDo
11-21-2012, 07:50 AM
C-C-C-COMBO BREAKERRRRRRRRR

I'm having the same issues as I ever was. First minute of browsing was fine. Now I've had one private message reply timeout, and two threads also. edit: and this reply.

Sorry to be debbie downer. I appreciate the hard work so far, and I see you guys are still on it.